Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 warping in peoples pockets

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

papu wrote: »
    Stopped reading here.

The problems with the 6+

In stark contrast to the first 18 posts and the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Somebody needs to publish a lab test in the next twelve hours or so for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Has anyone here, who bought a 6 Plus or even a 6, has a bent phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Jofspring wrote: »

The solution is simple. You get a phone and it bends in your pocket you send it back and get a refund.

Except Apple are refusing refunds as its your own fault.

Everyone just pay attention because the amount of repetitive nonsense now in this thread is silly.

1 - Its the 6Plus which is affected. Stop saying your 6 isnt bent. We know.
    2 - The phones bent in pockets and bare hands. Stop saying it only affects a few phones as they are all built the same so it affects 100% of them! Thats indisputable. Only a small percentage have bent but 100% of them have the propensity to bend.
    3 - Other phones have also bent. We know BUT how have they bent? Driving over them in a car is far different from having it in your pocket for a while.
    4 - Apple are refusing refunds to the people who tried already. Will they change their minds? When this creates enough attention they will alright.

Stop repeating yourself and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah for Christ sake! This thread is a complete disgrace! Anyone who watched the youtube videos surely came across the unbox video where the guy tried to bend an HTC One, a Nokia, a Moto and an iPhone 6 and 6+ to assess their bendability. In the end the only one he had any real success with was the 6+. The 6 is pretty stable and I'd say in normal usage practically impervious to bending. That is known.

There are some reports of 6+'s bending in pockets. If that's happening routinely in regular use then we'll get more and more reports. Right now there are, to my knowledge, no real numbers supporting the size of the issue.

If it's 5-10% or more of phones then those users definitely deserve some remedy from Apple. One thing I like about Apple products is that they're well designed and built. If that's patently not the case here then shame on Apple. I'd expect them to swallow the consequences. Every company has it's failures so I'd chalk it up as that. If, however, they have started on a route Mercedes embarked on in the 90's where they let quality and materials slip to reap bigger profits, then as an Apple customer I might reconsider my choices. Right now though there's no evidence to expect this is the case.

For the love of whatever deity you subscribe to, or don't as the case may be, stop posting comments like "Well I tried to bend my iPhone 6 and it didn't work". Tell us when you've totaled your 6+ instead!

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    If it's 5-10% or more of phones then those users definitely deserve some remedy from Apple.

There all made from the same material. How could only 10% of phones be affected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

4 - Apple are refusing refunds to the people who tried already. Will they change their minds? When this creates enough attention they will alright.

I'd say Apple are still investigating the issue. Whatever they are saying now is likely to change once they confirm if there is a problem and what the solution is likely to be. They stopped rolling out iOS8 once the problems came to light with it so I'd expect them to act fairly quickly once their quality department have checked a few iPhone6+ devices.

What could extend it however is if the problem is due to a faulty batch of one component and the current stock they have in manufacturing are from a different batch and are not bending. In that case they may need to bring back some of the bent devices and that will add to the time taken to get to a solution.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Has anyone here, who bought a 6 Plus or even a 6, has a bent phone?

Nope, I must be sitting on it wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Everyone just pay attention because the amount of repetitive nonsense now in this thread is silly.

Stop repeating yourself and move on.

You might take your own advice there, chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

There all made from the same material. How could only 10% of phones be affected?

Could be one batch of a faulty component. You are talking millions of phones. They don't all come from the same batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It is possible that there was a flaw in a batch that is now causing this. It could well be just a poor design but for now we can't say for certain. Its a good laugh seeing people pretend that its ok. No phone should bend in people's pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

You often hear of certain products been recalled identified by serial number and not just a product name. Certain components may be an issue.
    So you can have a percentage of sold products effected. "Bad batch"!!!!!!

Either way, you'd expect Apple to replace or fix the effected products.

You often hear of certain products been recalled identified by serial number and not just a product name. Certain components may be an issue.
    So you can have a percentage of sold products effected. "Bad batch"!!!!!!

Either way, you'd expect Apple to replace or fix the effected products.

Well see soon enough but i doubt some are made from one type of metal and others from Another.

Problem will be that whats to stop people bending their phones just before the warranty run out to get a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

It is possible that there was a flaw in a batch that is now causing this. It could well be just a poor design but for now we can't say for certain. Its a good laugh seeing people pretend that its ok. No phone should bend in people's pocket.

It is very clear that it's a poor design actually. Every iPhone 6 plus has that exact same weak spot its simple physics. They made the phone larger without adding extra material to compensate (costs apple 15$ more to make a 6+ over 6 and they charge over 100, should have spent a bit more on stronger material since their making a 75% profit)

loh_oro wrote: »
    It is very clear that it's a poor design actually. Every iPhone 6 plus has that exact same weak spot its simple physics. They made the phone larger without adding extra material to compensate (costs apple 15$ more to make a 6+ over 6 and they charge over 100, should have spent a bit more on stronger material since their making a 75% profit)

75%?

Try over 400% before expenses. 100% after.

160 Euro to make an iPhone. 800 Euro in the shops.

This is all public info as they have Shareholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It is possible and probably they all face that problem but I haven't had a chance to look at one myself. I'll wait and see what apple or someone else who knows more about this sort of thing to explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's crazy that people on there are still making this out to be some huge issue that needs phones recalled and still using the same anti-Apple statements.

The phone bends, there's no question about that, as do a lot of other phones from different manufacturers. The problem will excist if these phones bend easily, eg in somebody's front pocket. There's only been s handful of reports of this happening and no solid proof. From the videos posted online it requires a lot of force to bend the 6 Plus, not normal use like putting it in your pocket.

Wait and see if this is a problem before jumping to conclusions and making out every iPhone is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's crazy that people on there are still making this out to be some huge issue that needs phones recalled and still using the same anti-Apple statements.

The phone bends, there's no question about that, as do a lot of other phones from different manufacturers. The problem will excist if these phones bend easily, eg in somebody's front pocket. There's only been s handful of reports of this happening and no solid proof. From the videos posted online it requires a lot of force to bend the 6 Plus, not normal use like putting it in your pocket.

Wait and see if this is a problem before jumping to conclusions and making out every iPhone is flawed.

The bolded part = every iphone 6+ manufactured in some peoples eyes.
    Its actually hilarious.

adox wrote: »
    Its actually hilarious.

Do you understand all the iPhone 6 + phones are built with the exact same material and design? The design has a weak spot = every phone is effected.

75%?

Try over 400% before expenses. 100% after.

160 Euro to make an iPhone. 800 Euro in the shops.

This is all public info as they have Shareholders.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple have never made the cost of the iPhone build public. Would you care to share a source for these guesses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

adox wrote: »
    Its actually hilarious.

If more people do the bend test the amount of phones affected will rise.
    That will be hilarious

Graham wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, Apple have never made the cost of the iPhone build public. Would you care to share a source for these guesses?

Independent sites do tear downs of hardware all the time pricing the components

Independent sites do tear downs of hardware all the time pricing the components

Ahh, so guesses that also exclude the costs of R & D, Software etc etc etc. Guesses that have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that apple have shareholders.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

2 posters on here have about 20 posts each, and only about the launch or the plus "problems", yet are apparently expert on costs, design, materials etc. I thought there was supposed to be no trolling?

Graham wrote: »
    Ahh, so guesses that also exclude the costs of R & D, Software etc etc etc. Guesses that have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that apple have shareholders.

R&D ? .. Nothing new that would warrant huge R&D in this phone, every other phone OS has software don't charge outrageous prices. I'm not sure what your getting at with shareholders? Not every company put's its shareholders first amazon for example are totally customer first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

R&D ? .. Nothing new that would warrant huge R&D in this phone, every other phone OS has software don't charge outrageous prices. I'm not sure what your getting at with shareholders? Not every company put's its shareholders first amazon for example are totally customer first

Manufacturing costs of the phone? Oh but maybe Foxconn are building them for free out of the kindness of their hearts :/

whiterebel wrote: »
    2 posters on here have about 20 posts each, and only about the launch or the plus "problems", yet are apparently expert on costs, design, materials etc. I thought there was supposed to be no trolling?

Its not trolling at all. I'm merely stating facts that a lot of people here just dismiss immediately and make up excuses. Nothing against apple personally but when their is a flaw in a product why would you try and defend it ? unless their paying you

Manufacturing costs of the phone? Oh but maybe Foxconn are building them for free out of the kindness of their hearts :/

Oh they build them for next to nothing, child labor I mean we have heard several reports of this, apple workers jumping from windows committing suicide. Again not trolling at all just answering your question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Oh they build them for next to nothing, child labor I mean we have heard several reports of this, apple workers jumping from windows committing suicide. Again not trolling at all just answering your question

I'm out . Blatant trolling at this stage

• Advertisement

I'm out . Blatant trolling at this stage

In what way ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement