Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

tfak85 wrote: »
    I don't plan on having my hospital bag packed before I'm 34-36 weeks, even around then if you go in and have your baba it's going to be too small for any normal baby clothes anyway!

It's more that I'd like to have stuff like pj's, clothes, grooming stuff for me, wipes, pads, etc, all that stuff in the bag so that I don't have to get my husband to gather up random clothes and items for me, which would be more hassle than it'd be worth for both of us. Baby things are easily found in the house because they're new and obvious, it's all my stuff I want ready just in case.
    I have just put my first lot of baby clothes in the washing machine, am so excited to see them hanging on the clothes horse :o

Mine are done and hanging on the clothes horse...I feel nothing, it's like I'm just washing them for someone else or something. 34 weeks and still no hint of acceptance or excitement, has to be a record! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Tfak, what a horrible ordeal. Now that would just freak me out so glad to hear you're ok now! Eeekkk!! And on the old scrambled eggs too!!

I'm gonna get my few bits an bobs sorted over the next few weeks so. I thought it was a bit much alright because while I have empty bags sorted, I had zero intention of filling them but I did get a bit freaked and the whole am I leaving it too late kinda got me! Glad I'm not a complete nutter :D but I can't wait to get washing all the small stuff :) this baby is a lovely little miracle and I just can't wait to get my hands on him/her so enjoying the little things like washing newborn baby gro's has to suffice :D beyond excited I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

I haven't bought any baby clothes yet... don't plan on buying much... haven't really thought seriously about the bag yet either. I'm 27 wks this weekend so was thinking end of April or so.... ill be around 32 wks by then.... it's weird I have this feeling I'm going to go early - just a week or two - absolutely no reason for it just A wierd feeling I have (maybe its just me hoping because the thoughts of going 2 wks over....) Ugh....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Its exciting getting the bits 'n' pieces sorted! I'm definitely going up to the attic this weekend and make a list of what i need to buy, all i can think of right now is the maternity pads, cotton wool, arnica & tea tree oil - i should have everything else non disposable. Ooooh and probably new pads for my TENS machine.

Woshy i looked up the cloth nappy library last night, gosh it's confusing, so many different types :confused:. I booked the Newborn cloth nappy loan kit in the end, so excited about it now. I got it for 5 days after my due date, i don't want to waste it if i go over due. I'll be more comfortable with disposables for the hospital and those first few icky nappies anyhow.

tfak scrambled egg? Seriously! Never heard of anyone choking on it, it would have been one of the first foods i gave my babies, i'm shocked, you poor thing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

That's great Ariana! I booked the loan for my due date but I'm going to use disposables in the hospital as well - just less hassle, especially with the sticky first poos. There are so many types of nappies and it can be confusing at first but if you have any questions at all, you can always send me a message! I foresee lots of iPad time during the long nights while up breastfeeding so I'll be about :)

I only need two more things for baba's arrival - a new mattress for the little cot and the extra seat for our buggy. There's so much less shopping this time around. It's nice financially but I love shopping so I want to buy stuff even though I know I don't need to :D

I used nipple shields to breastfeed last time (they were a lifesaver with getting baba to latch). Would it be gross to use the same ones again? I'll obviously sterilise them etc

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    That's great Ariana! I booked the loan for my due date but I'm going to use disposables in the hospital as well - just less hassle, especially with the sticky first poos. There are so many types of nappies and it can be confusing at first but if you have any questions at all, you can always send me a message! I foresee lots of iPad time during the long nights while up breastfeeding so I'll be about :)
    Thanks I'll probably be taking you up on that :)
    I only need two more things for baba's arrival - a new mattress for the little cot and the extra seat for our buggy. There's so much less shopping this time around. It's nice financially but I love shopping so I want to buy stuff even though I know I don't need to :D
    Yeah, i'm the same. I'll buy a couple of new babygros & vests eventually. I did for my 2nd. It's nice to have something brand new to put on on new baby ;)
    I used nipple shields to breastfeed last time (they were a lifesaver with getting baba to latch). Would it be gross to use the same ones again? I'll obviously sterilise them etc

I used the same ones on #1 & #2 and i'm sure i'll use them again. I didn't need them as much or for as long the 2nd time.

That's good to hear Ariana, hopefully I won't need them so much this time either. I do feel like my boobs have toughened up a bit since last time (is that tmi?!!). I used them because of flat nipples so I'm hoping previous breastfeeding has helped them along. I must make sure to put some in my hospital bag actually now that we're discussing them - very important!

I bought some new pink babygros to celebrate the new arrival but she'll be wearing her brothers vests and things! I was in TK Maxx the other day and they have lovely baby outfits for really good prices. I bought a couple of 6 month plus things, I couldn't resist. There's just so much more choice in girls things then boys so it's easy to go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

Hope everyone's doing well, had a fairly crap day, wasn't feeling much movement even after eating and drinking lucozade so went to the hospital to check everything was ok, was waiting 5 hours but eventually got the all clear, baby was moving and heart rate ok, just exhausted now, 29 weeks, don't know why but my excitement has turned to nervousness in the last few days, feel like I'm stressing over everything, if someone tells me once more I look so small and am I sure everything is ok with the baby I'll freak!! Think this is why I'm so nervous, people are starting to stress me out saying I'm tiny for the weeks I am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It is very worrying at this stage petal, no doubt about it! I think there's a lull in the second trimester where you're not expecting much movement or to have a big bump and you've gotten through the "12 weeks" that everyone says is the danger period and you can relax. Then when you get to third trimester you know your baba's pattern of movements etc and they can start to properly scare you by going quiet!

I was 31 weeks when I had a day like that and headed into the Coombe - just like you everything was fine but I was shaking like a leaf. Also it's easier said than done but try not to let other people's comments bother you. Give it a few weeks and the same inconsiderate asses will be saying "jaysis look at the size of you, are you sure there's only one in there ha ha ha"... people feel pregnant women are fair game for all sorts of comments, God only knows why!

It's true - people just love to comment. I'm always getting told how small I am and I had people telling me that right up until the end last time too and I had a fine sized, healthy baby. Some women just carry small!

• Advertisement

It is very worrying at this stage petal, no doubt about it! I think there's a lull in the second trimester where you're not expecting much movement or to have a big bump and you've gotten through the "12 weeks" that everyone says is the danger period and you can relax. Then when you get to third trimester you know your baba's pattern of movements etc and they can start to properly scare you by going quiet!

I was 31 weeks when I had a day like that and headed into the Coombe - just like you everything was fine but I was shaking like a leaf. Also it's easier said than done but try not to let other people's comments bother you. Give it a few weeks and the same inconsiderate asses will be saying "jaysis look at the size of you, are you sure there's only one in there ha ha ha"... people feel pregnant women are fair game for all sorts of comments, God only knows why!

Thanks angeldelight, that's exactly it... people just saying things and not thinking.. Especially the mother in law saying are you sure you're pregnant and not having us on!! Just gonna try and let it go over my head though, thanks for your reply though, it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who's had a day like this, just one more day of work left till in off for the weekend, can't wait for just some me time at home

Oh god girls, i'm finally paying for having an easy pregnancy so far. I was awake for 4hrs last night with heartburn followed by leg cramps. I still have the heart burn and i've lost count of the amount of Gaviscon i've chewed my way through. I'm also sweating - anyone else have this? I couldn't put on a coat this morning getting in the car - i was in a t-shirt and light cardigan. And then of course the kids wanted to leave their coats off:mad: and now i'm sitting in work in a t-shirt and i'm still over heating. Baby has taken up home right under my ribs, my back is killing me, i've a splitting headache, i'm so tired, i was completely out of breath climbing 1 flight of stairs at work. I just want to go home curl up in a ball and cry or sleep or maybe both.

Sorry for moaning :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Petal765 wrote: »
    Hope everyone's doing well, had a fairly crap day, wasn't feeling much movement even after eating and drinking lucozade so went to the hospital to check everything was ok, was waiting 5 hours but eventually got the all clear, baby was moving and heart rate ok, just exhausted now, 29 weeks, don't know why but my excitement has turned to nervousness in the last few days, feel like I'm stressing over everything, if someone tells me once more I look so small and am I sure everything is ok with the baby I'll freak!! Think this is why I'm so nervous, people are starting to stress me out saying I'm tiny for the weeks I am :(

Petal I sympathise. I also seem to be carrying small even though all the baby measurements are as they should be. My own mother has gotten me so worried a few times asking was I sure the baby is ok as I'm small. I am 29 weeks now. Asking about movement etc. The placenta is at the front so it took a long time for me to feel kicks and even now there is no pattern. If I was to listen to mum I would be up in holles St every couple of days getting checked out. It's really annoying and has stressed me out a few times.
    My motto now is to ignore. The doc is happy with everything and that's all that matters. MIL hasn't seen me yet and all her daughters have been huge at this stage so I am sure there are more comments to come!!
    Good luck.

@ariana you poor thing! Thankfully I haven't had any major heartburn episodes just a few that a rennie or sip of milk was able to fix! I hope you're not at work today and you can try relax a little! Hard with two small ones Id imagine. And you're more than entitled to moan! :)

As for the remarks on the little bumps, I'm the complete opposite. I was asked twice yesterday when my finish date in work was because ''it has to be soon'' and when my reply was Nope may 22nd the faces were priceless. Clearky I look like I am about to burst :D

Had my 28 week check up today and got a little scan of the baby. All is good thank god. He/she is breech at the moment but hopefully a somersault will happen soon :D but yay for third trimester!!! Woohoo!!

Allirog wrote: »
    @ariana you poor thing! Thankfully I haven't had any major heartburn episodes just a few that a rennie or sip of milk was able to fix! I hope you're not at work today and you can try relax a little! Hard with two small ones Id imagine. And you're more than entitled to moan! :)

As for the remarks on the little bumps, I'm the complete opposite. I was asked twice yesterday when my finish date in work was because ''it has to be soon'' and when my reply was Nope may 22nd the faces were priceless. Clearky I look like I am about to burst :D

Had my 28 week check up today and got a little scan of the baby. All is good thank god. He/she is breech at the moment but hopefully a somersault will happen soon :D but yay for third trimester!!! Woohoo!!

In work unfortunately Allirog, feeling miserable but thanks for making me feel ok about moaning!! I'm finishing same day as you, i'll be 38 +1. Two weeks ago my boss asked me am i finishing at the end of March or the end of April :mad: I mean seriously, i'm not THAT big :rolleyes:. I don't think people really mean harm by commenting so i tend to take it with a pinch of salt, half the time i think it's just making conversation. In fairness to my boss this morning when he saw me he knew straight away that i was having a bad day and he was very sympathetic (well as sympathetic as a man can be to a pregnany woman who isn't his partner :D)

Delighted to hear all good at your scan. Baby has plenty of time to move yet hopefully breech won't be an issue for you.

Oh no! :( least you'll hopefully be home soon for a few days off!! I found myself focusing more on May 22nd than my actual due date :D haha gas that your boss asked that! Instead of asking what your actual finish date is, but like that, I don't think it's any badness when people ask/make a comment! But I can see why it could be upsetting at the same time!

Plenty of time indeed, so I'll just have to keep poking the poor thing :D

Defo i'm the same Allirog the countdown is to finishing work for sure. And i'm already saying to myself i might take a sick week at the end, i haven't taken a pregnancy related sick day yet on any pregnancy but this one if i'm struggling as much as i am today i might just finish a little bit early, i'm telling myself that now to keep myself going anyhow, i'll probably be fine when it comes to it and i'll end up struggling on til May 22nd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

What is it with people making comments, people tell me I look big, I've measured my bump and know it's the right size but I can't help but feel paranoid!!

You poor thing Ariana, to have everything happen at once like that! If you have the weekend off hopefully you can relax a little, maybe your other two could massage you head to toe!

I'm on nights at the moment and slept pretty well today, until a house alarm started going off across the street and my cat decided to cry and cry to be let in (he has his own window that he refuses to use) and wake me up!

Ariana I haven't taken a sick day yet either, but I've been lucky that I haven't worked many full 5 day weeks because of appointments or using up annual leave. I keep telling myself not to be a martyr. I like that advice :D

Tfak my dog did the exact same thing at 5am. She hates sleeping in the house but this morning she decided she wanted in!

My oh came home yesterday with a pair of over the bump maternity tracky bottoms for me as a surprise. Oh my god I am in heaven. They are the most comfortable bottoms I have!!!

Blingy I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a bit stressed about it, I'm just like you, placenta in the front so haven't any set pattern to the movements so that definitely adds to the stress, I'm just glad when I do feel them, 29 weeks too so were definitely along the same lines!! Finished work for the weekend now so nice to be relaxing on the couch, I've so much admiration for all of ye with babies and toddlers already... must be hard dealing with feeling crap and looking after a little one too xx

• Advertisement

I hope everyone had a nice weekend? And all the pet antics settled down!

I feel a lot better than i did on Friday. I'm sleeping propped up on 2 big fat pillows now instead of my usual 1 thin one and this seems to be helping the heartburn. I'm still getting restless legs for 1-2 hrs every night but i may just have to accept it as norm. And i've just devised a plan so that my last 4-5 weeks in work i'll have a morning off mid-week where i can drop my kids to school/creche and i can go back home to bed, this has cheered me up no end :) I'm not sure when i'll fit in cleaning the house and stocking the freezer with dinners to get us through the early weeks but maybe i'll get a burst of energy in the next 10 weeks :confused:

Allirog i'm so jealous of your trackie bottoms! I'm in PJs as soon as i get home every evening. Girls i'm in pumps with no socks today in work in March :eek: I just couldn't face the effort of getting socks on and my feet were so hot/itchy all weekend that i kept having to pull my sock off :o

30 weeks this week :)

Ariana glad you have found a helping solution for your heartburn! And that's fantastic that you are getting a morning of going back to bed! I've been trying to work out how I don't have to work a five day week between now and may 22nd... I'm still working on it :D

My dog decided at about 2 am to start barking at the birds. She hates sleeping in the house but when she want a bird, she lets everyone know about it :D

Oh the tracky bottoms are amazing!!!! They are just unreal. I'm literally living in them, washing them and putting them straight back on :D

Allirog wrote: »
    Ariana glad you have found a helping solution for your heartburn! And that's fantastic that you are getting a morning of going back to bed! I've been trying to work out how I don't have to work a five day week between now and may 22nd... I'm still working on it :D

My dog decided at about 2 am to start barking at the birds. She hates sleeping in the house but when she want a bird, she lets everyone know about it :D

Oh the tracky bottoms are amazing!!!! They are just unreal. I'm literally living in them, washing them and putting them straight back on :D

I hope the morning off works out Allirog, at the moment it's just a plan in my head, and it'll be just for the last week in April and the 3 weeks in May, but it's giving me something to aim for :)

Gosh Allirog sounds like a baby will be no bother to you if you're used to a dog waking you up at 2am :D

Yeah, the 2am wakings are good practice! Our cat was up to mischief last night too. He's so clingy and cuddly at the moment and he's getting worse! He sleeps with us at night, usually at the foot if the bed but last night from 5am he wanted cuddles and wouldn't leave us alone. We're both wrecked!

Then the toddler had us up at 6.45am again, he's been doing that all last week for some reason, even though he normally wakes after 8. We've black-out curtains in his room so it's not the light.

So today, I feel like **** - knackered and puking all morning. My little boy is cranky and just wants to watch tv so I've been letting him watch all day so I can lie down. Bad mammy alert! He had a short nap instead oh his usual 2 hours too so we're both even more tired. Ugh - just a horrible day!

The restless legs sounds horrible Ariana - as if sleeping isn't hard enough. I hear ya on the finding time to fill the freezer. We did that last time and it was a godsend. We've an empty chest freezer sitting there too waiting to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Try to up your magnesium intake ariana, it might help the legs, can be difficult to get enough in the diet but even a bit more might help

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php

I finished a run of four nights this morning, I'm wrecked, though I'm not sure if I'd be any more tired outside of pregnancy! My cat did his very best to wake me up while I was sleeping during the day too!

I actually think being a shift worker will be a benefit when it comes to breastfeeding - I can sleep as soon as the opportunity arrives and can eat anything at any time of day too.

GTT tomorrow morning - dreading it!

I think the shift will help tfak! I've never done shift work but I'm great napper - can easily sleep whenever I get the chance. Two phns have asked me if I was a shift worker when we've discussed this as apparently lots of people find napping when the baby does hard but shift workers generally don't!

The cat is now sunning himself in the garden absolutely conked out - it's well for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tfak85 wrote: »
    GTT tomorrow morning - dreading it!

I know you know all about it but from personal experience even if you don't suffer particularly badly from heartburn I'd get a small packet of Rennies or something to bring with you for as soon as you're finished. I don't really suffer with it but the combination of eating nothing for so long with the fizzy Lucozade in on top nearly killed me - had to chew about 4 of them before I could even eat something and I was starving!

tfak thanks for that. I didn't realise but it seems i eat a lot of Magnesium already - i eat pumpkin seeds & brazil nuts daily. And at least 3-4 times per week i'd have Spinach, bananas, wholewheat pasta, oats and other nuts/seeds. I could work on upping my dark chocolate intake though ;):D:p

I don't know how you do shift work. I couldn't adjust. Will it make childcare difficult or does your OH work regular hours? I'm a pretty good napper as well as long as i don't consciously decide to nap :o I'm very good at randomly falling asleeep on the couch or in the car (not when i'm driving :P) but if i decide i want to nap then sleep never comes til it's near time to get up again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Hey ladies. Are any of you being bombarded with mad superstitions? I've had countless people say to me "oh you can't have any baby stuff in the house until after baby arrives". And then when I say we have most bits apart from the pram which will go to the in-laws I get looked at as though I have 5 heads!! It's driving me insane!

• Advertisement

I never got it too bad but I know a lot of people are superstitious! Like you're not going to feel any worse if something happens to the baby and you've got stuff in the house - nothing will make you feel any worse!

My in-laws are quite conservative Hindus so I did get a bit of hassle from them but only really after the baby was born. They have a lot of traditions that have no basis in reality, it's just something they've done for years so they think it's the only way to do things. They still believe that a mother shouldn't leave the house for 40 days after giving birth and then they do some kind of "cleansing" ceremony (which they used do here like over one hundred years ago - it was called "churching"!). Your mother is supposed to move in and do everything for you - as if husband's don't exist! My aunt in law was horrified that I took the baby out for a walk 2/3 days after getting home from hospital. We got many lectures about how it was very bad for me and my health. It was a lovely sunny day and we walked for about ten minutes!

Advertisement