Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Morning ladies, how's everyone doing? Woshy how was your hols??

Hope everyone who is awaiting their anomaly scan is not too nervous, and everyone who has had them hope all is good :) mines not till next week and I can't wait.

Blueberry, a trip away to nyc will be lovely!! We time off in March so we're hoping to get away down the country for a few nights :)

I've had a mental busy week just with family events and our engagement party and now I am laid up in bed with a suspected chest infection but gp can't see me till tomorrow which is a bummer oh and I have carpal tunnel in both hands to boot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Just back from the scan, all good, I looked away for a good part of it, so afraid I'd see what sex it is!

Got a couple of nice pics, the measurements are all correct for the dates and it weighs just over 300g which is nicely average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tfak85 wrote: »
    Just back from the scan, all good, I looked away for a good part of it, so afraid I'd see what sex it is!

Got a couple of nice pics, the measurements are all correct for the dates and it weighs just over 300g which is nicely average.

Great news! Was it weird being the one being scanned?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

ariana` wrote: »
    I had scan last week too, all looking good and baby also measured in at 15oz. Did you find the sonographer comment on that much? Mine kept going on about how big baby is, 2 wks ahead apparently (i was 21wks on day of scan and average should be 10/11oz), and she asked how big my other babies were and how i got on delivering them. To be honest she put the sh*ts up me that this baby is going to be massive :o She said a few times "wow that's some belly baby has" and so on.

No she didn't comment on the size at all, but then again she wasn't the most talkative person so that could have been it too!! Only for me asking questions there would have been silence! I guess it better to be measuring bigger than too small, I think according to the scan I am measuring 5 days ahead so not much overall, glad your scan went well, it's such a relief xx

• Registered Users Posts: 23 keelan08

Was it a private scan you had? Your GP wont be able to give you any answers about this Keelan, mention it to your midwife/doc at the next hospital visit and they can book a scan for you. Even if the placenta is low lying at the anomoly scan nine times out of ten it grows up with the uterus. In the mean time if you see any bleeding go straight to the hospital and tell them about the scan.

Thanks girls, hope everyone is doing well, weeks are flying by :)

Yes it was a private scan tfak she gave me a report and picture showing vessels running across my cervix and on report it says I need to be checked for vasa previa.
    I have an appointment with my doc this fri but not back in hospital till 28.5 weeks should I contact them before then or just wait?

It's been really upsetting me because I don't no what to expect and when I googled it it said that in some cases they do c -section at 35 weeks. Hopefully this is just worst case scenario but has me worried.

• Advertisement

keelan08 wrote: »
    Thanks girls, hope everyone is doing well, weeks are flying by :)

Yes it was a private scan tfak she gave me a report and picture showing vessels running across my cervix and on report it says I need to be checked for vasa previa.
    I have an appointment with my doc this fri but not back in hospital till 28.5 weeks should I contact them before then or just wait?

It's been really upsetting me because I don't no what to expect and when I googled it it said that in some cases they do c -section at 35 weeks. Hopefully this is just worst case scenario but has me worried.

GOOGLE IS THE DEVIL!

Vasa praevia would be a pretty big concern and you certainly wouldn't be allowed to labour or have your waters broken, that doesn't mean an elective section at 35weeks though, it might mean lying in in hospital towards the end of the pregnancy. The vessels may move as the membranes grow with the uterus, I wouldn't be in a mad panic to go back to the hospital ASAP, they might not be able to fit you in before your next appointment anyway.

Vasa praevia is pretty rarely picked up on scan and it's only of benefit to you that it has been seen. I've seen vessels in the membranes after placentas have been delivered before, as an incidental finding after a birth.

As I said before any bleeding at all or any pains go straight to your hospital, call them on the way in and bring the scan report with you. Hopefully it will all be ruled out soon enough.

I should add that as you don't get an anomaly scan I guess you are attending one of the slightly smaller units around the country, don't be afraid to ring up and ask to speak to the doctor from your team - just ring Mon-Fri 9-5 and they should be able to bleep someone for you, just if you want reassurance or to discuss it with someone in the hospital. Like I said before your GP wont be able to give you any guidance on the matter, what they might do is panic and send you to the hospital emergency room, which would probably just waste everyones time.

Great news! Was it weird being the one being scanned?

Hahaha, no, it wasn't weird, because I'm not a sonographer. It was actually nice that while the midwife was flying through the measurements I knew what they were and could point them out to my husband!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

So glad it went well tfak and you didn't see any surprise willies or anything!

Keelan - I'm pretty sure a girl I worked with a few years ago had vasa praevia. I remember her telling us after her scan. They kept an eye on her and it resolved itself and she had a straightforward, natural birth. Her little girl is 5 now thinking about it which just reminds me how fast time goes!

I've never heard of vasa preavia! Must check it out!

I'm just back from the doctors. I have a chest infection and high temp so I'm on paracetamol and an antibiotic, no work for the week, 7-up and bed rest :)

Oh Allirog :(I saw your facebook pic with your supplies! I hope you feel better soon - take the chance to rest loads! I've loads of e books if you need anything t read :)

I bought the baba's first outfit today in Tesco - a little pink babygro with born in 2015 on it. I'm all excited now! I also ordered the cloth nappy library newborn kit so will have little cloth nappies for her until she grows into the ones I have. I did buy one pack of newborn disposable nappies today as well though, just in case.

I've started a little hospital stash in the babas room so I added them to that - I have some maternity pads and breast pads leftover from last time that I kept. Teksco has a special on at the moment, two packs of pampers newborn nappies (in a few sizes) for €8 if anyone wants to start stocking up. I only needed one pack so bought Tesco brand ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

GOOGLE IS THE DEVIL!

Vasa praevia would be a pretty big concern and you certainly wouldn't be allowed to labour or have your waters broken, that doesn't mean an elective section at 35weeks though, it might mean lying in in hospital towards the end of the pregnancy. The vessels may move as the membranes grow with the uterus, I wouldn't be in a mad panic to go back to the hospital ASAP, they might not be able to fit you in before your next appointment anyway.

Vasa praevia is pretty rarely picked up on scan and it's only of benefit to you that it has been seen. I've seen vessels in the membranes after placentas have been delivered before, as an incidental finding after a birth.

As I said before any bleeding at all or any pains go straight to your hospital, call them on the way in and bring the scan report with you. Hopefully it will all be ruled out soon enough.

I should add that as you don't get an anomaly scan I guess you are attending one of the slightly smaller units around the country, don't be afraid to ring up and ask to speak to the doctor from your team - just ring Mon-Fri 9-5 and they should be able to bleep someone for you, just if you want reassurance or to discuss it with someone in the hospital. Like I said before your GP wont be able to give you any guidance on the matter, what they might do is panic and send you to the hospital emergency room, which would probably just waste everyones time.

What do they do with woman whose scans it wasnt picked up on? Is it only noticed once they go into labour?

@Woshy, thanks! My supplies are quickly diminishing :D my poor dog doesn't know what to do with herself having me here midweek :D

The little outfit sounds just lovely too!! Bet it's so nice to be able to buy pink :) we have loads of stuff here that both sides are buying for us so we are well stocked already. My mam is knitting like mad too :D

What do they do with woman whose scans it wasnt picked up on? Is it only noticed once they go into labour?

If it's felt on examination when a woman presents to the hospital then likely she'll be scanned and if confirmed sent for section, if the waters go naturally and there is no bleeding then it's usually an incidental finding after the placenta and membranes are delivered - nature usually finds a way of protecting itself.

It's funny to think of your placenta that's inside you now, doing it's job, minding it's own business being examined. Some of my baba's birth is a bit hazy (because gas and air is surprisingly good!) but I vividly remember the doctor having a good ol look at my placenta to make sure everything was there and what it looked like with the cord on it. They don't show you that part on TV!

Allirog - I bet the dog is in heaven! I always say that me having a baby was the best thing to happen to our cat because he gets me at home all day now, instead of being by himself while we're at work :)

It was fun buying pink - hopefully the sonographer was right! I bought a little two pack of leggings too, one pink pair and one grey with polka dots. My husband laughed when he saw it, I have a polka dot obsession and he said I'd have her in nothing but polka dots and pink :O Funnily enough, I usually think the girls sections in shops have a better selection but as today I was only buying girls stuff (two of our friends had girls recently and i was buying pressies) the boys section in my local Tesco had much nicer stuff. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Allirog wrote: »
    @Woshy, thanks! My supplies are quickly diminishing :D my poor dog doesn't know what to do with herself having me here midweek :D

The little outfit sounds just lovely too!! Bet it's so nice to be able to buy pink :) we have loads of stuff here that both sides are buying for us so we are well stocked already. My mam is knitting like mad too :D

So exciting buying supplies and clothes. We haven't bought anything yet - I said I'd buy the first bits when I hit the 24 wks (which is the week before we go NYC so I can see that trip being a baby shopping spree). Will start stocking up on other stuff once back from hols in March I'd say.... we did get out baby car seat and buggy last week - off my parents - one they had for a foster baby last year - brand new only used in house for a couple of months... weird seeing it sit in the spare room (which will be the nursery) But exciting too... :-)
    A bit of a more personal question but are you girls going to breast feed or bottle feed? (Sorry I know it was mentioned before but baby brain and 50+ pages isn't helping here!)

Another random q - what are the usual hosp appt dates? As in what weeks (presuming all is normal no issues highlighted)

Keelan - try not not worry - I'm sure you'll you'll be well looked after.... better to know about these things now... :))

I breastfed my little boy for 6 months and plan to do at least the same again this time (all going well). I can't say it was my favourite thing in the world to do but despite a few hiccups at the start (I pumped for the first week) I was able to do it with no problems, I had a good milk supply so he thrived and it is much easier and cheaper! I don't think it's too personal a question, I know I'm happy to talk about it anyway. I'm all for being open about it and had no problems breastfeeding in public etc. It's weird the first time but then you just get over it :) Breastfeeding can be tough so I think the more we talk about it the better, some women are very hard on themselves if it is difficult or doesn't work out but it's tough for everyone at the beginning - then it gets really easy :)

The hospital dates get closer together the more pregnant you are, I don't think there is typical weeks that you have appointments per se. I can't remember exactly when each phase happens from last time but I think it went from four weeks between appointments from about 25 weeks on, to two weeks between appointments to a week between them at the end - in Holles St anyway. My next appointment is at 25 weeks and I think then I'll have one at 29 weeks and then fortnightly for a bit - from what I can remember anyway.

So exciting being able to buy baby stuff in NY. I am very envious :) and so handy about the buggy and car seat!

We bought a new car today, my husband drives to work and I'm at home with no car during the day. Since we bought our house and moved further out that's just leaving me too isolated so we decided a second car was necessary with two babies. We bought a proper family size car - it was all about the room for buggies and two car seats and things. I'd not interest in how it looked or how "cool" it was. I am sadly excited about it. Times really have changed :)

Woshy the dog is totally in heaven, she's loving it. She's nearly 9 so she's enjoying being a lazy bugger in the house :)

Blueberry you'll have to hit Old Navy!!! Omg! I love their baby stuff!! Bet they have nice mat wear too!!

Re breastfeeding: I'm definitely going to try it that's for sure but I'm not going to keep it up for long if I'm being honest, I just know already that I'm not going to have the energy and I'll need the help of feeding etc so if I can do it for the first few days well that's all I want. But in saying that, that could change!

What car did you get woshy?? I changed my car in March last year so I can't change that yet but my partner changed his before Christmas so we have a proper family car!

Woshy the dog is totally in heaven, she's loving it. She's nearly 9 so she's enjoying being a lazy bugger in the house :)

Blueberry you'll have to hit Old Navy!!! Omg! I love their baby stuff!! Bet they have nice mat wear too!!

Re breastfeeding: I'm definitely going to try it that's for sure but I'm not going to keep it up for long if I'm being honest, I just know already that I'm not going to have the energy and I'll need the help of feeding etc so if I can do it for the first few days well that's all I want. But in saying that, that could change!

What car did you get woshy?? I changed my car in March last year so I can't change that yet but my partner changed his before Christmas so we have a proper family car!

We bought a Citroen Xsara Picasso. It's a proper mammy wagon! We were going to buy a small two door for my husband to take to work and I'd have our current car but then I realised that our car is small enough when you take into account two babas with car seats and buggies and things so we've gone bigger :)

Sure, see how you go with the breastfeeding. You might end up sticking with it or you might not, no pressure! I sort of combination fed. My baba got one bottle of formula or pumped breast milk at about midnight that my husband gave so I got to sleep from say 10pm - until the next feed at 2am or 3am. If we hadn't done that I probably would have struggled a lot more and possibly killed myself due to sleep deprivation!

I have a Ka and he got a Cee'd so we're grand with just one babs I think :D I bet a Picasso will be easier on your back too if you've to lift 2 into car seats so yours not bending as low as you would with just one baby!

Yea I'm gonna see how it goes but I'll be chuffed with myself if I can manage just a few days, the most important colostrum feeds I suppose. We'll see after that!! :)

I have a Ka and he got a Cee'd so we're grand with just one babs I think :D I bet a Picasso will be easier on your back too if you've to lift 2 into car seats so yours not bending as low as you would with just one baby!

Yea I'm gonna see how it goes but I'll be chuffed with myself if I can manage just a few days, the most important colostrum feeds I suppose. We'll see after that!! :)

Definitely - already lifting my little boy into his car seat while pregnant is tough. I'm really looking forward to all the extra space and height we'll have. We have a Peugeot 207 and it was grand for one baby, no problems at all.

It's good to have a breastfeeding goal to start off with and then see how you go, much less pressure that way!

• Advertisement

Exactly, we'll see how it goes and then decide I think.

I hope this link works but there's a baby event on tomorrow in aldi https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-29-jan/

Exactly, we'll see how it goes and then decide I think.

I hope this link works but there's a baby event on tomorrow in aldi https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-29-jan/

Ooh, great link. Aldi is my local supermarket. I might go down and get that baby gate, that's a fab price and it's a good gate (my parents have one at their place and I think it was at least e25 in Smyths). We bought Ikea ones originally and they're just terrible. We still have an Ikea one at the top of our stairs and it's seriously shoddy. I might get that one to replace it.

Some great stuff there anyway - those Nuby sippy cups are the best ones that we tried, my boy won't drink out of anything else and they're more expensive than that elsewhere.

Yea I want the gates more that anything. I'll probably pick up one or two other things but that's the main one I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Oh.... some good offers there in aldi tomorrow - I may have to break my "24 week rule"...Lol.
    laughing to myself here as ye are talking about cars and baby Seats and height etc.... I had a 14 Hyundai i30 - really happy with it, nice car, nice spec etc.... hubby needed rid of his car as it was turning into an unreliable money pit so he went looking and.... well lets say he now drives a lovely 141 Hyundai! While I drive a new stepway - kinda like a qash qoi - I totally played the "I need the extra space/height etc when bubs comes along"...... ah sigh... He's too soft.Lol

I might check out the baby monitor as well actually. Our one has died a death (we stopped needing it a while ago anyway) and I don't want to get a fancy video/sensored one as our house is quite small and it will only be used when the baby is napping and I'm downstairs - she'll be in our room with us for the first while. I like the look of it compared to some ones of a similar price.

Allirog, you're dangerous for getting me to spend money! :D

Oh.... some good offers there in aldi tomorrow - I may have to break my "24 week rule"...Lol.
    laughing to myself here as ye are talking about cars and baby Seats and height etc.... I had a 14 Hyundai i30 - really happy with it, nice car, nice spec etc.... hubby needed rid of his car as it was turning into an unreliable money pit so he went looking and.... well lets say he now drives a lovely 141 Hyundai! While I drive a new stepway - kinda like a qash qoi - I totally played the "I need the extra space/height etc when bubs comes along"...... ah sigh... He's too soft.Lol

You're incubating a human for him - you have to milk it for all it's worth! If you had to get a new car anyway you might as well be in a good sized family one :)

I love the excuses with come up with just to get new things we like, but obviouslyyyyyy we need aswell :D

Woshy ya can't go wrong with a few aldi bits now can ya :p my mother in law has our monitors sorted so I don't need to think about that. I just need to sort the gates. Our stairs is in our sitting room so we need to start training the dog to not go up there which is going to be ssooooooo hard!!!

I do love me a bit of Aldi, I have to say :)

Great idea to get the dog used to not going upstairs etc. His little world will change so much. At first our cat was not impressed with the gates blocking his route to go to bed but then learned to go between the bars or jump over it.

Yea we want to start it sooner rather than later (says I as the dog is currently up in the bed, our bed, not hers!!) :D aaahhhhhh big changes for her too!!

I must take a picture of the bits and pieces we have already! I'm 21 weeks tomorrow and can't believe it. It feels like it had dragged but then I can't get over how fast it's been

• Advertisement

Yea we want to start it sooner rather than later (says I as the dog is currently up in the bed, our bed, not hers!!) :D aaahhhhhh big changes for her too!!

I must take a picture of the bits and pieces we have already! I'm 21 weeks tomorrow and can't believe it. It feels like it had dragged but then I can't get over how fast it's been

Hopefully the next 19ish weeks will go quickly for you too! I feel the same way, the sickness dragged on and felt like I was just getting through the days for ages but then I think that I'm 23 weeks on Friday and I wonder where the time has gone.

Advertisement