Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's greatest pub to die in a week.

Options
  • 24-09-2014 8:49pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Padraig's Place, a fine drowsy watering hole with mottled couches, the aroma of wet dog and fireplace, perfect Guinness, and a few drunken bearded trad-heads banging out some tunes to morose piss-heads and gleeful Japanese couples who have veered from the beaten path, is to close next week.

Loved the gaff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Sounds like a sh1thole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Never heard of it. Where in Galway town is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Egginacup wrote: »
    Padraig's Place, a fine drowsy watering hole with mottled couches, the aroma of wet dog and fireplace, perfect Guinness, and a few drunken bearded trad-heads banging out some tunes to morose piss-heads and gleeful Japanese couples who have veered from the beaten path, is to close next week.

Loved the gaff

Never heard of it.

If I've been inside I bet it was by accident.

What are they putting in its place, a McD's or a KFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Egginacup wrote: »

Loved the gaff

It's a great spot for a pub. It wasn't terrible...it maintained it's authenticity anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Where will all the raggle-taggle crusties drink now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Down on the docks - used to be a rough, sawdust on the floor type place with a late licence for those coming in off the boats. Hasn't been like that in years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

mike_ie wrote: »
    Down on the docks - used to be a rough, sawdust on the floor type place with a late licence for those coming in off the boats. Hasn't been like that in years though.

Is that spot not Sheridans now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

mike_ie wrote: »
    Did you ever see people dancing to Saturday night fever while two girl guides had a fight in the background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Shame. Always liked it.
    Great pints and friendly athmosphere.
    Also had the greatest display of captain Birdseye beards I've ever clapped eyes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Yeah, it's not been the real Padraig's for a long time... Besides Galway's greatest pub died years ago when Taylor's went! I always maintained that it was really Taylors Tommy Tiernan was talking about in his bit about the session, not the Crane....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Great pub, end of an era really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Treadhead wrote: »
    Besides Galway's greatest pub died years ago when Taylor's went! I always maintained that it was really Taylors Tommy Tiernan was talking about in his bit about the session, not the Crane....

Indeed - they took one of the best trad pubs in the county and turned it into a bloody lapdancing club...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there some source for this rumour?

Great pub alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Derrastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours, please read the current charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Sounds like a sh1thole

It is/was but it was one of the finest ****holes you could ever hope to frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

h2005 wrote: »
    Is that spot not Sheridans now?

It was Sheridans. It was the place that had the controversy over early license vs Sunday license row with tenants and owner (sorry wifi rubbish for linking). It had been Páraics years ago and Páraic's place after it was Sheridans.

It would be known for a bit of craic alright :)

Wonder what's in next?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How many times has it closed down at this stage?

Many a great morning I had there back in the day.

I don't think I ever set foot in the place after midday.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Never heard of it.

If I've been inside I bet it was by accident.

What are they putting in its place, a McD's or a KFC?

Allegedly a restaurant (!)

• Advertisement

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Sounds like a sh1thole

It IS!

An absolute kip. That's what makes it so great.
    The sofas are like something out of The Royle Family.

Never heard of it. Where in Galway town is it

Down on Dock Road....at the harbour.
    I'm not some kind of advertiser....I just came upon the gaff a month ago. But it's ace...soon to be gone.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Where will all the raggle-taggle crusties drink now?

It's not a crusty scumhole....it's just a serious "public house" with a load of old chairs and board games in one section and fireplaces and manky, but comfy sofas all over the gaff and a cool bar and crap like that. I only just found it. But ... c'est la vie.

Go there and bring a buke (I'm a Dub) and just have beer.

biko wrote: »

Great pub alright.

The staff, biko.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

biko wrote: »

Great pub alright.

I can confirm that Biko. It's going the restaurant route from October.
    Hopefully see some off ye over the weekend for its final bash.

(Never knew AH heads came to us. Know a few of the Galway Forum Boardsies alright).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Damn. Kind of expected this 'cos it was for lease. But damn nevertheless. Was (is!) both very handy and comfortable.

Sympathies to the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

In the 60s that pub was James Delargey's & reading the above it does not seem to have changed much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mearings wrote: »
    In the 60s that pub was James Delargey's & reading the above it does not seem to have changed much.

Still in the delargey family.. Many changes of people leasing it over the years, but hasn't really been the same since it was an early house.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was there last night (the last night) and had a few.
    Goodbye old trusty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There's always paddy fahys

Advertisement