Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 warping in peoples pockets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

loh_oro wrote: »
    The difference is those phones dont bend just from being in your pocket for a day or two and do you think its acceptable that the iPhone 6 plus bends? I would have thought with apple making 75% profit on the phone they could have thrown some better material in their

the iphone 5s did bend by being in your pocket...i know someone who had there's replaced under warranty and the second one did it a few months later.... this is old news really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Had my IPhone 4 stolen few weeks ago. Couldn't wait for the iphone 6 as I needed a phone. Went for the iphone 5. And after all the reports now about the iphone 6, I'm sure glad I did! :)

Would you care to share the reports, as i've not experienced any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

So it turns out just 9 people IN THE WORLD have reported a bent iPhone 6+. Storm desperately looking for a tea cup.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-iphone-bendgate-company-people-complained-bent-devices/story?id=25760708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Graham wrote: »
    Are you referring to Googles original purchase of Android Inc in 2005?

Yes that would be included as an acquisition. Most tech companies develop very few original ideas. They just buy companies and absorb the patents.
    squonk wrote: »
    If you'd even bothered to use Google's search you'd know that the Apple Watch is far more than producing a small screen, installing iOS and slapping an Apple logo on it. The watch runs a new OS, WatchOS and if you'd even bothered to dig a little deeper you'd know that the device and straps are very well put together and well designed so it's hardly something they thought of a few weeks ago and run up in a weekend.

Why don't you go back to the Android forum where you belong? I really don't see the point of coming on a forum for an OS/range of devices you've no interest in and spouting rubbish. Life's short enough. Why don't you get out a bit and enjoy yours instead of trolling.

It doesn't cost billions to develop a watch strap or software for a Watch. Also i dont post on Android forum. Just stop dragging it down to this Apple vs Android nonsense. Have you no facts that you just have to constantly take the easy route? Ive always used Apple products myself. Not sure why you think im a troll.
    Well then that's a rather pointless comparison isn't it? If anything you've just proven that Apple spend quite a substantial amount on R&D.

They spent $4 billion out of over $170Billion revenue on R&D. 2% is not Not really substantial. Like most tech companies they spent a lot more on just buying companies. Its nothing new. Theyre all the same . Google Facebook Microsoft Yahoo Twitter

Also only reason i mentioned it was someone says they spend way more than anyone else on R&D and thats why iPhones couldnt cost $200 to produce per unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

kceire wrote: »
    Apple site goes live at 8am.

It'll be on sale from midnight. They don't take the store offline 12hrs before the launch time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They spent $4 billion out of over $170Billion revenue on R&D. 2% is not Not really substantial. Like most tech companies they spent a lot more on just buying companies.

You're pretty short sighted if you're segmenting acquisitions from R&D costs, considering quite a few technologies (TouchID, Siri, etc) are all products of acquisitions come to fruition.

That's how it works at that level. It makes more sense to acquire companies, their technology and patents for a relatively small amount rather than start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

fanboys will still buy bendably phones tbh, its why the appe execs are swimming around in cash reserves that would put breaking bad's hide out room to shame.

Mexico.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

boreder wrote: »
    It'll be on sale from midnight. They don't take the store offline 12hrs before the launch time.

That would be a change from normal procedures that's have happened for the 6 launch in tier 1 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

You're pretty short sighted if you're segmenting acquisitions from R&D costs, considering quite a few technologies (TouchID, Siri, etc) are all products of acquisitions come to fruition.

That's how it works at that level. It makes more sense to acquire companies, their technology and patents for a relatively small amount rather than start from scratch.

Exactly my point youve just proven. Tech companies buy ideas rather than develop them themselves. Apple being no exception.

How is it short sighted to understand the difference between buying something and inventing it yourself? Its the exact opposite.

Youve just made my point for me.

• Advertisement

Hachiko wrote: »
    fanboys will still buy bendably phones tbh, its why the appe execs are swimming around in cash reserves that would put breaking bad's hide out room to shame.

Mexico.jpg

A bit like Fandroids hanging around apple forums trying to convert. It reminds me of Jehovah's Witness people knocking on my door.

boreder wrote: »

Up for sale now.
    Hope you guys can get what you want. I'm delighted with the 6 and only have it a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

kceire wrote: »
    A bit like Fandroids hanging around apple forums trying to convert. It reminds me of Jehovah's Witness people knocking on my door.

fanboys are these dedicated bunch, you wont catch android users queuing up days/nights/weeks for a new product.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29275040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

fanboys are these dedicated bunch, you wont catch android users queuing up days/nights/weeks for a new product.

Although I'd prefer those guys to the ones who spew constant hate and abuse towards a company and its users for no apparent reason. I'd take these ones who queue up and enjoy their new phones instead of hating on everybody else's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Say what you want but if one is spending the guts of $1000 AUD on a phone you should expect it not to bend in your pocket if going about your normal daily business. Obviously was not road tested enough. Along with the screw up of iOSX 8.0 apple need to reevaluate their quality process. Was going to take the plunge on the new iphone 6.0+ but going to hold off until this plays out (and tbh was not that impressed with the launch when other phones have newer tech). Why didn't they use a magnesium shell instead of the cheaper aluminium one?

jank wrote: »
    Say what you want but if one is spending the guts of $1000 AUD on a phone you should expect it not to bend in your pocket if going about your normal daily business. Obviously was not road tested enough. Along with the screw up of iOSX 8.0 apple need to reevaluate their quality process. Was going to take the plunge on the new iphone 6.0+ but going to hold off until this plays out (and tbh was not that impressed with the launch when other phones have newer tech). Why didn't they use a magnesium shell instead of the cheaper aluminium one?

