Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Thanks guys - nice to know its not just me. Dont get me wrong - im delighted to be getting another chance to see baba in another couple of weeks - Im booked him but shes to ring me with a date - I hope I get the date soon as DH would like to attend but will have to book it off work as unavailable.

Thanks guys.

So jealous of your nyc trip.... We're hoping to go somewhere inf jan or feb - maybe Barcelona - dh has never been to nyc and wud love to go but ee got married in July and the money is tight now with little one of the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Oh woshy you poor thing!!! :( did you go back to hospital? I really do hope it clears up quickly for you!!! Mind yourself!

Tfak glad you guys had a great time!! :)

Blueberry I had 2 dating scans. It's not too unusual if you're not 100% of your dates I suppose. For me I knew my dates but my cycle is mental so my gp had to go by that which I knew was way wrong! But if you are worried about it you could mention it at the next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm fairly sure now I managed to pick up the winter vomiting bug - I had an awful headache and muscle ache so it does fit. The vomiting stopped last night so just feeling a bit weak now. I can't believe I vomited non-stop for 3 months and then as it started to get a bit better I picked up a vomiting bug. I have the worst luck in the world! Well, I'd say my immune system is pretty bad given I haven't eaten a lot in the last 3 months so the hyperemesis probably contributed. I avoided the hospital at least.

Definitely going in to the GP for the flu jab now - knowing my luck I'll pick that up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

That is dreadfully unlucky Woshy! You poor thing! There is definitely something going around at the moment, we've had a few women admitted with it over the last few weeks!

I didn't get the flu jab, I've never had it, I've never had the flu either!

Feel like I've hit a wall today, absolutely shattered! Have a fair amount of stuff to do but absolutely no energy for anything right now!

tfak85 wrote: »
    That is dreadfully unlucky Woshy! You poor thing! There is definitely something going around at the moment, we've had a few women admitted with it over the last few weeks!

I didn't get the flu jab, I've never had it, I've never had the flu either!

Feel like I've hit a wall today, absolutely shattered! Have a fair amount of stuff to do but absolutely no energy for anything right now!

Definitely bad luck! I'm due some good luck soon I think. Maybe I should do the lotto?

I've never had the flu either but after seeing my husband get it I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. He got it around the time of the swine flu epidemic so there was a bit of a panic but luckily we found out after it was the normal strain so the vaccination I had protected me. I only got it because it was free where I worked at the time. The doctor told us to sleep in separate rooms but at that stage he'd been ill for a few days so I thought there was no point. Thankfully I didn't get it and I'm so grateful! He was in a really bad way for 2 weeks and then another 2 weeks before he was back to work. It drives me mad when people say they have the flu when they just have a cold. If you have the flu you'd know all about it! We were living in NZ at the time so we had no family support. If I'd have got it too we would have been in trouble.

The wall is tough - the first trimester really is so tiring. Because I've been so sick I've been in bed and sleeping a lot so I haven't experienced the full run of it, not like last time when I was working. Soon you'll be flying around getting everything ready for baba!

I'll talk to the doc about the jab next week anyway. I know some women get the whooping cough one too to pass immunity on to the baby but I don't think I'll bother with that. Last time I was pregnant my GP recommended I didn't get it because there were very few cases in the area and I was going to be having a summer baby (just like this time). He's a bit old school though and hates giving anything to pregnant women!

• Advertisement

Oh woshy that just seems so cruel!! I do hope it goes away soon though!!! I work in a hospital so I'm trying to stay away from patients and patient areas although my doctors I work for have no problem coming to me in scrubs and theatre gear!! Eh wash your hands pal!! Lol I have sterigel on my desk for them :D

I am so tired. Had a long day today and got home late. Have do much laundry to do it's making me want to cry. I don't know why but it absolutely kills my back doing the washing!! I think I need to invest in a paid helper in my house :rolleyes: lol

Allirog wrote: »
    Oh woshy that just seems so cruel!! I do hope it goes away soon though!!! I work in a hospital so I'm trying to stay away from patients and patient areas although my doctors I work for have no problem coming to me in scrubs and theatre gear!! Eh wash your hands pal!! Lol I have sterigel on my desk for them :D

I am so tired. Had a long day today and got home late. Have do much laundry to do it's making me want to cry. I don't know why but it absolutely kills my back doing the washing!! I think I need to invest in a paid helper in my house :rolleyes: lol

I was supposed to go out for dinner with my friends last night and I had to cancel. Was feeling very sorry for myself not having any fun the last few months and then not being able to go out after all. Boo!

I don't mind laundry too much, do you want me to come over and do it for you?! I do feel like I spend my life doing laundry though. Babies create so much extra washing - I use cloth nappies as well so I have a load of those every two days to do. Now washing dishes I'll do anything to get out of! We have a dishwasher but nowhere in the kitchen to plug it in until we get the building work done in February. I hate not being able to just put everything in the dishwasher and forget about it!

I think you should play up the I'm pregnant my back hurts card to your OH a bit more :D

It's a bit of a pain to dry laundry in this house so for the Winter it all goes to the laundrette, a full two weeks washing for two adults, washed, dried, folded and socks matched costs ten euro! Drop it in the morning and get it back the afternoon, you can't beat it!

I got the DTAP (whooping cough) vaccine in work last year Woshy, I'm glad I did because of the growing problem with it at the moment, I wouldn't have gotten it pregnant though, I understand where you're coming from with that.

@woshy I actually went for dinner with my friends Thursday night and it was lovely. My nausea calmed down a lot! I hope that bug passes so you can head out sbd especially this time of year. I have friend who'll be home soon from the Middle East and I can't wait to see them and head out for a nice dinner.

As for getting my oh to do the washing well he does but just not as often as I'd like. It's usually when I'm near tears he realises but I genuinely just don't think he fully understands what my body is going through and the effect it has on me. Aaahhhh!!!! Lol

@tfak that's actually a great idea about the laundrette. I have 2 spare bedrooms here do drying isn't a problem it's just getting the help with it :D

omg - a launderette is a great idea! I was also thinking that when the baby arrives I'm going to get a cleaner in every so often. I always thought that would be super lazy of my because I'm a stay at home mum but I know what having a newborn is like and how much work it is and I'll have a toddler this time too! I was thinking I would just use the extra children's allowance to pay for it - so I wouldn't feel so bad!

I am sympathising with you at the moment on the tiredness ladies - we went out for something to eat and to look at the Christmas lights in town yesterday. We got home at 8 so the baba went straight in the bath and bed. Once he was done I went to lay down on the bed "for 5 minutes" and woke up at 8.30am still in my clothes. I was shattered! My FIL is visiting at the moment and I do find that quite draining so I think that contributed. No m ore puking though so fairly sure it was a bug which is good news I guess!

• Advertisement

I'm glad to hear it was just a bug, and that it's cleared. Although it sucks that you got it in the first place! I'm feeling great now that my nausea is pretty much gone! Enjoyed a fabulous home cooked dinner today of roast chicken and potato gratin and it was just fab! And right in time for christmas too :)

Quick question for any of you that are already mammies.... did any of you do a private ante natal session or did ye go to the hospital? I think i'd rather do one that was not affiliated with the hospital but I'm not sure what I should be looking for?

I'm glad to hear it was just a bug, and that it's cleared. Although it sucks that you got it in the first place! I'm feeling great now that my nausea is pretty much gone! Enjoyed a fabulous home cooked dinner today of roast chicken and potato gratin and it was just fab! And right in time for christmas too :)

Quick question for any of you that are already mammies.... did any of you do a private ante natal session or did ye go to the hospital? I think i'd rather do one that was not affiliated with the hospital but I'm not sure what I should be looking for?

Do you mean ante natal classes? If you do, I would def recommend you do the ones in the hospital (but you could do another private one as well). The reason is that if you do that they will tell you exactly what will happen to you in their care and their birth plan and it will be specific to that hospital. You can then alter your birth plan accordingly (although I didn't bother with a birth plan because I'm v laid back and was happy to take it as it came rather than get my knickers in a knot trying to plan for all eventualties)

I was in Holles St and found the classes very reassuring because they said this is how we do things - if this happens we will do X, and then if that doesn't work we will do Y so if you don't want that make sure you say etc. It had a logical sequence of events of one thing leading on to another. Meant I felt much more in control and had an idea what to expect. They showed us the charts (anonymised of course) of other first time mums so we knew at what stage they did what and how long things took.

Of course, I had a very quick labour even though they said that was unlikely for a first time mum so my chart looked nothing like the ones they showed me but it was still great to have the knowledge in advance.

They also took us into the labour room to show us what was in there and what everything did and introduced us to a mum who had just had her baby.

Private classes might be good for learning about taking care of the baby though - the classes I went to were more for labour etc, there wasn't a huge amount about baby care but I didn't mind that. Tbh, it's all so new and such a blur when they arrive that you learn on the fly anyway and I had midwives/PHNs visiting me loads and helping out. I don't think any class could have prepared me for taking care of a newborn! It might be beneficial to you though - it depends what you're looking for in a class.

