Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Speaking of German shepherd (my husband first love!) Any of you ladies with children already have a dog....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Nope - we've a cat though that is my first baby :) We had no problems with them together at all - in general they ignore each other but if the baba is upset our cat gets very concerned and stands watch over him until he stops. It's cute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Speaking of German shepherd (my husband first love!) Any of you ladies with children already have a dog....?

We have a dog. A small house dog...who is used to jumping up on the couches whenever he wants...and wandering in and out of all the rooms.
    I'm not sure how he'll react when he can't jump up onto our laps when the baby is here.
    I think his life is going to change the most! Although he'll be glad to have me home for the few months of maternity leave and he'll probably end up getting even more walks too when I'm out walking around with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Don't have a dog but have a cat who currently sleeps on the end of our bed. He is being kicked out of the room in March, giving him plenty of time to adjust to the idea and we're not getting a moses basket for the living room because the battle to keep Pickle out of it will just be a bit too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Think i'm getting off very lightly on the hormone front, no real mad mood swings yet at any stage thankfully. To be honest this whole pregnancy has been going pretty easily and quickly. Bit tired in the early weeks and again last week but manageable. Hope this doesn't mean i'm in for a terrible last trimester or labour/delivery!

I'm back in normal jeans which is weird, I just randomly tried on a pair on Saturday that were a little loose before the preg and i ended up living in them all weekend, they sit low so all i can think is my bump is sitting high and they're closing below it. Far more comfy than any of my maternity jeans though so i'm happy out.

And on the subject of clothes i picked up a little maternity dress in New Look on Sat for €6 off a bargain rail. It's summery colours and short sleeves but nice now with a cardigan & leggings/tights & boots and will be nice with flip flops/pumps in May/June i think. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. We Don't have any major concerns - the dog isn't allowed in the house and is very gentle - I think it'll be more of a prob when the baby starts walking and is outside playing - the dog is just so big and playful... she calmed a lot on the last 6 months tho - she's three now and has come out of out the crazy pup stage.

I'm back to the hospital tomorrow - 24 weeks - seems like forever ago since our last scan - 8 wks ago! Guess we may start getting used to these visits from here on in....

I got a pair of maternity jeans in h&m - I like them except they have a FULL belly band waist thing - which I just need at the so I just roll it down - bit annoying but they're grand. I haven't been able to get any work maternity clothes anywhere - luckily I get away with jeans/leggings in work so it's no biggy. I personally Don't like leggings but that's all I could get plus these jeans. Got two pairs in penneys - they're grand they'll do the job for the few months but very much doubt they'll be worth putting away afterwards....

That's funny - I have my hospital appointment tomorrow too! I had my scan 4 weeks ago but it'll still be nice to see that everything is (hopefully) ok. The dietician asked me to get my iron checked now (it's done as standard at 34 weeks apparently) because I had problems with my iron levels in my last pregnancy and the months of not eating much probably haven't helped it. So I need to remember to discuss that!

My little boy loves dogs - even before he could walk he loved crawling around in between our friends dogs legs. He thought it was hysterically funny. It was the cutest thing ever. As long as you teach the dog and baby from the beginning to be gentle and keep a close eye on them both it'll be grand. They'll have a ball together and I think it's good for kids to grow up with animals.

I should show you the video I have of him playing with this dog when he was about 11 months old. It's hilarious!

Good luck to those with appointments today. I had apt at 16wks and scan at 21wks. Next up is the GTT at 26wks and next actual clinic appointment is 28wks. Seems like a lot of appointments already but i know the last 12 wks they'll get a lot more frequent. What's likely after 28wks anyone remember - i'm guessing 32, 36, 38, 40 wks?

I bought iron yesterday but haven't started it yet.

Blueberry i'm same can wear leggings and jeans in work which is handy. I was in Penneys in Galway at the weekend, atrocious selection in maternity. They have just 1 little rail dedicated to it and nothing under a size 16. I was pretty disgusted - New Look at least had 3 rails and had every size. Next had nothing you have to order online. For the amount of us around the shops really don't seem to cater for us. Anyhow i didn't need much but i just wanted a shopping fix ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

We have a near 9 year old Jack Russell who is very much the baby of our house. She very much claims sofa and armchairs and when she isn't on one of them she's usually upstairs on a bed!! She's so good though and is not a barker or that and is really good with kids so it's going to be interesting how this transition will go for her!!

Lots of appointments with everyone else too. I have my 24 wk gp visit on Thursday morning then my second anomaly scan in the afternoon and I have a GTT booked for early March and consultant the end of March.

I hate not being able to shop - there's no point in me buying anything, I have enough maternity stuff but some if the new stuff in the shops is lovely. I'll have to put some money away so I get a few things after I give birth :)

Appointment went well this morning. I've hit my pre-pregnancy weight which I'm thrilled about and baba and my placenta etc look very healthy. Baby is also head down (which she was at my scan too) so the consultant said she'd likely stay that way and as I had a successful vaginal delivery last time the chances of me needing a c section are low. I was very reassured to hear that, I want to avoid a section at all costs!

