Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 warping in peoples pockets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Its called group mentality and a lot of it is being displayed in this thread.

For example people using the Apple vs Android stereotype.

When Apple pay lots of Shills (example) to promote their products it usually grows interest exponentially until the consumer becomes their product.

If your in an Apple forum for people to discuss various products and releases etc from Apple and then you insult people who use Apple products calling them sheep who fall for stupid things like the microwave thing you have to expect them to get annoyed and pull you on that behaviour. Surely that's just normal behaviour from any person.

Apple the biggest company in the world ? Pfffft.

That title belongs to Prestige Worldwide.

Boats & Hoes

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

DubDJ wrote: »
    If your in an Apple forum for people to discuss various products and releases etc from Apple and then you insult people who use Apple products calling them sheep who fall for stupid things like the microwave thing you have to expect them to get annoyed and pull you on that behaviour. Surely that's just normal behaviour from any person.
    But he didn't insult you, or anyone who hasn't fallen for these tricks? He made fun of a subset group who use the same brand of electronic device as you do?

I don't understand the strong allegiance people have with a company who's interest is to the shareholders and advancing profits ..

If I bought something and it didn't work / worked poorly / failed to operate under normal conditions i'd be pissed off ...
    It boggles how people can stand in front ANY company and defend being shafted as a consumer after paying hard earned money for a product ..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DC403l

naasrd wrote: »
    I take it you have direct experience of this? Or are you merely talking through your pants? I've been using the 6 since Sunday, since then it's been in my front and back pocket, and I've had no issue with bending what so ever.

Thanks for your advice re seeking a refund but if it's just waffle based on hear say, you know where you can shove it.

Excuse me good sir, there is no need for rude comments like what you have posted. I was merely trying to discuss the topic on hand here . I have reported your comment to the moderation team here on boards.ie as I feel offended.

I don't have exact on hands experience with the phone no, but I've seen quite a good few posts about it from respected technology journalists to make my decision up about the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

papu wrote: »
    But he didn't insult you, or anyone who hasn't fallen for these tricks? He made fun of a subset group who use the same brand of electronic device as you do?

I don't understand the strong allegiance people have with a company who's interest is to the shareholders and advancing profits ..

If I bought something and it didn't work / worked poorly / failed to operate under normal conditions i'd be pissed off ...
    It boggles how people can stand in front ANY company and defend being shafted as a consumer after paying hard earned money for a product ..

He's having a go at people because they're Apple "fans", not because they did something stupid. The implication then being that many Apple fans are stupid.
    Rather than calling it like it is; stupid people doing stupid things. Surely you can see why people would react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

naasrd wrote: »
    I take it you have direct experience of this? Or are you merely talking through your pants? I've been using the 6 since Sunday, since then it's been in my front and back pocket, and I've had no issue with bending what so ever.

Thanks for your advice re seeking a refund but if it's just waffle based on hear say, you know where you can shove it.

Cool it.

That's obviosuly not what he was doing, he was clearly aiming that insult at anybody who uses Apple devices. It's the same stuff you always see in these situations. Nobody defends Apple because they're cult followers, it's usually down to somebody making a false/inaccurate statement and then they'll get called out on this.

I love the iPhone, iPad and Mac and currently own all three. It's what suits me and works, but if there's a problem with any of these then I'll call it out as it is, I won't blindly defend it. I also have no problem with Google, Microsoft, Samsung or whoever. And I'd never go into any of these forums and insult the users of these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

Reminds me of this ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usZBhHr4EE4

From 1978, the main slogan of Access was "Your Flexible Friend", which featured in many TV adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Now we have people coming on here getting really offended over sod all, and getting posters warned who actually do have experience of the device. You couldn't make it up. Getting seriously fed up of this forum with the lack of moderation on it. Everytime there's a new launch, we have an influx of new users offering their "opinions" whether it's wanted or not. Maybe some of the mods should read the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

It's a design flaw. If it was a nice looking bend they might be able to say it was built in "flexibility". If these people had started storing it in their shoe and were walking on it and were stunned that it broke Apple could reasonably defend themselves. But people store phones in their pockets. Its just what people do ever since the mobile phone was invented. It's not good enough to say we didn't design it to be stored there. And it's also not good enough to say well some other phones have had issues with bending. They were/are design flaws also.

