Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I think I'd feel the same. It's a private enough thing and you might be uncomfortable from contractions in the car and not want her to see it as well! Much nicer to just be able to call with good news :)

If I feel like things are happening quickly and my husband is at work I might get my Dad to drive me in. We'll see. I have to bring my little boy to my parents on the way anyway. I'd prefer to have husband around, drop the baba off and go in to the hospital then though! Hubby is a bit paranoid though because everyone keeps saying second labours are fast and I was only in labour 4-5 hours last time.

I got a good bit of my hospital bag packed today. I said before here that my friend's sister went into labour at 32 weeks and had nothing bought or packed so my rule is to have most of it ready by that time and I'm just about 30 weeks now. I already have experience this pregnancy of being hospitalised without having anything prepared. My first stay for hyperemesis my husband packed a bag for me and it was interesting what he brought! I was trying to explain to him what a crop top was and he just couldn't distinguish them from vests and I was too sick to really care. Second admission I had packed a bag myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

That's mad, ambulances are for emergencies!! My mother in law keeps saying we can just ring her and she'll bring us in.. I genuinely can't think of anything worse. I want to just tell everyone after the baby makes its arrival - she's the type would sit downstairs in the Coombe for hours waiting to hear just so she could tell everyone how worried SHE was

Jumping in here, I've had 2 and my husband can't drive and I would have hated my inlaws to be involved at that moment.

First time, waters went so I drove myself in for check, drove home and got taxi back once contractions were full whack.

Second time drove myself again, I'm hindsight shouldn't have!

For taxi, I got my husband to call a company in advance to ask, they said it would be no problem. The poor driver was great but i'd say he couldn't wait to get me out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Jumping in here, I've had 2 and my husband can't drive and I would have hated my inlaws to be involved at that moment.

First time, waters went so I drove myself in for check, drove home and got taxi back once contractions were full whack.

Second time drove myself again, I'm hindsight shouldn't have!

For taxi, I got my husband to call a company in advance to ask, they said it would be no problem. The poor driver was great but i'd say he couldn't wait to get me out of there!

Omg, were you ok driving yourself!? Mad thing!

I think taxi is probably the way to go alright... Will just put extra cash in hospital bag I think!

Woshy fair play to you having bag done... I've stuff bought but haven't actually packed it yet. Still need to wash all the babygros and stuff. I had planned to do it today so will hopefully get it done during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

We are so close to the hospital that I could feasibly walk there if I had to :D It actually irritates me when we run late for appointments and drive there and pay for parking because walking would take no time.

I have my bag pretty much sorted now, baby clothes are on top of the washing machine waiting to go in tomorrow. Guarantee I'll go as far over as humanly possible now just because I have stuff organised early! I'd just hate to be caught off guard being admitted.

I was so excited washing the little vests and babygros last time. It was such a reality check to see little tiny clothes drying in the house. My husband came home from work and was so happy to see them hanging up. It was sweet :)

Good idea to have cash ready just in case. The Hailo app is handy too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We're 40 minutes no traffic to the hospital. It'd be at least an hour during peak times. It's one of the only good thing about being induced, knowing you won't be driving to hospital through country roads in the throes of labour!

Woshy wrote: »
    I was so excited washing the little vests and babygros last time. It was such a reality check to see little tiny clothes drying in the house. My husband came home from work and was so happy to see them hanging up. It was sweet :)

Good idea to have cash ready just in case. The Hailo app is handy too!

Ah yes, the teeny vests are especially adorable. Oh and the little nappies! I remember showing himself how small they were when I was packin the hospital bag. He couldn't get over the size of them. And they were size 2's. Never bothered with size 1's!

I love the teeny tiny preemie baby clothes. Because my boy was over 8 lbs at birth I only ever used the 0-3 month stuff, not even any newborn stuff. When I see tiny baby clothes in the shop,it makes me say squee :D

I actually ordered the newborn nappy loan set from the cloth nappy library. They'll send it to me just before my due date. I'll get it for 2 months and then send them back. I can't wait to see the really small cloth nappies and try them out! I have one pack of newborn disposables packed for the hospital anyway as well

Ha when I was taking them out of the packets I went to show him a 0-1 month vest, for up to 10lbs. He looked at it, realised what it was, said "Holy sh!t that's very small", and looked away and wouldn't look at it again haha :P

My little girl was 8lbs 2oz as well and she was the smallest baby so far by at least a lb in my family so I mainly got 0-3 months. Got one or two up to one months in case she surprised us by being a little tiny tot.

• Advertisement

Well, if it helps you can tell him they don't stay that small for very long!

I was 6lbs when I was born and I'm absolutely tiny in terms of bump, so for now I'm assuming these up to 1 month (10lbs) ones will be ok, I have a selection of them, 0-3, nothing newborn. I have a friend due very soon after to me so anything that doesn't get used or gets grown out of quickly will go to a new home in no time which is handy.

