Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone advise where stock could be bought somewhere and sold online for a profit

Options
  • 24-09-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew where stock could be bought to sell on an online shop and sold at a profit( can be anything) preferably in UK and Ireland.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

niallweb1 wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew where stock could be bought to sell on an online shop and sold at a profit( can be anything) preferably in UK and Ireland.

Thanks

Is this a windup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hi

Thanks

Your wondering if anyone knows? Yeah, I'm pretty sure someone does but how can you honestly think anyone who did know would just tell you

I was wondering if anyone knew how old you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

Good man, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

here! have a successful business model with contacts and sales strategy.... for free!!!

lmao!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

good man porsche boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

good man porsche boy

To be fair, what did you expect people to say?!

I've got some magic beans that I could sell to you at wholesale price, if you target them at young males by the name of Jack you can make astronomical margins... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

in fairness I think your previous thread shows that you aint going to be given a business model for free, stick to your web thingy if thats your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Can't beat this for an afternoon giggle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I know a guy who does this on a small scale. He spends a lot of his time going to shops, chain stores etc. buying up reduced items. He then resells them online. He seems to do well from it and I often see him with big bags of packages heading for the post office. Its a one man operation at best I know.

Stores like halfords for instance often have heavily reduced items for short periods or 3 for 2 or other deals. Couple that with a corporate discount card in there and you can see how he makes money from lazy people on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Classic

Only out of school and he's lazy already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Hi

Thanks

China http://www.alibaba.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The lingerie market has massive margins - hope this video helps:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I know a guy who does this on a small scale. He spends a lot of his time going to shops, chain stores etc. buying up reduced items. He then resells them online. He seems to do well from it and I often see him with big bags of packages heading for the post office. Its a one man operation at best I know.

Stores like halfords for instance often have heavily reduced items for short periods or 3 for 2 or other deals. Couple that with a corporate discount card in there and you can see how he makes money from lazy people on the internet.

That's a HUGE time commitment. I think the OP is looking for a quicker way to generate money. Why not try Forex trading? http://www.forex.com/uk/indexuk.html There is a learning curve, but I think that is a better investment than spending time going around shops looking at their stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Hi,

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but as I am a newly reg I cannot start my own.

I just have a quick question that someone may have experience in. Am thinking of setting up a website, selling some items, and want to set up as a .ie, reason being that I alsways like to buy from a .ie if the price is right as I know the product should get here quicky, shop local etc etc.

But, I would also like to push sales in the UK should the site be a success. Has anyone any experience of online sales into the UK with a .ie, would it matter or should you really go for a .com or co.uk in this case?

Appreciate any advice you may have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi,

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but as I am a newly reg I cannot start my own.

I just have a quick question that someone may have experience in. Am thinking of setting up a website, selling some items, and want to set up as a .ie, reason being that I alsways like to buy from a .ie if the price is right as I know the product should get here quicky, shop local etc etc.

But, I would also like to push sales in the UK should the site be a success. Has anyone any experience of online sales into the UK with a .ie, would it matter or should you really go for a .com or co.uk in this case?

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Go really wild, splash out the extra €10 to €30 and get the .ie and the .co.uk.

Graham wrote: »
    Go really wild, splash out the extra €10 to €30 and get the .ie and the .co.uk.

Well would like to but the name I really want is taken on the co.uk side (though not in use).

There's also the cost thing, on that note, does anyone want to invest approx €10k for stock?

Hi,

Am thinking of setting up a website, selling some items, and want to set up as a .ie, reason being that I alsways like to buy from a .ie if the price is right as I know the product should get here quicky, shop local etc etc.

I have found that UK customers do not have a problem with a .ie site as such but they do prefer to purchase in GBP and as you point out they will assume that delivery will be more expensive / take longer if coming from Ireland.

More importantly though, ranking a .ie site in google.co.uk is pretty difficult unless there is zero competition so you would be relying on AdWords for sales in the UK.

I would definitely buy a .com site with the future expansion in mind. You will find out quickly that Ireland is a small market
    There's also the cost thing, on that note, does anyone want to invest approx €10k for stock?

I assume this is a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Sure!

Unfortunately most of my money is tied up in a Nigerian bank. If you give me €2k to bribe the officials, I can give you €20k in a week.

JMR wrote: »
    I have found that UK customers do not have a problem with a .ie site as such but they do prefer to purchase in GBP and as you point out they will assume that delivery will be more expensive / take longer if coming from Ireland.

More importantly though, ranking a .ie site in google.co.uk is pretty difficult unless there is zero competition so you would be relying on AdWords for sales in the UK.

I would definitely buy a .com site with the future expansion in mind. You will find out quickly that Ireland is a small market

I assume this is a joke?

Thanks for your response, there is definitely a significant uk site but one that can be beaten on price, though their stock is vast.

I know that the Ireland market, performing at best, would maybe give me the same cash that I'm earning in my full time job - so not reason enough to quit.

This is very early so am exploring, though am hopeful.

And yes, the 10k is tongue in cheek ;)

Though I am lucky enough to have a my own "dragon" who said they would back me if they ever though I had a good idea, so let's see how I egt on with preliminary stock.

Thanks for your advice guys

I know that the Ireland market, performing at best, would maybe give me the same cash that I'm earning in my full time job - so not reason enough to quit.

It sounds like you are at the very early stages of an idea. Are you sure this is something that can bring in the same revenue as your current day job?

Have you really thought through all the costs associated with running a business, not just the headline product cost??

• Advertisement

It sounds like you are at the very early stages of an idea. Are you sure this is something that can bring in the same revenue as your current day job?

Have you really thought through all the costs associated with running a business, not just the headline product cost??

You are right that it's the early stages of an idea and I am exploring at this stage, and am enjoying it as a productive way to use my spare time. I do not see this as a job replacement jut now, that would be a very best case scenario but I like to be fully informed and so am gathering info.

I think at the very least I could make some extra pcoket money doing this, and intend to start as a 'shop' on adverts.ie to gauge interest, if that works out well maybe I'll make a website. And my apartment is going ot be full of boxes.

Thanks for your replies, you seem to have some really vaulable knowledge in this area, I read another post of yours regarding a Pick & Pack service you use. Your business must be in a great place when you can use such a service as I'm assuming it would require a high turnover?

regarding a Pick & Pack service you use. Your business must be in a great place when you can use such a service as I'm assuming it would require a high turnover?

Ask yourself the question, do you need high turnover in order to justify investing in your business or do you need to invest in the business in order to increase turnover...

Also, you will reach a point where you ask yourself, did I get into this business to pack boxes, print address labels and make daily runs to the post office before a cut off time or can you outsource all that necessary but boring stuff to a company that will undoubtedly do a better job at it and leave you free to concentrate on the business itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Interesting thread. I have very recently started up a business. I tested the water earlier in the year and it was very feasible. I asked around and didn't get great feedback in my market research. Although people struck me as being negative. I went with my gut and I am so glad I did.

I would love to have the name of your dragon ;) . The only thing hindering me is money. I have invested what little I have and will have to keep re-investing to build it up. It's a pain and I'm so impatient.

I'm at the stage now where I can't sleep some nights with excitement but have to try be realistic.

We are booked into fairs that will be happening around December and hope to get the name out then. We hope to have an ecommerce store and are working on Twitter and Facebook at the moment to drum up interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Even if you're selling high demand items you will find the Irish online market to be painfully slow. I tried selling on Adverts at one point and it just wasn't worth it. For every 5 items I sold on Adverts I sold about 500 on Ebay. You simply have to sell to the UK and even the European Union if you want to sell large quantities. The main problems you will face are shipping/postage charges from Ireland and 3-4 day shipping times. Ebay and Paypal are also expensive if you're relying on them, more so if you're not a registered business seller. I include shipping costs in the selling price and offer 'free shipping' to the UK. I find it lessens peoples expectations of delivery times so I have less messages from headwreckers! ;)

People operating from Britain have a huge advantage over us. You can really only compete on price and efficiency if you're selling like for like items.

Know what you're selling inside out. Helps with messers/refunds etc.

Even if you're selling high demand items you will find the Irish online market to be painfully slow. I tried selling on Adverts at one point and it just wasn't worth it. For every 5 items I sold on Adverts I sold about 500 on Ebay. You simply have to sell to the UK and even the European Union if you want to sell large quantities. The main problems you will face are shipping/postage charges from Ireland and 3-4 day shipping times. Ebay and Paypal are also expensive if you're relying on them, more so if you're not a registered business seller. I include shipping costs in the selling price and offer 'free shipping' to the UK. I find it lessens peoples expectations of delivery times so I have less messages from headwreckers! ;)

People operating from Britain have a huge advantage over us. You can really only compete on price and efficiency if you're selling like for like items.

Know what you're selling inside out. Helps with messers/refunds etc.

I agree 100%. We are on ebay and making very little per item because we have to compete with the UK. Our postage costs are unreal! I'd say our customers are 50% Ire and 45% Uk & Europe 5% elsewhere.

What industry are you in? Ebay is so hard to make money on nowadays, do you agree?

The main problems you will face are shipping/postage charges from Ireland and 3-4 day shipping times.

We use the services of a storage facility in the UK to get around this very issue. We couldn't offer next day delivery to UK customers without it and it is something that every consumer expects these days.

It's certainly is! I sell IT/Printing equipment. The only way to make money is buy huge quantities direct from factories and sell huge quantities. The profit per sale is pathetic really. Thankfully, I have little to no returns and items generally arrive at their destination.

It's hard work but means I can more or less operate from anywhere. My girlfriend is Italian and we spend a lot of time there so there's not many jobs you can take with you!

We use the services of a storage facility in the UK to get around this very issue. We couldn't offer next day delivery to UK customers without it and it is something that every consumer expects these days.

Have done this myself. I currently have storage in Italy where I ship a lot of items from - even to the UK as it's QUICKER than sending from here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Have done this myself. I currently have storage in Italy where I ship a lot of items from - even to the UK as it's QUICKER than sending from here!

I'm surprised it's quicker from Italy. How long does it usually take to get a package from Ireland to the uk?

• Advertisement

Dub_Steve wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's quicker from Italy. How long does it usually take to get a package from Ireland to the uk?

Some people have reported to have had our items within 2 days. Uk and Finland as examples.

Advertisement