Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOYLESPORTS

• 24-09-2014 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I must start this off by saying this company have left a real sour taste in my mouth and I think a bit of false advertising may be going on here allegedly.
    About 6 months ago I was in one of the BOYLESPORT shops. I saw a big add behind the cashier counter saying that if you give them your details you might be offered tickets for GAA matches in croke park. I did just that and the cashier lad filled out a template for me ie my name phone number and what county I was from. I forgot all about it but a few weeks ago I said I would contact Boylesport to see where the tickets they were advertising went. I sent 3 emails to one lady without reply before I was then passed onto HR who told me they use there GAA tickets for competitions in stores. Now I'm a regular punter in Boylesports and NEVER have I seen a comp for GAA tickets and I replied this to the lady in HR and asked her which comps were the tickets as prizes. I got no reply to this question from HR only an email saying they again had passed on my email to another dept.
    So this other dept got back to me today saying that the tickets had been given out to customers already for this yr which to me is great I love seen big profitable companies give back something to their customers. Now I go into other bookmakers and if they have comps like this they publish the winners name and pics as its good PR for them and all very transparent but when I asked Boylesport who had won the tickets they told me THEY WOULD NOT be naming the winners !!!!!!!!. Very strange Im thinking as it would be transparent and we would all like to see who the lucky punters are. Now this is prob a silly question but I suppose they don't have to tell us under FOI would they...

I just would like a definite answer from Boylesports re this matter. I think it's all underhand and has left a really sour taste in my mouth with them. I have decided not to go and punt with them again and I'm wondering has anyone other stories like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

There wouldn't be a draw. Boyles would give the tickets to their biggest punters, that's why you never see pics or anything cos the punters don't want their business publicised.

If you are a regular in a particular shop they would take your details and monitor your spending in the shop and online. If you punt enough you get "rewards" like GAA tickets and the like. A friend of mine got complimentary corporate box tickets to an Ireland soccer match.

There's no competition and it's not underhand at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Wooooaaaaa a second here now. Your after opening a whole new can of worms. So what your saying is that you have to loose lots of money in boylesports and they will comp u stuff to keep you as a customer. And the ad they had behind their counters advertising these tickets were open to everyone they really were not the tickets were only for punters who have ac with them and loose lots of money. But why was I told by Boylesport HR that the tickets go on competitions then... This is very strange now from what you have said.

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Wooooaaaaa a second here now. Your after opening a whole new can of worms. So what your saying is that you have to loose lots of money in boylesports and they will comp u stuff to keep you as a customer. And the ad they had behind their counters advertising these tickets were open to everyone they really were not the tickets were only for punters who have ac with them and loose lots of money. But why was I told by Boylesport HR that the tickets go on competitions then... This is very strange now from what you have said.

That's just my understanding of it. I've never seen a sign for competitions. The lad I know who got the free trip to the soccer match is actually a big winner. He's a pro gambler and they wanted to keep his custom. He cant put a bet on without contacting head office. So no, you don't only get the trips if you're a losing gambler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I go into a lot of Boyle shops in Dublin and the only offer I have seen over the last few months was "Win Football tickets for Ireland matches (Boyles are the official bookmaker of ROI team) and that was by TEXT only.

The lad I know who got the free trip to the soccer match is actually a big winner. He's a pro gambler and they wanted to keep his custom.

That's amazing.
    I've never heard of a bookie wanting to keep a pro punter and/or a winning one at that.

Yes I'm punting a long time now and I have never heard of bookies treating pro punters who are winners. Bookies actually restrict winning accounts and sometimes close them and I know this for a FACT. We are getting off the topic here though. I'm talking about Boylesports advertising something something that they in my eyes do not seem to be following through with.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

They have followed through but you have no way of checking for certain
    and you won't find out either by the sounds of it.

Take anything said/offered in a bookies with a pinch of salt.
    If you took PP & Ladbrokes to a smaller degree, out of B&M shops with their specials, it wouldn't be worth while going into a shop nowadays.
    Boyles offer nothing apart from a couple of early price enhances where they are the worst price anyway.
    They spend more time pushing their Virtual racing, football etc nowadays because it's higher margin business.

Whiteshorts we can not be certain they followed through though. Why is it such a big secret that they have given the tickets to someone, its very strange to me.
    Im gathering from your email you back early in the morning before racing starts and you seem to know what your talking about and im gatering from your email BOYLESPORTS are really not a good bookie to deal with. They give worse early prices than other bookies is that what your saying. Why would people go in there then. I have stopped going to boylesports now to be honest and I must say I find Paddy Power do lot more specials than BOYLESPORTS ever did im quite surprised by this to be honest. Anyone else have any bad experiences..

I've never had a bad Boyles experience but have had a bad experience elsewhere. Vote with your feet and don't gamble with Boyles. I don't gamble with PP anymore. I only use Lads and Boyles

Yea actually doing that mate. 4 of my mate have or will be closing accounts with them after this they have told me. U would like to see some transparency from someone who has access to a lot of ur money and bank account details and my dealings with them on this matter which I felt was very black and white turned into very cloak and dagger stuff been passed on to 3 different for a simple answer which I still have not got. No one answered this but is it only state bodies that come under FOI or do companies like Boylesports who advertised this ticket malarky but can't tell me who won them !!!!! Very very strange the more I look at it wrote down even

I don't gamble with PP anymore. I only use Lads and Boyles

I would love to know the reasoning behind this?
    Of the 3 large B&M operations in this country, Boyles are the worst by a mile.

• Advertisement

I would love to know the reasoning behind this?
    Of the 3 large B&M operations in this country, Boyles are the worst by a mile.

Simple reasoning. I am only a very casual gambler. Maybe only two or three times a month and usually to have some interest in soccer matches. Only horses I back are for 3 races a year. The National, The Gold Cup and the King George.

The only time I've had a bad experience in a shop or online with the CS team has been with PP. So I vote with my feet and don't use them. I know they are nearly always better prices than Lads and Boyles but because I don't gamble very often it doesnt bother me tbh.

This is why I can never understand people complaining about a particular bookie. If you don't like them, don't use them.

So what I'm getting from ye guys in the know is to keep away from Boylesports as they offer the worst prices. Thanks for d info guys. Well I just don't trust them because of the way they have behaved with me with the advertising of match tickets who they can't seem to tell me who won them.!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Ive worked in many places (1 bookies included) where competition stock (match, concert,race tickets jerseys etc etc) is mostly handed out to good customers and staff. Its hardly a crime? The free items usually come from a 3rd party who tell you to raffle them off but dont really care what happens either way.

Well Grek all I can tell you is boylesports had an ad behind their cash desks and it simply wrote if you want to be in with a chance to receive tickets to a match in Croke park to support your county give your name to the cashier. So what your saying is this was false advertising by boylesports and they had no intention of giving these tickets away and this is why they could not tell me who got the tickets for the All Ireland. If what your saying is correct my friend its a very underhand sign of boylesports and I really feel they should not be supported by any of us ordinary punters.

They are the worst B&M bookie by a mile nowadays.

Was in there last week and wanted to back a football team at 4/6 on the screens.
    Went up to the counter and was told "oh, that price is now 8/15".

Me: "So why are you displaying 4/6 on them?"

"The screens aren't showing the correct price"

Me: "So why don't you take it down if it's not right?"

Blank expression

2 hours later screen still showing 4/6!. :mad:

Went down the road and had the bet at 13/20 elsewhere.

Complete and utter waste of space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Complete waste of space, will never take a proper bet, good luck getting more than 300 on a american sport bet, laughable really.
    Only want cartoon racing punters, also i would say they in a spot of bother as there paying very high rents in most of there shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Well Grek all I can tell you is boylesports had an ad behind their cash desks and it simply wrote if you want to be in with a chance to receive tickets to a match in Croke park to support your county give your name to the cashier. So what your saying is this was false advertising by boylesports and they had no intention of giving these tickets away and this is why they could not tell me who got the tickets for the All Ireland. If what your saying is correct my friend its a very underhand sign of boylesports and I really feel they should not be supported by any of us ordinary punters.

You have a serious hard on for free tickets and Boyle Sports.

You have a serious hard on for free tickets and Boyle Sports.

Not at all I had my tickets. What I have an issue with is if a company advertise something they should be able to follow through and at least tell you who won them. What comp in the world would not publish the winners of its prize. Hope your enjoying working for boylesports man.. I have so far 6 of my buddies close accounts with them and From the stories a lot of other punters are writing on here. I did not think when I started this thread so many people had quite serious issues with boylesports as they do.

