Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 warping in peoples pockets

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

as I am more interested in the actual numbers rather than hyperbole on both scales.

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ukoda wrote: »
    why?

Because I am an engineer and am interested more on numbers instead of faux outrage from people.

Because I am an engineer and am interested more on numbers instead of faux outrage from people.

fair enough so, but there isn't much to know here, it boils down to:

If you apply enough force (either by accident in pocket or deliberately) then the phone will bend.

the figures posted were more to do with the chances of that force being applied by accident in someones pocket.

Its not actually a defect that may or may not effect a phone, its more like "if i drop it, it could smash" its not a defect its just the way the product was built i.e. glass screen - it can smash as thats what happens glass. Aluminium body - it can bend as thats what happens aluminium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ukoda wrote: »
    fair enough so, but there isn't much to know here, it boils down to:

If you apply enough force (either by accident in pocket or deliberately) then the phone will bend.

the figures posted were more to do with the chances of that force being applied by accident in someones pocket.

Its not actually a defect that may or may not effect a phone, its more like "if i drop it, it could smash" its not a defect its just the way the product was built

From an engineering standpoint it is a defect as it is an imperfection, it should not have happened in the first place. It is incredibly obvious that a surface area as large on the 6plus will have problems with using aluminium as it could bend fairly easily due to the fact that the aluminium is not thick enough at all to counter the large surface area.

Some other material should have been used or a stronger alloy.

From an engineering standpoint it is a defect as it is an imperfection, it should not have happened in the first place. It is incredibly obvious that a surface area as large on the 6plus will have problems with using aluminium as it could bend fairly easily due to the fact that the aluminium is not thick enough at all to counter the large surface area.

Some other material should have been used or a stronger alloy.

Well I guess there's a trade off between design and build in this case, Like I said above (sorry I went back to edit it) we all still use glass even tho we know it can smash and crack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don’t think the thinness really has anything to do with it. Rather the positioning of the volume and power buttons created a potential weak point that’s more easily exploited on the 6 Plus due to its larger footprint. The curved sides are also a factor. If suitably re-enforced, as Apple claims it already is, then it shouldn’t be a problem for people not deliberately trying to break their phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

Close thread! Seems to be going round in circles now. Small problem unrealistically magnified. No firm picture of an actual proportion of issues right now as the phone is only launched a week so far. At the end of the day, any issue for Apple to sort out. I'm certain they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Happens to a bunch of large devices, like it's basically a wide and tall sheet of aluminium and glass, of _course_ it's going to bend if you put it in your jeans pocket!

It doesn't happen to as many other phones because either they're thicker than the 6+, or because when something goes wrong with a Samsung or Sony device nobody cares, because they're held to a lower standard than Apple.

Same with maps. On Google Maps there's still an airfield in Wales where there isn't an airfield in real life, but nobody cares, because it's Google, who have never finished a product in their life.

Edit: Now, the iOS8 non-connectivity issue, there's a cock-up if I ever saw one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

^ iphone fan much?

if i was queuing up 3 days and nights for a product i would too hold it in high esteem above any other product, that does not mean any other devices are less appealing, its just the rose tinted view of apple fans in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hachiko wrote: »
    ^ iphone fan much?

if i was queuing up 3 days and nights for a product i would too hold it in high esteem above any other product, that does not mean any other devices are less appealing, its just the rose tinted view of apple fans in reality.

Begone with you already. Back into the dark and vile pits of Android hell with you...

Seriously, eff off.

Kind regards, and all the best with your Android fetish,

mad muffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

truth sucks, but hey ho.

I am not an android fanatic, i am open to any new devices and gadgets i can get my hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hachiko wrote: »
    truth sucks, but hey ho.

I am not an android fanatic, i am open to any new devices and gadgets i can get my hands on.

Great, now off you go and have a great weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Alright, this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement