Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Thanks for the comments 're breastfeeding btw. I meant personal more as in its a personal choice :-) I'm torn.... I had already thought I'd bottle feed - my mother bottle fed all us - no issues tg. Plus it's more convenient in terms of hubby feeding baby etc (I'm quite selfish really.Lol) I'd also know my sister in law had a very tough time with my nephew... I can be quite particular and I don't like the idea of not knowing how much baby has actually taken... this probably all sounds very odd.... I know all about the colostrum and antibodies etc etc but we all turned out fit and healthy....... sigh!

Allirog wrote: »
    Yea we want to start it sooner rather than later (says I as the dog is currently up in the bed, our bed, not hers!!) :D aaahhhhhh big changes for her too!!

I must take a picture of the bits and pieces we have already! I'm 21 weeks tomorrow and can't believe it. It feels like it had dragged but then I can't get over how fast it's been

Yep - snap. The first 6 or 7 weeks - until we told ppl absolutely dragged on but the last 8 or 9 weeks have flown..... Its mad - over half now.. tri 3 is nearly rearing it's head for some here even.... (just about rearing it's head but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Ah, I see what you mean about it being personal - I completely agree :) I think as long as baby is being fed and is thriving then that's the main thing, not the source. I was bottle fed (my mum was on medication where she couldn't breastfeed) and turned out fine too. It was important to me to breastfeed and I'm so glad I did but I get not wanting to do it. I will say that once you get established it is easier than sterilising and making up bottles and stuff.

You could always just try for a few days like Allirog and see how you go, if you're not sure what you want to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Blueberry, they're mostly the same reasons as me. I like the idea of being able to hand the baby over for a feed while I do something as simple as shower or even eat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Allirog wrote: »
    Re breastfeeding: I'm definitely going to try it that's for sure but I'm not going to keep it up for long if I'm being honest, I just know already that I'm not going to have the energy and I'll need the help of feeding etc so if I can do it for the first few days well that's all I want. But in saying that, that could change!
    Plus it's more convenient in terms of hubby feeding baby etc (I'm quite selfish really.Lol) I'd also know my sister in law had a very tough time with my nephew... I can be quite particular and I don't like the idea of not knowing how much baby has actually taken... this probably all sounds very odd.... I know all about the colostrum and antibodies etc etc but we all turned out fit and healthy....... sigh!

I'm going to put my professional hat on and say to the two of you please please do some breastfeeding classes/preparation BEFORE you get to about 36 weeks. Think about going along to your local Cuidiu meet up or even find your local health centre and go to the public health nurse breastfeeding group, it's a great way to open the door and make it easier for you to go once you've had the baby too.
    Know how to hold the baby, know how to hold your breasts (something Irish women are afraid of), know how to hand express milk, have realistic expectations of the first few days and the first two weeks (these are the biggest hurdles).

Be prepared to give it a really good go and keep an open mind, if after a few days you've had enough then fair enough, stop, I can promise you that no midwife will ever judge you for how you choose to feed your baby, I think it's counter productive to commence breastfeeding with the intention of pumping or stopping in the first few days (either do it or don't). Pumping is something you can certainly do down the line or at the start if necessary, like Woshy did, though I'm sure she'll agree when I say pumping is extremely hard work.

Breastfeeding is a learned skill, not something that just magically happens after the baby is born, it takes work and like I say the first few days and the first two weeks are very hard but after this it gets easier - definitely more convenient than making bottles!

For me personally, I see breastfeeding as the norm, I come from a breastfeeding family, it's what I grew up with and I don't expect to do anything else. Equally I can appreciate that for people who grew up surrounded with bottles find that normal too - please believe me when I say no one will make you feel guilty for any feeding choices, just be honest with your midwife, they're just trying to support you.

Now... just back to me. I'm amazed at the shopping that's going on, I've not even contemplated a purchase yet, a friend of mine gave me a babygro the other day that says "I <3 boobies" on it and I love it but to say it's freaking me out would be an understatement! I did see some beautiful clothes in a shop today though! I might have a think about a purchase or two when I'm in London in March.

Has anyone started yoga or anything yet? I'm being as active as I can, still going to dance class every week, cycled 12km today too, which I'm pretty happy with, did a fair amount of walking and cycling yesterday, though punctuated my day with food (cinema, dinner out etc)! :pac:

• Advertisement

I do agree, pumping is a massive pain in the arse. Thankfully I saw a lactation consultant and got sorted and was able to feed him myself directly. So much easier!

The breastfeeding support groups at your health centre that tfak mentioned are great, I went every week and made some new friends I've grown very close to. As we've moved areas my phn has changed - she rang today to introduce herself and have a chat and one of my first questions was is there a breastfeeding group! I went to a Cuidiu meeting a few weeks ago and they were very welcoming too :)

Yoga is not really my thing tfak but I'm hoping to start Aquafit soon to start building my strength up again after the sickness. I did it loads last time. Pregnancy Aquafit is mega expensive but most local council pools have classes that are a quarter of the price and pregnant women are welcome - you just tell them at the beginning of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Woshy wrote: »
    We bought a Citroen Xsara Picasso. It's a proper mammy wagon! We were going to buy a small two door for my husband to take to work and I'd have our current car but then I realised that our car is small enough when you take into account two babas with car seats and buggies and things so we've gone bigger :)

Sure, see how you go with the breastfeeding. You might end up sticking with it or you might not, no pressure! I sort of combination fed. My baba got one bottle of formula or pumped breast milk at about midnight that my husband gave so I got to sleep from say 10pm - until the next feed at 2am or 3am. If we hadn't done that I probably would have struggled a lot more and possibly killed myself due to sleep deprivation!

Woshy do you mind me asking which bottles you used for the midnight feed. I am 22+4 now and hoping to BF however I like your idea of hubby doing a feed so would like to have a couple of bottles just in case. There are so many different bottles that I just don't know which to go with. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greenpaper

I will be breastfeeding again I hope to take to it easier the second time around but it's true about it being easier eventually than bottles. If I had to wash and sterilise bottles again I would go mental!! It's actually more convienient too. i met some of my friends in a park for a walk and we decided to go to lunch. However one of my friends hadn't brought enough bottles for her baby so had to go home. We all had our boobs so away we went. So much easier to eat at the same time too. Try bottle feed a baby and have something to eat at least with breastfeeding you have a free hand. Oh and it's free!!
    Can't believe we are all nearly half way there. i keep thinking I need to buying lots because at this stage I had my head melted with travel systems, car seats, cots, monitors aaaggghh!!! We have all that so at a loss what to buy. Not a bad complaint i suppose. I want to get some new vests and babygros even though I have a mountain of stuff I just feel this baby deserves some new things too.

Blingy wrote: »
    Woshy do you mind me asking which bottles you used for the midnight feed. I am 22+4 now and hoping to BF however I like your idea of hubby doing a feed so would like to have a couple of bottles just in case. There are so many different bottles that I just don't know which to go with. Thanks.

We used the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles. They worked well abd my baba never had a problem taking a bottle. They're actually on sale in that Aldi link for €15.99 which is less than half the price they are in places like mothercare.
    Giving him one bottle was actually handy in the end because when I wanted to stop breastfeeding he was used to bottles and didn't care where the milk was coming from. My husband loved being able to feed him every so often too. If I was awake I'd just do it myself but it was nice to have the option of a bit more sleep!

I have the matching breast pump and steriliser so it all fit together which was handy. I'm hoping to pump a little bit more this time so I'll have milk in the freezer to use and avoid formula as much as possible.

Green paper - I feel the same, wanted this baba to have a few new things of her own :) and yes, remembering to prepare and bring enough bottles etc is a pain, especially if you get delayed or your baba is unexpectedly extra hungry. So handy to just get your boobs out! I'm looking forward to all the downtime too, where you have no choice but to to sit on the couch and cuddle because the baby is feeding.

I'm just back from aldi. Got my stairgates, some nappies and wipes. Woohoo :D

• Advertisement

Good work! I won't get down until this evening when my husband is home with the car. I can't wait until next week now when the new car will be ready :)

On a positive note my little boy slept until 9.30am this morning so my tired, pregnant self got a nice lie-in!

My little collection really isn't all that little now :eek: glad I got a few bits there though! And it's a relief having the gates

Now that's a nice lie on!! I'd love a lie on like that and I don't even have a baby yet :D

Lucky for us he's not an early riser in general (like his mama and dada!) but 9.30am is especially nice.

Def take a picture of your stash for us! I'm hoping to get into the attic in the next few weeks and go through the many, many bags of baby clothes we have up there. They're all just stuffed in random bags and not organised into sizes or anything so I need to go through them all, take the newborn stuff out and wash it and put it in the baby's room, clear out any stuff that's too masculine for a girl ready to give to somebody I know who has a boy in the future and sort out the rest into size order so I can easily pull them out later. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it!

Oh you are lucky!! I can just hope a pray for a good sleeper

I could just imagine how exciting it will be to sort out the stuff though. You'll find things you forgot you had!!

Here is my most recent stash :eek:

5hDgtW.jpg

Love the pic! You are definitely well organised :)

When I was pregnant I bought Johnson's bath stuff whenever it was on special (so it was half-price or less). It's not suitable for very newborn skin so I started using it when he was 2/3 months old and I didn't have to buy any at all for over a year. It was a great stash! It's expensive enough when it's full price but I really like it compared to other stuff I've tried.

Same with wipes, I only buy Johnson's or Huggies wipes if they are on special and are 1eur or less. I had packs of wipes everywhere when he was born from stocking up! I started using them after a few weeks and they lasted for ages, I found water wipes were crap and I couldn't be fiddling about with water and cotton balls for very long. His bum was fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

I have my scan this afternoon and can't wait to see baby again and then start shopping. I've held off completely until this point apart from my Pregnancy for Dummies book lol. We're actually going straight for a big purchase this weekend - nursery furniture. Going to buy a Mamas and Papas nursery set (cot, changer, wardrobe) from Argos as they have it for half price. Bargain! Love the M&P stuff but it's so expensive so delighted with this deal.

Will check in later and let you know how the scan goes!

Best of luck with the scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Also managed to pick up some blankets and muslin cloths In Aldi. Some lovely colours!!

Good luck fifi can't wait to hear how it goes. My scan isn't till next week, I'm so anxious for it!!

Thanks woshy :D I can't wait to get our room sorted and for it to feel like a baby room :)

Dying to hear about the scan Fifi!

• Advertisement

That's some stash allirog. I was in aldi this eve - they had some lovely stuff but the majority of it was blue or pink.... I think not finding out which we are having helps save money too - otherwise I'd be buying all the cutsie bits... :-)

That's true Blueberry, it'll hold you back from going mad - until the baba arrives anyway!

I started my hospital bag tonight, just by digging out the stuff I'd put away from last time and putting it all in the one place so I can add to it over the next few months. My friend's sister had her baby at 32 weeks and had nothing ready. She was taken totally by surprise - luckily she had a friend due the same time as her who had her stuff packed already and age just brought her bag into her. Because of that I had my bag ready to go at 32 weeks last time and intend to do the same this time. Since the hyperemesis I've had a little bag packed anyway in case I got admitted again (I got caught on the hop the first time and my husband did a woeful job bringing stuff into me!) but I think now it's safe to unpack it :)

I found the night dress I gave birth in last time, it's been washed and is completely clean. I was thinking about wearing it this time too, for luck. I didn't think I had too bad a labour last time (despite it ending in a ventouse delivery). Would that be weird do you think? I bought cheap nightdresses thinking I'd need to throw them out but the nightdress is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Well girls the scan was amazing! Everything is spot on - weighing in at 14oz and lovely long legs. We haven't found out the gender. Got to see baby's face in 3d and got some amazing photos to bring home. So delighted!

Fifi_123 wrote: »
    Well girls the scan was amazing! Everything is spot on - weighing in at 14oz and lovely long legs. We haven't found out the gender. Got to see baby's face in 3d and got some amazing photos to bring home. So delighted!

Aww, that's great. You must be all excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I should probably start thinking of a hospital bag too so. Any excuse to go shopping :)

I also love me some shopping :D

Last time I didn't pack ear plugs and I really could have done with them. I gave birth at 6.30pm and then didn't sleep a wink that night, although the baby slept right through. This time ear plugs and an eye mask are already in my stash ready to go! They were the first thing I put in there :)

Woshy wrote: »
    That's true Blueberry, it'll hold you back from going mad - until the baba arrives anyway!

I started my hospital bag tonight, [/quote.]

We'll that sentence well and truely frightened the b-jesus outta me!lol.

Yea girl I know had her first at 34 wks and was caught totally on the hop too.... (she was work that day - Labour that night!)

Delighted to hear all is wewe fifi....

Are all you ladies feeling bubs now? I was surprised last Sunday night - hubby had his hand on my tummy and ge felt the baby move/kick.... he showed me the exact spot and then it happened again a min later and he said he felt it again - without me saying anything both times. He felt it again this morning. So cute seeing the excitement on his face.... Delighted he can feel it now too - makes it a little more real for him :-)

That's lovely for your husband - it's so nice when they start to be able to feel things and see the baby as a real little living thing :)

I'm at the being kept awake by kicks stage. It's nice in one way because I get regular movement and know all is well but it is tiring

Fifi_123 wrote: »

That's wonderful news Fifi! Always a great relief.

Are all you ladies feeling bubs now? I was surprised last Sunday night - hubby had his hand on my tummy and he felt the baby move/kick.... he showed me the exact spot and then it happened again a min later and he said he felt it again - without me saying anything both times. He felt it again this morning. So cute seeing the excitement on his face.... Delighted he can feel it now too - makes it a little more real for him :-)

I felt some air bubbles moving across my stomach yesterday when I was lying in bed and the odd little flutter, I'm noticing it but not anticipating it in any way, it's funny, I cannot separate my clinical mind from my preggo mind in the slightest and I'd be happy not to feel movement until 24 weeks, just so I don't have to monitor it!

Not long back from my first of four night shifts, it was a pretty nice one, hopefully the others will be too. I love nights so much, hopefully I'll be able to keep them up until at least 32/34 weeks, if not until the end! Will have to see how I'm feeling closer to the time though.

I know what bag I'll bring for the hospital bag, no other planning being considered at this point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

My gosh you've all been busy on here!! On the subject of breast feeding to anyone on the fence can I just say keep an open mind. I read a few of you say that you want to be able to hand the baby over to get a break and this is a reason for bottle feeding but i'd like to share my experience that not all breast feeding mums are tied to the couch all day. On my 1st by the end of the 1st week his feeds took 30mins and he was feeding on a 4 hourly schedule. This meant once I fed him if I had anyone on hand like my mum or husband then I could pass him straight over for winding and a nappy change and I had 3.5hrs to myself. This was as much as anyone could possibly want because at that age you won't want to be apart from your baby for long. Now, I know this isn't everyone's experience of b'feeding (my 2nd had reflux and fed every 2-3hrs) but just keep an open mind and try it out first. Also, while pumping isn't ideal I used to just always make sure I had a few Ozs in the freezer so if I needed a break the option was there (or there's the option of combination feeding - best of both worlds for some). But in the beginning you won't want a break as much as you think you will, there's always going to be some time between feeds for a shower or to get out for a walk. I loved feeding my 2 babies and it's something i'm so looking forward too again, I'm not a gung-ho you have to breast feed type of mum, you have to do what's best for you and for your baby, I was formula fed and there's nothing wrong with me, and both my kids got formula in the 2nd half of the 1st year, but I just loved the experience so much that I think all mums should try it, it's a wonderful thing to do albeit very tough in the beginning. I fed both mine for a year but as this is my last baby I will probably feed forever LOL!!

Otherwise you are all scaring me with talks of building up supplies and hospital bags. I'm a lifetime away from any of that. Although I am currently shopping for a single bed so I can move my 5yo out of his toddler bed to make room for the 2yo to move into it to free up the cot for babs. That's the extent of me getting organised. 22wks and it still seems surreal to me despite the constant movement, the restless legs, the constipation and the increasing difficulty in cutting my toenails :(

Advertisement