Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

property tax

Options
  • 24-09-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

Meath co councillors have decided that property owners in Meath should bear the brunt of a full property tax, whilst the streets of the main towns get more filthy, and the roads more like cheddar cheese, we should remember them next time election comes round!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Yup as cutting the tax will improve the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

chrysagon wrote: »
    Meath co councillors have decided that property owners in Meath should bear the brunt of a full property tax, whilst the streets of the main towns get more filthy, and the roads more like cheddar cheese, we should remember them next time election comes round!:mad:

If the streets get cleaner and we see noticeably improved roads, then I think that's fair enough (probably a big if though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

chrysagon wrote: »

Can somebody tell me if all Independents voted to keep the charge, as that was what I heard on the radio earlier but cannot find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Fg wanted to keep the rate, Ff and Sinn Fein wanted a cut

Ff wanted a 2% cut

Sf wanted the 15%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Get them out, I haven't seen any improvement since they were elected, if anything things deteriorated.

And add all this to the water charge, and its going to cost an extra 10+ Euro a week more...and little to show for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bladespin wrote: »
    Get them out, I haven't seen any improvement since they were elected, if anything things deteriorated.

And put who in? That's the bit I'm stumped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Look a bit further than the end of your nose then

2010: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/business/2010/11/101122_jimpower2.shtml

2014: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29252950

Postit wrote: »

I really cannot see how the council has anything at all to do with the financial recovery :eek: I'm looking way beyond my nose but still can't see it, maybe you should open your own eyes, Meath's in a shocking state and nothing has been done to improve it.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    And put who in? That's the bit I'm stumped on.

I wonder at times, I really do.

thats the general problem, options very poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Would a 5/15% reduction in rate have really made any of us much better off??

It would made a difference to many IMO and would make us all feel a little better, we've been hauled over the coals enough.

But then what little services there are will be gone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It would made a difference to many IMO and would make us all feel a little better, we've been hauled over the coals enough.

I disagree. It's vote seeking and nothing else. I prefer people that take the unpopular decisions. Councils need more, not less money. Whether it's being spent wisely is another issue, but you can't complain about poor services while at the same time wanting a reduction in property tax.

It's like the much talked about tax reliefs in the budget. It is completely insane to talk about reducing income tax when they are taking medical cards off people who need them, when hospitals are in a shambles, when teachers are being let go etc.. Again it's vote seeking ahead of the next election. And any talk of abolishing water and property tax is fantasy land stuff.

I would like a reduction of course, services are rubbish because of who and how revenue is spent, not because they need more.

I would like a reduction of course, services are rubbish because of who and how revenue is spent, not because they need more.

Could u post up the accounts on this as I wouldn't mind seeing them

Sorry, I'm not their accountant, go to meath.ie and you may find what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

I think you nailed it PauloMN, but of a publicity stunt, 'look at me I'm doing my bit for the hard pressed' I was speaking to a councillor last week before vote and that was his opinion too!!

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm not their accountant, go to meath.ie and you may find what you're after.

Well if you have no access to the accounts and no evidence to support your claims, why do you keep posting mindless barstool babble laden with inflammatory language without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Thinking for yourself every now and then won't hurt you know. :rolleyes:

I d rather see some kind of reduction, than to see it spiral upwards, many families are hard pressed enough, than to be paying on average 266 euro for what?...fund junkets?

Well if you have no access to the accounts and no evidence to support your claims, why do you keep posting mindless barstool babble laden with inflammatory language without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Thinking for yourself every now and then won't hurt you know. :rolleyes:
    The accounts are published annually, they're for anyone who wants them, not for me to supply.

Accounts mean nothing, achievements count, there's no barstool babble as you so sourly put it, take a look around the county, around the villages and towns and you'll see the same old sh1te, we've sat through successive councils with great plans and no results, time for the likes of you to take a back seat and for the rest of us to demand results, if they can't produce then they should reduce.

If you think they're doing such sterling work then please list the results achieved, resources saved and jobs created, from what I'm seeing litter has grown exponentially as have traffic lights, roads are just as dire as ever, signage is poor, jobs have disappeared (despite one candidate claiming to have personally created thousands???), planning is still a mess, ghost estates abound, services are poor as are their response times, the list is long.

The accounts are published annually, they're for anyone who wants them, not for me to supply.

Accounts mean nothing, achievements count, there's no barstool babble as you so sourly put it, take a look around the county, around the villages and towns and you'll see the same old sh1te, we've sat through successive councils with great plans and no results, time for the likes of you to take a back seat and for the rest of us to demand results, if they can't produce then they should reduce.

If you think they're doing such sterling work then please list the results achieved, resources saved and jobs created, from what I'm seeing litter has grown exponentially as have traffic lights, roads are just as dire as ever, signage is poor, jobs have disappeared (despite one candidate claiming to have personally created thousands???), planning is still a mess, ghost estates abound, services are poor as are their response times, the list is long.

Do you understand the concept of evidence? You have a view/opinion. Thats fair enough. However you are stating and presenting this view as if it is fact. If this is the case, then you should provide information to show that your view/opinion is true, valid and factual.

You said
    services are rubbish because of who and how revenue is spent
    Evidence please?

Also, I never gave an opinion on how I feel the council is being run. Somehow though, you decided (presumably because I am questioning your unsupported ascertains) my opinion is that the council are doing
    sterling work
    Do you see a pattern here?

Your type of nonsensical hyperbole is counterproductive. You want change, fair enough. Make a reasoned and measured argument then. Nobody will take inflammatory ill-conceived statements seriously.

You said Evidence please?
    Take a look around, have you seen any improvement since the new council took over? I haven't, in fact judging by the state of some of the towns the standard is going down.
    Also, I never gave an opinion on how I feel the council is being run. Somehow though, you decided (presumably because I am questioning your unsupported ascertains) my opinion is that the council are doing Do you see a pattern here?

Fair enough, an assumption was made, I don't see a pattern though.
    Your type of nonsensical hyperbole is counterproductive.

Evidence please, I seen very little to back that up :P
    You want change, fair enough. Make a reasoned and measured argument then. Nobody will take inflammatory ill-conceived statements seriously.

Lol, what was inflammatory?
    My argument was quite clear, as detailed above, all sorts of promises were made during the election and I haven't seen anything happen, as said already, if anything things are dropping back to the bad old days and of course many councilors are nowhere to be seen bar the very few active members who funnily enough argued for a reduction, funny that.

If those who argue for austerity are to be taken seriously at all then surely they must stand by their own beliefs and expect more for less, throwing money at the problem hasn't helped.

Take a look around, have you seen any improvement since the new council took over? I haven't, in fact judging by the state of some of the towns the standard is going down.

Fair enough, an assumption was made, I don't see a pattern though.

Evidence please, I seen very little to back that up :P

Lol, what was inflammatory?
    My argument was quite clear, as detailed above, all sorts of promises were made during the election and I haven't seen anything happen, as said already, if anything things are dropping back to the bad old days and of course many councilors are nowhere to be seen bar the very few active members who funnily enough argued for a reduction, funny that.

If those who argue for austerity are to be taken seriously at all then surely they must stand by their own beliefs and expect more for less, throwing money at the problem hasn't helped.

Judging by how inaccurately you have quoted me and your obvious disregard for putting together a reasoned and evidence-based argument, I can only assume that it is beyond you to grasp a simple point clearly made. Not much to show for four billion years of evolution.

Whatever, I didn't post to sling insults or argue with anyone just to put a point across, if you struggle with that you're not worth my time.

BTW for clarity, I quoted you exactly as you posted.

Good luck with your endeavors but the ignore button is calling.

Evolution seemly can go in reverse, just as certain politicians have proven!:mad:

FG doing their bit to reform the cronyism of past governments, great to see how they've revolutionized Irish politics - good man Enda, it's just a coincidence is all, suppose it's not really fair criticizing the FG councilors considering their leader sets such a brilliant example.

• Advertisement

I just thought maybe the local cllrs may have offered a little help to families in Meath, i work in a big organisation and some of my colleagues are struggling simply due to hefty mortgages, creche fees, etc etc, and they reckon the property and water charges are the straw that breaks their backs,a little afterthought from cllrs, would have been a nice touch, but as Kenny proved, he just talked a good game, and after 2016, water charges will no doubt spiral upwards fast!...and still nothing to show for it!

Advertisement