I was 6lbs when I was born and I'm absolutely tiny in terms of bump, so for now I'm assuming these up to 1 month (10lbs) ones will be ok, I have a selection of them, 0-3, nothing newborn. I have a friend due very soon after to me so anything that doesn't get used or gets grown out of quickly will go to a new home in no time which is handy.

Don't be so sure, even with the tiny bump! I was pretty small the last time and still had a big enough baby! She was 10 days overdue though. Have you been given any indication of size so far? Scans can be inaccurate I know but were spot on with me. Midwives gave a pretty decent estimation too.

I love the teeny tiny preemie baby clothes. Because my boy was over 8 lbs at birth I only ever used the 0-3 month stuff, not even any newborn stuff. When I see tiny baby clothes in the shop,it makes me say squee :D

I actually ordered the newborn nappy loan set from the cloth nappy library. They'll send it to me just before my due date. I'll get it for 2 months and then send them back. I can't wait to see the really small cloth nappies and try them out! I have one pack of newborn disposables packed for the hospital anyway as well

Husband refuses to even contemplate cloth nappies! Didn't realise there was a cloth nappy library. Might take a look. Would be good to see if it suited us.

Roesy wrote: »
    Don't be so sure, even with the tiny bump! I was pretty small the last time and still had a big enough baby! She was 10 days overdue though. Have you been given any indication of size so far? Scans can be inaccurate I know but were spot on with me. Midwives gave a pretty decent estimation too.

I meant to say actually that I know my own weight and stuff have absolutely no bearing on this one, my husband wasn't big either, none of the babies in my family are, so for now I'm just guestimating because I have nothing else to go on! Nope have been given no indication of size at all, next appointment isn't until April.

Roesy wrote: »
    Husband refuses to even contemplate cloth nappies! Didn't realise there was a cloth nappy library. Might take a look. Would be good to see if it suited us.

Yeah, it's a great way to try out the different brands and types before committing to buy any. You can get a newborn loan and a general one with larger nappies. The cost savings might convince your husband!

I was also tiny last time - nobody believed me when I said I was almost due. My delivery midwife thought I'd have a 6lb baby but no, had an over 8lb bruiser and I was a week early. So as Roesy said you never know!

Yeah nobody believes me when I say how long I have left or how much pain/discomfort I'm in, they think I look "fine" and only a few months gone so should be feeling fine. I've put on a load of weight even though I look the same but with the little bump, so one part of me thinks it's a monster baby that weighs a load, and the other part wants a nice petite baby...not that small little me was an easy delivery for my mum actually though!

Some women just carry small. My mum was the same when she was pregnant and I was the same weight as my baba when born.

Actually, I did read that the Mother's birth weight has an bearing on the baby's birth weight so if you were 6lbs your baba might be around that too.

Actually, I did read that the Mother's birth weight has an bearing on the baby's birth weight so if you were 6lbs your baba might be around that too.

Good woman Woshy, leave me to my petite delusions for now :)

Christ on a bike, now I have backache and feeling pukey too... Someone shoot me please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Lots going on here today!

Please don't order an ambulance unless there is real emergency, there is nothing more frustrating than seeing an ambulance crew stroll in behind a woman that clearly has nothing wrong with her! It costs the HSE approx 400euro to send an ambulance to your house, not to mention the cost of some poor person dying of a stroke or heart attack because a pregnant woman was prioritised for nothing!

I have considered the new born loan pack too Woshy, I need my hubby to get his hands on some cloth nappies before I can have him fully convinced on them but I think he's pretty much there now. I know there is a new shop in Dun laoirghe selling them and I think we might go to the Pregnancy and Baby Fair (market research for work - obv) and see what's on offer there too, though I think my mother is keen to join me for that.

I may have spoken too soon about getting away lightly with the back pain/pelvic pain!! The last couple of days when I'm out walking I get this crazy sacro-iliac pain, if I power through and keep walking it eventually eases, well, it did today when we walked up Ticknock but at the time the pain was really bad. I was grimacing, I'd say people thought I was in early labour! I have a friend who is a physio so I'm going to give him a shout and see about getting a support, I work 13hour shifts on my feet and I have to make it through!! I also don't want to be in a situation where I can't exercise, may need to hurry up and get a swim suit sorted!

Tfak fair play to you doing those shifts, I wouldn't be able for that at all. My 6-8hr days were bad enough, I was exhausted after work every night, in physical pain all over. I have pretty nasty pelvic pain on one side now, if I'd a crutch it'd be amazing instead of having to lean on everything and hubby! Tis bad when youre fantasising about a crutch.