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    Appointment went well this morning. I've hit my pre-pregnancy weight which I'm thrilled about and baba and my placenta etc look very healthy. Baby is also head down (which she was at my scan too) so the consultant said she'd likely stay that way and as I had a successful vaginal delivery last time the chances of me needing a c section are low. I was very reassured to hear that, I want to avoid a section at all costs!

Wohoo sounds great Woshy. Well done on the weight gain. Both of my priors were head down at this stage as well and neither budged after that so i'd say you're looking good for what you want. The 2nd was easier too, no episiotomy required, i had a very small tear but no stitches I'll be interested to hear if mine is head down at next appointment, fingers crossed.

ariana` wrote: »
    Wohoo sounds great Woshy. Well done on the weight gain. Both of my priors were head down at this stage as well and neither budged after that so i'd say you're looking good for what you want. The 2nd was easier too, no episiotomy required, i had a very small tear but no stitches I'll be interested to hear if mine is head down at next appointment, fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you! Would be so reassuring for you to be told that.

Baba number one was head down at his scan and didn't move so it is looking good. Great to hear about the episiotomy too - I had a small one last time but it caused me no problems. It healed well and I didn't even need to take the painkillers they gave me so hopefully this time I won't need one. I did have a ventouse delivery though as I'm quite small and baba was over 8lbs so I may need a bit of assistance this time too - you got to be prepared for all eventualities really, you just don't know what will happen! I'm pretty laid back about things though, happy to go with whatever happens, unless it is a c section!

Woshy wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for you! Would be so reassuring for you to be told that.

Baba number one was head down at his scan and didn't move so it is looking good. Great to hear about the episiotomy too - I had a small one last time but it caused me no problems. It healed well and I didn't even need to take the painkillers they gave me so hopefully this time I won't need one. I did have a ventouse delivery though as I'm quite small and baba was over 8lbs so I may need a bit of assistance this time too - you got to be prepared for all eventualities really, you just don't know what will happen! I'm pretty laid back about things though, happy to go with whatever happens, unless it is a c section!

Absolutely every time is going to be different, it's best to keep an open mind. But like you I'd hate a c-section too especially at this stage. I had ventouse on first as well but no instruments on the 2nd. On 1st it was because he was in distress and they needed to get him out fast. It was very traumatic really at the time. The 2nd was just so lovely in comparison, just me, my hubby and a really nice midwife were present and it was all very very calm. The 1st time because he was in distress there was a whole team of HCPs there assissting in the delivery and waiting to take him but it was all for the best obviously :)

Well.... they officially changed my due date to the 21st June..... I knew they'd do that eventually... Feels kinda crap going backwards though.... makes me 22 wks and 2 days.... not 23 and a half....sigh. ah well - ill prob be glad in June in a way - if you go more than ten days over they move u out of the mlu back to consultancy so....

Today was my intro to the mlu - didn't get shown around though - that'll be at 30 wks appt on 13th April.... they just did urine, bp and bubs heartbeat - dh is CONVINCED it's a girl now cos the heartbeat was "galloping" and not like a train.....sigh...lol. hope all other appts are going this week.... :-)

Aww, I know the feeling Blueberry, it happened to me last time and I was pissed off about it but like I said before, my little boy arrived a week early, on his original due date anyway so don't be too despondent!

Ariana - I didn't fund the ventouse delivery too traumatic, although like you said when his heart rate dropped it was all stations go which was a bit mad. It would have been nicer if my husband had got to cut the cord instead of the baby being whisked away straight away but I was relaxed enough about it all. Obviously, I'd prefer not to have one this time.

Funnily enough, I'd been watching box sets of ER near the end of my pregnancy and in one episode two of the doctors were on rotation in the NICU and had to attend an assisted delivery. They told the parents it was standard for an assisted delivery and all was fine. When the midwife told me the NICU team would have to come down but not to worry I said I know, I saw it in an episode of ER and they were cracking up :D

Morning ladies, how are we all? I'm doing good thank good. Apart from the tiredness and being in bed by 9.30 max every night :D I'm doing grand. Am absolutely loving my kicks and movement and I'm waking a few times in the night and am getting an aul thump but I love it, it's just fab! :)

Get to see my little munchkin tomorrow again so I can't wait. Can't believe I will be 24 weeks tomorrow. Just seems crazy how fast it's gone, yet sometimes I feel it's taken forever!

Has anyone had a GTT? It's written in my appointment card but I don't have any details on it so I may go on their website and find out but just curious if anyone has had one and can enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Allirog you're going to The Coombe aren't you? I had my GTT there two weeks ago. The day before you eat normally, then fast from midnight. You'll get an appointment for 8.15 probably but I went in at 8 so was at the top of the list. It's in perinatal centre. You take a number when you go in then go to waiting room next door. When they call your number they'll confirm your details with your chart, then you line up to have your first blood test done. Once that's done you drink some Lucozade that is measured for you in 5 minutes and you're given the time for your second and third blood test. You go back into the waiting room and when it's time for your blood test you line up again. After the final one you get a voucher for tea or coffee and toast in the cafe and they'll contact you that afternoon if it's positive! You bring a bottle of Lucozade with you but you don't drink your own one, they pour them out into measuring jugs

Matalan has 3 for 2 on baby wear if anyone wants to pick up a few pieces.

http://www.matalan.co.uk/kids-clothing/kidswear/newborn-collection?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=week%2051&utm_content=JN12269%20Spring%201%20mailer%20offers%20v3%20no%20ls%20segment

I've ordered a couple of things from there for my little boy before and was happy enough. The stuff kept well when I unpacked it last week

Thanks a mill for that Angeldelight, what was your result in the end? I'm really hoping for a negative :D (As is everyone who has a GTT I'm sure :D)

Negative thankfully! There was a medical student doing some research there too actually which you could take part in if you wanted to - she was doing a fingerprick blood test after each full blood test to see do the results correlate. She wasn't meant to tell you result but I got a sneaky peek at my first and last reading while she was talking and knew they were well below normal levels so felt reasonably confident when I was leaving!

• Advertisement

Oh thank god for that! Mine is in two weeks so we'll see how it goes!

Had my follow up anomaly scan today and everything looked great so I'm delighted with that. Back with the consultant in 4 weeks so we'll see if I get a mini scan again.... I'm being really really spoiled with all these scans :)

How's everyone feeling? I'm doing ok expect for the tiredness, but it's not a big issue really. But I do have a horrendous pain in my hand, well mainly in just one finger, just holding a glass or cutlery is so sore!

That's brilliant news about the scan! I'm exhausted today, have been sleeping really badly for last few nights, counting down to finish work

You must be finishing soon?? I've thirteen weeks left! Feels like ages but I know it's going to fly in because I have a busy month of March so it'll go fast

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Evening ladies. Well after 24 weeks I finally have a pregnancy complaint. My lower back is killing me!! I think bub has been on a growth spurt recently and my back strated niggling at the weekend. I was at yoga last night which was fab and really helped and then it starred at me this afternoon at work. Will have to see about changing my chair I reckon as I sit as a desk all day.

Have any of you had a pregnancy massage? And if so wad it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Fifi_123 wrote: »
    Evening ladies. Well after 24 weeks I finally have a pregnancy complaint. My lower back is killing me!! I think bub has been on a growth spurt recently and my back strated niggling at the weekend. I was at yoga last night which was fab and really helped and then it starred at me this afternoon at work. Will have to see about changing my chair I reckon as I sit as a desk all day.

Have any of you had a pregnancy massage? And if so wad it any good?

I have a deep tissue massage about every 6 weeks, I've had one at 9, 16, 24 and 30 weeks (just this week, heaven!). It's great, I'd be a crock without it, but I usually have it done anyway before pregnancy so am a big fan. A good massage always helps sore muscles and particularly around your pelvis which is stretching and will give you lower back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

I have a deep tissue massage about every 6 weeks, I've had one at 9, 16, 24 and 30 weeks (just this week, heaven!). It's great, I'd be a crock without it, but I usually have it done anyway before pregnancy so am a big fan. A good massage always helps sore muscles and particularly around your pelvis which is stretching and will give you lower back pain.

Good to know, thanks! I used to go for regular remedial massages for my shoulders but haven't been for a good while. Have you been going anywhere special for pregnancy massages or just to your regular place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Fifi_123 wrote: »
    Good to know, thanks! I used to go for regular remedial massages for my shoulders but haven't been for a good while. Have you been going anywhere special for pregnancy massages or just to your regular place?

My regular place. I asked my gp if I needed to go to a special pregnancy place and she said no, and then the masseuse said it's absolutely fine to get deep tissue massages (and I mean painfully deep tissue) until well into the third trimester, I'm hoping to have two more. She said she sees women in agony thinking they can't have their regular massages when really it's a great time to utilise it because your muscles, pelvis, ribs, everything is shifting so much that the relief is great.

Allirog wrote: »
    You must be finishing soon?? I've thirteen weeks left! Feels like ages but I know it's going to fly in because I have a busy month of March so it'll go fast

Eight weeks left but most of them are three day weeks so it could be worse!

Eight weeks left but most of them are three day weeks so it could be worse!

Niiiice!!!! It's going to fly for you!! Aahhh so exciting :)

• Advertisement

A massage sounds lovely! I have a voucher for a pregnancy massage/facial but I'm saving it until I get more uncomfortable.

Anyone else suffering from being short of breath? I've noticed it a lot the last few days. I thought it only happened nearer the end when you get mahoosive but apparently it's common enough and can be a sign of anaemia which makes sense, given how tired I am all the time and that I do suffer from anaemia regularly (and had low iron my last pregnancy).

My consultant said to take iron supplements every two days as given I am still being sick it might be too hard on my stomach otherwise. I guess I'll just give that a go and see what happens. I am taking a pregnancy vitamin with iron in it but I know from last time I had to be really careful to take the iron supplement at certain times of the day and with orange juice for the vitamin C or it didn't seem to have a positive enough affect on my iron levels. This pregnancy lark is hard work on the oul body!

Advertisement