Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering the birth and chill benefit

Options
  • 24-09-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping the more experienced parents here will be able to help with this one.
    My baby was born on Sept 15th in the Coombe. They send the paperwork to the register to say baby x born. We then go in with ID and register her name, etc.
    that's all grand.
    My query is this, the Coombe allow themselves up to 6 weeks after the birth to notify the registers office. We can't register for child benefit/ children's allowance until the birth is registered.
    So this means that potentially it could be November or December before the allowance is paid to the baby despite the fact that she was born in September, is this correct?
    It seems a little unfair if so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

You won't get any benefit for the month of September, but you will get back pay from Oct onwards.
    My son was born Aug 15 2012 and I didn't formally register him until November(birth registry office) so got 3 months back pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They usually have the paperwork within two weeks. Your benefit is backdated so you will get a month or two together. It's unfair but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rose35 wrote: »
    You won't get any benefit for the month of September, but you will get back pay from Oct onwards.
    My son was born Aug 15 2012 and I didn't formally register him until November(birth registry office) so got 3 months back pay.
    January wrote: »
    They usually have the paperwork within two weeks. Your benefit is backdated so you will get a month or two together. It's unfair but that's the way it is.

That's fine so. Thanks for the quick replies. I knew (for some odd reason) that we'd missed out on September and was fine with that but I did think it would be a bit rich if it ended up possibly being November or December before anything started at all. Having a payment backdates is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I think so. My baby was born last October but I only got the child benefit in January Got it back paid though. You don't get it for the month the child is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

We registered our baby on 13th of Aug, two weeks after he was born, two weeks later the form for Child benefit arrived, filled it out, returned it and we've been waiting since. They're very slow, aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

j@utis wrote: »
    We registered our baby on 13th of Aug, two weeks after he was born, two weeks later the form for Child benefit arrived, filled it out, returned it and we've been waiting since. They're very slow, aren't they?

I used the pin number to complete the form online and had a letter with details of the upcoming lodgement within a couple of days. So certainly the electronic route is very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I used the pin number to complete the form online and had a letter with details of the upcoming lodgement within a couple of days. So certainly the electronic route is very efficient.

Do you mind me asking what setup you used to complete the form online? As in, were you on Windows or Mac and what browser you were using?

I only ask because I've tried numerous browsers on a Mac and I keep getting a system error when I try to save the updated PDF file on the site, I've gone back to it numerous days and keep getting the same error. I was thinking it would be alot quicker to do it online but I haven't managed to complete the form yet! I could get a loan of a Windows machine if I thought it would work.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Same here, I tried online too but it kept showing me error message something like "complete the fields in red" but there were no fields in red on the form and it just wouldn't save for me, so I went to old fashioned paper route. I might try again using different browser, google chrome didn't work last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The money should be there in Octobers payment, I've often got the letter after the payment went through. I certainly did this time around, money was there and letter arrived the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

sonners wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what setup you used to complete the form online? As in, were you on Windows or Mac and what browser you were using?

I only ask because I've tried numerous browsers on a Mac and I keep getting a system error when I try to save the updated PDF file on the site, I've gone back to it numerous days and keep getting the same error. I was thinking it would be alot quicker to do it online but I haven't managed to complete the form yet! I could get a loan of a Windows machine if I thought it would work.

Cheers.

Doesn't work in mac, don't get me started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I think you have to save welfare.ie as a trusted domain or something to submit the pdf file. I missed the instructions, but my husband noticed them when filling in the online form...could be the problem there. It's not particularly clear, particularly for sleep deprived new parents!!

I also received a payment notification after I'd received the money.
    I registered Sean 1 week after he was born too. Just ring the registry office before you go in to see if it's there. I ended up ringing the Dublin one as I couldn't get through to Wicklow. They were happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Sean was born in the Coombe too. They had his details when we rang a week later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

sonners wrote: »

Cheers.

A Windows PC and Internet Explorer. The instructions specifically say you must use IE. I missed that initially and tried using Chrome. They would probably make the warning a bit clearer alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    A Windows PC and Internet Explorer. The instructions specifically say you must use IE. I missed that initially and tried using Chrome. They would probably make the warning a bit clearer alright.....

Thanks for that Ocean Blue. I went through all the instructions and it gave a few options for Mac, supposedly it will work on Firefox on Mac but no joy :( wish they would just be honest and say Windows/IE ONLY instead of leading people down the garden path!

Advertisement