Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

triumph spitfire

Options
  • 25-09-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a triumph spitfire or mgb gt, more inclined towards spitfire as it seems easier to work on, I notice they are scarce in this country often see photos from triumph owner runs, tons of tr 5 s 6s etc very few spittys are they all too rotten ,,,any opinions or advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

There are a few of them around. They used to turn up for sale regularly in the Classic section of D/Deal. Not sure about now though.
    The Spitfire would have a wider variety of engines and the spares available is excellent. However, the MGB spares situation is excellent also. The MGB GT would be cheaper to buy than it's roadster variant. I reckon all things being equal, a Spitfire (1300 or 1500) would be slightly cheaper to buy than an MGB roadster in equal condition.
    I reckon both would make a fine classic....after that it's probably down to which styling you prefer. How about a 3 litre MGC ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

1300 spitfire to 3 litre mgc is a big jump !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I think the MGC was only made for 2 years or so. Would be a cracker with that engine !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Check out the "Triumph Spitfire Total Rebuild" posted on here. It's both daunting and inspiring! I recently picked up an MGB GT for restoration as they seem to be more available and parts are freely available from "Just MG's" in Antrim.
    Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

dharn wrote: »
    tons of tr 5 s 6s etc

I know there are a few TR6s in the country but where in the name of Jaysus do you see all these TR5s?

Don't see that many Spits any more, they have surely gone somewhere. If the Triumph Owners club can't help you then you may have to travel.

http://www.tcoc.ie/

• Advertisement

sogood wrote: »
    Check out the "Triumph Spitfire Total Rebuild" posted on here. It's both daunting and inspiring! I recently picked up an MGB GT for restoration as they seem to be more available and parts are freely available from "Just MG's" in Antrim.
    Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.

Have been following it with huge intrest, would hope not have to buy 2 to get 1 good one !

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

For what its worth I would go for an MGB.
    I think a Spitfire is more comparable to an MG Midget.

The MGB is a great starter classic.
    They are strong cars with good performance and an excellent spares network.
    They can comfortably accommodate two people and they are eligible for all types of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

There is no doubt that the strength of the MG club scene and overall availability of parts has helped the survival of the MG marque in the classic car scene much more than Triumph. The sale of new bodyshells by British Motor Heritage was also a serious boost to the cars popularity.

As far as comparing the two makes, I have worked on a few MGBs and Midgets in the past and found them to be a fairly strong and reliable car once you sorted them out. I think that maybe the Triumphs may have been a softer car all round (engine and body) and may not have been quite so durable but I stand to be corrected on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I am thinking of getting a triumph spitfire or mgb gt, more inclined towards spitfire as it seems easier to work on, I notice they are scarce in this country often see photos from triumph owner runs, tons of tr 5 s 6s etc very few spittys are they all too rotten ,,,any opinions or advice ?

Hellooooooooo :D

So you wanna buy a Spitfire eh?? Mwahaha. Good choice! Now, leaving aside prices, condition etc, my thoughts are...

Before I got my Spitty I was like yourself, looking at either a Spit or an MGB GT (ideally with a slide back webaso roof) but, in reality theyre kind of a different beast. The Spitfire and Midget are more comparable but I wasn't on for a Midget at all; how do I say this politely? But, well, I think they're ugly! :P

When it came to the crunch what won it over for me was simply styling, I preferred the lines of the Spitty, as well as the interior over the MGB GT. Realistically I wouldn't be able to afford a pre '70 MG, even as a project and most that seem to be offered are early to mid 70's which aren't too bad style wise (still retain the chrome bumpers, reasonably nice interior, if a little ill layed out and leather effect seats) but from about '74 on the 'rubber bumpers' appear, the seats are mostly cloth, the dash gets simplified and finally in the latter years '77 on they really hit rock bottom; instruments and dials from other BL relics. MG cheaped out, now I know you can retro fit all these nice shiney chrome parts to the later MG's but, it all costs money.

Spitfires on the other hand retained almost the same styling right throughout, never really cheapened themselves and kept a very simple, no fuss simple design; these are the little things I like! :D Plus, they never had the horrid rubber bumpers, on this side of the pond anyway!

Some would class the MG's as 'tractors', they're pretty sturdy heavy units. But there's few cars that have the engine access that Spitfires do with the lifting bonnet! ;)

Both cars are incredibly well served with regards to spares. Mechanical parts were all pretty standard through the BL range so those bits are cheap as chips! Body panels on the other hand aint so cheap.

It really comes down to what does it for you? I'm not gonna bias you opinion, but, take a look at these pics and decide for yourself! :D

mgbgt.jpg

aveyard_spitfire_junkyard_940_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

I know of 2 spitfire "projects" near me neither will ever be finished & neither for sale either shame!

• Advertisement

Thanks croppy them oul mgs dont look half as nices as the spitfires

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know of 2 spitfire "projects" near me neither will ever be finished & neither for sale either shame!

ditto. One of my friends is at his 15yrs now....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ill take them off their hands for a fiver !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I had a Spitfire with a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder conversion - its a very nice car if you can get over the problems getting good quality parts and all those sharp edges when you're working under the dash....