Have you read this thread at all? It's only had reports of 9 iPhones bending, that's out of 10,000,000+ sold. And the update has been patched so that's fixed fairly quickly, although it should have never happened at all.

I'm not put off the new iPhone by any of these recent supposedly huge problems. Only issue I have with the new iPhone is the price :D Also that 'newer tech' you speak of doesn't nessecarily mean a better phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

DubDJ wrote: »
    Have you read this thread at all? It's only had reports of 9 iPhones bending, that's out of 10,000,000+ sold. And the update has been patched so that's fixed fairly quickly, although it should have never happened at all.

I'm not put off the new iPhone by any of these recent supposedly huge problems. Only issue I have with the new iPhone is the price :D Also that 'newer tech' you speak of doesn't nessecarily mean a better phone.

Wow! Now I want an NVIDIA shield tablet! :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

DubDJ wrote: »

Officially only 9 so far.. As I said I am going to hold off and see if these are some isolated incidents or a major design flaw.

If one is paying a premium for a product than you would expect it to be rock solid with a premium build. My iphone5c screen cracked when I had it in my back pocket and I sat down on a hard chair. Granted, there was already a very very small crack in it (it got dropped at Everest Base camp of all places) so I put that one as lesson learned. These phones are touching on a grand. The old Macs were known to be rock solid in their builds and tbh I wish they focused more attention to their macs rather then their small devices (still waiting for an update on the Mac min :( ).

I don't know, as a Apple user for the guts of 20 years it seems that they are taking people for a ride, knowing that they will still sell millions of units. The only reason I have the iphone is for their iOS. If I could get that into a HTC I would be happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

loh_oro wrote: »
    I have a Lumia 1520 which is bigger (6 inch) and It doesn't bend in my pocket. It's a bad design and it really is that simple. This should have been tested

Same with my Samsung Note 3. I thought this thread was going to be a conspiracy theory or p*so taken when I read the title, to be honest.

Officially only 9 so far.. As I said I am going to hold off and see if these are some isolated incidents or a major design flaw.

If one is paying a premium for a product than you would expect it to be rock solid with a premium build. My iphone5c screen cracked when I had it in my back pocket and I sat down on a hard chair. Granted, there was already a very very small crack in it (it got dropped at Everest Base camp of all places) so I put that one as lesson learned. These phones are touching on a grand. The old Macs were known to be rock solid in their builds and tbh I wish they focused more attention to their macs rather then their small devices (still waiting for an update on the Mac min :( ).

I don't know as a Apple user for the guts of 20 years it seems that they are taking people for a ride, knowing that they will still sell millions of products. The only reason I have the iphone if for their iOS. If I could get that into a HTC I would be happy out.

Funny enough reports today of the Mac mini refresh next month. :D Its the same for me, I love iOS and it's what keeps me using the iPhone. Android phones have improved a lot this year with design and build quality, but the software still isn't something I'd buy into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

9 people have reported this issue to Apple out of well over 10 million iPhones sold in the past week

So you have a chip on your shoulder how someone else spends their time? I bet your one of those people with a neighbourhood watch sticker in your window to justify your constant moaning about others and judging people because they don't like what you like.

Well guess what some people like iOS and some like android. Get the fcuk over it and grow up. If your wife/mother/girlfriend/boyfriend knew about this behaviour you'd probab get a smack from them.

Ha ha did you actually read the thread or look at the reports. I guess your one of these people that say "I'm not an apple basher" but <insert apple bash here>.

I'm going over the and round forum now to tell all the Fandroids how crap their phones are ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

9 people have reported this issue to Apple out of well over 10 million iPhones sold in the past week

There were 10milliion orders not 10 million actual handsets given out.
    Also only the 6+ has a bad bending problem
    Also not everyone has tested their phone to see if it will bend ... Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it isn't structurally weak and won't bend when loaded..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

papu wrote: »
    Also not everyone has tested their phone to see if it will bend ... Just because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it isn't structurally weak and won't bend when loaded..

Give it up already. 9 people. Even if only 5 million phones were given out and not 10 million.

Storm. Teacup.

And why would anyone intentionally "test" their phone to see if it bends?

Lets be honest. How many people are gona subject their phone to those type of bending forces? It takes a good bit of force in the videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No. That's 10 million new iPhone 6/6 Plus in people's hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

mad muffin wrote: »
    No. That's 10 million new iPhone 6/6 Plus in people's hands.

Fair enough , I didn't realize they move 10 million stock , I thought I read somewhere that it was 10million ordered.

Branoic wrote: »
    Give it up already. 9 people. Even if only 5 million phones were given out and not 10 million.

Storm. Teacup.

And why would anyone intentionally "test" their phone to see if it bends?

My nature is always to question , because then your sample size is awfully skewed , and without knowing how many phones were tested vs. how many were bent your statistics or lack there of make me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

And so, after less than 3 days, ends bendgate.

RIP

Oh won't someone please think of the throlls!

• Advertisement

Fair enough , I didn't realize they move 10 million stock , I thought I read somewhere that it was 10million ordered.

My nature is always to question , because then your sample size is awfully skewed , and without knowing how many phones were tested vs. how many were bent your statistics or lack there of make me sad.

I'm sure BMW cars have an A crash rating but not everyone is crashed to confirm that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement