Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's warranty issue

Options
  • 24-09-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I bought an AOC monitor from Curry's on 09/10/2013 and on 8/9/14 while I was moving my things around on my computer desk I noticed the thin bezel that surrounds the screen had warped and started separating from the screen.

This monitor has been on my desk since new,so I checked my Curry's receipt and noticed its still under Warranty until 09/10/2014.I then called the number on my receipt and get put through to the Uk,where I am informed to bring it into a local chain so I promptly bring it to the Carlow chain on 11/9/14.

They examine the monitor in store and agree on the defect and inform me that they will send it off for repair to the manufacturer and that it will take up to 21 days to complete but shouldn't take the full 21 days.So I sign the service docket and let them have my monitor for repair.

After two weeks of no updates I call the number on my service docket and get put through to the Uk again,he takes my details but can't find details on the system.I ask for the number to Curry' and am told he cant give it to me but can call on my behalf to which I found odd but agreed.

He informed me that they still had my monitor at the store,that AOC asked for pictures of the damage and that they sent the pictures to AOC the 22nd(12 days later).

It really feels that Im getting a run around on this,what can I do? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

You could call down to the store and complain in person. That usually gets a better reaction than a phonecall or email. But as they have sent the pics to the manufacturer already it might not achieve much. but it might make you feel better. They still have over a week left so probably best to wait until the 21 days are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Phoenix1608

Got hold of the Carlow branch's number but was informed manager was out and that she would call me with an update when she was in.What worries me most is what happens after the 21 day period passes and the fact it will be out of warranty 10th of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Got hold of the Carlow branch's number but was informed manager was out and that she would call me with an update when she was in.What worries me most is what happens after the 21 day period passes and the fact it will be out of warranty 10th of next month.
    Don't worry about the warranty, your claim was made within the 12 months so the claim remains valid even if the warranty expires in the meantime.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't worry about the warranty, your claim was made within the 12 months so the claim remains valid even if the warranty expires in the meantime.

Ah that's a relief and a weight of my mind.If 21 days should pass and I have not got it back what should I do?

Ah that's a relief and a weight of my mind.If 21 days should pass and I have not got it back what should I do?
    Well you have statutory rights which supersede any warranty. Under those rights you are entitled to redress in the form of a repair or replacement, or eventually a refund. This redress must be provided by the retailer within a reasonable timescale without undue inconvenience to you. On that basis you could argue that a delay of over 21 days is unreasonable and that you cannot wait any longer for a repair, and request they provide you with a replacement monitor of equivalent spec and value. If you still get nowhere then you could take the retailer them to the Small Claims Court, but we're not anywhere near that stage yet.

Bear in mind that when a business says 21 days it usually means 21 working days i.e. 4 weeks, not 3.

A summary of your statutory rights are in a sticky thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291266

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the sound advice,lets hope it doesn't come to that.I will update when I know more :)

Hello again

So when I called Curry's Carlow as I stated in a previous post,I was promised a call back as mentioned.One week later and still no call back so being day 20 I called again and a girl took my number to have me called back again(that was 6 hours ago).No call back again it looks like.

So I tried calling the 1890 number listed on the service docket again and was on hold more than 20 minutes,both times I tried.

Three weeks and I am still without monitor or any inclination of repair,for all I know its still at the store :(

Doing my best to be patient,an update would be nice.With that said they did have it for two weeks and hadn't even had it shipped for repair,this is week three and I have the feeling is most likely still at their store.

I have been polite and mannerly with them so I am confused as to why they are avoiding me.

I'd give them another day or two, they're likely relying on someone else to get back to them.
    In the meantime I'd start preparing a written complaint to the branch manager.
    Outline the history and the commitments made by Currys, mention how dissatisfied you are that they have failed to meet those commitments and with their handling of the issue. At this stage any further delay is unreasonable and is causing significant inconvenience and you require immediate resolution with 5 working days.

I wouldn't get hung up on them having it for 2 weeks and not shipping it. I think with low cost consumer items it's normal to not repair and instead simply get approval from the manufacturer to issue a replacement (hence the request for photos).

PS, does the service docket state any timescale or completion date?

Hello again

Well good news,I contacted their head office and spoke with a friendly chap there,he told me not to worry and asked me all the details.He contacted the store while having me on hold and when he got back to me I was informed that I would get a call from the store in five minutes.

Sure enough I got a call and was told that I could pick out a new monitor.I went into the store today and the one I chose wasn't in stock but they ordered it in for me.

p.s no the return date on the docket was blank

Advertisement