(and assuming that you buy something structurally half decent to start with....)

Saw a nice gt6 on donedeal yesterday for 5500 it was sold today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Saw a nice gt6 on donedeal yesterday for 5500 it was sold today :(

That was never going to last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

This is my car, ive had it since 2005, the car was body off UK restoration from 2000 to 2004, the car was off the road for a couple of years here in Ireland, but now its back on the road again, and driving very well.Engine is strong, Unleaded conversion was done, new brake pads/shoes and braided hose done 2014,

i've replaced the rear spring and shocks, which is a problem with most spitfires as after 40 plus years of one driver normally the drivers side can sag more than the passengers.

major problem with spitfires is rust in the sills under the doors, and around/below the a pillar area. also there is a separate chassis under the car, get down under the car or get the car on a ramp and inspect. also where the front suspension is welded to the frame, look out of rust as this area is prone to break under cornering loads if rotten.

There are a few things that i have left to get my car right.

im in two minds whether or not to sell it. its like my other child! there are days (especially this summer we had) when i said "im keeping this car for life!".

but if you buy another and your in the Cork or south area,and you would like to meet up sometime for a drive or comparison. then let me know.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/triumph-spitfire/7707802 any thoughts on this one lads, I messaged him he says looks sound to me,... very sparing with details

you'd have to get up close and have a look under the car , under the doors sills , door lines at the bottom look like there sticking out a bit more then norma and around the bonnet to drivers door gap looks bigger than normal, but if you look at mine the bonnet to door line is also big but that looks bigger.

get him to take pictures under the bonnet at the engine and chassis if possible and if he can lift up carpets around the footwell and sills, maybe boot bottom also would be nice to get pics of them also before travelling.

good price, but could cost you 1000s to get it up to standards if things are wrong.

worth a look if he sends you pics of details.

I'd say you have a bit of work ahead of you, look at the door 'shut lines' in pictures 3 & 4.

'Priced to sell' will always raise alarms, but then you don't know unless you see it in the flesh, take a spin at the w'end and have a look.

• Advertisement

just spotted its missing chrome ( or black) trim over both sides of the top of wings to the door , i smell a recent respray maybe? also bring a magnet and check for filler, expect some to be honest in old cars, but not too much that the magnet falls off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Well I'm going to call a spade a spade and say it looks rough! Panel gaps on the doors and bonnet are all over the place, I'd steer clear.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7850726
    Triumph Spitfire 1968 Run and drive

This one however I know and I know the owner. He works on classic cars for a living and it's an honest car. It might require a little more work than you're after but at least you'd know what you're getting, plus it has the more pretty early rear light treatment.

second car also looks rough tbh, but also hard to tell from photos, new softtop goes without saying, that car is rarer and possibly worth more than the spitfire 1500, but the same checks apply for both, sills, door gaps, chassis, etc. good thing is both cars are in Wexford, so you could look at both at the same time

found this video on youtube from edd china of wheeler dealers, some good advice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muF-Y533blM

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    second car also looks rough tbh, but also hard to tell from photos, new softtop goes without saying, that car is rarer and possibly worth more than the spitfire 1500, but the same checks apply for both, sills, door gaps, chassis, etc. good thing is both cars are in Wexford, so you could look at both at the same time

found this video on youtube from edd china of wheeler dealers, some good advice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muF-Y533blM

It may look rough alright but as u said it's honest, not something tarted up for a quick sale.

Thanks lads for all the helpful comments, what does good on the rod mean !:confused: second ad

Road?

Mk3 would be a better bet, much prefer them and are a nicer looking car. Had one briefly that I stuck twin webbers on.....that was fun on the rod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Hi

Personally I think the Triumph / MG thing is a personal one, both carry their own values and personal taste. Both have great parts and club support.

As for seeing many TR5’s I doubt it as I only know of 1 - TR5 and 1 - TR250 (Carb USA version of the 5) in Ireland, maybe you are mixing up the TR4 which shared the same body as the 5 a few cosmetic differences visually but the main one is 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines.

There are plenty of Spitfires in country but they seem to spilt between many multi marque clubs of late as well as “Triumph owners” club, I do agree one doesn’t see as many on the Triumph runs but there are plenty within the club itself. I don’t think they have all rusted away and some very smart ones around.

There are 3 main clubs which cater for Triumph and MG in Ireland,

1) MGEC Ireland, which covers all of the MG Marque and even modern,
    2) TR Register Ireland (Irish branch of TR REGISTER) purely cater for the TR range TR2 –TR8
    3) Triumph Classic owners club which cover the entire range of the Triumph marques Saloons – Sports cars
    4) Then there are all the multi marque clubs, which can be great in many respects from having the variety of cars on runs / events.

All of these club offer great support and advice to their members.

As the saying goes the choice is your 

Thanks oki love your stag btw:) you are correct about the 5 meant to say 4

• Advertisement

Advertisement