Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

That is so cute Allirog :) Ooh, the buying stuff is fun! I didn't buy much for my baba before he was born though because I was also a bit superstitious and even though I knew he was a boy I only bought unisex stuff in case the scan was wrong (it happened to a girl I worked with!) I just bought some baby gros and vests and it was fine. I didn't need much else for the first while (oh and loads of bibs and muslin cloths!) Honestly girls, you get so much as presents anyway. Heaps of stuff! I have 6 black bags of baby clothes in the attic that I have to go through and organise by size.

Most of his 0-6 month stuff that I bought is unisex so I could use it again if I have a girl. My anomaly scan is 14th January which will be here before I know it and I'll find out then. If I am having a girl I will be buying some girly stuff because I'll be so excited after buying boys clothes for the last 18 months!

You'll have to start thinking about travel systems and furniture and stuff after Xmas too - It's a really exciting time. I'll want to hear all about your purchases. I have pretty much everything already so won't be doing much shopping (:() - I just need to buy a seat to convert our buggy to a double one. I think I'll treat myself to a new breastfeeding pillow too - my old one is a bit manky. What an exciting life I lead!

Funnily enough, I've found Tesco the best for basics like vests and gros ( and they're other stuff is nice too). It's sized well and washes really well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I haven't bought anything yet either but can't wait to start! I'm not superstitious about these things at all. Buying a babygro or not buying a babygro really isn't going to jinx anything.
    I will be ordering some big items like a cot and travel system once I've had my anatomy scan I reckon.
    I'm not sure when to start looking into bottles, sterilisers etc though....and how do you even decide which brand to choose over another when it's your first baby?
    I won't be buying too many clothes as people keep saying you get so many as presents. I'll definitely hope to have all the gadgets sorted before the birth though.

It is a bit daunting when you're all new to it! You might have to try different brands of bottles when the baby is here anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about what brand to get now - some babies do better on anti-colic bottles or like one teat over another. You may buy a set and need to try other brand anyway once bubs is here. My poor husband got sent on so many Mothercare missions in the first few weeks. Worst was when he had to buy nipple shields and maternity sanitary pads!

I bought a Tommee Tippee steriliser/bottle set (the closer to nature ones) because they're supposed to most closely resemble nipples and because I had a Tommee tippee breast pump and it all fit together. Also it was on sale. :D

I breastfed for 5 months and then we switched to bottles no problem when I'd had enough. He's still using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Woshy wrote: »
    It is a bit daunting when you're all new to it! You might have to try different brands of bottles when the baby is here anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about what brand to get now - some babies do better on anti-colic bottles or like one teat over another. You may buy a set and need to try other brand anyway once bubs is here. My poor husband got sent on so many Mothercare missions in the first few weeks. Worst was when he had to buy nipple shields and maternity sanitary pads!

I bought a Tommee Tippee steriliser/bottle set (the closer to nature ones) because they're supposed to most closely resemble nipples and because I had a Tommee tippee breast pump and it all fit together. Also it was on sale. :D

I breastfed for 5 months and then we switched to bottles no problem when I'd had enough. He's still using them!

Yeah it's definitely a bit daunting having no previous experience of it :)
    I am hoping to breast feed but ideally I would prefer to express it after the first few days and use a bottle for feeds. I've no idea if I should buy or rent a breast pump, whether special bottles are needed or already come with the pump, if a special steriliser is needed to match those particular bottles etc. I would be a shop assistants dream customer! They would talk me into buying everything haha.

If you do plan on pumping all your feeds then you'd probably need a very good breast pump. Medela swing is meant to be the best and they're v expensive. A lot of people rent them. I pumped for the first week of breastfeeding because my baba wouldn't latch. It's a giant pain in the hole because you always have to be one feed ahead of yourself. Especially at night - you have to feed and settle the baby and then stay up and pump. It's very tiring. I had a lactation consultant come out and we got it sorted thankfully. Then my life was much easier.

If you can feed the baby directly yourself or if you don't hate it too much it would be so much easier on you. Pumping is a lot of work - two girls that I know that did it (I think because of latch/supply issues) only lasted 3 weeks. I didn't particularly enjoy breastfeeding and I certainly wouldn't be telling everyone they have to do it or anything (as long as your baby is fed and happy who cares how really?!) but it is easier to be able to feed your baba yourself at the drop if a hat. I'm not really looking forward to doing it again for baba number 2 but I will do it if I can for convenience and for the baba. If it doesn't work out I won't be beating myself up over it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I've thought about breastfeeding and I think it's something I'll try and go from there really. However Id rather bottle feed so whether that's pumped or formula, I'm not too sure yet.

My oh's mam has already got us an avent steriliser and avent bottles but I'll be picking up some Dr Browns as all my sisters kids had colic and the Dr Browns wirked a treat for them. His mum also got us the monitors and she's doing a baby box for us which she has started with nappies and wipes and talcs and all that stuff!!

My sister is giving me her pram which also turns into a stroller and a Moses basket so that's super! She never got to use it because she ended up needing a double because she got pregnant straight away :D

My anomaly scan is feb 5th so after that I'll buy a few bits. I'm not superstitious either but want to get christmas over with. Oh, we're not going to find out either what we're having so it's going to be a surprise :)

It's great you have someone to give you a few bits. None of my friends or family have babies yet (they still don't!) so we bought everything. If I have a girl I'll have loads of boy clothes to pass on to one of ye lot!! I did make a lot of baby momma friends but not sure if any of them will go again soon.

Finding out the sex is my reward for getting through the horrible first part of pregnancy. On my first we weren't going to but I needed a treat to reward me for the awful sickness. Then we had the scan we could see the willy ourselves before she even told us!

Yea I'm blessed tbh that both my sisters have kids and can help me out. This will be the first grandchild on his side though :)

Ah that's a well deserved treat so! :) I'm actually really worried I'll end up seeing for myself the sex at the anomaly scan so I think I'll have to tell the sonographer when I go in that I don't want to know so they can tell me to look away :D

Allirog wrote: »
    Yea I'm blessed tbh that both my sisters have kids and can help me out. This will be the first grandchild on his side though :)

Ah that's a well deserved treat so! :) I'm actually really worried I'll end up seeing for myself the sex at the anomaly scan so I think I'll have to tell the sonographer when I go in that I don't want to know so they can tell me to look away :D

Yeah, if they know you don't want to find out they'll tell you to look away when any bits are on show!

Nice for his family with their first grandchild. Mine is first on both sides so he's spoiled rotten! I'm sure your sisters are really excited too :D

My sisters are really excited and so is my mam. She's in her element knitting away and must be on her third or fourth cardigan by now :D

• Advertisement

My sisters are really excited and so is my mam. She's in her element knitting away and must be on her third or fourth cardigan by now :D

Aww :) babies really do bring so much joy. To people. It's lovely.

My parents were so excited when I said I was having another. We were living with them so they saw the positive test straight away. I was surprised how pleased they were! Two is enough for me though. I think if I got pregnant again it might kill me - seriously!

That's it, there's so much love and happiness around us at the moment we're just very lucky and blessed :)

I'm shattered already and I'm going to a gig in the 3Arena tonight. Not sure how I'll cope with this now :D

Enjoy! Once the music starts it'll get you going :)

I've just been looking at photos of my little man when he was younger. Can't believe how fast he's grown. I'm getting excited now about having another little one arriving soon :)

So tired after last night but it was worth it. Such a great gig!!

Awe woshy Id say it's fab looking back at the pics of him. I saw the pic you posted on FB and he is just a cracker. He's absolutely fab!!

He's a little cutie alright, even if I am extremely biased. He's get craic at the moment. Makes me laugh all day long! I'm very lucky to be able to be at home with him all day. I know some women would crack up but I'm really enjoying it.

After a week or so of very little puking I've been bad again since last night. Lots of getting sick. I'm not sure how to tell if it's a tummy bug (as I know one is going around) or if the hyperemesis is just making it's presence felt again. It's horrible to be puking all the time again after a little break :( I was going to go out to a mother and toddler group this afternoon but I feel like crap and also if it is a bug (which it probably isn't) I don't want to pass it on to the babas.

Oh no!!! I'd like to hope it's neither a bug or the hypermesis :( and I really hope it passes for you soon!!

God I'm so tired it's not even funny. I've no idea how I am going to manage working full time until next May of this is how I'm feeling so early :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

God I'm so tired it's not even funny. I've no idea how I am going to manage working full time until next May of this is how I'm feeling so early :(

The tiredness doesn't usually multiply/get worse consistently as the months go on, it hits with a bang in the first trimester and then usually eases up again into the second. Myself and my friends were all wiped out from 6-12 weeks, with it picking up again from 12/14 weeks on. Usually, not always :) You should get a good few months before the elbows and kicks keep you awake all night and you're tired from that :)

Yeah, the intense tiredness lifts in the second trimester usually. One of things that makes you so tired in the first trimester is the placenta growing. I think it's 18 weeks when it's fully developed and providing all the baba's support

I really hope so! I have an underactive thyroid as well which doesn't help because before getting tired I was always tired anyways, I'm just hoping this will ease even a little bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Actually woshys post reminded me I really want to knit things for the baba, little booties and hats and blankets and everything! Just have to learn how to knit now :P have great intentions but I'll probably just make it a little plaited friendship bracelet or something :P

Up all night crying with a kidney infection, also have thrush and piles! Who wants to shoot me? It's amazing how everyone tells you about the sickness but forgets to mention you may want to cut off your body from the boobs down! Dunno how I'm gonna manage Labour if I'm in this much of a state already!

