Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Get Away With Murder [ABC] [** Spoilers **]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this, it has promise but I also feel it could be quite bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is one of the new shows I have really been looking forward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Airs tonight in the states. I have high hopes for this. I'm a sucker for anything courtroom based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I liked this. Anybody else think the
    husband
    is involved in the dissappearance / death of the college girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it too (I wouldn't like her as my teacher thought!). I was watching it while doing something else, so the time jumps were a bit confusing. I'll watch it properly before the next one.

Pity almost all of the main student cast are so unlikeable (apart from the lead underdog student). Maybe they'll soften up over the next few episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

What station is this on?
    This is one of the new shows I have really been looking forward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

johnire wrote: »
    What station is this on?

ABC.

saw it loved it

Viola Davis is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I really enjoyed it. The opening and closing scenes both kept me intrigued as to what happens next.

By far my favourite off all 3 Shondra Rhimes episodes that were aired in Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

johnire wrote: »
    What station is this on?

For anyone with no US relatives it starts on Universal Channel on Wednesday October 22nd at 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Is anyone watching this? There are a lot of things that are minorly irritating but overall it's fairly compelling viewing. It's killing me watching it week by week. It's one of those series' where I dislike most of the characters but still care about what happens to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Is anyone watching this? There are a lot of things that are minorly irritating but overall it's fairly compelling viewing. It's killing me watching it week by week. It's one of those series' where I dislike most of the characters but still care about what happens to them.

2 episodes in and I am really enjoying it. Hopefully the quality can be maintained for the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

2 episodes in for me too and I'm liking it a lot. Interesting to see the plot unfold so far. I'm not certain that the characters are really supposed to be _that_ likeable. Certainly at least not yet. It's all a bit dog eat dog in that world and I think the characters reflect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Agree with all of this.

Rhimes is really good at creating characters that you look at and are like "jesus, you're an asshole" but who are still compelling. (See: Scandal).

I really like it so far and it will be absolute torture watching it week by week.

My only criticism is that everyone is a little bit too whatever they're supposed to be.

Too naive. Too shy. Too cocky. Too whatever. It just takes me out of it sometimes and flashes a big "Acting" sign over their heads.

I am, however, delighted to see Viola Davis in a lead and Liza Weil in a role that seems like it will suit her.

ABC has given it a full season pick up though only 15 episodes

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I saw that in the news and am embarassed to say I have no idea what that means.:o could someone clarify?

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    My only criticism is that everyone is a little bit too whatever they're supposed to be.

Too naive. Too shy. Too cocky. Too whatever. It just takes me out of it sometimes and flashes a big "Acting" sign over their heads.

I am, however, delighted to see Viola Davis in a lead and Liza Weil in a role that seems like it will suit her.

I agree that a lot of it seems a bit too unbelievable- the classroom scenes where everyone puts their hand up but she only ever picks her favourite students- it's like a big highlighter saying 'just in case you forgot these are the main characters'. Its also a bit tick-the-box-ey with black girl, white girl, black boy, white boy, gay boy, but I'm hoping they develop the characters a bit beyond this. It's interesting enough that I'm happy to wilfully suspend disbelief and go with it.

Viola Davis is amazing. I love that she can completely be the cold boss lady yet show her vulnerable side.

I saw that in the news and am embarassed to say I have no idea what that means.:o could someone clarify?
    On networks like ABC, a "full" season is usually about 22 episodes. (Too many, in my opinion).

So, it's a significantly shorter season that might be expected.

I think it will benefit the show and give it some breathing room but it could imply that ABC isn't confident in it.

I enjoyed the third episode a lot. It's moving nicely along.

Sidenote: When you google "How to get away with murder", google will not auto-complete the phrase.

Not going to spoiler cause spoiler is in the thread title but just in case you're not up to date *episode 3 spoiler ahead*

Been wondering if the reason that buff policeman boyfriend lied to Annalise about her husband's lack of alibi was because he knew she could get him out of it and he wanted to go and follow it up for himself and get back in the chief's good books? Wonder if it's going to turn into a thing of him on the trail of yer man's disappearance/death? Just my theory...

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Sidenote: When you google "How to get away with murder", google will not auto-complete the phrase.

Google suggested I look up 'how to get away with murdering someone'!

Things are hotting up this week. 'Why is there a picture of your penis on a dead girl's phone?'...looking forward to hearing what he's got to say for himself. Why was Bonnie lurking outside the gaff? How much does she know?

Major design flaw having opening windows in an upper floor of a stockbrokers office- must have been the same building as the matrix :P

im sure this will be bumped to 22 after Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭crybaby

the trailer is a bit cringey isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The intention was always for it to only be a 15/16 episode season. The first few epiosdes are pretty good, but it does have potential to fall off the rails.

Shonda's shows always seems to have smaller first seasons

I just can't see how they will spin this out over more than one season. What makes it so intriguing IMO is the tension between Annalises professional and private personas and how she applies her professional ethics,or lack of, to her private problems. I can't see that happening with the husband out of the picture.

I enjoyed the most recent episode a lot.

Apparently the actress who plays Laurel is Mexican and speaks English as a second language. You'd never know it. I quite like the tension between her and Frank. Shonda keeps getting me to root for cheaters.

So, we are obviously supposed to think that Annalise's husband killed the student. They even threw in a little bit of him being rough with Annalise, implying he's violent when he loses his temper.

Also, we're probably supposed to assume that one of the students or the neighbour kill Frank and that's why they band together and are getting rid of the body. But what if they just find him dead, assume Annalise killed him and want to protect her?

Annalise's police officer boyfriend was so dickish to her this episode it actually made me laugh. He was like a panto villain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm only halfway through the first episode, but I have a prediction that
    Bonnie, the associate (Liza Weil)
    is going to play some major role in what transpires. Purely on the understanding that I've thought highly of her in previous roles, such as The West Wing and Gilmore Girls, and she would otherwise be under-utilised. :cool:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wes Gibbons = Dean Thomas from Harry Potter

giphy.gif

Not sure how others are finding this now it's six episodes in but I'm finding it boring. I'll stick with it a bit longer, but I'm only half watching it.

My OH has given up on it...too American and unbelievable he said. His parting prediction- Annalise killed the girl (Lila) and her husband...a long shot but could be right?

I like it but would box it as trash tv. I do like the way they set people up as a certain stereotypical character and then show the flipside of that- for example
    Annalise as ball breaker but then emotionally vulnerable, Connor as cool and sarcky but then breaking down at his ex's door, Laurel as good and conscientious but cheating on her boyfriend, Asher as self entitled rich kid calling his da out on being dodgy)- I'm hoping they do something more with Wes and Rebecca soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

My OH has given up on it...too American and unbelievable he said. His parting prediction- Annalise killed the girl (Lila) and her husband...a long shot but could be right?

Annalise didn't know about the girl until after she died.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Annalise didn't know about the girl until after she died.

...she says...she was certainly suspicious. I agree it's a long shot. I think Bonnie's more involved than she'd like to let on.

Watching the pilot and rather enjoying it. It's another of those everyone seems to be screwing everyone show and I don't think that it's quite half as smart as it thinks it is. At first glance there's a lot going on but there's no much substance. Sure it's glossy and well made and performances are excellent but there's just something missing.

Usually only the pilot and maybe 5 episodes are produced and shot until a network picks up a show for a full season and if a show gets a full season order it could be an indicator the show will also get a second season

Viola Davis is the mvp, carrying the show as Annalise Keating, she reminds me Patty Hewes from Damages

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

After watching 2nd episode, will have to admit I'm lost as to what is going on.

Will try and read up what the first two episodes were about and might watch the few episodes I have recorded. Not that interested in it atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

At least now we know what actually happened.. Good episode this week

Yes, very satisfying- although if it wasn't I'd be p!ssed it wasn't back on til the end of January. Loved the
    twist at the end with Annalise saying 'don't bother'- puts into perspective her long phone message- now we just have to make sure that no one cracks- my money's on Conor or Michaela

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Best last 10 seconds of a TV show I've seen in a long time. Somewhere up there Alfred Hitchcock is smiling.

mel.b wrote: »
    I liked this. Anybody else think the
    husband
    is involved in the dissappearance / death of the college girl?

Picked it after episode 1 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Absolutely fantastic show, really loving it. I also enjoy how the lawyer's really don't give a sh1t as long as they win. That ending to the last episode though, one of the best endings to a programme ever. Did not see it coming and I actually shouted Oh My God at the screen. Don't think I've ever done that at a TV Show before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic show, really loving it. I also enjoy how the lawyer's really don't give a sh1t as long as they win. That ending to the last episode though, one of the best endings to a programme ever. Did not see it coming and I actually shouted Oh My God at the screen. Don't think I've ever done that at a TV Show before.

I was the same. Fantastic ending. I never even considered that Annalise would be involved until that last minute where she came out to talk to them all and specifically looked at Wes. I actually said out load to my partner "Oh fcuk, She was in the house when Wes came back and THAT is why she left that voice message on Sam's phone".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just caught up on this over the last few days. Did not expect it to be so good. The end of that last episode was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here... I watched episodes 4-8 over the weekend, and saw episode 9 tonight.

It was nice to finally see things in chronological order (including the murder), and the ending was an absolute jaw dropper. I actually swore out loud.

It took a long time to get warmed up, but the payoff was superb. I can't wait to see where they go to from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just seen Ep.9, and I see what you mean about the ending: the rest of the season, the show will really have to live up to its title, won't it? ;)

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Starts on RTE 2 tonight at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Starts on RTE 2 tonight at 10pm
    Will watch the beginning again as I see good reviews for this since I gave up watching it on Universal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Another decent episode this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

anyone see the show last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

jezzer wrote: »
    anyone see the show last night?

Just there now. Whats she at framing him? What a twist!

Love it- they spend the whole episode building up sympathy for her and then have her pull the ultimate d!ck move in the closing moments. I love how this show turns morality on its head- the sister irks me to no end even though she's the most blameless and righteous character in the show atm!