Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K11 March vs Micra

• 25-09-2014 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

we're replacing Mrs tc20s K11 Micra, and she wants another one.
    I'd like to hear from any March owners if you can tell me if there are any differences between the two models.
    I know the March is a Japanese market version of the Micra, and as such gets some added options over the Micra, and that some of the bodywork, light clusters etc are different. But what of the mechanicals? Exactly the same or no?
    Are there any reasons not to favour the March over the Micra?

all suggestions of "get a Yaris" or "what about an M3 never mind the tax" have already been tried by me, herself wants a Micra/March, end of :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mechanically they're identical. I actually think you'll get a better spec'd Micra over a March. Many of the ones I have seen are near poverty spec whereas there are plenty of higher spec micras about. And like above you need to ring your insurance company and enquire about prices as most companies charge a higher premium for imported cars regardless of how identical they are to their European version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

OSI wrote: »
    Have you checked the insurance between a Micra and a March?

no, not something I had considered, but thanks - will do and will post the details here. Will be interesting to see what the difference might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Mechanically they're identical. I actually think you'll get a better spec'd Micra over a March. Many of the ones I have seen are near poverty spec whereas there are plenty of higher spec micras about. And like above you need to ring your insurance company and enquire about prices as most companies charge a higher premium for imported cars regardless of how identical they are to their European version.

i would disagree. at least dependent on what years of each model the op is looking at.

99% of march's will have central locking and electric windows which the micra didn't get until the final facelift in 2000.

they will also have air con, power fold mirrors, most likely "alloys and fogs" and are styled a little quirkier. which i'm pretty sure (bar fogs) were all still options even after the 2000 facelift.

having a japanese dashoard in km's would also be favourable over an irish micra in miles at this point.

insurance imo is the only real reason that i would avoid a march. even though they are probably the least threatening car on the roads, most insurance companies will ride you for anything "jap import", so worth getting a quote first. that said, it could well be reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I have a '98 March the last 14 and a half years. Never ever once had an issue with insurance. And over the years I had it insured with Quinn, Axa, Brittons and two more I can't remember.

Mine has central locking, twin airbags, arm rest with cd storage, electric windows, electric door mirrors, cd player, auto dim rear view mirror, abs brakes, air con, alloys and foglights.

At this stage of their life when looking at them have a look at the crossmember at the front as they nearly always go. Google it to see what to look for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

thanks lads. I checked with the insurance, gave them details of two cars I was looking at, only difference being one a Micra, the other a March. No difference at all on the policy. I double checked, and it was confirmed - most insurance co's will have a list of imported cars that are acceptable, some that are on referral, and some they won't touch. The March falls into the first list, so no worries there.
    We'll be looking at 99 onwards models. Spec is not the decider, it would be, as renofan points out, the tinworm (or rather the lack of). I'm well aware of the crossmember, and the sills can get grotty too, so that'll be the first point to check. After that, I'm not bothered, but creature comforts are more than welcome. For windy-up windows and a complete lack of buttons on the dash, I've got my W201 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The march has higher spec. It's also made in Japan as opposed to the UK and is a bit more reliable as a result.

Advertisement