Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merlin College?

• 24-09-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I would be grateful if you could advice me about merlin college in galway. I am new to galway and hope to start my daughter in 1st year in the city. As I live on the east side of galway I have been advised by friends to send her here but I know nothing about it as it's relatively new. Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well designed buildings, lots of really facilities.

Run by the VEC.

I've heard good things about the principal.

It's a multi-cultural neighbourhood - but don't let that put you off. Many of the immigrants there are qualified themselves, and have very high expectations for their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Coláiste Mhuirlinne is also mentioned in an older thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My daughter is a second year student here and she's very happy with the school, as are we.
    Youngish, enthusiastic teaching staff, forward thinking principal, great facilities(took the tour, the day the school opened and was actually jealous of the pupils going there) and support structures.
    John Cleary is the principal there and he's very easy to talk to, if you have any questions about the school.
    Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well designed buildings, lots of really facilities.

Run by the VEC.

I've heard good things about the principal.

It's a multi-cultural neighbourhood - but don't let that put you off. Many of the immigrants there are qualified themselves, and have very high expectations for their kids.

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lapin wrote: »
    Wow.

I'm not sure why that gets a "wow".

It's pretty well known that some people in this country actively avoid multi-ethnic school and neighbourhoods. If you're looking for evidence, take a look at the demand for Gaelscoil places in the last 15 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not sure why that gets a "wow".

It's pretty well known that some people in this country actively avoid multi-ethnic school and neighbourhoods. If you're looking for evidence, take a look at the demand for Gaelscoil places in the last 15 years or so.

I thought the demand for gaelscoils had to do with a wish to learn Irish, not due to racism . I suppose I learn something new everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I thought the demand for gaelscoils had to do with a wish to learn Irish, not due to racism . I suppose I learn something new everyday.

It nevertheless remains a curious fact that the gaelscoils are percieved to have a much lower proportion of "new Irish" in attendance.

It is inevitable that some would speculate that this "exclusivity" would be attractive to some parents.

It is also inevitable that in some cases this speculation would be bang on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's not racism as such, sometimes it's practical to recognise different communities might have different needs.
    There are some city schools in ireland where they teach English as a foreign language to children instead of covering the english curriculum set out by the department of education. Having a large proportion of children in a class from other countries with limited english language skills require that very basic english literacy must be prioritised. There are families who prefer to speak their native tongue at home together than english even after years living here for example.You cant really expect those kids to come to school with the same fluency to tackle subjects that an Irish child has. Catering for very diverse needs in a class often means bright kids don't get challenged or an opportunity to reach their potential. You can't discount that influence if you're deciding what's best for your child. It's definitely one if the reasons parents prefer gaelscoils. I think I'd probably consider it if I had kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 penguee

Thanks for responses. I don't mind that it's multi- cultural. Is discipline good and high standards of education? I know there are bullying issues in all schools but is it taken seriously here? What's the curriculum like?? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, you should contact the school and arrange a meet, if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Bubosw

Colaiste na Coiribe have moved some years of their students up to this school until their new building is ready. In my opinion, it sounds like a good vec school and by all accounts very progressive:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The principal (not me!) is good for responding to e-mails. Address can be gotten by searching for 'Secondary School Galway list'

Thanks for responses about Merlin College. It sounds very promising. I just learned that they're having an Open Night on the 23rd October for next years intake of 1st Years. Just thought some of you may wish to know this. I will certainly be checking it out for my daughter as I've heard lots of good things since also by Galway people in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

penguee wrote: »
    I will certainly be checking it out for my daughter as I've heard lots of good things since also by Galway people in the area.

I haven't any connection with the area myself, but I know that the facilities up at Merlin College are being put to great use by some sports groups outside of the school.

Seems to be really knitting the community together.

Thanks for advice about Merlin College. I took it up and got sorted. Unfortunately, a friend of mine was late applying and has had to be put on a waiting list as they're FULL for 1st Year 2015/16. I'm really glad as it's obviously in demand and has a great rep already but should there be another school in Galway or should they take more students do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

penguee wrote: »
    Thanks for advice about Merlin College. I took it up and got sorted. Unfortunately, a friend of mine was late applying and has had to be put on a waiting list as they're FULL for 1st Year 2015/16. I'm really glad as it's obviously in demand and has a great rep already but should there be another school in Galway or should they take more students do you think?

Can't see Galway city getting any more new school since the new Colaiste Na Coiribe school is under construction and Merlin & Claregalway schools were opened recently. There are merging schools in the city due to poor numbers (Pres & Mercy) and the numbers going to St Mary's has also fallen in recent years.

Advertisement