Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection - At what amount of money owed is it not worth pursuing a debt?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I have personal experience of getting 40% wiped off a bill at debt collector stage for a family member who's not great with money. The proviso to agreeing to the 40% off and not paying the whole bill was that she could never take out a contract with that company again. 3 months after that she signed up to an offer with them with no questions asked by company. That was last year. Company was vodafone.

I know somebody who got a similar treatment. Theyed wanted to remove there landline for 6 months during renovations. Vodafone reps agreed, but then didn't disconnect the line for months and then started demanding arrears and a Disconnection fee before passing it on to a debt collector. The lack of coordination and communication is staggering in these companies an I can imagine many people have fend off these debt collectors over stupid stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

thehouses wrote: »
    Yes. In an identical situation in the E.U. there was a cap brought in to prevent "bill shock." Bill shock is a predatory business practise which broadband suppliers use to get as much as they can out of a consumer without putting any real protection in place. Check out http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/14/mobile-phone-bill-shock-debt and http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/bill-shock-as-using-mobile-in-us-adds-up-to-7500-30242235.html

But that's all just background info that, in fairness, is completely irrelevant here.

The phone company have acted in line with the contract that you signed up to. You've refused to pay, cancelled your direct debit and moved house, so I presume you're not even engaging with them, even though the contract is still ongoing and presumably your debt is increasing.

If this does end up in court, it will be a short case.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

But that's all just background info that, in fairness, is completely irrelevant here.

The phone company have acted in line with the contract that you signed up to. You've refused to pay, cancelled your direct debit and moved house, so I presume you're not even engaging with them, even though the contract is still ongoing and presumably your debt is increasing.

Not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Not true.

Which bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Pay your debt, in future make sure you are aware of what you are signing up to when you sign a contract with a mobile company, and make sure you monitor your usage to make sure you don't end up incurring extra charges as per the contract you signed. Take responsibility for your actions.

I hope they collect the debt you owe them as per the contract you signed.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pay your debt, in future make sure you are aware of what you are signing up to when you sign a contract with a mobile company, and make sure you monitor your usage to make sure you don't end up incurring extra charges as per the contract you signed. Take responsibility for your actions.

I hope they collect the debt you owe them as per the contract you signed.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?:rolleyes:

The E.U. had to bring in legislation on data roaming to prevent the exact same issue so I disagree with the above post. It is very easy for companies to put the customer first, but they choose not to unless forced to by legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The E.U. had to bring in legislation on data roaming to prevent the exact same issue so I disagree with the above post. It is very easy for companies to put the customer first, but they choose not to unless forced to by legislation.

Would you ever stop referring to the date ROAMING charges (important word highlighted). The phone company does not need to cap the data you use. You are responsible for the data you use. You signed up to a contract and agreed to the charges. You then ran up a bill and decided to find a "justification" for not paying your bill. You cancelled your direct debit and I would bet my right nut that you kept using the phone until they cut you off. I bet you are still using the network, but as a PAYG customer. Have you maybe considered ethically paying for the rest of the contract you agreed to, while disputing the charges that you initially described as a scam? Shameful behaviour.

I hope they pursue you. You haven't a leg to stand on. And for 900e I bet they will. I don't know of any operators who let more than 300e go.

goz83 wrote: »
    Would you ever stop referring to the date ROAMING charges (important word highlighted). The phone company does not need to cap the data you use. You are responsible for the data you use. You signed up to a contract and agreed to the charges. You then ran up a bill and decided to find a "justification" for not paying your bill. You cancelled your direct debit and I would bet my right nut that you kept using the phone until they cut you off. I bet you are still using the network, but as a PAYG customer. Have you maybe considered ethically paying for the rest of the contract you agreed to, while disputing the charges that you initially described as a scam? Shameful behaviour.

I hope they pursue you. You haven't a leg to stand on. And for 900e I bet they will. I don't know of any operators who let more than 300e go.

Awesome post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Awesome post.

:confused:

Didn't expect that reply.

Also, you mentioned easily getting another contract with them. I forgot to mention that getting another contract with them usually means photo ID in the form of a passport or drivers license, which has your date of birth, which they use, with your name, to make sure you haven't screwed them over before. Using a different address and bank account will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@thehouses Please post constructively, even when it's your own thread. Smart Alec answers to other poster do not encourage helpful advice.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Also, as has been stated, you keep referring to roaming. You do know what data roaming is, right? Because it has nothing to do with data used while at home in Ireland. Your analogy has no validity.

There were a number of inaccuracies in the post and that is why I wrote that! My analogy stands up strongly but I realise many will agree with me and many won't agree with me.

Data roaming resulted in unlimited bills which can easily add up to €1000 in one week. This practise was banned to protect the consumer.

Mobile broadband results in unlimited bills which can easily add up to €1000 in one week.

How does that analogy fall down?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

They refuse to co-operate and insist that the money is owed.

The phone company will refuse to cooperate, but the debt collection agency won't. Tell them you will give them so much a month and see what they say. It could take a year but once they get the money they are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Why did you use data roaming if you don't agree with the providers billing policies?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Why did you use data roaming if you don't agree with the providers billing policies?

I will try and not do business with a company if I don't like their policies but I am not sure what you mean exactly in your post?

You used a service provider thus agreeing to their terms and conditions. You used a service provided by them. You now refuse to pay for the service. It's akin to me walking into a restaurant, eating my food and then complaining about the price and not paying for the food.

You used the service, why do you think it's ok not to pay? Why did you use the service in the first place?

You used a service provider thus agreeing to their terms and conditions. You used a service provided by them. You now refuse to pay for the service. It's akin to me walking into a restaurant, eating my food and then complaining about the price and not paying for the food.

You used the service, why do you think it's ok not to pay? Why did you use the service in the first place?

Oh wait I didn't use data roaming.

What is the bill for that you won't pay?

Either way, you used a service and now won't pay for it. My analogy stands.

What is the bill for that you won't pay?

Either way, you used a service and now won't pay for it. My analogy stands.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you just ignore any post that you can't argue against?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not sure that there is anything new to be said in this thread.

OP, if you want it reopened, please let me know.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement