Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO/GOOGLE PROBLEM

Options
  • 24-09-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi

I have a client whos website is being marked by spam and not showing on google when it "should" be, is there any other reason than that its a new domain and it will take time for Google to index it. The domain was bought in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

What does robots.txt file look like? Are there any search engines being blocked in it?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

Im not sure there is a robots.txt file i'll look when I get home

Robots file is

User-agent: *
    Disallow:

If it was blocking there would be a mention of the specific directories or a / to block all. Does the site have a sitemaps file that Google can download?

How is the site being marked as "spam"?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Is the site registered for Webmaster tools (it should be), see what's it reporting there.

How do you know its a spam issue

it might sound daft: but are the pages meta - follow/index?

Do you want to PM a URL?

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gary_evans

what happens when you type the full domain name into a google search box?? does it list anything...

has the site been registered in the past??

Check with something like 'waybackmachine' - (Cant post links here so google it) search for the domain name and see if it shows up... - this can often effect a new website without the owner knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the site is setup in Google Webmaster Tools and verified etc., you can get some proper insights into any potential issues.
    If, for example, the domain was previously registered and was flagged as "junk" you should be able to submit an appeal.

the site is smarttvireland .com but when I type Smart TV Ireland into google it dont come up and thats the meta title of the site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

niallweb1 wrote: »
    the site is smarttvireland .com but when I type Smart TV Ireland into google it dont come up and thats the meta title of the site

I think you have misunderstood what Google does and doesn't do.
    Google is listing the site - it's just not going to list it for those keywords

gary_evans wrote: »
    what happens when you type the full domain name into a google search box?? does it list anything...

has the site been registered in the past??
    It doesn't seem to have any history.
    http://www.hosterstats.com/historicaldns.php?domain=smarttvireland.com
    Typing the domain name in to Google shows that the site is fully indexed. The phrase "Smart TV" is highly contested and this may be why Google returns other results ahead of your website.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gary_evans

A few thoughts...

It is showing up in position 233 for Google. 1 for Yahoo... Nothing for Bing

What work has been done on attracting links to the site. As its an E-Com site what extra value are you adding over the competition. Sites like these are open for thin content penalty from the big G

What other keywords are you trying to rank for. - don't list them here! but something to think about. Never focus in on one keyphrase - think about the longtail keywords... Your primary KW gets about 390 hits per month if you are to believe Google - this is not enough to sustain an e-com site.

Speed is a major concern - 43 out of 100 from Google Pagespeed. Fixing this will help somewhat

Competition wise there are two boards posts ranking for this so with a bit of work you could get within reach.

Watch out for duplicate content - this is often a problem with product descriptions.

Fix the spelling mistake on the front page in the first paragraph.

Final point - don't focus on just the phrase 'Smart TV Ireland' - use one of the many tools available to source alternatives and write engaging content about them...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SEO Ireland

Hi niallweb1,

There are things not to do also, and if you are a beginner it is best to get this down first other wise your site will pay the price.

If you are serious about your SEO use a ratio of 25% to 75% on-page and off-page SEO.

hope this helps.

Jason

Advertisement