Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to read new water meters - remotely

Options
  • 24-09-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Is there any way , apart from opening the meter cover outside , that I can get a device inside my house to pick up the metering data to monitor my water usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Thanks , for your reply. I am surprised in the 21st century that I walk outside my house and lever a cover on a public road to attempt to get a meter reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

You could install your own in your premises to suit your location for monitoring.

Thanks. That was my original question - How would one do that?

adrian92 wrote: »
    Thanks. That was my original question - How would one do that?

There are ones available that are roughly the size of a circulating pump with male bsp connections, roughly €25 would buy you the unit, be simple install just mains in and mains out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Domymac

most water mains enters the house at your kitchen feeding your sink and straight to your attic.
    so best to fit the meter under your sink . just get a meter that reads m3 to match the meter outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think the issue was that if you got the encryption key and the other information you could make a transmitter that could swamp the signal from the meter and send rouge readings to the equipment that is reading the meter.

Even as it is on an unlicensed spectrum it would probably be possible to jam the signal from the meter.

I think it would be very unlikely that Irish Water would give any of the information you require as it would allow you to compromise the system. It was probably a mistake to go for an unlicensed frequency band as the signal could be impacted by other transmitters in the same frequency bands.

http://www.water.ie/docs/Irish-Water-Meters-and-AMR-technology-English-08082014.pdf

From this doc there are two types of meter, one polls the meter for the meter to respond, and the other one transmits the data intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dingding wrote: »
    I think the issue was that if you got the encryption key and the other information you could make a transmitter that could swamp the signal from the meter and send rouge readings to the equipment that is reading the meter.

Even as it is on an unlicensed spectrum it would probably be possible to jam the signal from the meter.

I think it would be very unlikely that Irish Water would give any of the information you require as it would allow you to compromise the system. It was probably a mistake to go for an unlicensed frequency band as the signal could be impacted by other transmitters in the same frequency bands.

http://www.water.ie/docs/Irish-Water-Meters-and-AMR-technology-English-08082014.pdf

From this doc there are two types of meter, one polls the meter for the meter to respond, and the other one transmits the data intermittently.

Even if they used a licenced band it would be easy to make a jammer. Gsm is a licenced band and you can purchase jammers for it.

The encryption on these would be fairly decent I would imagine to prevent spoofing of meter values. Probably using asymmetric encryption such as rsa. The likes of the French utilities have been doing amr for a long period, so technology is well developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If it is an unlicensed frequency band I assume it would not be illegal to transmit at this frequency.

While if it was a licensed frequency action could be taken against the jammers.

Many thanks to all for suggestions. I just wanted to know if could monitor my water usage inside my home.
    I notice that Irish Water is buying meters ( one of two suppliers) from a Vermin Missile Arms Manufacturing plant. deihl?

• Advertisement

Mistake. vermin I meant German

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Domymac wrote: »
    most water mains enters the house at your kitchen feeding your sink and straight to your attic.
    so best to fit the meter under your sink . just get a meter that reads m3 to match the meter outside

Not in Dublin it doesn't. It comes in from the road, under your front garden & usually comes in under the front door.

A lot of stop valves are under the stairs though most are under the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is not really an ideal solution to fit another meter in the home to act as a monitor as you could get a leak between meter on road and meter in home and end up with a big bill for missing water that never reached your monitoring meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

mickdw wrote: »
    Is not really an ideal solution to fit another meter in the home to act as a monitor as you could get a leak between meter on road and meter in home and end up with a big bill for missing water that never reached your monitoring meter.

But that would be the best way to realise you've an external leak rather than shooting the kids.

Fit the internal meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

scudo2 wrote: »
    But that would be the best way to realise you've an external leak rather than shooting the kids.

Fit the internal meter.

Well yes but that means you need to go opening the meter in the street again which is what the op was trying to avoid

Just took a meter reading. 81000 litres since may. That's €450! My 2 kids are over 18 so we have 4 adults in the house. I'll get allowance for 1 adult. My water bill will be over €1000 per year without the rainwater harvesting.
    Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just took a meter reading. 81000 litres since may. That's €450! My 2 kids are over 18 so we have 4 adults in the house. I'll get allowance for 1 adult. My water bill will be over €1000 per year without the rainwater harvesting.
    Scary

How did you take the reading if ya don't mind me asking?would like to get mine

How did you take the reading if ya don't mind me asking?would like to get mine

You just lift the lid (screwdriver will be handy) remove the white foam insulation. You'll see the meter. Mine reads 81. 1 =1000 litres. 1000 litres =€5

You just lift the lid (screwdriver will be handy) remove the white foam insulation. You'll see the meter. Mine reads 81. 1 =1000 litres. 1000 litres =€5

Oh right,I was under the impression we were not able to read it that it was done remotely?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Scary

It won't be as scary when the grown ups are paying there share of the bill

• Advertisement

I don't really fancy giving irish water mine and my kids pps number and bank details to be honest!reckon they can jog on!

Oh right,I was under the impression we were not able to read it that it was done remotely?!

It is done remotely but you have to be able to read it yourself too. Otherwise they could lie or just make a mistake.

It is done remotely but you have to be able to read it yourself too. Otherwise they could lie or just make a mistake.

Ye was thinking that,must go have a look so,cheers pal

scudo2 wrote: »

Fit the internal meter.

Agree also, the 2 meters would have to run in sync putting up the same mileage and if they start to differ it would be a leak present.

Tried to read my street meter. The radio transmission unit is mounted over the meter display , hence not possible to read the meter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't really fancy giving irish water mine and my kids pps number and bank details to be honest!reckon they can jog on!

So you won't get the allowance for the people in the house so.

Advertisement