I actually bought the buggy already, there was a deal we just couldn't turn down so I sent the OH to buy it and I haven't even seen it yet! Mad to go playing with it but might leave it a few weeks! My Granny told me yesterday she bought the bump a Christmas present and I was kinda shocked but then she told me it's actually an extra one for me :) must get her to drop some hints to the OH aswel :P

Feeling flutters today but I'm taking it for granted that it's just trapped wind or something, I presume when it's a baby movement you'll know?

• Advertisement

The flutters can be hard to tell because it does feel like gas but you'll def know a kick when you get one.

Sorry to hear you're not well. I hope it clears quickly!

I knit a cardigan for my first baby and it's still unfinished! I knit all the components but need someone to show me how to sew it together. I can't figure it out myself

Oh god Boo I hope you start to feel better soon!!

I have a spot on the side of my face and under my ear and it is sooooo sore. I really hope the spots start to clear soon though because my chin is destroyed in them and they're not even little ones they are proper big massive boils that absolutely ache!!!!

Woshy I couldn't knit to save my life but my mam is amazing so she's in her element and has a few cardi's done for me already. The most beautiful little lemon and white cardigans. They're so tiny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Hope you're feeling ok Boo!

We had our date confirmation scan today and I'm FINALLY 13 weeks! So excited, also went and did a round of family members so all our immediate family know now, wonderful excitement all round!

Yeah, I'm not going to research anything for a good while, if we buy a car seat/travel system/sling before this lentil arrives that will be about it, apart from some neutral gros and vests etc. Not going to find out the sex, will have to be very careful when going for scans because I'm so well used to looking at them! What I will be researching is a nappy system, I'd be keen to do cloth nappies, I'm thinking one of the systems that has the plastic outer layer and the cloth wrapped pad inside, what system do you use Woshy?

My skin is still in **** too Allirog, driving me spare at this stage!

How was your trip tfak?

Glad you got sorted with your dates and telling people. Their reaction is so lovely isn't it? I couldn't believe how much love and happiness people could have for us :)

I was convinced that the second trimester began at 14 weeks but it's 13 weeks am I right? Anyways either way I am 14 weeks today. Woohoo :D

Tfak I can't handle this mess on my skin much longer. I look like a pepperoni pizza!!! Aarrgghh

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fifi_123

Morning ladies! Thankfully as I approach 14 weeks my skin is starting to clear up. Although now that I've said that I'll probably get a whopper of a spot for the weekend!

Is anyone starting to show yet? I've been very bloated the last few days and a bit clogged up if you know what I mean. I can't decide if I'm starting to show or if it's just a badly bloated belly. Either way the pants are definitely getting tighter!

I've had a little bump for the last few weeks but it is my second so you show earlier then! On my first I was about 17 weeks on my first when I first got a little bump that other people could see. We took a lot of photos so I can look back and see!

My hyperemesis is properly back. Nothing staying down since Monday evening. Life can be so cruel sometimes :( I'm 16 weeks tomorrow. I thought it was over - I'm debating whether or not to go back into the hospital. I can't face another stay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

Hearing all you ladies being in the 2nd tri is helping me! The tiredness is still full whack with me - 12w and 4d today...

do/did any of u guys have to go for a 2nd scan, around 16 wks? I had my scan two wks ago - which my gp said made me 12wks but I said I was 9 days behind that - hosp agreed with my date but asked me to go back after 4 wks to "verify" dates.... in the back of my mind im wondering was ter something else on the scan that they're not telling me but want to check up on in a couple of weeks????

Hearing all you ladies being in the 2nd tri is helping me! The tiredness is still full whack with me - 12w and 4d today...

do/did any of u guys have to go for a 2nd scan, around 16 wks? I had my scan two wks ago - which my gp said made me 12wks but I said I was 9 days behind that - hosp agreed with my date but asked me to go back after 4 wks to "verify" dates.... in the back of my mind im wondering was ter something else on the scan that they're not telling me but want to check up on in a couple of weeks????

The hospital I go to don't do dating scans so I've no experience with that but I doubt they think there's anything wrong. If you had the scan at 10 weeks there's not a huge amount to see except heartbeat etc. They probably just want to check your dates again because 12 days is a good bit to be out by. Maybe you'll be lucky and you will be 12 days ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Blueberry I'm the same. My dates didn't add up at the booking scan. The scan suggested I was 8 weeks 4 days but I was sure I was 10, and my lmp had me at 13 weeks, which I was definitely not. I'm back out for a rescan the second week of January and they will set my due date then. I can't wait to see the baby again though and by my calculations I'll be around 16 weeks, well hoping I am :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The trip was amazing Allirog, we ate all the food in NYC and it was glorious! Having only flown in yesterday morning though I was decidedly tired getting up for work before 6am today!

I had a scan at 10w5d and went back for them to confirm the date yesterday, set the dates two days ahead of what I had thought. I'm sure if there was any real concern they would tell you, I'd say it's just to confirm the dates.

I'm not showing yet, I have the tiniest hint of a bumpy-thing but I have a bit of a lordosis anyway so I don't look wildly different! Have still only told two of my work colleagues, I'll be holding off on it for as long as possible!

Advertisement