Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sale with owner not present, what documentation is needed?

• 25-09-2014 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

If I'm buying privately with owner not present - and I do believe it's genuine and the seller has permission from the owner to sell - what documentation is needed for the sale to go ahead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

some means of verifying the ownership. meeting at the address named on the logbook would be a good verification if the owner couldn't be present.

what you want to see the cars logbook and you want to sign your name and address on it before the deal is finished. if you can't do this before you exchange the cash i wouldn't deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Who would be signing the log book? Has it already been signed by the owner or will the person selling on his/hers behalf forge the signature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bear1 wrote: »
    Who would be signing the log book? Has it already been signed by the owner or will the person selling on his/hers behalf forge the signature?

i think the logbook previous owners signature is a bit of a faff really, how are the people in Shannon to know that it's a genuine signature one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

i think the logbook previous owners signature is a bit of a faff really, how are the people in Shannon to know that it's a genuine signature one way or the other.

I meant more if they try and scam them, e.g. that isn't my signature blah blah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's a great price, I'd be careful of the "too good to be true" saying, as it could be part of a messy breakup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

No matter what car or how much it's worth, I'd want a cartell/motorcheck/mywheels full report in my hands to verify details and that it's not reported as stolen, written off etc.

I'd want two original keys/remotes if it's a newish car. If it's older and only comes with one key, make sure the key is worn as it should be. One fresh looking key? Walk away.

I'd want a letter from the owner, authorising the person who's selling it to do so on their behalf. This should be a posted letter, with postmarked envelope etc. Attached to this, I'd want a full colour scan of the authors driving license or passport, from which you can verify signatures and their irish address. These should be yours, to take away with the car.

I'd want the logbook with the owners signature already entered, verified against the above.

I'd want old NCT's etc. service history etc. supporting documentation.

I'd insist on completing the deal at the registered owners address. I'd insist on filling in paperwork INSIDE that address. If they have access to the house and the car, keys and paperwork and you have satisfactory communications from the owner, it's a pretty safe deal.

I'd bring a stamped addressed envelope to Shannon and I'd insist that you and the owners agent post it immediately, together.

I'd only pay by draft, made out to the registered owner on the logbook, or a direct lodgement to their bank account in their name, with the details provided in writing. No sob stories about how the seller is shifting it for their kid or brother or whatever as they have to pay bills or that they don't have a bank account in Ireland any more. The owner can lodge an Irish bank draft in any country around the world and extra time for it to clear is his problem and not yours. If that's not acceptable, walk away.

I'd insist in a written receipt, a copy for each of you, buyer and seller.

To do all of this shouldn't take more than an hour or two for the owner to scan stuff, write a letter and stick it in the post to their agent with the logbook. Even if they're in Oz, the logbook can be with them and back to Ireland in a week and cost them maybe 60 euro.

If they want a deposit before going to that 'trouble', tell the agent/owner they can do it and call you and you'll complete the deal the same day the paperwork is all in order.

If they can't do those things, walk on and find another car or risk losing your money and the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

No matter what car or how much it's worth, I'd want a cartell/motorcheck/mywheels full report in my hands to verify details and that it's not reported as stolen, written off etc.

I'd want two original keys/remotes if it's a newish car. If it's older and only comes with one key, make sure the key is worn as it should be. One fresh looking key? Walk away.

I'd want a letter from the owner, authorising the person who's selling it to do so on their behalf. This should be a posted letter, with postmarked envelope etc. Attached to this, I'd want a full colour scan of the authors driving license or passport, from which you can verify signatures and their irish address. These should be yours, to take away with the car.

I'd want the logbook with the owners signature already entered, verified against the above.

I'd want old NCT's etc. service history etc. supporting documentation.

I'd insist on completing the deal at the registered owners address. I'd insist on filling in paperwork INSIDE that address. If they have access to the house and the car, keys and paperwork and you have satisfactory communications from the owner, it's a pretty safe deal.

I'd bring a stamped addressed envelope to Shannon and I'd insist that you and the owners agent post it immediately, together.

I'd only pay by draft, made out to the registered owner on the logbook, or a direct lodgement to their bank account in their name, with the details provided in writing. No sob stories about how the seller is shifting it for their kid or brother or whatever as they have to pay bills or that they don't have a bank account in Ireland any more. The owner can lodge an Irish bank draft in any country around the world and extra time for it to clear is his problem and not yours. If that's not acceptable, walk away.

I'd insist in a written receipt, a copy for each of you, buyer and seller.

To do all of this shouldn't take more than an hour or two for the owner to scan stuff, write a letter and stick it in the post to their agent with the logbook. Even if they're in Oz, the logbook can be with them and back to Ireland in a week and cost them maybe 60 euro.

If they want a deposit before going to that 'trouble', tell the agent/owner they can do it and call you and you'll complete the deal the same day the paperwork is all in order.

If they can't do those things, walk on and find another car or risk losing your money and the car.

probably one of the best posts i have ever seen on boards

Advertisement