Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 warping in peoples pockets

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

loh_oro wrote: »
    Its not trolling at all. I'm merely stating facts that a lot of people here just dismiss immediately and make up excuses. Nothing against apple personally but when their is a flaw in a product why would you try and defend it ? unless their paying you

Very, very few facts and lots and lots of speculation.

On the plus side you have validated several of the points I made on the 'iPhone Fans' thread. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

Oh nooooo, what on earth will random people save iPhone buyers from now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its not trolling at all. I'm merely stating facts that a lot of people here just dismiss immediately and make up excuses. Nothing against apple personally but when their is a flaw in a product why would you try and defend it ? unless their paying you

Seriously, bore off. You're becoming a parody of a troll by this stage. Expert on SFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Graham wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, Apple have never made the cost of the iPhone build public. Would you care to share a source for these guesses?

The exact cost of an iPhone was never disclosed but if you look at their Financials you can derive it from that. Operating margins of 27.16% last year.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AAAPL&fstype=ii&ei=5h0kVInKHqOCwAOh14GQCg

Revenue is 4 times their Net

65,225.00/14,013.00 in $USD Millions

So when the experts say they cost about $200USD to make an iPhone and they sell for $800 which we can prove, thats the closest proof of each unit production your gonna get.

Same parts across all hardware so its safe to assume they cost the same.

Only way its not true would be if they where somehow making iPads for 20 bucks. Safe to assume thats not true as their the same parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Worth also remembering that cost of production isn't what it costs to produce. I'd wager that Apple spends more on R&D than most companies with their desire to explore both exotic materials and production techniques.

The exact cost of an iPhone was never disclosed but if you look at their Financials you can derive it from that. Operating margins of 27.16% last year.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AAAPL&fstype=ii&ei=5h0kVInKHqOCwAOh14GQCg

Revenue is 4 times their Net

65,225.00/14,013.00 in $USD Millions

So when the experts say they cost about $200USD to make an iPhone and they sell for $800 which we can prove, thats the closest proof of each unit production your gonna get.

Same parts across all hardware so its safe to assume they cost the same.

Only way its not true would be if they where somehow making iPads for 20 bucks. Safe to assume thats not true as their the same parts.

As those financials are not broken down by sector and/or device what you're basically confirming is it's a guess.

Some of the standard parts (e.g. memory chips) can be fairly accurately priced, others parts require custom design and manufacture which nobody outside of Apple has full overview of. In fact it has been reported on more than one occasion that Apple is either buying it's own tooling/machinery or financing/purchasing the machinery for its manufacturing partners exclusively for us in Apple products.

Of course on top of that you have to add the software O/S costs, an expense other manufacturers largely avoid by piggy backing on the work of Google/Windows.

Finally, Apple spends a fair chunk of change on R & D. One can only assume this is for current and future materials, components and products. This is another expense competing manufacturers mitigate by continuing to use the same stock/standard components as their competitors.

Zcott wrote: »
    Worth also remembering that cost of production isn't what it costs to produce. I'd wager that Apple spends more on R&D than most companies with their desire to explore both exotic materials and production techniques.

Surprisingly not.

1.8 Billion in 2013

Google spend about 3 times that.

They tend to just buy companies or copy ideas rather than invest in their own R&D. What did they actually research if you think about it?

Larger phones are hardly groundbreaking new Tech and they just use the same components. Watches already exist. All they did was put an apple symbol and installed an OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

In what way ?

You've got waaaaay too much time on your hands. Do we really upset you that much?

Surprisingly not.

1.8 Billion in 2013

Google don't make mobile phones do they?

• Advertisement

As those financials are not broken down by sector and/or device what you're basically confirming is it's a guess.

Some of the standard parts (e.g. memory chips) can be fairly accurately priced, others parts require custom design and manufacture which nobody outside of Apple has full overview of. In fact it has been reported on more than one occasion that Apple is either buying it's own tooling/machinery or financing/purchasing the machinery for its manufacturing partners exclusively for us in Apple products.

Of course on top of that you have to add the software O/S costs, an expense other manufacturers largely avoid by piggy backing on the work of Google/Windows.

Finally, Apple spends a fair chunk of change on R & D. One can only assume this is for current and future materials, components and products. This is another expense competing manufacturers mitigate by continuing to use the same stock/standard components as their competitors.

Most of the figures mentioned are right there in their financials. Its not as big a mystery as you think.

For example You can see how much they spent on equipment between 2012 and 2013 which was about 8billion. After depreciation they also have less than they did the year before.

Cant link to individual sections on Google Finance but you can go through their Balance Sheet and Cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭maticm18

bad, bad apple:)

Google don't make mobile phones do they?

No their main area of R&D would be Cars and Robotics now.

I look forward to test driving the 8.5 door Samsung Galaxy Explorer S1 Notes Edition with TouchWizShift gears and a wave activated sun roof.

I look forward to test driving the 8.5 door Samsung Galaxy Explorer S1 Notes Edition with TouchWizShift gears and a wave activated sun roof.

Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

papu wrote: »
    Well there's videos of people bending the phone with their bare hands , and a good few pictures of bent phones on twitter and other social media .

Theres videos on the internet of people shooting iPhones with guns.

Doesn't mean that every iPhone will be susceptible to being shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭squonk

Surprisingly not.

1.8 Billion in 2013

They tend to just buy companies or copy ideas rather than invest in their own R&D. What did they actually research if you think about it?

Larger phones are hardly groundbreaking new Tech and they just use the same components. Watches already exist. All they did was put an apple symbol and installed an OS.

Google have a much wider product base and are ploughing money into self-drive cars and I'm sure various other things. Despite that massive R&D budget, they couldn't spare a few bob to do some simple things well or even properly.

If you'd even bothered to use Google's search you'd know that the Apple Watch is far more than producing a small screen, installing iOS and slapping an Apple logo on it. The watch runs a new OS, WatchOS and if you'd even bothered to dig a little deeper you'd know that the device and straps are very well put together and well designed so it's hardly something they thought of a few weeks ago and run up in a weekend.

Why don't you go back to the Android forum where you belong? I really don't see the point of coming on a forum for an OS/range of devices you've no interest in and spouting rubbish. Life's short enough. Why don't you get out a bit and enjoy yours instead of trolling.

Surprisingly not.

1.8 Billion in 2013

Are you referring to Googles original purchase of Android Inc in 2005?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It is very clear that it's a poor design actually. Every iPhone 6 plus has that exact same weak spot its simple physics.
    Based on your "expert" opinion yeah?
    papu wrote: »
    If more people do the bend test the amount of phones affected will rise.
    That will be hilarious
    Phones generally aren't designed with a forced bend test in mind for their day to day use. There's no actual proof yet that it happens under normal circumstances. Only forced.

Surprisingly enough, my macbook doesn't survive being hit by a sledge hammer either.
    Surprisingly not.

1.8 Billion in 2013

Well then that's a rather pointless comparison isn't it? If anything you've just proven that Apple spend quite a substantial amount on R&D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sum total of the internet bendgate butt hurt? 9'people complained of bent iPhones :rolleyes:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/25/apple-responds-to-iphone-6-bendgate-controversy-says-only-9-customers-have-complained/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

There we go. 9 out of how many million ? As usual these things are totally blown out of proportion simply because it's Apple, and the android fans jump on any excuse to stick the knife into Apple customers.

Also, you can be sure anyone who it does affect will get exemplary customer service from Apple, as is the standard. One of the main reasons I buy Apple products in fact, is for the no quibble returns policy and outstanding customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Could be a design flaw or it could just be or just consequences of keeping what amounts to a small iPad in your back pocket.

People tend to get more outraged when Apple products aren't indestructible than they would if they just squished their HTC or Samsung.

Don't put a €800 tablet in your jeans pocket!

Thin and large generally means prone to bending and possible design glitches are a good reason not to rush out buying new products :)

There phones not tablets, there designed to be mobile and as such carried in pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There we go. 9 out of how many million ? As usual these things are totally blown out of proportion simply because it's Apple, and the android fans jump on any excuse to stick the knife into Apple customers.

Also, you can be sure anyone who it does affect will get exemplary customer service from Apple, as is the standard. One of the main reasons I buy Apple products in fact, is for the no quibble returns policy and outstanding customer service.

Just waiting for the android brigade to blame the low number of complaints on people not being able to call due to 8.0.1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilythepinked

Had my IPhone 4 stolen few weeks ago. Couldn't wait for the iphone 6 as I needed a phone. Went for the iphone 5. And after all the reports now about the iphone 6, I'm sure glad I did! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Had my IPhone 4 stolen few weeks ago. Couldn't wait for the iphone 6 as I needed a phone. Went for the iphone 5. And after all the reports now about the iphone 6, I'm sure glad I did! :)
    Yet to read a complaint about the iPhone 6, tbh. Methinks you're missing crucial information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You should have done some research first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Theres videos on the internet of people shooting iPhones with guns.

Doesn't mean that every iPhone will be susceptible to being shot!

bahahaha hilarious analogy.. no of course not... But it does mean all iphones will break when they are shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My ignore list solely consists of people who mainly frequent the Apple Devices forum. The list grows every day. Some of you are absolutely unfukingbearable.

Anyways.. I'm going to take the chance with the plus. I'm getting Apple care as extra insurance. I take it goes live at 12am. I've an upgrade with emobile, but I've on the half price unlimited everything (no 4g) and I'm loathed to give up that 15gb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My ignore list solely consists of people who mainly frequent the Apple Devices forum. The list grows every day. Some of you are absolutely unfukingbearable.

Anyways.. I'm going to take the chance with the plus. I'm getting Apple care as extra insurance. I take it goes live at 12am. I've an upgrade with emobile, but I've on the half price unlimited everything (no 4g) and I'm loathed to give up that 15gb.

Apple site goes live at 8am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

kceire wrote: »
    Apple site goes live at 8am.

Kceire. One of the good guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement