Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah Ige heard that from loads of people - it's bad luck! I just say I don't believe luck has anything to do with it - if something happens to my baby I won't feel any worse about it because I have stuff in my house for him/her. I would panic if I was in hospital and hubby/parents etc were running round buying car seat, blankets, buggy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

After a hectic few days with bad pelvic pain, the little woman being all out of sorts, clingy and waking early I was having a crisis of confidence about how I was going to cope with two under two. Then I clicked onto Facebook and a post from the BLW page I like popped up on my newsfeed. One of the members had a picture of her 10 month old quads all lined up in a row in their highchairs eating away. Needless to say my worries seemed a little more trivial after seeing that :D

I'm a terrible napper. Found it really hard to sleep when baby was sleeping but would lie down when she did. Won't have that option this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm a pretty good napper as well as long as i don't consciously decide to nap :o I'm very good at randomly falling asleeep on the couch or in the car (not when i'm driving :P) but if i decide i want to nap then sleep never comes til it's near time to get up again :rolleyes:

I'm like this, can only nap if I'm not trying to! If I decide I want to sleep then I'm wide awake. I've always been a bit of an insomniac so I'm hoping it'll finally come in handy with a baby - a full night's unbroken sleep is alien to me so it hopefully won't be as much of a shock to the system having a newborn waking during the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Roesy wrote: »
    After a hectic few days with bad pelvic pain, the little woman being all out of sorts, clingy and waking early I was having a crisis of confidence about how I was going to cope with two under two. Then I clicked onto Facebook and a post from the BLW page I like popped up on my newsfeed. One of the members had a picture of her 10 month old quads all lined up in a row in their highchairs eating away. Needless to say my worries seemed a little more trivial after seeing that :D

I saw that picture on the blw page as well, adorable, but yeah coping with 2 kids or 3 of different ages in my case seems a doddle compared to that!! She's some momma :eek:

Yeah Ige heard that from loads of people - it's bad luck! I just say I don't believe luck has anything to do with it - if something happens to my baby I won't feel any worse about it because I have stuff in my house for him/her. I would panic if I was in hospital and hubby/parents etc were running round buying car seat, blankets, buggy etc

The idea of not having anything baby related in the house is ridiculous, i'm sorry, i don't generally ridicule other people's beliefs/superstitions but seriously :confused: :rolleyes: I remember bringing my 1st home, took him out of the car seat and for a minute i remember my hubby and I looking at each-other going "ok, what now, what do we do with him?" but there was the moses basket sitting ready to go so popped him in and put the kettle on... it fell into place from there but how could anyone not be at least a bit organised :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

I would be in a complete panic if we had nothing in the house! And I would rather my hubby has a couple of days to visit me and bub in hospital as often as he wants, instead of rushing around like a mad man trying to organise everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Also, while my husband is pretty good and fairly capable there's no way he would have had a clue what to get for a baby, when it was our first - I'd want to do it myself. I had to send him out for a few things in the first week or two but not much and with clear links from a website!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Usually lack of magnesium is to blame for the restless legs ariana, hopefully it will settle itself.

I will be 28 weeks on Wednesday and so far I have one vest and two slings, all gifted to me. I guess it's partially related to my job but I don't want anything in the house until WAAAYYY closer to to the time, everything is picked and everything will be purchased around the 36-38 week mark but it probably wont come here until after baby arrives. Obviously I'll have the neutral bits in the hospital bag and stuff to get through the first couple of days but feck all else; you get given so much stuff, shops don't close after babies are born.

My husbands aunt is making some cardigans for us, they are 90% complete, to be finished after the birth - now that's really superstitious!

It's funny what you say about the hindu traditions with the women supporting the new mother after birth, while we see it as strange in our society, there is a lot to be said for continual support following the birth - you see more of that in cultures that have way more breastfeeding than we do here in Ireland and that's not a coincidence! I cannot wait for my babymoon and I know my mother is really looking forward to just feeding me and supporting me while I focus on feeding my baby! My hubby has two weeks paid paternity too which is still considered a luxury here, though hopefully will become standard!

My mum and husband did a lot for me last time, he had three weeks leave and my mum was on her summer holidays so was over every day. It was the being forbidden to leave the house I had a problem with! I wasn't an invalid - I felt better after giving birth than at any stage in the previous 9 months as I wasn't feeling sick anymore. I hated that they justified it as being for my good but really it was just what they were used to so they had convinced them self it was for my own good. It's part of their religious rituals like a 7 day naming ceremony). I would have gone stir crazy not allowed outside my house for 40 days in the height of summer!

