Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Killarney

• 25-09-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Anyone done much cycling in or around Killarney ?

Heading for the weeknd with the girlfriend. Not talking anything big..... sub 40kms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

start in Killarney, head out towards the gap of Dunloe, climb over moll's gap and back to Killarney, its the route that they use for the adventure race and its got some great scenery, Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

novarapid wrote: »
    start in Killarney, head out towards the gap of Dunloe, climb over moll's gap and back to Killarney, its the route that they use for the adventure race and its got some great scenery, Enjoy.

thanks mate, appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Amazing part of the world, whether its in a car or on a bike. Take your time and enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

if you're looking for something a little flatter, head out the Muckross road and head into the national park. Plenty of cycling trails around there and beautiful scenery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Agree with suggestions above. Be sure to get in as much of the national park as possible. Some of it is gravel pathway so a hybrid or fatter tyres are better.
    I did the Ring of Kerry on my own this year but never again. Three close shaves in 160Km while being overtaken by was enough to put me off that route forever. It might be a little quieter at this time of year though. The next time I go back there I will bring the hybrid and stay on the quieter link roads.

• Advertisement

novarapid wrote: »

Sounds like a route that would be great to cycle.

Found a map for it:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/cill-airne-m/killarney-gap-of-dunloe-molls-gap-kenmar-route-1721432

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

ronoc wrote: »
    Sounds like a route that would be great to cycle.

Found a map for it:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/cill-airne-m/killarney-gap-of-dunloe-molls-gap-kenmar-route-1721432

If you are using mountain or hybrid bike you could follow a lot of that route but when you go over tge gap of dunloe and head down into the black valley you can then cut through the park along the lake, its a decent gravel track approx 5-6 miles and you will come out on the kilarney side of molls, saves you climbing molls after hurting yourself on the gap:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Was down there a month ago. Did the Killarney, Gap of Dunloe, Black Valley, Molls Gap, Killarney spin in 2 and a half hours easily. It's 56kms and the scenery is beautiful. The only busy spot is from Kate Kearneys cottage into the Gap for about 3km as you're dodging Jarveys and walkers (and piles of horse****!).

Did a longer spin the next day from Killarney up to Molls Gap, onto Sneem, back to Kenmare, a 10km climb up to Molls Gap and then back to Killarney in 5 hours. It was 105km with a lot of climbs. Oh and it pissed rain for all but the final 10km!

If you get the weather, I'd recommend the first route as it's easy enough and the scenery is beautiful.

thanks folks

Soooooo......Lovely cycle , but eh , probably best not to do it with your girlfriend.....recovering from an MCL injury.... who hasnt cycled much in two years .... in the rain..... on her birthday. Took some serious heat for it !! it was a tough enough spin to say the least. She still isnt seeing the funny side of it ....... some people !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Domane wrote: »
    Was down there a month ago. Did the Killarney, Gap of Dunloe, Black Valley, Molls Gap, Killarney spin in 2 and a half hours easily. It's 56kms and the scenery is beautiful. The only busy spot is from Kate Kearneys cottage into the Gap for about 3km as you're dodging Jarveys and walkers (and piles of horse****!).

Did a longer spin the next day from Killarney up to Molls Gap, onto Sneem, back to Kenmare, a 10km climb up to Molls Gap and then back to Killarney in 5 hours. It was 105km with a lot of climbs. Oh and it pissed rain for all but the final 10km!

If you get the weather, I'd recommend the first route as it's easy enough and the scenery is beautiful.

I'd recommend this also. I think you cut out Black Valley/Molls Gap by talking the ferry back to Killarney from Lord Brandon's Cottage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I did the Gap (of Dunloe) on Saturday and then back through Black Valley, even managed to get lost, stunning scenery, the Dunloe climb is unlike any other in the country, ie. the steep bit with it's amphitheatre of rock !

gap-of-dunloe.jpg

84F0D3B6BB094966B7F90610F0EA9C68-0000318644-0003676350-00800L-D7DDDE4124214C33B33758D0FA152C04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maesrichard1

miller82 wrote: »
    Anyone done much cycling in or around Killarney ?

Heading for the weeknd with the girlfriend. Not talking anything big..... sub 40kms

I've trained on every road pssible in Killarney. I live there and ive been racing bikes all my life. I agree with the gap of dunloe/moills gap but its hard terrain. I.E hilly and dangerous decents. On you way home you can cycle through muckross and dinis and take in the national park. Amazing in good weather.

I've trained on every road pssible in Killarney. I live there and ive been racing bikes all my life. I agree with the gap of dunloe/moills gap but its hard terrain. I.E hilly and dangerous decents. On you way home you can cycle through muckross and dinis and take in the national park. Amazing in good weather.

we went down last weekend, and did the above cycle........ nearly jeopardising the relationship :P
    a lot tougher than expected for the girlfriend. she was not a happy bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maesrichard1

miller82 wrote: »
    we went down last weekend, and did the above cycle........ nearly jeopardising the relationship :P
    a lot tougher than expected for the girlfriend. she was not a happy bunny

haha. Sorry i didnt notify you previously. there's is no easy way around it no matter what direction you go. Its nice scenery do and on a positive note, ye got fitter. Next time be more prepared :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Pmaldini wrote: »
    If you are using mountain or hybrid bike you could follow a lot of that route but when you go over tge gap of dunloe and head down into the black valley you can then cut through the park along the lake, its a decent gravel track approx 5-6 miles and you will come out on the kilarney side of molls, saves you climbing molls after hurting yourself on the gap:D

Can't find a decent map of the National Park's trails: would this be the Upper Lake it's detouring via? Is the track manageable on narrow tyres? Get off and push is always an option, I suppose!

Edit: I think I've found it. I think it's a section of the Kerry Way, running between Lord Brandon's Cottage and Galway's Bridge on the N71. Looks to be about 4K of walking trail, and about 1k of paved roadway off the Black Valley road and the cottage. PDF map from the Irish Trails website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Can't find a decent map of the National Park's trails: would this be the Upper Lake it's detouring via? Is the track manageable on narrow tyres? Get off and push is always an option, I suppose!

Edit: I think I've found it. I think it's a section of the Kerry Way, running between Lord Brandon's Cottage and Galway's Bridge on the N71. Looks to be about 4K of walking trail, and about 1k of paved roadway off the Black Valley road and the cottage. PDF map from the Irish Trails website.

That's it. Can be done on narrow tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Zen0 wrote: »
    That's it. Can be done on narrow tyres.

Excellent. Looks like a scenic route if the weather for it can be had. And the legs hold up...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

alaimacerc wrote: »

yes that's it as zen0 said and i have ridden it on my road bike when i just couldn't face going back over the mountains!!

Advertisement