Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a ps2 in the states

• 24-09-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I am going to the states in a few weeks and want to buy a ps2 while over there if possible. I know there not as populsr anymore cause we are on ps4 now but still hoping.

Does anyone know where I could possible get one and if so will I have any problems with customs on the way home?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why get a PS2 over there? You'll need a step down converter to play it without blowing the power supply.

If you do go that way customs should be fine. If there's a problem say you brought it over with you.

It depends where you are going but most big cities have retro shops you can get them from.

Are you getting one to play NTSC games? My advice is to get a European PS2 then either get it chipped or free mc boot it.getting it chipped will be the toughest since it will be tough to find someone to do it. Free mc boot is a software mod so you can easily do it yourself. If you have a phat PS2 you can load your games to hard disk using a PC then pay the games from the hard disk using the PS2 network adapter. This improves load times and stops the laser wearing out. Only Kingdom Hearts 2 doesn't work that I know of.

If its to play PS 1 NTSC games then again get a European PS1 and chip it. PS1 games on a PS2 will quickly wear the laser out, PS1 consoles other than the first few models are much better built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have a working NTSC PS2 in the attic if you want it? Got a converter and all, 1 controller and a few games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless you are offering it for free there's no selling on the forum.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unless you are offering it for free there's no selling on the forum.

Its free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Would this free mc boot be a solution to my ps2 refusing to play Rez? All my other games play fine, except for Rez which is a blue disc (it used to play it).

• Advertisement

Yes it would. You can copy blue disc games to the Hard Disk using a PC.

The fact that the PS2 won't read blue discs is the first sign that the DVD laser is on the way out so to avoid further wear free mc boot is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how good were the ps2 emulators for pc's like Bleem in the end?

I don't like them but then again I'm pedantic about emulation. It's about the same level as espsxe, really inaccurate and relying on plug ins to get most games working.

Skerries wrote: »
    how good were the ps2 emulators for pc's like Bleem in the end?

I can run God of War at 30fps iirc, but its a bit of a pain to get working.

Emulators don't support full multi threading, I think it maxes at two cores, so a dual core 4.0gHz is better than a quad core 2.5gHz for example

Advertisement