Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking internet usage for staff

Options
  • 24-09-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm lookin got block all internet usage for staff, but allow certain progams that need internet (spotify, etc).
    There is a program out there to do that but I was wondering if there is another way via UAC or something. I was told I can create a new user in windows and make it a limited account but I couldn't figure it out :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Talk to your Systems administrator. You can set this up in active directory or on the router if it supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

davo2001 wrote: »
    Talk to your Systems administrator. You can set this up in active directory or on the router if it supports it.

The problem is we are a small business and we don't have one. I can get a computer guy to come to site I guess. I just though it might be handy to set up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Uninstall all internet browsers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Uninstall all internet browsers?

Not an options on older OSs and tablets / phones.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Not an options on older OSs and tablets / phones.

Fair enough, but you're not going to be able to stop phones really, when mobile data is around regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do you have a policy document written regarding Internet usage? If not get one drawn up and get the staff to sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

The problem is we are a small business and we don't have one. I can get a computer guy to come to site I guess. I just though it might be handy to set up :)

Most routers will have the ability to block outgoing traffic in some way. This could be either by address, port, protocol, machine, time, or a combination of these. Your existing router may not do exactly what you want but it should be able to put some restrictions in place.

Find the box (with many network ports) that connects your office network to the internet (it may connect to a modem depending on your setup) and get the manual for it. Some manufacturers use different terminology, but a scan through the manual should mention either Internet Access Control, Website Filter, Content Filtering or Block Services.

Apologies for the simplistic vague terms. I'm trying to avoid the technobabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What type of Router do you have ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

uch wrote: »
    What type of Router do you have ?

Its an Eircom router ZxXEL P-660HN-T1A

70343883162641368890578_511374709_1-Eircom-Zyxel-Router-p-660HN-T1A-woodbrook-lawn-boghall-road-bray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

70343883162641368890578_511374709_1-Eircom-Zyxel-Router-p-660HN-T1A-woodbrook-lawn-boghall-road-bray.jpg

The online manual for that model is not an easy thing to read, but you will be looking at Security->Firewall for defining rules / filters to reject outgoing traffic. Since I can not see the web configurator pages, I can't give exact steps.

If no one else provides them for you here, try over on the eircom broadband forum http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/bd-p/32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You can restrict access on this router by MAC address, so just add allowed MAC addresses to allowed config. Can't remember exactly where you do this as it's been a while since I accessed one of these, but a quick google should give instructions

21/25

uch wrote: »
    You can restrict access on this router by MAC address, so just add allowed MAC addresses to allowed config. Can't remember exactly where you do this as it's been a while since I accessed one of these, but a quick google should give instructions

That'll block all internet access though

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Nevermind that, where are you located, in case I ever apply for a job there?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

http://www.zyxel.com/support/download_library/product/p_660hn_txa_series_19.shtml?c=gb&l=en&pid=20110505131211&tab=User_s_Guide&pname=P-660HN-TxA Series&mtname=User's Guide

The second one on the list is I think the manual for your one. but it may not be :):) as it looks slightly different to the pic you posted but it may be of help/

NOTE: Do not do any changes to the device without backing the config up first See PG 224 21.3 The Configuration Screen.

This assumes you have the password for the router - http://192.168.1.1 is the home page for the admin. Login first and then look at the menu on the side for Advanced Setup > Firewall to see if its enabled.

PG 156 is 11.2 The URL Filter Screen where you can enable and block URL's

Again if you are not sure of anything then don't do anything or you'll rock in with no internet access and may need to reset the device which will lose any custom changes you have done.

Advertisement