Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm trying to work out if my little fairy has turned yet. Tummy feels quite empty low down and most of my movement is to the sides. I've got very little pressure low down and don't need to use the bathroom much during the night so I'm guessing no. I did have a good bit of painful movement last night so was wondering was he or she finally going head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Roesy wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out if my little fairy has turned yet. Tummy feels quite empty low down and most of my movement is to the sides. I've got very little pressure low down and don't need to use the bathroom much during the night so I'm guessing no. I did have a good bit of painful movement last night so was wondering was he or she finally going head down.

When's your next check up? I'm in next Monday nearly 37 weeks. Until then i'll have to wait and see, and keep playing the guessing game. This week felt long with no antenatal check up but it'll be weekly from next week.

How's everyone else feeling now? I'm still wrecked but persevering with work. It's nearly the weekend again and then i'll be down to the last 2 weeks. I can't believe how quickly it's going really, we'll have babies before we know it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I know, I'm 37 weeks tomorrow, madness! I'm dying for baba to get here, although I've started getting nervous about labour more and the thoughts of the sleep deprivation to come freaks me out too. I'm ok, just tired all the time and feeling big and uncomfortable. I try and remember that when I was 8 weeks pregnant and stuck in the hospital on a drip and loads of meds I thought I'd never get to this stage but I did! I can happily cope with 3ish more weeks after that :)

Woshy wrote: »
    I know, I'm 37 weeks tomorrow, madness! I'm dying for baba to get here, although I've started getting nervous about labour more and the thoughts of the sleep deprivation to come freaks me out too. I'm ok, just tired all the time and feeling big and uncomfortable. I try and remember that when I was 8 weeks pregnant and stuck in the hospital on a drip and loads of meds I thought I'd never get to this stage but I did! I can happily cope with 3ish more weeks after that :)

You've been through a lot Woshy. I've had it easy, it's just the past 2 weeks that are killing me and even that it's not anything serious, just tiredness, feeling uncomfortable, restless legs and some heartburn. I keep telling myself i've had it easy and that i will actually miss aspects of being pregnant so to try to enjoy the last few weeks but i have to say i'm finding it tough to follow through, i DONE with it now :rolleyes:

Think i'm in denial about labour not giving it any thought yet :o

I am so done too - I know how you feel, the last few weeks are tough! Are you finished work next Friday?

With the whole labour thing, I sort of know what's coming and I don't at the same time. So it has me on edge! My friend had her second baba over the weekend and her labour was very quick (even though her first wasn't particularly fast) - 4 pushes and the baba was out and it was a 9 pounder. I'm not sure whether to be scared or comforted by her story. I had a good chat with my husband about my fears last night, just to make sure he can advocate for me as best as possible if I'm in a bad way. One of my fears is that I'll go very quickly but the hospital won't take how far along I am seriously. That happened to my aunt on her second and she had the baby in the admissions office :eek:

Then on the other hand I worry that I'll go really slowly this time and will be in for a shock. That I'll think I'm dilating quickly like last time and then it'll turn out I'm only 1cm or something.

My consultant said it's likely to be quick enough and to come into the hospital as soon as I feel anything so we'll see! It's just been on my mind a lot the last 2/3 days. Fear of the (sorta) unknown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Hi all, i commented early in this thread but was so anxious that things would go well for me, that i was almost afraid to input too much (ive had a few m/cs). Anyhow, im now 35 + 5, baby is great and im on the home run. Today i was told that baby is breech, unlikely to turn and ive to go back next week. If he hasnt turned by then, i will be booked in for a section. My question is how long will they wait to do section? Will they make me wait anthr week after next wks appointment (meaning two wks from now) or might they do me earlier? Im over 40 and they have already told me they wont let me go past my due date. Im at holles st and public..

I don't know anyone that has had a section for a breech baba but I had a few stays in Holles St and anyone that was in the ward with me that needed a section for some reason was let go until 39 weeks unless something happened where the baba had to come out ASAP for some reason. The midwives said they like to wait until 39 weeks so baba us as ready as possible.