So this ends in one of two ways. A free new strengthened cover (like they did with the iPhone4 antenna issue) OR a recall. Personally I can't see a cover being enough to satisfy the majority of people as this is a structural issue and structural issues tend to get worse over time no matter how much you brace them. If Apple dig their heels in then they will be fighting class action suits from ambitious law firms in every major US city for the next 5 years. But a recall is also a major event as it will cost hundreds of millions just to get the phones back from customers and in effect they will then be back to the design board for the iPhone6.

How Apple react now could be key to the future of the company. Cook and co probably know that and are probably in bunker mode with designers at the moment trying to work out the various options. I have a feeling MBA students will be looking at this as a case study in 10 years. A case study of success or failure is still very much on a knife edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

touts wrote: »
    It's a design flaw. If it was a nice looking bend they might be able to say it was built in "flexibility". If these people had started storing it in their shoe and were walking on it and were stunned that it broke Apple could reasonably defend themselves. But people store phones in their pockets. Its just what people do ever since the mobile phone was invented. It's not good enough to say we didn't design it to be stored there. And it's also not good enough to say well some other phones have had issues with bending. They were/are design flaws also.

So this ends in one of two ways. A free new strengthened cover (like they did with the iPhone4 antenna issue) OR a recall. Personally I can't see a cover being enough to satisfy the majority of people as this is a structural issue and structural issues tend to get worse over time no matter how much you brace them. If Apple dig their heels in then they will be fighting class action suits from ambitious law firms in every major US city for the next 5 years. But a recall is also a major event as it will cost hundreds of millions just to get the phones back from customers and in effect they will then be back to the design board for the iPhone6.

How Apple react now could be key to the future of the company. Cook and co probably know that and are probably in bunker mode with designers at the moment trying to work out the various options. I have a feeling MBA students will be looking at this as a case study in 10 years. A case study of success or failure is still very much on a knife edge.

Jesus , could you be any more dramatic. Talk about over exaggerating the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Jesus , could you be any more dramatic. Talk about over exaggerating the issue.

If a certain percentage of the phones are bending (and by media reports it would seem many are) then I think many Apple fans are under estimating the issue. I would be surprised if Cook and his team are taking this lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

DubDJ wrote: »

Yeah iSheep is just the word that people use when they are trying to be funny. I was trying to answer is question properly. Ive studied Apple and Google in depth as part of an Software Business Degree and it literally boils down to Group mentality at the end of the day for Apple and the scientific approach for Google. Its in the human psyche to want whats cool and what others have.

Apple are marketing geniuses. They've created the worlds biggest example of Group mentality. Us vs. them. Think different. Theyre like a mothers son who can do no wrong in the eyes of the mother. Even if they release an inferior, not fit for purpose product thats incredibly overpriced compared to others in the same performance bracket they still have people justifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rock2009

the iPhone 6 plus repair kit is out on donedeal, 59 euro if anyone is interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Cultofmac has a good article (http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/) about bent phones. Here's a list of other phones that have bent in the past and the fuss has blown over:

iPhone 5S
    Galaxy S4
    Xperia Z1
    iPhone 5
    Lumia 925
    Blackberry Q10
    HTC EVO
    Oppo
    iPhone 4S

People put Apple on a pedestal and when any flaw at all is found in a new design it's instantly called the worst design ever and they've lost their way. And within a few weeks it blows over, and within a year when the new one comes out everyone says how much better the design of the previous one was. Having seen this happen with pretty much every iPhone, it gets a bit tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Zcott wrote: »
    Cultofmac has a good article (http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/) about bent phones. Here's a list of other phones that have bent in the past and the fuss has blown over:

iPhone 5S
    Galaxy S4
    Xperia Z1
    iPhone 5
    Lumia 925
    Blackberry Q10
    HTC EVO
    Oppo
    iPhone 4S

People put Apple on a pedestal and when any flaw at all is found in a new design it's instantly called the worst design ever and they've lost their way. And within a few weeks it blows over, and within a year when the new one comes out everyone says how much better the design of the previous one was. Having seen this happen with pretty much every iPhone, it gets a bit tiresome.

