Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Woshy wrote: »
    That's what I thought at the time but I had an 8 week early private scan last time and that showed I was dating a week early too - that's why the hospital changed my due date at 21 weeks because both scans showed my dates were out, not just one. So now, after having numerous early scans this time (when I was hospitalised) that showed my dates are accurate I think last time they were right!

Yeah i'd go with the early scan. I thought from your earlier post that they just changed it on your 21wks scan but if the early one was the same then it was probably right. This time i'm measuring 2 wks ahead at 21 wk scan but no talk of changing it which is good cos i'm certain of my dates, it's just a big baby at the moment, hope i don't go over :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Sucks about the sinuses, I had heard pregnancy aggravates sinus problems. Hope the rinse continues to help.

I'm feeling a bit better - less puking anyway!
    That's good!! Long may it last. I have heard of a few people over the last few days who have a tummy bug so hopefully you don't pick that up!!

I have my anomaly scan this week. Have to be honest, I'm unbelievably nervous about it! And now I really hope they don't push my dates out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I was nervous too Allirog but you'll love it! And don't worry about your dates, sure look at when my little boy arrived. It doesn't mean much :)

Ariana - the baba will probably level off and you'll be grand. Big babas are lovely and healthy looking anyway :) My little boy was 8lbs 1oz at 39 weeks so I'm glad I didn't go to 42 weeks though! The midwives all thought he'd be about 6.5lbs so shows how wrong they can get it!

Best of luck Allirog, i had mine nearly 2wks ago now and it was amazing but i do understand the nerves and worry before it. It's a big milestone to get over.

Girls anyone know what week the pregnancy becomes viable at? I think it's somewhere in the region of 24 weeks? I can't believe we're nearly at that stage, so many milestones now, we won't feel it til the 3rd tri.

Woshy mine were 8lbs & 8lbs 8oz. The 1st was very long & lean, the 2nd was shorter and chubbier, both perfect in my eyes anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

ariana` wrote: »
    Best of luck Allirog, i had mine nearly 2wks ago now and it was amazing but i do understand the nerves and worry before it. It's a big milestone to get over.

Girls anyone know what week the pregnancy becomes viable at? I think it's somewhere in the region of 24 weeks? I can't believe we're nearly at that stage, so many milestones now, we won't feel it til the 3rd tri.

Woshy mine were 8lbs & 8lbs 8oz. The 1st was very long & lean, the 2nd was shorter and chubbier, both perfect in my eyes anyhow.

A pregnancy is recognised as viable from 24 weeks gestation and once the baby is over 500g in weight. However, if you are in a hospital with experienced neonatologists and you go into labour and have your baby at 23+ and the baby comes out very vigorous and a good weight they will assist in resuscitation, though they wont take heroic measures.

• Advertisement

tfak85 wrote: »
    A pregnancy is recognised as viable from 24 weeks gestation and once the baby is over 500g in weight. However, if you are in a hospital with experienced neonatologists and you go into labour and have your baby at 23+ and the baby comes out very vigorous and a good weight they will assist in resuscitation, though they wont take heroic measures.

Thanks for the info tfak.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Tfak - sorry you prob don't want or need work qs here but just a quick one - is there any other standard scans done in olol post the 12 wks? Can't wait to see bubs again... it's so reassuring to feel it moving though... :-) strange but reassuring...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Tfak - sorry you prob don't want or need work qs here but just a quick one - is there any other standard scans done in olol post the 12 wks? Can't wait to see bubs again... it's so reassuring to feel it moving though... :-) strange but reassuring...

Im going to olol and its only the one scan blueberry

Im going to olol and its only the one scan blueberry

Thanks autumnbelle. Did u get a private anomaly scan done? Was hoping maybe they'd do another scan nearer d day...

Funny - I was just thinking about the viability thing today as I'm 24 weeks on Friday. I hadn't heard of the 500gms bit though. It's great to have you around for info tfak! Hope you're not sick of us asking things :)

• Advertisement

I was thinking about viability too.... I'm nearly 23 wks. We said we'd start buying a few bits at around 24 wks - it's kinda been an important date for us from the start... it's mad thinking the third tri isn't too far away for some here... feels like we only hit 2nd in the last could of weeks (for me anyway) the last ten wks or so have flown by!