When is your next appointment? They should tell you then what the plan is. There's still a little bit of time for baba to turn though :)

Next week..like the rest of you, ive just had enough at this stage and was hoping they might do it earlier! I have a few other issues that mean they wont try to turn him...

Maybe they will do it earlier, I guess it depends on how baba is doing! I just remember the midwives saying to a couple of mums in the ward with me that they like waiting until 39 weeks if they can, but that's without any other issues or complications I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Fittle wrote: »
    Hi all, i commented early in this thread but was so anxious that things would go well for me, that i was almost afraid to input too much (ive had a few m/cs). Anyhow, im now 35 + 5, baby is great and im on the home run. Today i was told that baby is breech, unlikely to turn and ive to go back next week. If he hasnt turned by then, i will be booked in for a section. My question is how long will they wait to do section? Will they make me wait anthr week after next wks appointment (meaning two wks from now) or might they do me earlier? Im over 40 and they have already told me they wont let me go past my due date. Im at holles st and public..

Welcome back! I'm thrilled for you, getting to this stage! They wont book you in for section before 39 weeks as best evidence says elective sections should be avoided until then.

There are plenty of things you can do yourself to try and turn baba, plenty of time with your bum in the air and your chest on the floor, lots of time on the birthing ball, acupuncture is fantastic for turning breech babies. Your acupuncturist may also offer moxibustion which is something they can show you how to do at home with a partner or friend.

• Advertisement

Hi Fittle. Same as the others, i've only ever heard of planned sections being at 39 weeks except where for 1 case which was done at 37 + 5 but that was an extremely complicated case, the mother had a history of pre-eclampsia & had a previous 34 weeker AND the baby had his own very serious complications as well. The mother had been on bed-rest for most of the pregnancy and the baby needed surgery as soon as he was born.

Have you done any pre-natal yoga? At my class the teacher often mentions that such a position will help baby turn if they are breech or so on - as tfak said head on the floor & bum in the air is one of them! Very glamorous!

How's everyone else doing today? Woshy i understand your nerves about going faster 2nd time around, i was the same and it was faster but not too fast that i didn't get to hospital. The midwives generally take you more seriously 2nd time around, or at least that was my experience. I think there's always going to be some fear of the unknown! I'm the same but i'm just trying not to dwell on it yet!

Thanks for the replies girls, much appreciated. My problems are physical, I have SPD and am using crutches and am not very mobile. I also have a large hernia just under my breastbone, and fibroid which mean if has very little space to move around. Baby is doing great though and in no distress and will happily stay where he is until he's full term..its just mammy who's in bits!!
    I've been following all your stories since day one and love keeping up on your progress.

Oh Fittle poor you, you sound like you've had a really tough pregnancy. I guess you'll just have to wait to see what they say at your appointment. I'm sure there are some exceptions to the 39 weeks. I know of 2 girls who were induced at 38 weeks because they had either 2 or 3 older kids and it suited them better with school holidays & planning for child-care for the older children (both were Private patients which may have been a factor). So you never know.

Its funny, despite my physical ailments, my mood has been amazing and i have myself convinced ive had a brilliant pregnancy ! Now if only we could bottle the pregnancy hormones and sell them ;-)

Its funny, despite my physical ailments, my mood has been amazing and i have myself convinced ive had a brilliant pregnancy ! Now if only we could bottle the pregnancy hormones and sell them ;-)

Good for you Fittle. The end prize will be more than worth the suffering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Afternoon ladies! Hope you are all well today.

Well I have to share the most disgraceful thing I have ever come across..... I was at my GP earlier in the week and she gave me a certificate for part time work only for the next 2 weeks as I'm completely exhausted. Anyway I had assumed that as it is a doctors certificate, it's basically the equivalent of phoning in sick in advance for a few days. It turns out that my employers are completely underhand.... apparently this doesn't count as sick leave and if I work part time for the next 2 weeks then I will be paid as a part time employee. I am absolutely horrified!! And the worst part is that HR haven't actually told me this directly. I found out because they had emailed my team leader about doing a risk assessment on my work station and also mentioned the change in my pay.

So 1. they are trying to shaft me out of my full time ages; 2. they haven't had the courtesy to actually let me know about this directly; and 3. this is the first time they have even mentioned a risk assessment on my work station. Pretty shoddy given that I am 35 weeks today! I actually had to arrange a different desk for myself some weeks ago as I didn't have much room for movement behind my old desk.

I'm currently sitting here flitting between complete disbelief and absolute rage!

Fifi_123 wrote: »
    Afternoon ladies! Hope you are all well today.

Well I have to share the most disgraceful thing I have ever come across..... I was at my GP earlier in the week and she gave me a certificate for part time work only for the next 2 weeks as I'm completely exhausted. Anyway I had assumed that as it is a doctors certificate, it's basically the equivalent of phoning in sick in advance for a few days. It turns out that my employers are completely underhand.... apparently this doesn't count as sick leave and if I work part time for the next 2 weeks then I will be paid as a part time employee. I am absolutely horrified!! And the worst part is that HR haven't actually told me this directly. I found out because they had emailed my team leader about doing a risk assessment on my work station and also mentioned the change in my pay.

So 1. they are trying to shaft me out of my full time ages; 2. they haven't had the courtesy to actually let me know about this directly; and 3. this is the first time they have even mentioned a risk assessment on my work station. Pretty shoddy given that I am 35 weeks today! I actually had to arrange a different desk for myself some weeks ago as I didn't have much room for movement behind my old desk.

I'm currently sitting here flitting between complete disbelief and absolute rage!

Oh Fifi stress you definitely don't need right now!

I'd been wondering about going part-time without losing pay. I'm fine in the morning (well as fine as anyone is at 36 weeks pregnant) but by afternoon my back is killing me so i was thinking if i got a cert to say i can only work mornings. But i hadn't looked into it so I have no clue what your rights are from a legal point of view but i should think your employer would honour your cert regardless from a moral perspective.

Would you get full pay if you went on full sick leave? If it's a case that you would and there's some legality can't you be sick part-time then i would f**k them and go and get a cert and finish up altogether, that would be a lesson for them that if they had been nice about it at least you'd still be with them part-time! Maybe ring Citizen's Advice.

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh Fifi stress you definitely don't need right now!

I'd been wondering about going part-time without losing pay. I'm fine in the morning (well as fine as anyone is at 36 weeks pregnant) but by afternoon my back is killing me so i was thinking if i got a cert to say i can only work mornings. But i hadn't looked into it so I have no clue what your rights are from a legal point of view but i should think your employer would honour your cert regardless from a moral perspective.

Would you get full pay if you went on full sick leave? If it's a case that you would and there's some legality can't you be sick part-time then i would f**k them and go and get a cert and finish up altogether, that would be a lesson for them that if they had been nice about it at least you'd still be with them part-time! Maybe ring Citizen's Advice.

I'm just so angry with them right now!! I'm completely exhausted and have taken no sick leave at all up to this point in my pregnancy. I was going to take annual leave days to get me through the next couple of weeks but then had a particularly bad day last week with stress levels and though f**k them and got the cert. I think I'll end up taking annual leave days at this point and asking for my cert back. I can't handle full time with the commute as well at this point but then I'm not ready to finish up completely.

Are you off for the weekend Fifi? Get some time-out for yourself and see how you are then. I'd be very annoyed too i have to say, i really think employers should be more considerate of pregnant women especially in the latter stages, it's just a few short weeks in the grand scheme of your working life. I haven't taken a single pregnancy related sick day in 3 pregnancies & i've 2 weeks left now so if i need a day or two i definitely won't be feeling bad and if i'm made to feel bad i'd be furious to be honest.

