Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone fans

• 25-09-2014 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Out of curiosity, do iphone users go and stalk the Android (if there is one) page and constantly slag off the phones?

I know there's a bit of harmless banter with some but others are verging on ott with the iPhone bashing.

Each to their own but the constant slagging can get irritating. If people want to find specs of Android/iphone the web is very informative. Why keep posting about it in Apple devices?

Just wondered was it the other way around too??? New to the board and coming in less because of it :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,639 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Out of curiosity, do iphone users go and stalk the Android (if there is one) page and constantly slag off the phones?

I know there's a bit of harmless banter with some but others are verging on ott with the iPhone bashing.

Each to their own but the constant slagging can get irritating. If people want to find specs of Android/iphone the web is very informative. Why keep posting about it in Apple devices?

Just wondered was it the other way around too??? New to the board and coming in less because of it :-(

It's the nerdy version of Manchester United/Liverpool. Know what you mean though I have Galaxy s4 as personal phone and Iphone 5s work phone and they both have their merits/faults but have never felt the need to actually ARGUE with someone over something that at the end of the day is just a gadget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm apple myself and I wouldn't go slag off android... There both top OS in great phones and it comes down to personal preference. None of this apple/android fan boy ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's always like this around Apple product launches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

It's the nerdy version of Manchester United/Liverpool. Know what you mean though I have Galaxy s4 as personal phone and Iphone 5s work phone and they both have their merits/faults but have never felt the need to actually ARGUE with someone over something that at the end of the day is just a gadget.
    Its repeated in loads of other places too; game consoles, cars etc.

I honestly do not get how passionate some seem to get over it. Any negative point and they'll jump in to defend its honor, or in this case go to the opposition and try and drag it down.

Worse example I can think of off hand actually was back when The Dark Knight was released. Legions of them went to IMDB to give it 10s to bump its rating to the point it knocked Godfather off #1, what did Godfather fans do? Go to the Dark Knight and give it 0/10's... and vice-versa. Good god...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Jealously makes normally rational people lose the run of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,639 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

naasrd wrote: »
    Jealously makes normally rational people lose the run of themselves.

I don't think it's jealousy as much as it is stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I can't say I have any intention of going to the Android forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't get it myself. I'm an iPhone person by choice. I have reasons that I don't want an Android device that I believe are well considered and make sense to me. I'm happy with my choice. I'm happy to let other people make their own choices as well and it's a personal preference really what phone you decide to use.

I do have a friend who was an avid iPhone user and who switched to Android about 2 years ago. I give him a fair bit of slagging at times but it's all good humored and never ventures into anything nasty.

Similarly I don't feel a need to go to Android forums slagging those users off. Actually I'm not really seriously interested in using Android so I just don't go to the forums at all so can't say if iPhone people do head over there and troll.

It can be annoying to see Android people trolling these forums with comments such as "My <insert Android device> had <insert feature> in 2012" or "Apple lock down everything". Those types of comments do have a point to them however I'm aware of these things and factor it into my own decision to use IOS. You do get some more uninformed stuff as well and it just wastes pixels really.

Both OSes are great in their own ways. I just don't really understand why some people can't get that and just live and let live.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's the nerdy version of Manchester United/Liverpool.
    The difference in that example is both sides give as good as they get. You don't see fans of Apple in the android forums gloating about any negative press an android device gets. It's a *little* bit sad when you see the opposite.

The unfortunate side-effect is sometimes someone asking genuine questions gets shot down as a driveby Apple hater.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

For years I was an Android fan and had a mate who loved Apple. I used to rib him a lot about it but just as friends do. Something odd happened though, he went to Android and developed this hatred of all things Apple! I on the other hand purchased an iPad 3 as a friend had the 2 and any time I used his I was blown away. I know have the Air but still use an Android phone (M7) but have my eyes on the 6. Each to their own but there is way more trolling from the Android side, more so around launches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I rarely see any of this bickering in any other forum than AH when some newbie posts there about Apple/Android.
    Tbh each system has advantages/disadvantages, nothing to get one's knickers in a twist over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dades wrote: »
    You don't see fans of Apple in the android forums gloating about any negative press an android device gets. It's a *little* bit sad when you see the opposite.

THIS

It's comical when you see extremely regular posters in the Android forum make their annual trek over here for an iPhone launch. I suppose the novelty of Samsung phone launches wears thin when they happen every 97.5 minutes.

The reasoning usually goes something like this:

Well I was seriously thinking of switching to an iPhone but I'm not going to now because:
    • It's just a bigger X
    • It's just a smaller Y
    • It doesn't have 4 Octocore processors, 2TB of RAM, a RAID 10 array a UPS and a 5.25" floppy drive.
    • It still doesn't run flash
    • I can't root it and install the O/S from my Linux sandwich toaster
    • It's the same price as every other year.
    • Steve Jobs wouldn't have made it like this.
    • Millions of Samsung owners will call me a sheep.
    • It's glass
    • It's metal
    • It's plastic
    • I used to own an iPhone X so I'm not Apple bashing when I say <insert apple bashing>
    • It doesn't have touchwiz (ok I made that one up) :pac:
    • I've heard all about the major issues with this-weeks-made-up-gate.
    • The parts cost $X and Apple are selling it for more than that.
    • The Galaxy S +6 Global Book Note Tablet X57 Junior Mega Edition that launches in 4 weeks is better and it has a PS2 port a full size keyboard and a waffle maker you can activate remotely with the waffle-wave(TM) gesture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

Graham wrote: »
    THIS

It's comical when you see extremely regular posters in the Android forum make their annual trek over here for an iPhone launch. I suppose the novelty of Samsung phone launches wears thin when they happen every 97.5 minutes.

The reasoning usually goes something like this:

Well I was seriously thinking of switching to an iPhone but I'm not going to now because:
    • It's just a bigger X
    • It's just a smaller Y
    • It doesn't have 4 Octocore processors, 2TB of RAM, a RAID 10 array a UPS and a 5.25" floppy drive.
    • It still doesn't run flash
    • I can't root it and install the O/S from my Linux sandwich toaster
    • It's the same price as every other year.
    • Steve Jobs wouldn't have made it like this.
    • Millions of Samsung owners will call me a sheep.
    • It's glass
    • It's metal
    • It's plastic
    • I used to own an iPhone X so I'm not Apple bashing when I say <insert apple bashing>
    • It doesn't have touchwiz (ok I made that one up) :pac:
    • I've heard all about the major issues with this-weeks-made-up-gate.
    • The parts cost $X and Apple are selling it for more than that.
    • The Galaxy S +6 Global Book Note Tablet X57 Junior Mega Edition that launches in 4 weeks is better and it has a PS2 port a full size keyboard and a waffle maker you can activate remotely with the waffle-wave(TM) gesture

I needed a laugh!!!

I can't believe some people get so worked up over these things. And with Apples bad press over the last couple of days it's just adding fuel to a fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

In fairness though, waffle making capability *is* something sorely lacking on the iPhone, even after 7 years! What's taking them so long??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Branoic wrote: »
    In fairness though, waffle making capability *is* something sorely lacking on the iPhone, even after 7 years! What's taking them so long??

They are working on an incredible topping, originally code-named iSauce but recently renamed AppleSauce

Advertisement