Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-commerce, simple / ghetto tech solution and end-users

Options
  • 24-09-2014 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

A vague thread title, but bear with me.

A friend recently asked if I could help them sell a few items online, without a complicated engine - no Wordpress / Woothemes E-commerce etc, as there is not a massive inventory (maybe 12 - 15 items).

We settled on the most basic set-up I could think of:

Static HTML (well designed with Twitter Bootstrap and textures etc)
    Paypal buttons for individual products
    Customer support with direct email
    Social media buttons
    Any blogging (news) to be done with WP.com and embedded.

Now I could get this up and running in an evening and small improvements as we see fit, but the question is about the end-user:

The design won't be amateur, but as we're so used to seeing multi-step shopping carts, https:// and security badges etc to buy online - would a basic basic sales page turn away potential customers?

An FAQ and clear links to terms & conditions will be written and all contact details will be prominent.

Anyway, advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Honest, I do think that a site, especially an ecomm site, must have a huge perception of safety.
    Lots of people miss the https bit, so, for the perception, you can gloss over that.

Physical address, contacts, telephone - (NOT A MOBILE), returns policy, all that is massively important. A lot happens subconsciously with the end user - box off as much as possible.

Your site has to persuade the viewer that when they pay that their money is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Agree with the post above.
    Regardless how small the operation actually is, the customer is being asked to part with their hard earned cash so they need to feel like the business they are dealing with is a well established and trustworthy operation.

Not giving the potential customer any opportunity to question this trust is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I think you should make a virtue in the content / copy, of how personal, local and hands-on the products sold and the delivery/customer service is going to be. Go the other way - and don't try and pretend its a multinational.

The tone of the content could be folksy, very informal, personal and tell the story of the person behind the company. This would complement the simple nature of the design and of the website.

That would be one way to instill more trust, especially if the company is not long established.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Just a follow up if anyone was interested,

We went ahead with a simple static HTML solution (template, but well designed with owners input) and PayPal buttons.

I would recommend http://shapebootstrap.net/ for free starter themes.
    Plus related resources: FontAwesome, Google Fonts, ColorLovers.com etc to speed up the process.

The link was advertised via cards handed out at local markets and a few sales were generated, with customer service via email and the Facebook page.

All in all a small success. By no means a business in itself but it does now generate an extra 100-175 a month as a hobby.

Advertisement