Oh Fifi - that's very underhand! Can you get social welfare to cover the hours you're not being paid at the sick pay rate? I'm sure I read somewhere about someone doing that. You think they'd just take half days out of your sick leave!

• Advertisement

I just think it's so dodgy! I've been very upfront with them and agreed with my manager that I can work Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for the next 2 weeks, so technically if I called in sick every other day I wouldn't need a sick cert. I really do wonder why I am been so honest and upfront with them if this is what I get in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

fifi that's so annoying you must be so disappointed with them..
    I'd to laugh last week I am a hairdresser and work for myself and one of my clients was trying to work out when she needed her colour done again and how to wrk it around my time off which I'm only taking a few weeks when I told her I was due on the tues she said that's great I'll b able to get my colour done that Saturday. just had to laugh really.. some people just don't think or else they just don't care...
    I'm also so over being preg really enjoyed my last 2 but everything seems so much harder on this one. shouldn't complain really as I no some of ye are going through alot tougher pregnancies.. I feel like I'm going to go before my date tho so here's hoping :)
    on the up side we finally settled on a name that I think we are both happy with. now all that's left is the wait

That's awful Fifi, as ariana said I would get the cert and say screw you to the job for the sake of a couple of weeks!

Missymad, that's terrible, it has amazed me just how little the general public care about pregnant women, I've had so many people jump ahead of me to get on the bus, I've not been in a situation where anyone has had to get up for me yet though!

I no, I'm even shocked at some of the men in the hospital and even women that aren't preg that come in with a friend they quiet happily sit down on the limited chairs while waiting for a scan nd leave heavily preg women standing. my oh who comes to all my appointments is shocked over it.

Have to agree with the above! Im amazed at the number of men taking up seats in waiting rooms, whilst heavily pregnant women stand !
    Is anyone else getting weepy? Ive been in great form for most of the pregnancy, but with four weeks to go, theres a noticable dip in my mood, and more tears in the last 3 days than the past 8 months.

Have to agree with the above! Im amazed at the number of men taking up seats in waiting rooms, whilst heavily pregnant women stand !
    Is anyone else getting weepy? Ive been in great form for most of the pregnancy, but with four weeks to go, theres a noticable dip in my mood, and more tears in the last 3 days than the past 8 months.

Yes, I am more emotional at the moment, quite anxious too.

Got myself in an absolute flap last night. Whenever I get up in the night I drink some water, give the bump a poke and wait for it to poke back, usually takes a few minutes and then I drop off to sleep. It took twelve minutes last night, not a particularly long time but because my hubby is away I completely freaked myself out and was about five minutes away from calling a taxi to the hospital. Then of course baba was wide awake, as was I, for two hours. Hoping tonight I don't wake up at all, that's unlikely though, hopefully I'll just keep the head this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

tfak85 wrote: »
    Yes, I am more emotional at the moment, quite anxious too.

Got myself in an absolute flap last night. Whenever I get up in the night I drink some water, give the bump a poke and wait for it to poke back, usually takes a few minutes and then I drop off to sleep. It took twelve minutes last night, not a particularly long time but because my hubby is away I completely freaked myself out and was about five minutes away from calling a taxi to the hospital. Then of course baba was wide awake, as was I, for two hours. Hoping tonight I don't wake up at all, that's unlikely though, hopefully I'll just keep the head this time.

I definitely found the end of pregnancy the most worrying, trying to keep track of movements etc. not long to go now though!

I would say I'm more anxious too rather than weepy. We've a lot going on and the uncertainty of it all has me fretting. Finding it hard to switch off and sleep etc

is anyone experiencing Bractox hicks? didn't get them before but getting them over the last few hours. I'm assuming that's what they are anyway. it's like very dull labour pains which comes every 10-15 min or so. stops me in my tracks every time but aren't getting stronger either.. hopefully just means I'm getting ready for the new arrival

• Advertisement

Loads of those going on here - for the last few weeks. They can be quite uncomfortable but like you I know it's just baba getting ready!

Advertisement