Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Lucan to City Center Mon-Fri rush hour

Options
  • 24-09-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Looking for some advice. Considering buying a property in Lucan but wary of the commute to my job off Harcourt St in town Monday to Friday 9-5.30. Does anyone else do similar and if so how long are you looking at sitting on a bus? I have heard there is considerable traffic getting through the village and that before hitting roads with bus lanes. We also have a newborn baby so would need to be dropping them off at a creche and getting back from town to pick them up around half 6 (can probably leave work at 5 to help in this respect).

Any advice appreciated, can take sitting on a bus for 40 odd minutes each way anyway if thats the most we would have to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have heard there is considerable traffic getting through the village

The vast majority of houses in Lucan are south of the N4 so nowhere near the (terrible traffic in) the village :)

Many of the estates in south Lucan are serviced by the 25A and 25B routes bringing you to Stephens Green, leaving you a 5min walk or so to Harcourt St depending on where exactly you need to go. The bus would take a bit more than 40 minutes though, depending on where you live in Lucan

That said, 40 minutes is quicker than a bus would bring you from any other suburb 15km away into the city centre

Hello all,

Looking for some advice. Considering buying a property in Lucan but wary of the commute to my job off Harcourt St in town Monday to Friday 9-5.30. Does anyone else do similar and if so how long are you looking at sitting on a bus? I have heard there is considerable traffic getting through the village and that before hitting roads with bus lanes. We also have a newborn baby so would need to be dropping them off at a creche and getting back from town to pick them up around half 6 (can probably leave work at 5 to help in this respect).

Any advice appreciated, can take sitting on a bus for 40 odd minutes each way anyway if thats the most we would have to.

As said by unkel, it depends on what part of the area you are looking at.

I don't use the bus at morning rush hour as I'm already in work. I use it a good bit in the evenings. From Harcourt St you can get the bus at Leeson St Lwr or Dawson St. The Luas works around town are adding to the journey time to the quays at the moment but once on the quays it moves fairly quickly. I'd be back in Lucan around 6ish from buses leaving around 5ish. They don't really fill up until Aston Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wideraudience

I live near enough to the supervalu in Lucan. I walk to the N4 in the morning and get either the 66X or 67X. This only operates between about 7 and 8.30 but flies into town. It takes about 30 minutes or less and drops me to Bachelors walk and saves me as least 30 minutes as it would take over an hour to get to the quays on the 25a or 25b.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I live in new lucan! and work not far from harcourt st.

Would cycling be on the cards at all? I cycle in in about 30mins. I drive in in about 40mins when the schools are on. I wouldnt fancy taking the bus tbh

for what its worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I live near enough to the supervalu in Lucan. I walk to the N4 in the morning and get either the 66X or 67X. This only operates between about 7 and 8.30 but flies into town. It takes about 30 minutes or less and drops me to Bachelors walk and saves me as least 30 minutes as it would take over an hour to get to the quays on the 25a or 25b.

Can you walk to the N4 stop from Esker Manor do you know? I can see the N4 goes by close to the estate but just not sure if the stop is around that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can you walk to the N4 stop from Esker Manor do you know? I can see the N4 goes by close to the estate but just not sure if the stop is around that area.

It's about 15mins. The stop on the N4 is just as the Newcastle Junction.
    Coming home, it would be easier because there is a stop on the N4 at the pedestrian entrance onto Esker Lane so you'd only have a 5-7min walk then.

Advertisement