It's my body - I should get to decide what I feel up to! my husband got a lot of snotty comments about it from my aunt in law. Also the fact that my mum didn't move in with us got a few lecture. She lives ten minutes down the road!!!

None of my husband's cousin's breastfed for longer than 2 weeks either so it's not like it was for that reason! Ah - in-laws :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I'm the same as you guys, I don't think the graveyard shifts will be too hard on me. I'm used to waking up a few times a night and I'm generally awake for a while. Plus my dog is giving me a good training session as it is!! :D as for the napping, I have no problem there either so we'll see how it works out!! :D

I've not had any superstitions thrown at me, thank god. They'd be wasted because I've so much stuff here already from a travel cot to car seat to changing unit. And never mind the about of nappies and cleaning products and clothes :D I'm getting my pram, cot and Moses basket this weekend and to save on space I might ask my mam to take them but that'd be the only reason. I'm not superstitious at all but I've had a chat with my mam and sister and asked them that, heaven forbid, if there was something that'd they'd come and clear the house out before I got home.

• Advertisement

Allirog wrote: »
    I've not had any superstitions thrown at me, thank god. They'd be wasted because I've so much stuff here already from a travel cot to car seat to changing unit. And never mind the about of nappies and cleaning products and clothes :D I'm getting my pram, cot and Moses basket this weekend and to save on space I might ask my mam to take them but that'd be the only reason. I'm not superstitious at all but I've had a chat with my mam and sister and asked them that, heaven forbid, if there was something that'd they'd come and clear the house out before I got home.

Gosh it's awful to be thinking that way but i think for me part of the grieving process would be too clear out the house? That's why i don't mind having stuff ready in advance. If anything awful happened i'd hate to come home to a house that's devoid of baby because it would be like the whole pregnancy/baby never existed whereas it did, it's a loss of life like any other loss of life and part of the grieving process after losing anyone is to eventually pack up their belongings... oh god i'm in tears here now...it doesn't bare thinking about. I guess everyone has their own feelings on whether to have stuff in the house or not and as in all things in life each to their own...

tfak i love your version of the babymoon but i think it probably depends very much on the mother/daughter relationship. I love my mums to bits and at times she's been my lifesaver, especially since i became a mum but i can't imagine anything worse than her moving in with me for any period of time greater than a night or two visit :pac: though if she lived close enough to visit daily and bring a dinner for a few weeks then that would be wonderful (in my dreams :rolleyes:). I breast fed my 1st baba for 1yr + without any support as neither of the mothers or any of my sisters/in-laws had b'fed. I suppose i was lucky it worked out for me i'm sure it is part of the low b'feeding rates in Ireland compared to other countries.

It really doesn't bear thinking about does it. But let's be good and positive, baby's will be here before we know it :) I just had a gawk at the ikea website. I see a visit looming prettying damn soon :D

I'm really lucky, my mam and sister are only a few mins drive away so they'll be around. My oh's parents live a good hour away and don't drive so we'll have them over to stay Id imagine. As for the breastfeeding support, my mum not any sisters breastfed so it's going to be a challenge for me too. That's if it works, if I stick to it, and of course if baby manages it too.

I'm absolutely lovin all my kicks at the moment. The baby is breech at the moment so I'm getting kicked very, very low down paired with a tickling sensation that gives me an urgency to pee :D but the punches up further are gas. It's proper ripples and 'hey you out there... I'm awake' kinda punches :D love it

I'm loving the kicks too Allirog. Had a check-up yesterday and baby is head down but of course still has plenty of room/time to move. The baby's back is up along my left side, bum is under my ribs and legs & arms are kicking/punching my right side to bits :D He's positioned exactly as i had guessed myself. She said it's very easy to palpate my bump because i've no weight on and i just used an online pregnancy weight gain calculator which tells me i've gained 1lb MORE than i should have so far :D

Yea that's it, plenty of time for baby to move! At my anomaly scan the sonographer said the head was down so if it's down at that point there's little chance of it turning so it's just typical of me :D do you know you're having a boy or are you waiting for a surprise? (Sorry if I asked you this before :o)

I haven't weighed myself in ages, I'm due back to the gp next week so might ask her to weigh me and I'll see then. What calculator did you use online?

Yea that's it, plenty of time for baby to move! At my anomaly scan the sonographer said the head was down so if it's down at that point there's little chance of it turning so it's just typical of me :D do you know you're having a boy or are you waiting for a surprise? (Sorry if I asked you this before :o)

I haven't weighed myself in ages, I'm due back to the gp next week so might ask her to weigh me and I'll see then. What calculator did you use online?

No it's going to be a surprise but i always seem to refer to baby as "he" i think it's cos i've 2 boys so i don't know any different.

I used this one
    http://www.thebabycorner.com/tools/pregnancy/calculators/weightcalculator.php

I'm convinced mine is a boy so I keep calling it a him :) my oh thinks I'm having a girl. Least we know it's one or the other :D any names picked ariana?

Thanks for the link, I'll have to get weighed and see where I'm at :D

I'm avoiding weight gain calculators, they tell me off for not putting nearly enough weight on. It's not my fault - I'm trying! :D

The heartburn was terrible all day yesterday, I was like a dragon. It was better last night though and I got an ok nights sleep - except my little boy came in for an hour for cuddles which was a bit disruptive! It's amazing how much better you feel with a bit more sleep.

I did get some good news yesterday too - my close friend has been trying for a baby since just after we started trying for this one. We were hoping we'd have babies together at the same time. After 7-8 months of trying she got her positive test yesterday. Got a nice pic sent to me if it! I'm just so thrilled for her. There'll be 6 months between our babas which actually works out well for me passing some stuff onto her. Yay!

We've a girls name picked (for now but that could change again ;) ). But nothing for a boy yet. There's a few I like but nothing hitting us that we both love and can agree on. It's a lot to get right, we have to love the name, it has to work with the surname and it has to work with the other kids' names too i think.

Woshy wrote: »
    I'm avoiding weight gain calculators, they tell me off for not putting nearly enough weight on. It's not my fault - I'm trying! :D

The heartburn was terrible all day yesterday, I was like a dragon. It was better last night though and I got an ok nights sleep - except my little boy came in for an hour for cuddles which was a bit disruptive! It's amazing how much better you feel with a bit more sleep.

I did get some good news yesterday too - my close friend has been trying for a baby since just after we started trying for this one. We were hoping we'd have babies together at the same time. After 7-8 months of trying she got her positive test yesterday. Got a nice pic sent to me if it! I'm just so thrilled for her. There'll be 6 months between our babas which actually works out well for me passing some stuff onto her. Yay!

I wish i'd your problem with weight gain Woshy! But actually i realised last night that i converted KG to LBS wrong so i am bang in the middle of healthy weight gain range instead of being 1lb over :)

Woshy that's lovely news for your friend :)

Are you getting a girl feeling Ariana? I had a girl feeling this time and I was right. However I also had that last time and was wrong! I was wondering if we should have a back-up boy name just in case but we just can't think of any

I put my weight into that calculator for the laugh and it told me I was 16lbs below the lowest end of the healthy range for my height. lol! :D in fairness, I lost 15lbs while I was sick so I'm probably actually doing ok. I have my next appointment at the hospital next week so I'm sure they'll check it out again.

• Advertisement

Are you getting a girl feeling Ariana? I had a girl feeling this time and I was right. However I also had that last time and was wrong! I was wondering if we should have a back-up boy name just in case but we just can't think of any

I put my weight into that calculator for the laugh and it told me I was 16lbs below the lowest end of the healthy range for my height. lol! :D in fairness, I lost 15lbs while I was sick so I'm probably actually doing ok. I have my next appointment at the hospital next week so I'm sure they'll check it out again.

No, not getting any feeling this time Woshy. On both the others i was convinced they were boys and they were. This time i just don't know. Think all i know is boys so it has to be a boy but i'm not as certain if that's a gut feeling or more just cos it's all i know - if that makes any sense :confused:

That's gas Woshy that's a big weight loss. I've gained a fair bit but i weigh the same as i did at the start of my 1st pregnancy! I've been lighter starting each pregnancy than the one before it and i was never over weight - running after kids is great for weight loss, that and not eating crap cos you don't want them eating it :D

That's good to hear having older kids keeps the weight off! I was very slim after giving birth last time (again due to sickness). I was in my skinny jeans a week or so after my baba was born. However I put on a good bit of weight while breastfeeding because the novelty of food being attractive again and no nausea added to the amount my little boy fed meant I went mad with the eating, I had to lose it then when I stopped breastfeeding. I need to be careful this time!

