Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Equivalent of UK Acts?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Researching for an essay, looking to see if there's an equivalent of these UK Acts in Irish law:

Sexual Offences Act 2003
    Police and Justice Act 2006
    Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008

Anyone any clue??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Welcome to first year - Do your own home work.

The UK is three jurisdictions, you're looking at England and Wales I presume. Legislation will be found on Westlaw UK or through the government website.

Irish Legislation will be found on Westlaw.ie or through the Irish statute book.

This forum is a great resource, don't abuse it by getting people to do your work for you. Put even the most cursory effort into starting a discussion and you'll reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rcsicy

Thanks, but unfortunately not a student, let alone a law student. Read through legislation.gov.uk and irishstatutebook.ie among many many others, most definitely did not start here on the forum.

Just thought it might be something those better versed in law might easily know. If not, no problem, not asking anyone to go and research for me.

Thanks for the extra link (Westlaw) will check it out also.

rcsicy wrote: »
    Thanks, but unfortunately not a student, let alone a law student. Read through legislation.gov.uk and irishstatutebook.ie among many many others, most definitely did not start here on the forum.

Just thought it might be something those better versed in law might easily know. If not, no problem, not asking anyone to go and research for me.

Thanks for the extra link (Westlaw) will check it out also.

Westlaw is a pay site I'm afraid. Perhaps you could put your question in context, without breaching the forum charter of course.

I'm on a JobBridge scheme, and was asked to find Irish equivalents for some writing.

Read the forum charter, don't see anything that I've said which breaches it.

Even finding out that there's not a unified UK law - England/Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are the jurisdictions? - is useful. Like I said, this is not my area, was reading online, but a bit lost, and thought to ask in a forum of experts.

I'm on a JobBridge scheme, and was asked to find Irish equivalents for some writing.

I hear ya - tis the season is all - my apologies.
    Read the forum charter, don't see anything that I've said which breaches it.

Depending on the nature of your query it could have, e.g. if you said you were an international criminal on the run from the UK ;)
    Even finding out that there's not a unified UK law - England/Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are the jurisdictions? - is useful. Like I said, this is not my area, was reading online, but a bit lost, and thought to ask in a forum of experts.

Well sometimes there is sometimes not. Take Sexual Offences Act 2003 note the section specifically for Scotland. There is no such equivalent Act in Ireland. Our sexual offences legislation is a bit of a mess and probably does need legislation codifying it in one place. An example would be the Criminal Law (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001.

The other two Acts I act really say. The Police and Justice Act doesn't look like something we'd enact as it contains provision about pensions as well as legislation to deal with Antisocial behaviour. Our legislation tends to be more general.

Immigration - couldn't tell you; not an area I'm familiar with. Compare it with subsequent Irish Acts. We're not above lifting legislation off the Brits.

Please treat the above with some caution and do your own research. I'm very possibly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sometimes there is a fairly straightforward one-to-one correspondence between British Acts and Irish Acts - e.g. in the UK the European Communities Act 1972 deals with the application of EU law as part of the domestic law of the UK, and in Ireland the European Communities Act 1972 deals with the application of EU law as part of Irish law. Note that, even where there is this one-to-one correspondence between UK and Irish statutes, the contents and effect of the two statutes may be very different.

But, more usually, there isn't even this one-to-one correspondence. The British may have consolidated and restated all their laws relating to some topic in one statute, and the Irish not; or the other way around. There isn't any easy way, if you have no familiarity with a particular area of law, to know where it is addressed in the Irish and UK statute books. The only way to find out if there is, e.g. an Irish equivalent to the UK Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 is to read the Act, and then search the Irish statute book for provisions deling with the same topics, and look to see if they are neatly contained in an Act which appears to cover much the same ground as the UK Act.

Thanks for the answers, I'm back to the interwebs for more reading!

Advertisement