Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody using the service TransferWise to pay for UK orders/transactions?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Anybody using the service TransferWise to pay for UK orders/transactions? If so how do you find the service?

They seem to be a bit cheaper than using my bank, so considering setting up an account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scurnane

Briando wrote: »
    Anybody using the service TransferWise to pay for UK orders/transactions? If so how do you find the service?

They seem to be a bit cheaper than using my bank, so considering setting up an account.

Yes I used them to buy a car privately in NI earlier in the year. I found them very good to deal with. Can't remember the price difference but they were cheaper than my bank at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Are they regulated, by whom, where?

Are they regulated, by whom, where?

All that info is on their website afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Transferwise (TF) is an approved ‘Payment Institution’ and as such its services are not covered by the UK's Financial Services Compensation Scheme. So, unlike with a bank, you stand to lose your cash should anything go wrong with them.
    I’m not saying there is anything wrong with TF; it’s a model that has been around for years (albeit less sophisticated and more ‘bucketshop’) but before depositing with any brokerage it is important that individuals go out and do their research and are comfortable with the risk/reward ratio.

Yea I just used them to pay sterling into a uk bank account on the day after I lodged the money into the TF account. Going by the post above, it may have a higher risk to have funds with them over long periods of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

CurrencyFair are also worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 15 urbanjim1

I use Transferwise all the time, as move money back to a UK bank account.
    I've had really good experiences with them, and have found that the money gets there quicker than they advise, and it's at a reasonable FX rate.

Advertisement