I do get a girl vibe from you Ariana if that helps :)

That's good to hear having older kids keeps the weight off! I was very slim after giving birth last time (again due to sickness). I was in my skinny jeans a week or so after my baba was born. However I put on a good bit of weight while breastfeeding because the novelty of food being attractive again and no nausea added to the amount my little boy fed meant I went mad with the eating, I had to lose it then when I stopped breastfeeding. I need to be careful this time!

I do get a girl vibe from you Ariana if that helps :)

A girl would be lovely, it's the last baby either way and a healthy baby is the main priority but another boy and i'll probably be feeling a bit out-numbered by them all :P My boys want a girl as well especially the older lad he keeps saying he wants a sister so i'd love to give him one :)

I eat all around me b'feeding too. I never lost the last bit of pregnancy weight until after i weaned fully. I think the body stores on to some to allow for nurturing a baby.

Woshy I'm delighted to hear your friends good news. That's just fantastic! What a blessing. And hope the heartburn has eased a bit!

Ariana I hear what your saying about the girl thing, as nice as it'd be it doesn't really matter once he or she is healthy and that's so true isn't it?

We have our names sorted. We have whittled our very long lists from about ten of each to three of each and we are sticking to that.

We watched one born every minute last night. I just don't know how I'm going to do it, lol. It looks rather ouchy! :D

We watched one born every minute last night. I just don't know how I'm going to do it, lol. It looks rather ouchy! :D

rather ouchy... oh lord I'm laughing out loud here Allirog, sorry m'dear! That is one way to describe it but you know what you'll be fine, it all happens gradually and there are plenty of pain relief options along the way. And you know what the big thing for me was that by the time i got to that stage i was so desperate to evacuate my baby that i was jumping for joy at the start of contractions! I had a few mantras such as "each contraction is bringing my baby closer", and "i can do this". I got one of those hypno/gnetle birth CDs and i just clung to a few mantras which helped me through it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Woshy I'm delighted to hear your friends good news. That's just fantastic! What a blessing. And hope the heartburn has eased a bit!

Ariana I hear what your saying about the girl thing, as nice as it'd be it doesn't really matter once he or she is healthy and that's so true isn't it?

We have our names sorted. We have whittled our very long lists from about ten of each to three of each and we are sticking to that.

I watched too... Didn't mind watching the labour/pain/pushing part but found the emergency section quite upsetting. The fact that baby was whisked off and she only got to see a picture :(

@ariana I know it's pretty funny and I'm not usually a scardy cat but I really don't like blood lol! I've no doubt I'll be grand but it was just one of those oh crap moments!! :D

@angeldelight yea I didn't like that bit either but it was good to see the reality of what does and can actually happen too. Obviously with the outcomes being good enough :)

@ariana I know it's pretty funny and I'm not usually a scardy cat but I really don't like blood lol! I've no doubt I'll be grand but it was just one of those oh crap moments!! :D

I had recorded it and watched it last night. Oh lord it all came back to me, i'd obviously blocked bits out cos i had quite a few oh crap moments watching it last night too i can tell ya :eek: But i got kinda excited too, i always cry when the baby is born :o

I was so glad they followed up on the little baby who was taken away, sounds like he's doing great, talk about a challenge for a young couple with a pregnancy and then a sick baby and they only 16/22 and the baby isn't even his biologically but i really found myself rooting for them, i hope they stay together.

Yea the follow up was good! A nice outcome to the story! I just found all the blood and that a little bit 'OMG' if Ya get me. As I keep telling my oh, I'm just gonna sneeze and the baby will pop out :pac: :pac:

We're off shopping this weekend for a few big bits, and we're decorating. Can't wait!!! :D

• Advertisement

Yea the follow up was good! A nice outcome to the story! I just found all the blood and that a little bit 'OMG' if Ya get me. As I keep telling my oh, I'm just gonna sneeze and the baby will pop out :pac: :pac:

We're off shopping this weekend for a few big bits, and we're decorating. Can't wait!!! :D

My oh crap moments was the contractions & pushing near the end for the 2 girls who delivered naturally. I suppose it just reminded of how intense and seemingly never-ending they are at the time but of course they do end and then they become a distant memory :pac: You won't see much blood m'dear don't worry about that, i don't remember seeing any, they kind of half wipe the baby as they lift him/her onto you for skin-to-skin and once baby is on your chest it'll be the last thing on your mind you'll be too busy being completely blown away with the rush of emotions :)

Exciting times shopping and decorating. Enjoy it ;)

Advertisement