Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loom Bands - potential cancer risk

Options
  • 24-09-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just read that loom bands may contain high levels of a cancer causing chemical.

I may be paranoid about it but given the fact that one of my children had cancer it is understandable. What angers me is that while UK's "major toys retailer" removes Loom Bands from their stock - Irish "major toys retailer" rids of them as well but in a way of pushing more of these to the customers by putting them on 50% SALE SALE SALE).

What do you make out of it?
    I got rid of them all just in case. The articles I read mention CE logo and so on but does not mention list of brands that are safe and dangerous.

Sorry for being a bit chaotic but I am severely pissed off by this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

A dog recently had to have its tail removed as the band cut of its blood supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

BAN EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Do you have a link to the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

In fairness, doesn't all plastic contain chemicals that can cause cancer as does cling film, lunchboxes, plastic bottles....

It is probably carcinogenic only if large amounts are ingested.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

In fairness, doesn't all plastic contain chemicals that can cause cancer as does cling film, lunchboxes, plastic bottles....

It is probably carcinogenic only if large amounts are ingested.

I have never touched a loom band so I'm not worried, and I'm not particularly worried about chemicals.

But if someone is going to open a discussion about a popular toy being harmful, on a parenting website, then its only fair that they get asked for links to the articles that they are discussing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

All I've found apart from Daily mail style publications, and facebook 'warnings' is this snopes article on it.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/loombands.asp

Tldr; some brands of them have higher levels of pfthalates than are permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Neyite wrote: »
    I have never touched a loom band so I'm not worried, and I'm not particularly worried about chemicals.

But if someone is going to open a discussion about a popular toy being harmful, on a parenting website, then its only fair that they get asked for links to the articles that they are discussing.

I wasn't questioning you request for a link. I just accidentally pressed reply as yours was the last post. Apologies if I offended you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is the same as everything , if you buy the official Rainbow Loom bands there is no worry but if you buy them elsewhere who knows what is in them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't know anything about them being dangerous but I'm kind of against them from an environmental point of view, it's not as if we need more little bits of non-degradable plastic floating around.
    What's wrong with friendship bracelets made from cotton thread?

Advertisement