I went to a weekly breastfeeding support group at my local health centre when the baby was here and it was invaluable. Baby got weighed and checked and the nurses were there to answer any questions. So I would recommend that to anyone as well. I made some really good friends too - the girls from there were actually the ones that i had to cancel dinner on the other night!

Woshy thank you so much for all that information. I actually never thought of it that way!!! I'm going to reconsider this now and will have a chat with my oh about it. He's happy to do what I want so I'll go back to the drawing board. Thanks again, I'm glad I asked now because you've given me a more practical spin on it!!

No problem :) You could always see what your classes cover and then make a decision. I paid for our classes because we went to evening ones so we could go together but i think they would have been free if I had gone myself during the day so you could even do that and do separate, private classes with your OH if you wanted. The more knowledge the better, imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greenpaper

I went to the ante natal classes in the hospital and I would definitely recommend them. I wanted to see the labour rooms to take a bit of the unknown out of the experience and it made me feel so much better about the rest of my pregnancy. It made my OH feel better too as he knew exactly where we were to go when I went into labour. I cant imagine walking around trying to find the labour ward in the throes of labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

I was wondering that about the classes aswel actually but I'd be getting mine in Ennis hospital and there's actually no Labour wards or anything baby related there so I struggle to see the point!

My sister is in Labour at the minute with my first niece or nephew and I actually don't even want to talk to her, even the mention of contractions and anything related is frightening the living daylights out of me! She seems to be ok about everything but she's a much stronger person than me! Hopefully the end result will put my mind at ease a bit, not that I can really change my mind anyway :P

Swear I'm gettin little wiggles now, since about the 15 week mark! It's amazing, best feeling in the world and starting to make it feel a bit more real, all the time I was subconsciously pretending I had a bug or something :P

Glad you had a brilliant holiday tfak, my birthday is Sunday and I outright told my OH I wanted to see the Liverpool match at anfield for my birthday present but I think it's fallen on deaf ears tbh. He's a bit of a nervous wreck around me lately and he's barely letting me to the shop for fear something will happen to me so I doubt he's too impressed that I want to go to the Liverpool match!

Woshy I'm so glad you feel better!

Alli I would definitely recommend doing the classes associated with your hospital, you're going to OLOL right? You should check out if they do hypnobirth classes no too, that's something being phased in at the Coombe and it's a very exciting time for woman and midwives - it's certainly something I'm very interested in!

In terms of writing a "birth plan" I would recommend using the information gained from the hospital antenatal class for this, sometimes I look after women/families who have either gone to private antenatal classes or just copy and pasted a birth plan from an American website and half the stuff on it A. They don't know what they're written, B. makes absolutely no sense and is not evidence based. I also don't like the term "birth plan" because I hate to think that women would be disappointed by a plan "going out the window", the term "birth preferences" is far more positive, that way, your midwives can facilitate as much as possible for you.
    If any of you ever want to ask specific questions re hospital practices/birth/birth preferences/feeding please feel free, I'll help you as much as I possibly can! (Take advantage of your group midwife)!

Boo I hope that your OH massively surprises you!

Had my first appointment with the consultant today, ran into a few people when I was getting my chart etc., hopefully everyone will keep schtum! Got signed off to the midwives anyway, I'm so happy!

tfak, thank you for the info! I think I am going to reconsider and go with the hospital sessions. I'm attending The Coombe and I am there on friday for my first consultants visit so i'll see if I can get my ante natal booked then. We want to do a saturday session as it suits us both and we live a good bit away from the hospital so i'd rather get it over in one go.

Glad your appointment went well today! What is one to expect at these appointments?

I don't know why I thought you were going to OLOL, someone here is, right?

You'll go in and queue up to collect your chart, take a sample pot. Once you've done your sample head towards the opposite end of the out patients, the midwives and care assistants will be calling out numbers (on the top of your chart you'll have a raffle ticket, listen for your number), they'll bring you into a little bay, test your sample and do your blood pressure. then they'll send you to take a seat close to the room your doctor will be in. Listen for your name then!

The doctor will just ask you about your history and do a really quick scan - be sure to ask about attending the midwives clinic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tfak, thank you for the info! I think I am going to reconsider and go with the hospital sessions. I'm attending The Coombe and I am there on friday for my first consultants visit so i'll see if I can get my ante natal booked then. We want to do a saturday session as it suits us both and we live a good bit away from the hospital so i'd rather get it over in one go.

Glad your appointment went well today! What is one to expect at these appointments?

I don't want to scare you but I would call them tomorrow if I were you - I called over a month ago to book a Saturday class and the next one they had was the end of March and one in April which was too close to my due date! Patient education department between 9-12 I think is who you need to call

• Advertisement

I don't know why I thought you were going to OLOL, someone here is, right?

You'll go in and queue up to collect your chart, take a sample pot. Once you've done your sample head towards the opposite end of the out patients, the midwives and care assistants will be calling out numbers (on the top of your chart you'll have a raffle ticket, listen for your number), they'll bring you into a little bay, test your sample and do your blood pressure. then they'll send you to take a seat close to the room your doctor will be in. Listen for your name then!

The doctor will just ask you about your history and do a really quick scan - be sure to ask about attending the midwives clinic!
    Lol I think there is someone alright.

Thanks for the info!! That's actually very helpful. I've heard about the queues for the doctors and that the men who come along will happily stay sitting while a pregnant woman stands so I'm excited about that battle!! :D I don't think I'm suitable to be midwife led actually. When I was at my booking in appointment the midwife told me there and then that I'm going to be under the consultant but I'll ask again anyways!!! :) thank you so much for the info tfak!!

I don't want to scare you but I would call them tomorrow if I were you - I called over a month ago to book a Saturday class and the next one they had was the end of March and one in April which was too close to my due date! Patient education department between 9-12 I think is who you need to call

Thanks angel, I brought all the info I have with me to work after reading your post this morning so I'm going to ring today! Thanks for the heads up!!

Thank you again!!! Called this morning and got booked in for April by the skin of my teeth it seems!! Thanks again angel delight really appreciate it! :)

Thank you again!!! Called this morning and got booked in for April by the skin of my teeth it seems!! Thanks again angel delight really appreciate it! :)

Glad to hear it! I know when I did my classes last time I booked in November for March classes and there wasn't a huge amount of places left. The evending/weekend classes are v popular! At my last appointment they offered to book me in for antenatal classes but I passed - think I can remember it from 2 years ago!

I did go to a local breastfeeding support group yesterday morning. Even though I'm not breastfeeding my little boy anymore I'm prepping myself for doing it again. I thought it would be good to make new contacts/friends (we've moved area since I had my first baba) so when the new baba is here I'll have people/support on hand ready to go :)

Woshy wrote: »

I did go to a local breastfeeding support group yesterday morning. Even though I'm not breastfeeding my little boy anymore I'm prepping myself for doing it again. I thought it would be good to make new contacts/friends (we've moved area since I had my first baba) so when the new baba is here I'll have people/support on hand ready to go :)

Fantastic idea!

feeling really ill this evening. Came home from work and had to lie down for a while. Thankfully when my OH came home from work he cooked dinner and did all the cleaning up. It's little things like that that actually make me so happy and grateful! So i'm happy out on the sofa now with some natural confectionary co jellies :)

Fantastic idea!

It was a Cuidiu meeting and they were very nice! They all had toddlers too so gave me loads of info on parent and toddler groups etc :)

There was one little boy who was 6 months younger than mine and he was being really rough with my little boy. Not violent but just rough housing and wanting to wrestle and stuff. My poor baba didn't know what to do (the other baby was the youngest of 3). Definitely made me glad that he's going to have a little bro or sis soon - he needs a sibling! He's 18 months old today - I can't believe how quick he is growing up

Hope you're still resting up Allirog - you deserve to be pampered now you're an incubator :)

Just did my first application of bio oil on my bump. Now I really feel pregnant!

I've no idea how effective it actually is but I used it religiously last time and didn't get a single stretch mark so it's worth a try again I think! Plus, it smells nice before bed :)

I'm resting a good bit. I was vegged on the sofa so I just made lunches and put the dog to bed and now I'm in my bed although it's ssssoooooo warm and the hearing hasn't been on since about 7 so the window is wide open!!!! And I don't even have the radiator on in the bedroom. I can't handle this body heat and it's even too much for my oh.

I've heard good things about bio oil. Use it and see sure, hopefully you'll get away again without any stretch marks!!!

• Advertisement

I'm resting a good bit. I was vegged on the sofa so I just made lunches and put the dog to bed and now I'm in my bed although it's ssssoooooo warm and the hearing hasn't been on since about 7 so the window is wide open!!!! And I don't even have the radiator on in the bedroom. I can't handle this body heat and it's even too much for my oh.

I've heard good things about bio oil. Use it and see sure, hopefully you'll get away again without any stretch marks!!!

I'd love that - if I could get away with no stretch marks and no c section I'd be happy my body hadn't been too wrecked! My boobs are already looking a bit worse for the wear :D

The heat thing must be tough, give you a taste of what the menopause will be like for you!

Advertisement