Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in rent, cannot afford, have to move

Options
  • 24-09-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice, my lease is up at the end of october. Landlord has told me they are increasing the rent by €200 a month. I cannot afford to pay this so am going to have to look for something else.

I am away for a few weeks in october so I really don't have much time to be looking for somewhere else to live, is it possible to ask can I have an extra month and move out at the end of november?

Should I have been given more notice of the rent increase?

Any thoughts appreciated!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I think you should make your case to the Landlord and ask if it is possible under the circumstances for you to stay on a month longer. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If your lease brings you over the 6 month mark you have a Part IV tenancy anyway and don't have to sign a new lease. You will then simply have to give the required notice as laid out in the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. You will have to pay the asked rent assuming it's a market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 peaceandlove

thanks for the replies so far.

I have been here four years they did not send me a rental agreement to sign last year, so according to the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 because I have been here over two years I can give them 56 days notice that I intend to move out? is that correct?

And I have to pay the €200 increase for that time? Or would it stay at the current rate as I do not agree to it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

thanks for the replies so far.

I have been here four years they did not send me a rental agreement to sign last year, so according to the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 because I have been here over two years I can give them 56 days notice that I intend to move out? is that correct?

And I have to pay the €200 increase for that time? Or would it stay at the current rate as I do not agree to it?

thanks

By law they are required to give you 56 days notice if you have been there 4 years. You could write to your LL stating that he/she is required to give you 56 days notice, as per the 2004 act, and that the new notice period will commence upon receipt of their new communication.

But first I would ring them, tell them your situation, be polite and ask if it's ok that you stay in place until the end of November.

If they refuse, bear in mind the average LL is clueless of their legal responsibilities and quite possibly isn't even aware of the 2004 act. First ring, then if they won't accommodate you, write to them by letter or email, cc the private tenancy board, and a local representative if you know one.

Tenants and landlords have rights and responsibilities. You're right in this instance is 56 days notice from the date of receipt of the letter from the LL. Not some phone conversation.

Good luck. Have a look around in the meantime, maybe you'll find something soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OK you are there 4 years so are at the end of the 4year period of security afforded by a part 4 tenancy so your landlord can ask you to leave at the end of the 4year period or any time in the next 6 months without giving any reason.

You though are deciding to leave because the rent will be too high after an increase so you must give the landlord notice(56 days in your case) and will also have to pay the increased rent unless it is way above the normal market rents for similar properties in the area although the landlord might not look for the extra since you are leaving or may even offer to reduce the amount of the increase if they have been happy with your tenancy, good tenants are hard to find according to most landlords!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

who_ru wrote: »
    By law they are required to give you 56 days notice if you have been there 4 years. You could write to your LL stating that he/she is required to give you 56 days notice, as per the 2004 act, and that the new notice period will commence upon receipt of their new communication.

WRONG you dont have to give 56 days notice of a rent increase. Notice to quit is a completely different topic which is what your referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP, would you like to stay where you are? what increase, if any, could you afford? perhaps make an alternative offer to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

im in the same situation but dealing with the Agency, think ill just talk to them and nicely ask if I can rent for another 2 months without signing new contract

Advertisement