The difference is those phones dont bend just from being in your pocket for a day or two and do you think its acceptable that the iPhone 6 plus bends? I would have thought with apple making 75% profit on the phone they could have thrown some better material in their

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

loh_oro wrote: »
    I have a Lumia 1520 which is bigger (6 inch) and It doesn't bend in my pocket. It's a bad design and it really is that simple. This should have been tested

Your Nokia Lumia is an inch thick and made from granite. Hardly a fair comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The difference is those phones dont bend just from being in your pocket for a day or two and do you think its acceptable that the iPhone 6 plus bends? I would have thought with apple making 75% profit on the phone they could have thrown some better material in their

Did you read the article?

All of those phones bent and most for 'no apparent reason'.

Stuff breaks if you're not careful.

Also, when every single post of yours in the Apple Devices forum is bashing Apple, I have to wonder why you're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Your Nokia Lumia is an inch thick and made from granite. Hardly a fair comparison.

I've the 920. All round Polycarbonate shell and Gorilla glass. In a fight between the phone and the pavement, I rekon the phone would win! Don't make them like they used to :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have you had first hand experience of the phone bending? Has it been documented as a wide spread problem or indeed a legitimate problem.

Its the height of hypocrisy to say that "fanboys" etc are ignoring the problem, excusing it etc, while at the same time jumping on a few complaints on the internet and spouting it as gospel and a widespread problem.

How about waiting for real proof that A. there is a problem and B. its a significant problem.

adox wrote: »
    Have you had first hand experience of the phone bending? Has it been documented as a wide spread problem or indeed a legitimate problem.

Its the height of hypocrisy to say that "fanboys" etc are ignoring the problem, excusing it etc, while at the same time jumping on a few complaints on the internet and spouting it as gospel and a widespread problem.

How about waiting for real proof that A. there is a problem and B. its a significant problem.

A few phones have blown up in a microwave , are you saying that if every user puts they're phone in a microwave only some of them will break?
    that there is no way of knowing that this will destroy your phone without doing it yourself and getting first hand experience of it?

All these phones are built the same , they are machined , designed and constructed the same.
    If you apply force they will undergo Plastic Deformation , Bend.
    The laws of physics , and mechanical properties of Aluminum don't change because you refuse to acknowledge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

A few phones have blown up in a microwave , are you saying that if every user puts they're phone in a microwave only some of them will break?
    that there is no way of knowing that this will destroy your phone without doing it yourself and getting first hand experience of it?

All these phones are built the same , they are machined , designed and constructed the same.
    If you apply force they will undergo Plastic Deformation , Bend.
    The laws of physics , and mechanical properties of Aluminum don't change because you refuse to acknowledge them.

If I post on the internet that X" phone has bent in my pocket do you automatically believe it?

I`m saying lets wait and see if it is indeed a real problem with the design before jumping to conclussions.

adox wrote: »
    If I post on the internet that X" phone has bent in my pocket do you automatically believe it?

I`m saying lets wait and see if it is indeed a real problem with the design before jumping to conclussions.

Well there's videos of people bending the phone with their bare hands , and a good few pictures of bent phones on twitter and other social media .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Well there's videos of people bending the phone with their bare hands , and a good few pictures of bent phones on twitter and other social media .

....but no videos of phones bending while in pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Branoic wrote: »
    ....but no videos of phones bending while in pockets?

Have you seen the amount of force needed to bend it? Easily reproduced in your pocket when sitting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Have you seen the amount of force needed to bend it? Easily reproduced in your pocket when sitting down.

The "bare hands" videos I've seen have shown considerable force - hands visibly straining / shaking. You're not going to get that sort of force in a pocket unless you're doing something really stupid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Not easily reproduced at all, I just checked with an iPhone 6. A real one you know, not one I've read about or watched on YouTube.

It's fairly solid. In fact its incredibly solid. Trying to flex it any in direction and there's pretty much no give at all.

The only way I could image it getting bent in a pocket is if someone put it in their back pocket and leant a substantial part (most) of their bodyweight against it over a prolonged period.

Seating accommodation may have been a requirement for you when you selected the Nokia Lumia. For me personally, I was looking for a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Doesn't the guy that bent the phone say that it hurt to do so? Meaning it wasn't as easy as people are letting on.

The solution is simple. You get a phone and it bends in your pocket you send it back and get a refund.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Not easily reproduced at all, I just checked with an iPhone 6.

Stopped reading here.

The problems with the 6+

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement