Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

property tax

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

someone has to pay for the council luxuries.....oh thats us...the TAXPAYER:mad:

Vego wrote: »

Don't see the connection tbh :confused:
    Can you honestly tell me the council is responsible for the economy picking up? I know our political system is odd but seriously.
    I don't see how the property tax helps this.

Also I wonder how many are working in the county as opposed to outside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

bladespin wrote: »
    Don't see the connection tbh :confused:
    Can you honestly tell me the council is responsible for the economy picking up? I know our political system is odd but seriously.
    I don't see how the property tax helps this.

Also I wonder how many are working in the county as opposed to outside of it.

I didnt make any connection :confused:

• Advertisement

I didnt make any connection :confused:

Ah cool, just wondering what it has to do with the thread then :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

chrysagon wrote: »
    someone has to pay for the council luxuries.....oh thats us...the TAXPAYER:mad:

Are offices considered a luxury now?

I'm critical of the council on a lot of things, but when it gets to the level of knocking literally everything about them or what they do, then you have to question your views I reckon.

Ah cool, just wondering what it has to do with the thread then :confused:

Same as your post I guess ....? I don't see where your going with this

Same as your post I guess ....? I don't see where your going with this

Property taxes well spent by the council as per OP, as mentioned I don't see how the council's decision on not reducing the tax has led to the drop of jobless.

Property taxes well spent by the council as per OP, as mentioned I don't see how the council's decision on not reducing the tax has led to the drop of jobless.

Sorry the op was on about property tax you posted a link to the new council office no where did it say property tax has been spent on it nor did you provide any proof of it, your post is as off topic as mine ...now we have that out of the way can we get this post back ON topic ..thanks

• Advertisement

Op interesting reading on the report on year on year staff reductions and budget reductions in meath

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/Publications/FinancePublications/MeathCountyCouncilAnnualBudgets/File,57484,en.pdf

also a bit on the lpt here that meath only got 50% of gathered Lpt to use the rest went to central government I think its going up to 80% still I would rather my 100% contribution went to the county

it reminds me of the road tax thing years ago when the tax you paid basically went to dublin

I do know where you are coming from as the list of taxes we pay are quite long

1: Car tax
    2: Car insurance - govt levy
    3: Property tax
    4: Household charge
    5: USC levy
    6: PRSI
    7: PAYE
    8: Carbon tax
    9: Pension levy
    10: House insurance-govt levy
    11: Utility bill- govt levy
    12: NCT charge
    13: Plastic bag levy
    14. Credit card levy
    15. VAT
    16. Customs Tax on Alcohol
    17. Customs Tax on Cigs
    18. Broadcasting charge
    19. Septic tank charge
    20. Toll Charges
    21. Bin Charges
    22. Dog License
    23. Gun License
    24. 60% Tax on Petrol & Diesel
    25. Inheritance Tax
    26. Fishing License
    27. Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT)
    28. Hospital Admittance Charge
    29. Passport Charge
    30. Fire Brigade call out charge
    31. School Charges
    32. Third level registration fees
    33. Health Insurance Levy
    34. VRT
    35. Driving License
    36. Voluntary??? School Contribution for Free Education
    37. Stamp Duty
    38. Prescription charges

I would be happy if the council reduced the lpt by 20% but if they need the money and they do reduce something has to suffer & you can be sure it wont be their massive wages :P

Sorry the op was on about property tax you posted a link to the new council office no where did it say property tax has been spent on it nor did you provide any proof of it, your post is as off topic as mine ...now we have that out of the way can we get this post back ON topic ..thanks

Think you'll find my post was right on topic, council refuse to reduce property tax after having spent €5million on a building that isn't suitable for purpose, makes me wonder if they should have anything to do with spending at all.
    Happy to clear that up for you.

BTW I don't think the council have massive wages but I'm concerned about how they spend their budgets (which includes property tax).

Think you'll find my post was right on topic, council refuse to reduce property tax after having spent €5million on a building that isn't suitable for purpose, makes me wonder if they should have anything to do with spending at all.
    Happy to clear that up for you.

BTW I don't think the council have massive wages but I'm concerned about how they spend their budgets (which includes property tax).

nope you still haven't linked that building to the lpt and you wont until you can provide any proof that the lpt has been spent on it ...all of what you have said is in your opinion which is ok .....

so to quote your earlier post "If you think they're doing such sterling work then please list the results achieved, resources saved and jobs created, from what I'm seeing litter has grown exponentially as have traffic lights, roads are just as dire as ever, signage is poor, jobs have disappeared (despite one candidate claiming to have personally created thousands???), planning is still a mess, ghost estates abound, services are poor as are their response times, the list is long."

Jobs created = my link to jobs that you have dismissed
    Resources saved= centralising the council offices according to rte news " The move into the former Quinn Insurance building will allow the local authority centralise its offices, saving over €765,000 a year on rent and maintenance."
    Road repairs = Meath.ie have daily road works and improvements
    Singage= Have you asked the town engineer on certain things ? our community at the last neighbour hood watch meeting did for signage at a junction and it was done within a month
    planning a mess= meath has been notoriously difficult to get planning permission for a house you can ask any architect in the town (that was the response when I went to build my house)
    ghost estates they are the responsibility of the builder no ?
    services are poor ?= we have electricity,gas,water(irish water),broadband,navan to this day still retains an a&e department, the state of the litter on a sunday are a workers union issue that has been documented again by the meath chronicle also its up to the residents of towns to maybe ummm use a bin that is provided

soooooo you have yet to link the quinn building with lpt as councils all over the land have to spend money anyway

Id like to see the LPT plowed in to a few more playgrounds for kids and skate parks etc ....but you would have to probably liase with the locals and garda about the anti social element involved ...also I think on the anti social element we should invest with a CCTV system in the square say on "the strip" bakery lane the shopping center area monitored by the garda ..........thurles in tipperary do something like this "initially installed for the crowds at games" but it cut down in the number of fights etc when the people knew big brother was watching

nope you still haven't linked that building to the lpt and you wont until you can provide any proof that the lpt has been spent on it ...all of what you have said is in your opinion which is ok .....

Never stated LPT was spent on it, just one shining example of poor spending.

Can you show how the council managed this then?
    Resources saved= centralising the council offices according to rte news " The move into the former Quinn Insurance building will allow the local authority centralise its offices, saving over €765,000 a year on rent and maintenance."
    Great idea but as noted above, the building is now being described by the council themselves as not fit for purpose.
    Nothing new, repairs are/were ongoing, plenty of patch work happening the benefit of which disappears shortly after completion - Athboy to Navan Road for example, also have they done nothing to restore the N3 to primary status?
    Singage= Have you asked the town engineer on certain things ? our community at the last neighbour hood watch meeting did for signage at a junction and it was done within a month
    Good for you, we've been seeking signage for our estate for years, they did however take away the bins and 'children at play' signs though..
    planning a mess= meath has been notoriously difficult to get planning permission for a house you can ask any architect in the town (that was the response when I went to build my house)
    Oh yes, this is one huge complaint, build one house and you will be literally tortured, build 100 and you get away with murder - many araes are still zoned as residential which will soon bring huge problems. They have done nothing I can see to help anyone planning lol a one-off.
    Have the councilors done anything to solve it? Many made great speeches about it at the door.
    services are poor ?= we have electricity -Council supplied,gas -Council supplied?,water(irish water) - I think the council did a good job on this, IW?,broadband - Council supplied?,navan to this day still retains an a&e department (not for children) -Council supplied?, the state of the litter on a sunday are a workers union issue that has been documented again by the meath chronicle also its up to the residents of towns to maybe ummm use a bin that is provided -agreed but maybe a warden might be an idea?

Funny, the council get credit for a lot that they have no control over IMO.

Never stated LPT was spent on it, just one shining example of poor spending.
    -If it saves 765,000 a year how just how is it poor spending ???

Can you show how the council managed this then?
    -Really ??? errr meath council enterprise board, infact the enterpise center, not raising rates since 2009 etc etc

Great idea but as noted above, the building is now being described by the council themselves as not fit for purpose.
    -where exactly does it state not fit for purpose or did you make that up ?

Nothing new, repairs are/were ongoing, plenty of patch work happening the benefit of which disappears shortly after completion - Athboy to Navan Road for example, also have they done nothing to restore the N3 to primary status?
    -athboy to navan road is a bog road it will never ever ever be a good road ....how about the massive job done on the navan slane road ?....n3 primary status ? is it needed wasnt the point of a motorway to use it (even with the toll)

Good for you, we've been seeking signage for our estate for years, they did however take away the bins and 'children at play' signs though..
    -have you asked via registered letter to the town engineer why that happened ....what was the reply

Oh yes, this is one huge complaint, build one house and you will be literally tortured, build 100 and you get away with murder - many araes are still zoned as residential which will soon bring huge problems. They have done nothing I can see to help anyone planning lol a one-off.
    -So they have done wrong by zoning and done wrong by making sure you done build a massive house between two bungalows
    Have the councilors done anything to solve it? Many made great speeches about it at the door.
    -None made a speech about that at my door or did I see any leaflets about it..how is this a council problem? if the developer still owns the land its the developers problem
    services are poor ?= we have electricity -Council supplied?,gas -Council supplied?,water(irish water),broadband - Council supplied?,navan to this day still retains an a&e department (not for children) -Council supplied?, the state of the litter on a sunday are a workers union issue that has been documented again by the meath chronicle also its up to the residents of towns to maybe ummm use a bin that is provided -agreed but maybe a warden might be an idea ?
    -Navan have a litter warden numbers in the golden pages
    (1890)228466

other than that I dont know what "services" you are on about ....

-Navan have a litter warden numbers in the golden pages
    (1890)228466

Have you ever actually seen one? There's more to Meath than just Navan BTW.
    other than that I dont know what "services" you are on about ....

So, apart from the 'services' listed above that the council don't actually supply, you can only think of litter wardens that they do - kinda sums it up really.

Have you ever actually seen one? There's more to Meath than just Navan BTW.

So, apart from the 'services' listed above that the council don't actually supply, you can only think of litter wardens that they do - kinda sums it up really.

what are you on about ....this is clearly trolling you said lack of services in a previous post ...yet failed to mention any so I put up a few yet all you did was pick bits out to criticize, you mention a litter warden ....I gave you a number for one now this meath is more than just navan .....no way .....Post and poster reported for trolling

what are you on about ....this is clearly trolling you said lack of services in a previous post ...yet failed to mention any so I put up a few yet all you did was pick bits out to criticize, you mention a litter warden ....I gave you a number for one now this meath is more than just navan .....no way .....Post and poster reported for trolling

I'm talking about how the council spends the money, not county council workers, the elected councilors, the ones who knocked on your door looking for a vote.

I don't need a litter warden, the towns and villages around the county do, more than just a phone number as well please, just an example of a service we're paying for but not really getting.

Not trolling, just responding to your post where you credit the council for an A&E, electricity, gas and broadband - the council do provide services but those simply aren't in their remit.

This is unbelievable.....im out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Guys and girls, please keep this on topic. This is about Meath Co. Co.'s decision not to lower the local property tax. Stick to the issues at hand, i.e. where the benefit of what you pay is seen/not seen etc.

General discussions not involving the local authority and their upkeep/improvements of the infrastructure will be deleted and may result in infractions/bans. This is your one and only warning, you are responsible for what you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

To me guys, its just a simple stealth tax to raise more funds, Fine Gael, according to reports so far, reckon the ordinary working person may have up to 400 euro a yr more in their pocket,after the budget, no good when LPT and water charges kick in, and i have no doubt the combo will approach 1000 Euro a yr for the average household..and whats to show for it?

chrysagon wrote: »
    To me guys, its just a simple stealth tax to raise more funds, Fine Gael, according to reports so far, reckon the ordinary working person may have up to 400 euro a yr more in their pocket,after the budget, no good when LPT and water charges kick in, and i have no doubt the combo will approach 1000 Euro a yr for the average household..and whats to show for it?

The govt (not just FG to be fair) are seperating these 'charges'from normal taxation deliberately, that way they can appear to reduce income tax etc when in reality taxation (direct and indirect) actually increases - sneaky pollies.

That said, I'm all in favour (as Vego mentioned above) of the LPT/Rates etc raised locally staying local, I think it would be of great benefit to us all rather than being filtered down as it goes to Dublin then back out. I'd just rather see some benefit and improvement from it all than the status quo being maintained, we should be looking for improvement from each successive council and government not just maintenance IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The govt (not just FG to be fair) are seperating these 'charges'from normal taxation deliberately, that way they can appear to reduce income tax etc when in reality taxation (direct and indirect) actually increases - sneaky pollies.

That said, I'm all in favour (as Vego mentioned above) of the LPT/Rates etc raised locally staying local, I think it would be of great benefit to us all rather than being filtered down as it goes to Dublin then back out. I'd just rather see some benefit and improvement from it all than the status quo being maintained, we should be looking for improvement from each successive council and government not just maintenance IMO.

The government were told that they had to introduce property tax and water charges before being bailed out. This was actually pre this government. FF are the government who actually brought these charges in ultimately, under obligation from Europe.

Rightly so, you cannot go hand-out to Europe looking for money and be one of the only countries (or maybe the only country) with no property tax and no water charges.

Whether the bail out was the right option or not is another day's discussion.

PauloMN wrote: »
    The government were told that they had to introduce property tax and water charges before being bailed out. This was actually pre this government. FF are the government who actually brought these charges in ultimately, under obligation from Europe.

Completely understand that but they are now whispering about reducing tax on the middle income etc etc etc when, in fact they have actually raised it.

Completely understand that but they are now whispering about reducing tax on the middle income etc etc etc when, in fact they have actually raised it.

Well that's just vote seeking imo. I think (personally) that it is insane to reduce income tax when people are sitting on trolleys in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

While managing to increase the burden on lower earners

Advertisement