I'm looking forward to trying the mini nappies :) all the nappies I have and use on my little boy are supposed to be birth to potty but I know with him he was about 7 weeks when they started fitting him, even though they are supposed to be 8lbs and up and he was that when he was born. That's why I got the newborn loan set - to keep is going until the bigger ones fit.

The general loan with the larger birth to potty nappies might be more useful for you to try out different styles and brands tfak. It might be harder to tell from the newborn versions what type of nappy suits you and your baba the best. I really do recommend trying the birth to potty ones out before committing to a brand. If I could go back in time I'd do that and buy a lot more of one type over the ones I did buy at the beginning. Bumgenius freetimes are my preferred nappy for definite. If I'd tried them first I probably would have only bought those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

thanks for reminding me i need to look in to the cloth nappies. hubby thinks i'm mad when we went disposable on the first 2 but i want to try them now.

Sorry to hear some of you suffering with back/hip/pelvic pain and sickness still. I've been getting away very light so far. Yoga/Pilates class tonight and i'm looking forward to it already. Really have to get my MB10 sorted too, i started filling it weeks ago but didn't finish it, have to drop it to the GP soon & get it to HR next week. I'm so slow to do anything, still nothing down from the attic or not a thing bought for the hospital bag, i'm 29 weeks, need a kick up the rear. I know i don't have much to buy but still :o

Getting to the hospital is a worry isn't it. I live 45 minutes with no traffic
    and about 1 hr 15min with traffic from the hospital. I work 20 minutes in the opposite direction as well. And hubby works near the hospital. So if it happens while hubby is in work realistically i'd have to make my own way and meet him en route and i've 2 kids to drop somewhere. It worked out fine last time, it started in the early morning before hubby left for work. It's the unknown that's hard. My friend is being induced 2 weeks early, i'd love that just to be able to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Contacted the physio dept and they said I need a referral. Joy! I'll just have to wait. The pain is now in my pelvis, hip and the last few days it's gone right into my pubic bone. Ouch!!

I'm not too worried about getting to the hospital.... Yet!! My oh drives and can get me there no problem and thankfully my mam and sister only live a few mins away so they can help me too if necessary but I'm sure my attitude might change closer to the time!! :D

I was chatting to some of the ladies in work and they asked did I have my bags packed, I said no and they seemed horrified. I thought it was a bit early, but maybe I should have something ready??!!

Allirog i think 32-34 weeks is easily time enough. Its very rare for anything to happen before that. To be honest i wouldn't pack it too early cos you'll just keep checking it and drive yourself daft. I personally would want the baby's clothes freshly washed and not sitting in a bag for any longer than 4-6 weeks. Now that's just my opinion! You could start spreading things out on a spare bed to get organised and then if god forbid anything happened you'd either be able grab them yourself in a hurry and or hubby would be in a better position to gather bits 'n' bobs for you. I'm 29wks and i plan on starting that over the week few weeks. I'll try to get up to the attic this week and start making a list of what i need to buy and take it from there. I'll have it done by 34 weeks ;) (but best laid plans and all that :D)

I think it's early enough for you to have it done Allirog. I'm aiming to have mine finished in the next 2/3 weeks but the stuff I do have is all in one set of drawers so could be dug out easily if I needed to.

Still finding myself tired a lot - I don't envy you guys working full days! My little boy has just gone for a nap so I've got back into bed with the cat for a rest. I feel slightly guilty until I remember how awful being up at night with a newborn is. I'm going to enjoy all the rest now while I can! At least this time I know it does pass and your sleeo gets back to relative normaility eventually

Dead right Woshy. I had Monday off work and my mum came to spend the day so when my toddler went for his nap i went to bed & she entertained the older dude, i passed out and got 1.5hrs sleep, oh god i was like a new woman after it, i didn't know myself. I've been having a fairly easy pregnancy (touch wood) and i didn't think i was tired but geez it was such a treat to grab a nap in the middle of the day, i'd do it every day if i could and wouldn't feel a bit guilty ;) I got out for a walk on my own as well, it was heaven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I don't plan on having my hospital bag packed before I'm 34-36 weeks, even around then if you go in and have your baba it's going to be too small for any normal baby clothes anyway!

Girls one of my worst nightmares was almost just realised! I was sitting having scrambled eggs and toast for my lunch and I started to choke - on my own! Luckily some air was getting through as I was coughing like a maniac but I was just about to throw myself over the back of a chair and had visions of running into the road, banging on doors, it was seriously scary! Of course after all the panic and coughing I threw up the bloody lunch! Not going to tell my OH til he's home from work later, don't want to freak him out unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

Oh god tfak that's horrific!! Thank God you were able to get it out :eek::eek: think it would put me off scrambled eggs for life...

I have just put my first lot of baby clothes in the washing machine, am so excited to see them hanging on the clothes horse :o

Advertisement