Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else sick to death of charities?

• 24-09-2014 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

No make up selfie donations, ice buck challenges, text donation begging from various organisation, chuggers on the street and knocking on doors, Movember is just around the corner and when there's not ads on TV telling me to adopt a tiger or an African baby or something, there's now constant ads on TV for blueseptember.ie

I get that they're raising money and awareness but enough is enough ffs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

And yet you creating a thread about all of this is "raising more awareness". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

People like Angela Kerins dressed in mink and diamonds come to mind everytime I see a charity collector now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I'm sick of them too op, but some little bit of goodness trickles down to where donations are intended to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yeah, f#ck the poor... go team..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Fcuking cúnts collecting bank details on the streets - never donating a cent to those, though cancer research charities are the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Complain about a Charity Challenge - Smear and defame a charity in a 10 second clip and nominate one other person to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Stupid less fortunate people, cant they let me enjoy my roast beetroot with goats cheese and walnuts and a simple glass of Bordeaux in peace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ya, dam it. Sick children and people less well off than me. How dare anyone try to help them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Make it compulsory to publish full accounts, including salaries of staff, commission rates etc.

The good ones will surely welcome that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You're an online game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

The touts on the street are the worst. Had a ****ty day once and was being heckled by one of them, just took the opportunity to blow off some steam. Good for nothing thieving bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

smash wrote: »
    No make up selfie donations, ice buck challenges, text donation begging from various organisation, chuggers on the street and knocking on doors, Movember is just around the corner and when there's not ads on TV telling me to adopt a tiger or an African baby or something, there's now constant ads on TV for blueseptember.ie

You'd look shyte with a moustache...... I agree......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just had the Dogs Trust at the door looking for membership .

Pity the chap , he was barking up the wrong tree with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

A chugger asked me last month how many points I got in my leaving cert ? Is that necessary to help people dying of Ebola ?

Shoulda told him about your dog fighting ring. He'd have loved that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Sick of the hoors, I've mugged the previous few who have called to my door looking for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Adopt a panda guys!

For just €2 a day I can have a double cheeseburger from the euro saver menu. Donate today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Charities are a multi billion worldwide industry. And a complete con job from top to bottom. Thats all I have to say on it.

Support your local one. At least you have a first hand knowledge of where the donations are going.
    Because where you think its going, is not really where its going.

Adopt a panda guys!

For just €2 a day I can have a double cheeseburger from the euro saver menu. Donate today!

Screw the pandas. It's their own bloody fault if they choose not to procreate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The slicker the charity drive ,the less the real cause receives of the money donated , I would exclude the ice bucket challenge , I feel the motor neurone disease charity just happened to hit on a good marketing ploy , the other high CEO salary charities have brainstorming sessions in five - star hotels to come up with ideas like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Chucken wrote: »
    Ya, dam it. Sick children and people less well off than me. How dare anyone try to help them :rolleyes:

I geberally support charitable organisations that are accountable but I feel very very uneasy about the whole "Sponsor my Jimbob for x,y,z operation"

What about parents who don't have the resources, energy or time to organise all this fundraising? where do they get support? Is there a sense then that the ones who dont have these resources are undeserving? All the publicity and focus is on fundraising for little Jimbob but what about discussions and actions about ensuring everyone having the right to support and a quality of life and not having to beg and 'sell' your story for it?

In my view we need to have a rights based state funded healthcare system and this recent Irish phenomenen of charity for kids is a huge backward step in that direction.

Also I'm sorry but if we are sponsoring Jimbobs operation there could be a huge lack of accountability and ttansparency from Jimbobs parents.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What about parents who don't have the resources, energy or time to organise all this fundraising? where do they get support? Is there a sense then that the ones who dont have these resources are undeserving? All the publicity and focus is on fundraising for little Johnny but what about discussions and actions about ensuring everyone having the right to support and a quality of life and not having to beg and 'sell' your story for it?

This really gets to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This really gets to me!

How?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Sponsorship. What the **** is that all about?

Neighbour fancies a trip to China and he also enjoys a bit of cycling. Return flights for him and his bike and a month there will set him back about 2 grand.

Solution: He's going to cycle the Great Wall of China for Temple St. Children's hospital. His target is €5,000. Hospital get 3,000 and he gets the holiday of a lifetime and the admiration of lots of people.

Why am I seen as the bad guy when I suggest that he doesn't go at all and he gives the lot to the charity?
    "Oh I can't do that I'd be letting everyone down. They've sponsored me to do it"

please note that the above scenario is entirely hypothetical yet based on a true story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A chugger told me (in no uncertain terms) that if I didn't sign up, that he could personally guarantee me that 3 kids would be dead on my watch by the time I got back to work. He said the rest of his team were on the ground in X country, and he was in regular contact. Again he repeated 3 kids would die.

I won't name the charity, but I never knew they employed such violent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

No problem with charities at all, just wish they wouldn't stand in awkward places like exits of supermarkets or shopping centres because I just feel bad if I've nothing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

The chuggers and people who call to your door are often not from the charity, they are hired by a private company, like Total Fundraising who will "fundraise" on the charities behalf for an agreed price. With data protection and identity theft I would never give my details to anyone.

I would be very careful dealing with charities that don't/won't reveal CEO salary, staff salaries, expenditures etc

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/shedding-light-on-the-pay-of-charity-chiefs-168676.html

The charities that are in the public eye are paying big money on PR and advertising. Should they be spending thousands on advertising ?

I always look at what does a charity actually do ? that probably sounds really thick. But what does the Irish Heart Foundation (for example) actually do for Irish people ? what services are they providing. You may know the name and the association to a disease or cause, but looking at how they actually help will reveal a lot about the ethos of a charity- is it more a business than a charity.

There are many people who rely on charities to help them, and there are some good ones, but after spending several years volunteering, my eyes were opened to what really goes on in some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How?

I meant as in, it pisses me off. For the reasons you mentioned.

Reiver wrote: »
    The touts on the street are the worst. Had a ****ty day once and was being heckled by one of them, just took the opportunity to blow off some steam. Good for nothing thieving bastards.

Your mis-directing your anger.

Most of the chuggers as far as I can see are students (Irish and international) trying to make a buck and probably trying to pay for college. Nothing wrong with that.

It is the devious people who are not out on the street are the problem.

They are in some cosy office somewhere coming up with new ways to scr@w the government and the Irish public.

We badly need an totally independent auditor of charities with full executive power audit, publicly reprimand and ultimately close charities. Only then with some public confidence come back to the sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I gave money to some charity for blind kids in Africa and one of those scratch card deals for something else. The blind kids charity mysteriously went out of business shortly after and it turns out the people selling the scratch cards were getting a large commission on the cards.

These days, I only donate after I've looked into the charity or if it's for a friend who is trying to something and I know they are a decent sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

Most if not all of the big name charities are headed by a CEO and his co-horts being paid 6 figure sums of money as a salary. Charities have become big business and I do not see why I should contribute to those 6 figure salaries and pension pots. Yes I would love to give to a good cause but without my donation being skimmed by 95%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

jetsonx wrote: »
    People like Angela Kerins dressed in mink and diamonds come to mind everytime I see a charity collector now.

Is that the one who flies around on private jets, was dining on a private yacht off the south of France after a Leinster game, yet just a few days later was too 'ill' to appear before the PAC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Choochtown wrote: »

Neighbour fancies a trip to China and he also enjoys a bit of cycling. Return flights for him and his bike and a month there will set him back about 2 grand.

Solution: He's going to cycle the Great Wall of China for Temple St. Children's hospital. His target is €5,000. Hospital get 3,000 and he gets the holiday of a lifetime and the admiration of lots of people.

Why am I seen as the bad guy when I suggest that he doesn't go at all and he gives the lot to the charity?
    "Oh I can't do that I'd be letting everyone down. They've sponsored me to do it"

please note that the above scenario is entirely hypothetical yet based on a true story

This actually drives me nuts.!

sponsor such and such sky dive for awareness of such and such charity.

Awareness my ass.

Can't they just raise money without doing anything? o0, or something free. Like walk x distance, shave hair off etc.
    What bothers me more, is people who sponsor them, don't see through that it's just getting a free experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

I have absolutely no problem with giving to charity as I do a bit myself. I never approach or ask people for money and it seems to work ok. If people want to donate they will either way. Ive noticed now they are outside churches at mass times, which I think is a bit sneaky. They get you on the way in, the church get you twice or three times in there, and hey they're still there when you come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I donate to my own charities every year and all of my own accord.

Do not fuccking hassle me into doing so by trying to stop me walking down the road.

Today was another classic example.

Whilst walking into tescos this evening, I noticed they had a particular well know charity standing at the entrance. I was asked did I have a moment to spare.

I was in a rush and also only had card so I informed the girl that I would see her on the way out. Well! She rolled her eyes straight up to heaven.

Im sorry but fuuck right off. Any chance you had of me donating, rolled out the door when you portrayed your poxy attitude.

The cheek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

They are all great causes

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Is that the one who flies around on private jets, was dining on a private yacht off the south of France after a Leinster game, yet just a few days later was too 'ill' to appear before the PAC?

That's Angela alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Choochtown wrote: »

That's the one that gets me. Unbelievably selfish. Pay for your own holiday and don't try and bully people into covering your flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

Beaner1 wrote: »
    That's the one that gets me. Unbelievably selfish. Pay for your own holiday and don't try and bully people into covering your flights.

Well said. I do a charity cycle every year and the only thing that costs money are the hotels. What I do is I pay for the cost of the hotel myself and let people know they're not paying for me to have a weekend away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

i had two people call to my door a couple of weeks apart, cant remember if they were from the same charity,
    Howsever, They were giving me the speal about saving the children in africa or some such and Im normally polite in saying no thanks,the first chap gave the usual "ah would ya not, its only 2 euro a month" so I kept saying no thanks, then he looked out at my car, "oh thats a nice car,that must have cost a few pound" drink petrol" yea it does says I. then went back to asking for money,

He went away empty handed, so I taught no more about it.

Then the second charity came a knockin a week or so later, a woman this time.
    the exact same thing happened about them pointing out the car and how nice it was,(its not that nice) then it dawned on me it was a guilt trip tactic.

This has really put me off being nice to any of them anymore, they get told to head off fairly lively these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

No problem with charities at all, just wish they wouldn't stand in awkward places like exits of supermarkets or shopping centres because I just feel bad if I've nothing on me.

My older sister used to work signing people up for "lines" for charity -remember them? Her commission each week was more than my Dad earned in his full time job. It cured me of donating to charity. Fcuk all gets to the people who really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I was getting calls from chuggers to the door every week and it wrecked my head.

They dont knock anymore ever since I put up a "NO SOLICITING" sign :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Make it compulsory to publish full accounts, including salaries of staff, commission rates etc.

The good ones will surely welcome that.
    THe supposed good ones have the most to hide! they are the ones who spend most of the money on their own costs in their huge corporations. most charities are simply collecting money to pay their own wages!
    kupus wrote: »
    Charities are a multi billion worldwide industry. And a complete con job from top to bottom. Thats all I have to say on it.

Support your local one. At least you have a first hand knowledge of where the donations are going.
    Because where you think its going, is not really where its going.
    +1

Support charities like the StVDeP and local home care teams who look after people in your local area who are most in need. they will send a small amount of the money donated to the central funds but most is used locally and most of the work collecting and admin is done by volunteers!

Advertisement