Is 27 weeks the third trimester? - that is really soon!

It'll be fun to start buying stuff Blueberry. Have you decided on a pram and things?

I was at a mother and toddler group earlier and there was a girl I know there due a few weeks before me who has a toddler the same age as mine. She was asking what I was going to do for a buggy because she wasn't sure. Luckily mine does convert to a double buggy so I have that option and I think we'll just do that. She was stressing a bit about it because she needs to sell the one she has and buy a double one. When we bought our travel system originally my mum suggested we get one that converts, just in case - she is a smart woman :)

Is 27 weeks the third trimester? - that is really soon!

It'll be fun to start buying stuff Blueberry. Have you decided on a pram and things?

I was at a mother and toddler group earlier and there was a girl I know there due a few weeks before me who has a toddler the same age as mine. She was asking what I was going to do for a buggy because she wasn't sure. Luckily mine does convert to a double buggy so I have that option and I think we'll just do that. She was stressing a bit about it because she needs to sell the one she has and buy a double one. When we bought our travel system originally my mum suggested we get one that converts, just in case - she is a smart woman :)

My parents are giving us a car seat and buggy - they bought them brand new for a foster baby they had a few months back - they were barely used so we are going to use those.... need to have a look at cots etc. We don't want to spend loads of money on stuff we won't actually use... I don't think we'd make use of a changing table for example (other than to pile clothes on knowing me!)

You'd be surprised :) It's easy changing them when they can't move but once they can roll over and try and get away from you a changing table makes life a lot easier. It's the only place I can change my son without him getting up and running off on me with his bum on show for the world to see! Once he's on that table he kicks up a fuss but he knows he's being changed and can't get away. Ours is just from Ikea and was about €50

Great you're getting a free car seat and buggy - they're the big things!

I'm happy to answer work questions! When you go to your clinic appointments your midwife will measure the bump and feel the baby in it, if there is concern that it's too big/too small or a concern over movements then you'll be scanned.
    My parents are giving us a car seat and buggy - they bought them brand new for a foster baby they had a few months back - they were barely used so we are going to use those.... need to have a look at cots etc. We don't want to spend loads of money on stuff we won't actually use... I don't think we'd make use of a changing table for example (other than to pile clothes on knowing me!)

I think a changing table is a must (and believe me when I say we're buying the absolute minimum), your back wont be impressed if you're always twisting to change the baby on the bed or the couch or bending down low to change it. You could have a look on adverts or freecycle, no doubt there are some going free!

I agree i found the changing table very handy for the 1st year or so. Now i just change my toddler on a changing mat on the floor though. On both of mine after a year i just got sick of looking at it downstairs and that's where i mostly do nappy changes so i put it away and got a matt for €10 and use that on the floor, it's grand. Changing on a bed/couch is a disaster at any age, very uncomfortable and hard on the back, but i find the floor fine, i kneel down and usually end up having some fun tickling him or kissing his belly/toes as well, he loves it.

So we're all nearly at the viable stage - wow. I haven't bought anything yet, i might mark 24wks by buying a NB babygro, roll on next week :)

I was at my GP yesterday, baby is still measuring big (i think i mentioned at anomoly scan they estimated 15oz and average was 11oz) well just by position of the uterus by feeling it i'm now measuring 24+ weeks. GP reckons i might be moved out of the Midwives clinic and back to consultant led care, i would be devastated so fingers crossed it won't come to it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Morning ladies :) it's so niceooming out and knowing when we all have our little bundles the weather should, hopefully, be a bit nicer and the long evenings will be well established :) looking forward to the walks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Allirog wrote: »
    Morning ladies :) it's so niceooming out and knowing when we all have our little bundles the weather should, hopefully, be a bit nicer and the long evenings will be well established :) looking forward to the walks :)

Me too! I was just saying that to hubby the other day that I'm so pleased our first bub will be a summer baby so we can get out and about in the nicer weather and the long evenings.

Thanks autumnbelle. Did u get a private anomaly scan done? Was hoping maybe they'd do another scan nearer d day...

No I ended up not getting it done privately in the end, I'm a real worrier and I decided if I got an anomally scan done and was told there 'may' be something wrong I would stress big time :/ I would have loved to have gotten one done in hospital though... I know I'm a bit nuts!!

I agree i found the changing table very handy for the 1st year or so. Now i just change my toddler on a changing mat on the floor though. On both of mine after a year i just got sick of looking at it downstairs and that's where i mostly do nappy changes so i put it away and got a matt for €10 and use that on the floor, it's grand. Changing on a bed/couch is a disaster at any age, very uncomfortable and hard on the back, but i find the floor fine, i kneel down and usually end up having some fun tickling him or kissing his belly/toes as well, he loves it.

So we're all nearly at the viable stage - wow. I haven't bought anything yet, i might mark 24wks by buying a NB babygro, roll on next week :)

I was at my GP yesterday, baby is still measuring big (i think i mentioned at anomoly scan they estimated 15oz and average was 11oz) well just by position of the uterus by feeling it i'm now measuring 24+ weeks. GP reckons i might be moved out of the Midwives clinic and back to consultant led care, i would be devastated so fingers crossed it won't come to it :(

I am the same with measuring ahead, the midwife told me if I measure 3 weeks ahead I will be moved, I am was very close... 2 weeks and a bit ahead. How many weeks are you? I am the same I will be gutted if I get transferred! But whichever is best for the baby I am ok with

• Advertisement

No I ended up not getting it done privately in the end, I'm a real worrier and I decided if I got an anomally scan done and was told there 'may' be something wrong I would stress big time :/ I would have loved to have gotten one done in hospital though... I know I'm a bit nuts!!

They wouldn't just say that though, they'd follow up on it and it would mean they would be prepared on delivery day if baby is going to require any extra/special attention.

I don't want to scare anyone but my sister had soft markers found at her anomoly, its a very long story, but with her history of a previous pre-term labour (32wks), they insisted on her doing an amniocenthesis so they could be prepared in the case of another pre-term labour with other complications. She was also scanned every week for the rest of the pregnancy and very closely monitored. It all turned out reasonably well, i won't go into it, but the anomoly scan is so important not just to prepare mum & dad for possible complications but so the hospital can have everything and everyone on hand to best deal with your child's arrival should there be any problems.

I am the same with measuring ahead, the midwife told me if I measure 3 weeks ahead I will be moved, I am was very close... 2 weeks and a bit ahead. How many weeks are you? I am the same I will be gutted if I get transferred! But whichever is best for the baby I am ok with

At the scan 2 wks ago i was measuring 2 wks ahead and yesterday i was measuring 2+ wks ahead. 2 wks ago was by estimated weight from the scan and yesterday was just a midwife and it was by feel of the uterus so i don't know if that's more or less accurate?

I did midwives on my previous 2 and i would be so sad to leave them but of course whatever is the best for the baby, i guess i'm just not convinced consultant led care is best for baby.

At the scan 2 wks ago i was measuring 2 wks ahead and yesterday i was measuring 2+ wks ahead. 2 wks ago was by estimated weight from the scan and yesterday was just a midwife and it was by feel of the uterus so i don't know if that's more or less accurate?

I did midwives on my previous 2 and i would be so sad to leave them but of course whatever is the best for the baby, i guess i'm just not convinced consultant led care is best for baby.

Are you going to drogheda or cavan? Maybe they will just scan and then transfer you back in? I was just by feeling the uterus too. I wonder if it is common and then growth levels itself out and baby catches up. I was told at my 30 week appointment I may be sent for a scan to see is it fluid or if the baby is big. Or maybe they may change your dates?

Are you going to drogheda or cavan? Maybe they will just scan and then transfer you back in? I was just by feeling the uterus too. I wonder if it is common and then growth levels itself out and baby catches up. I was told at my 30 week appointment I may be sent for a scan to see is it fluid or if the baby is big. Or maybe they may change your dates?
    Yeah i wonder about growth spurts too, maybe tfak can help us when she's on next? Maybe it's not uncommon for baby to be big and then level out?

I know my dates are spot on by ovulation (i was almost 2yrs ttc so i have no doubt when i ovulated) and also by 2 early scans before 12 wks which are most accurate.

I'm wondering about my own weight gain as well and if that's the cause. I've gained more than recommended in the region of 9-10kg. But i had lost 10kg in the 6 months prior to getting pregnant and while i wasn't officially underweight i was on the very low end of normal bmi and i looked too thin (i got a lot of "you need a few hot dinners" comments). I actually weigh the same today as i did this time last year (and i wasn't pregnant then). But at the same time i'm wondering if my rapid weight gain is what's caused the baby to be on the big side. I feel so guilty if it is but i can't seem to stop eating lately :rolleyes:

Measuring the size of the bump with a measuring tape or fingers is generally very accurate, there is always a 10-15% margin for error on scans, I find at the end of pregnancy I'm more accurate at estimating babies weight with my hands than the scanner is.

Hopefully if you're transferred to obs they'll send you back to midwives, just keep asking!

They wont change your dates so late in the pregnancy.
    Yeah i wonder about growth spurts too, maybe tfak can help us when she's on next? Maybe it's not uncommon for baby to be big and then level out?

I know my dates are spot on by ovulation (i was almost 2yrs ttc so i have no doubt when i ovulated) and also by 2 early scans before 12 wks which are most accurate.

I'm wondering about my own weight gain as well and if that's the cause. I've gained more than recommended in the region of 9-10kg. But i had lost 10kg in the 6 months prior to getting pregnant and while i wasn't officially underweight i was on the very low end of normal bmi and i looked too thin (i got a lot of "you need a few hot dinners" comments). I actually weigh the same today as i did this time last year (and i wasn't pregnant then). But at the same time i'm wondering if my rapid weight gain is what's caused the baby to be on the big side. I feel so guilty if it is but i can't seem to stop eating lately :rolleyes:

The growth spurt may be due to you being able to eat well, just watch your sugar intake throughout, sugar makes babies big.

I've done a wardrobe clear out today, have to remember that I will be able to wear some of my dresses again post birth, not to get rid of everything!

Bought two lovely dresses in Cos yesterday too - one of them was 70% off, they have so much maternity friendly stuff, super quality, I love it so much!

tfak85 wrote: »
    I've done a wardrobe clear out today, have to remember that I will be able to wear some of my dresses again post birth, not to get rid of everything!

Bought two lovely dresses in Cos yesterday too - one of them was 70% off, they have so much maternity friendly stuff, super quality, I love it so much!

Thanks for all the info tfak :) Is cos an online store? I may look :)

Nice to get some new dresses! It's so strange not to be able to wear 90% of your wardrobe. I just made one shelf in mine dedicated to my maternity stuff/stuff that fits and that's on rotation. I'm not working though it's easy enough to live in my maternity jeans/leggings. I bought a nursing dress last week but it has loads of stretch so can be worn as a maternity dress too. I found last time not being able to wear many of my dresses while breastfeeding tough (it was a warm summer) so I'm prepped this time!

Ariana - hopefully you won't be moved back to the consultant. I went to the midwives last time and they were great, I would have hated to have been moved.

I am so exhausted today - which of course means puking. Ugh! I'm an Irish girl guide leader and had a meeting tonight, had to run off for a quick puke - not impressed! I'm just uncomfortable at night and sleeping terribly.

Thanks for all the info tfak :) Is cos an online store? I may look :)

Yeah, they are online at http://www.cosstores.com/ie/ they have a stand alone shop on Wicklow St Dublin and concessions in BT2 stores. Their kids clothes are BEAUTIFUL too!

@Woshy it's funny about the feeding friendly clothing, when I was clearing the wardrobe I kept everything with buttons!

• Advertisement

Yep, gotta get them boobs out fast if you have a hungry baby :)

I actually found just normal tops/t-shirts worked fine, I just pulled them up but it does put your flabby post partum belly on show a bit which isn't fun (although I have seen little belly band things to cover that area up if you're breastfeeding which I may invest in) I have some nursing tops I've dug out too anyway :)

Advertisement