Not at all I had my tickets. What I have an issue with is if a company advertise something they should be able to follow through and at least tell you who won them. What comp in the world would not publish the winners of its prize. Hope your enjoying working for boylesports man.. I have so far 6 of my buddies close accounts with them and From the stories a lot of other punters are writing on here. I did not think when I started this thread so many people had quite serious issues with boylesports as they do.

What comp in the world doesn't publish the winners of it's prize. Eh, the national lottery if the winner wants to remain anonymous. The only right you have is to know your result. Which is, surprise, surprise, losing.

I'm in and out of the bookies most days. I'll never make money, fact, it's just entertainment. My entertainment is in watching clowns lose their b0ll0x and start complaining about bent jockeys and donkeys who couldn't care less about the punter. I should write a book on it, it looks pretty easy to make money off these mugs.

As for accounts being closed down, what do you expect. Do you honestly believe that Bookies play a fair game. Anyway, not much fear of you losing much money, you seem like a right tight ars3!

What comp in the world doesn't publish the winners of it's prize. Eh, the national lottery if the winner wants to remain anonymous. The only right you have is to know your result. Which is, surprise, surprise, losing.

I'm in and out of the bookies most days. I'll never make money, fact, it's just entertainment. My entertainment is in watching clowns lose their b0ll0x and start complaining about bent jockeys and donkeys who couldn't care less about the punter. I should write a book on it, it looks pretty easy to make money off these mugs.

As for accounts being closed down, what do you expect. Do you honestly believe that Bookies play a fair game. Anyway, not much fear of you losing much money, you seem like a right tight ars3!

I think you have just shown your own ignorance young man with your last comment. I will not try and have a dignified conversation with you now. But I will wait for your "bestseller" lol

• Advertisement

And also comparing someone who wins €80 million plus to someone who wins 2 All Ireland tickets is a pretty pathetic comparison but in your eyes maybe not so I will leave you at that now. Best of luck with your punting.

I think you have just shown your own ignorance young man with your last comment. I will not try and have a dignified conversation with you now. But I will wait for your "bestseller" lol

Just one last thing before you do bugger off. There's this horse called Australia. Be sure to have your house on him next time he runs. What could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Big spending losing punters probably get the free stuff. They are the guys I'd be treating best if I ran a bookies

Just one last thing before you do bugger off. There's this horse called Australia. Be sure to have your house on him next time he runs. What could possibly go wrong.

Thanks for the "excellent" "knowledgable" information my young man, I may even put my holiday home in Kerry on the said horse also.

Thanks for the "excellent" "knowledgable" information my young man, I may even put my holiday home in Kerry on the said horse also.

Please do. And why not borrow another 20 grand from the Credit Union to lob in there too. Be sure to borrow it in the Missus's name. Just in case, like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

If you're a well liked regular customer staff will try and get you tickets, if you're a pain in the arse miserable bastard of a customer staff will not bother. It's not necessarily to do with winners/losers big punters/small punters its about how well liked and pleasant to the cashiers you are. They are the ones that are gonna be putting In the ticket request.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Big spending losing punters probably get the free stuff. They are the guys I'd be treating best if I ran a bookies

I would imagine there ain't many of theses guys around though. You can't keep loosing it has to stop surely sometime. I only wanted to know who won the tickets . Did not think this was a MI5 secret lol. I only wanted to see some transparency . Is that too much to ask from a very large company like Boylesports.

If you're a well liked regular customer staff will try and get you tickets, if you're a pain in the arse miserable bastard of a customer staff will not bother. It's not necessarily to do with winners/losers big punters/small punters its about how well liked and pleasant to the cashiers you are. They are the ones that are gonna be putting In the ticket request.

That's fair enough and I have no issues with that. If I was behind the counter as a cashier I would do the same thing. But WHY not tell us who won them!!!

Complete waste of space, will never take a proper bet, good luck getting more than 300 on a american sport bet, laughable really.
    Only want cartoon racing punters, also i would say they in a spot of bother as there paying very high rents in most of there shops.

Joke bookie alright but they have near 150 shops and opening new ones left right and centre. I have a mate who works in one in small town in north east and it makes on avg 15k a week, if you do the math it's fair to say they are hardly struggling.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough and I have no issues with that. If I was behind the counter as a cashier I would do the same thing. But WHY not tell us who won them!!!

Ah ok didn't realize this was a comp, I thought it was the ticket request thing. You sure you're not mixed up? I know they had a ticket request thing going for a while but didn't notice any competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement