Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbey Park, Ferrybank, Waterford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Sully wrote: »
    Lots of rumours been floating around over the last few months, the above isn't the only case of mistaken identity.

Why are a small selection in various areas that bothered if they install meters that they go to all the trouble of abusing both physically and verbally the people who are actually working and making a living? There still getting billed regardless of whether they have a meter or not and I somehow doubt if they get a bill there going to just sigh and pay up?

It's ignorant and thuggish, scummy behaviour the way workers are being treated for doing a job they are being paid to do so they can make a living and contribute to their local economy and the broader economy too. It's taken a court case to slap some protesters on the wrist.

Out of interest sully, where did you get the information from that it was only protestors doing the bullying?
    Was it videos from IW you saw? Stories from other people? Or where you there and actually witness this one sides intimidation you convay?
    Was it billy McCarthy who had no problem letting an IW employee on his show to spread the word but wouldn't allow someone with a difference of opinion on for their view?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The biggest problem with half the people involved in this is that they have very little clue what they're protesting about, apart from the vaguesness of "boo, charges" coupled with the rowdy rabble that generally just like a bit of ruckus.

Anyone who starts harassing people doing a job like that let their own side down and should take a long hard look at themselves. Anyone harassing people who aren't even from/contracted to Irish Water deserve a smack down for their ignorance. Then again, by the time someone gets there they'll probably have moved on hunting down a paedeatrician that has moved in to the area..

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The biggest problem with half the people involved in this is that they halve very little clue what they're protesting about, apart from the vaguesness of "boo, charges" coupled with the rowdy rabble that generally just like a bit of ruckus.

Anyone who starts harassing people doing a job like that let their own side down and should take a long hard look at themselves. Anyone harassing people who aren't even from/contracted to Irish Water deserve a smack down for their ignorance. Then again, by the time someone gets there they'll probably have moved on hunting down a paedeatrician that has moved in to the area..

You failed to mention the fact that they, a proven private company, want to smash up the foot path outside their residence without permission.
    Its not as cut and dry as your portraying, the water quality is destroying their very pricey appliances and now they may end up paying three times for the same quality.

This is actually pretty mild compared to what happend last time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hijpo wrote: »
    Its not as cut and dry as your portraying, the water quality is destroying their very pricey appliances and now they may end up paying three times for the same quality.

I've heard numerous claims that the water is unsafe to drink, thing is...its just hard water.

Its naturally occurring in the area, hell its naturally occurring in most of Kilkenny....hell, most of Ireland & England.

hardwateruk.gif

I myself have lived in a hard water area for decades, its certainly not unsafe to drink.

There are ways of removing the lime, water softeners using salt is one way.

But this actually does have downsides and treated water of this nature is not recommended for small children. (I've heard this from several water softener installers).

Treated water containing salt also isn't great for plants and can built up in soil with extended use.

From my own experience, a water softner is the best long term solution to hard water. It will extend the life of appliances, heating pipes etc. When getting one fitted its best to install a separate drinking water (untreated tap) esp if you have children.

It also removes the need to use silly things like Calgon tablets which are expensive for what they do, a bag of salt for a water softner will cost around 6.50-7.50 and lasts 4-6 weeks.

Now I suppose residents could claim they should get water that isn't hard water, but then that limits the area's the water can be obtained from so this means you can't have everybody getting water from a non hard water area. Its just not workable.

In addition if you want the water treated before it reaches your home their are increased costs associated with this and potentially downsides depending on how its treated. No doubt you'll also have people unhappy with the treatment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've heard numerous claims that the water is unsafe to drink, thing is...its just hard water.

Its naturally occurring in the area, hell its naturally occurring in most of Kilkenny....hell, most of Ireland & England.

hardwateruk.gif

I myself have lived in a hard water area for decades, its certainly not unsafe to drink.

There are ways of removing the lime, water softeners using salt is one way.

But this actually does have downsides and treated water of this nature is not recommended for small children. (I've heard this from several water softener installers).

Treated water containing salt also isn't great for plants and can built up in soil with extended use.

From my own experience, a water softner is the best long term solution to hard water. It will extend the life of appliances, heating pipes etc. When getting one fitted its best to install a separate drinking water (untreated tap) esp if you have children.

It also removes the need to use silly things like Calgon tablets which are expensive for what they do, a bag of salt for a water softner will cost around 6.50-7.50 and lasts 4-6 weeks.

Now I suppose residents could claim they should get water that isn't hard water, but then that limits the area's the water can be obtained from so this means you can't have everybody getting water from a non hard water area. Its just not workable.

In addition if you want the water treated before it reaches your home their are increased costs associated with this and potentially downsides depending on how its treated. No doubt you'll also have people unhappy with the treatment,

I have no doubt its safe to drink, its the cost of it that's the issue with some residents. The poster I replied to was making out that the reason people were protesting was because of the simple reason of it being a charge, its actually a lot more then that. It all just comes across as another lazy argument in favour of metering.

If Phil hogan won't pay his charges in Portugal for services he's not happy with then why should the people here be forced to pay three times for a service that falls under phils own reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

If people dont want water from the state then get your own. Sink a well in your garden, buy in the shop, harvast it from the sky, whatever.

I dont see the point in preventing contractors from doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Lots of rumours been floating around over the last few months, the above isn't the only case of mistaken identity.

Why are a small selection in various areas that bothered if they install meters that they go to all the trouble of abusing both physically and verbally the people who are actually working and making a living? There still getting billed regardless of whether they have a meter or not and I somehow doubt if they get a bill there going to just sigh and pay up?

It's ignorant and thuggish, scummy behaviour the way workers are being treated for doing a job they are being paid to do so they can make a living and contribute to their local economy and the broader economy too. It's taken a court case to slap some protesters on the wrist.

Totally agree with everything you are saying there Sully, appalling the pictures & videos showing the way the workers are being treated, they are only being paid at the end of the day to do a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I have been to a number of meetings on this and the most emphasised point is to have a peaceful protest. Turn your back and do not listen to the provocation from Irish Water workers. You have obviously not heard the comments from IW employees. They are targeting the women in the hope of provoking the men who have NOT responded. Have you actually seen this "ignorant thuggish" behaviour from the residents. I doubt it but your still happy to write it like its a fact.

Your innuendo that the people protesting are unemployed and stopping people making a living is a low undignified comment not based on fact.

One of the reasons residents are protesting is because the water we have is crap. It has a massive concentration of lime in it. At 260ppm it’s greatly above the recommended EU level of 120ppm. However Ireland is one of the only countries not to sign up to the agreement to get supplies to the agreed level yet. It does not have to start work fixing this problem until Jan 2016.

I have had to pay €650 for a water softener to stop my shower, dishwasher, heating, washing machine and pipes getting destroyed. You then have circa €10-15 per month on salt to soften it, €120 per annum on water filters and €80 per annum service charge coming to a yearly total of €380. Now they want circa another €400. We pay for our water through taxes as it is. If I now start paying again who can argue that I'm not paying 3 times for some of the worst water in the country.

Furthermore the lime problem as per Irish Water’s press release on Wednesday is not their problem and one that the council have to address. Years of trying to get them to fix the problem has resulted in no action at all. So I have to now pay more to a company to supply crap water that they say won’t be there quality issue to solve.

What would you do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

This video is up on youtube a few weeks, which shows with the way the water meters are being installed anyone can tamper with the water supply by the new access point after the meter being installed.

• Advertisement

er1983 wrote: »
    Totally agree with everything you are saying there Sully, appalling the pictures & videos showing the way the workers are being treated, they are only being paid at the end of the day to do a job

If you wanted to you could also view videos of the installers antagonising the residents who know they do not have to accept the meters.
    The installers get paid there weekly wage whether the meters go in or not so no point putting on the poor mouth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thomasm wrote: »
    Have you actually seen this "ignorant thuggish" behaviour from the residents.

Not first hand, but they have been nice enough to record a sample for us all to see.

Frankly the behavior from the people in this video towards the workers is bullying, plain and simple.

You wouldn't let children do it to other children in schools. Yet somehow these people think its acceptable to treat other adults in this manner?

They have every right to protest and I'm all for a peaceful protest, as I said they have their right. But stuff like this is harassment and thats something no worker in any industry should have to put up with.

if you worked in say a mobile phone shop and people came in and acted like that you'd expect them to be told to get out, if they refused you'd rightly expect the Gardai to be called. If I worked in a company and people did this to me I'd certainly want something done about it.,

I have had to pay €650 for a water softener to stop my shower, dishwasher, heating, washing machine and pipes getting destroyed. You then have circa €10-15 per month on salt to soften it, €120 per annum on water filters and €80 per annum service charge coming to a yearly total of €380.

You must have an awful lot of people in your home and/or your buying awful expensive salt for that softener. You can get a 25kg bag of salt for as low as 6.50e, though to be fair if you don't shop around you can pay as much as 10e a bag,

As for the water filters, I'm assuming you have filters for your untreated water? Or is this something your water softener actually requires in addition to the salt? Just curious really

I will say you did well on the water softener, mine cost me 950e back when i got it. ;)

Furthermore the lime problem as per Irish Water’s press release on Wednesday is not their problem and one that the council have to address. Years of trying to get them to fix the problem has resulted in no action at all. So I have to now pay more to a company to supply crap water that they say won’t be there quality issue to solve.

What would you do ?

err, protest outside the council offices maybe?

If it is actually councils problem then protesting and stopping Irish Water workers is unlikely to do anything.

Not first hand, but they have been nice enough to record a sample for us all to see.

Frankly the behavior from the people in this video towards the workers is bullying, plain and simple.

Why are you posting a video from dublin in a thread about ferrybank?

Thats pretty low and very silly.

Why are you posting a video from dublin in a thread about ferrybank?

Thats pretty low.

I'm merely giving an example of what Irish Water Workers have had to put up with, when you consider this you can't really blame them for going on the defensive when a protest starts up beside them.

Sure its a job, but as I said nobody should have to fear abuse like that.

I never suggested it was recorded in Waterford and its clear as day that it wasn't in Waterford based on the Dublin accents.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

If people dont want water from the state then get your own. Sink a well in your garden, buy in the shop, harvast it from the sky, whatever.

I dont see the point in preventing contractors from doing their job.

People aren,t getting water for free, currently taxpayers are paying 1.2 billion towards providing water.

I'm merely giving an example of what Irish Water Workers have had to put up with, when you consider this you can't really blame them for going on the defensive when a protest starts up beside them.

Sure its a job, but as I said nobody should have to fear abuse like that.

I never suggested it was recorded in Waterford and its clear as day that it wasn't in Waterford based on the Dublin accents.
    :rolleyes:

What are you using the rolleye emoticon?

Your the one posted a video of something that happend in dublin in a post about ferrybank to bolster an argument that the IW in ferrybank are being bullied. You didnt have to suggest it, its placement is enough.

Now, in an other video thats actually from ferrybank you can see an IW installer blatently blowing smoke from his cigarette into the face of a peaceful protester standing beside him, obviously trying to provoke a reaction. One that he did not get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

You wouldn't let children do it to other children in schools. Yet somehow these people think its acceptable to treat other adults in this manner?

They have every right to protest and I'm all for a peaceful protest, as I said they have their right. But stuff like this is harassment and thats something no worker in any industry should have to put up with.

if you worked in say a mobile phone shop and people came in and acted like that you'd expect them to be told to get out, if they refused you'd rightly expect the Gardai to be called. If I worked in a company and people did this to me I'd certainly want something done about it.,

You must have an awful lot of people in your home and/or your buying awful expensive salt for that softener. You can get a 25kg bag of salt for as low as 6.50e, though to be fair if you don't shop around you can pay as much as 10e a bag,

As for the water filters, I'm assuming you have filters for your untreated water? Or is this something your water softener actually requires in addition to the salt? Just curious really

I will say you did well on the water softener, mine cost me 950e back when i got it. ;)

err, protest outside the council offices maybe?

If it is actually councils problem then protesting and stopping Irish Water workers is unlikely to do anything.

We are talking about Ferrybank, not Dublin.

Have 3 kids and a decent amount of usage, that's how much I pay and I have no idea about how much salt various softeners use above another so not sure if we are comparing like with like.

There has been numerous meetings and discussions with councils and politicians on this issue. It's KK county council and their answer has always been its safe to drink and that's all that matters. They don't care about the lime and have acknowledged the issues it causes with appliances but say it's up to residents to get a softener. This attitude will change only in 2016 when legislation changes and they can't hide behind it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

If you wanted to you could also view videos of the installers antagonising the residents who know they do not have to accept the meters.
    The installers get paid there weekly wage whether the meters go in or not so no point putting on the poor mouth.

I am merely stating that they get paid to their job just like anyone else. They shouldn't have to put up with the abuse just like any other worker out there trying to make a living which is very hard to do in these times. If people have a problem with the charges then go protest to the people who set up Irish Water and not the ordinary workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was there yesterday and Tuesday, it was extremely peaceful. I saluted Sierra on the way in and out without issue.

I am furious at this black hole for money being set up at a time when there are 'no' funds available for vital services. I am furious at the special powers this 'company' will have. It is not just another utility.
    The vast majority of meters are to be installed adjacent to homes with a smaller amount on homeowners' properties.

The company charged with collecting fees for water from more than 1.3 million households will have sweeping powers to collect information about households from the Revenue Commissioners, Department of Social Protection and other state agencies.

Details of how Irish Water will operate emerged last night in the Water Services Bill 2013.

The bill is expected to go through the Houses of the Oireachtas within three months, allowing it to begin charging for water from January next year.

The publication of the bill comes after the Irish Independent yesterday revealed that homeowners face average bills of €370 a year.

The Government plans to collect €500m a year from households, which will be used to meet the cost of providing water.

However, there is concern that the new company will not be covered under the Freedom of Information Act, which was sharply criticised by Fianna Fail last night.

FF spokesman on Public Expenditure and Reform Sean Fleming said it was a "glaring omission that must be addressed".

"The public have a right to know how this company will operate, the costs it will incur and the charges and rationale for the charging scheme it will be levelling on the public. For this to be guaranteed, Irish Water must come under the remit of Freedom of Information," he said.

The Water Services Bill also removes the ban on charging for domestic water and says that charges will not be introduced before January 1 next year.

Other provisions include:

* Irish Water will be established as a subsidiary of Bord Gais. One share will be held by Bord Gais, and the remaining shares split between the Minister for the Environment and Minister for Finance.

* It will be responsible for installing meters, and can prosecute households that refuse to allow access to property or fail to provide information.

* It can also install pipes, without seeking planning permission and interrupt a water supply.

* It can borrow up to €500m.

* The Commission for Energy Regulation will set the prices, and advise on policy.

The bill will be published today.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/owners-who-block-water-meters-face-penalties-of-up-to-5000-28956917.html#sthash.kSmM1Wew.dpuf

All of the promises made about fixing leaks / having an allowance for illness' etc have failed to materialise. Its only a matter of time before the company is sold to bolster state funds and the floodgates will open.

There are 3 months left for politicians to veto this bill and I hope that is what will happen.

I am merely stating that they get paid to their job just like anyone else. They shouldn't have to put up with the abuse just like any other worker out there trying to make a living which is very hard to do in these times. If people have a problem with the charges then go protest to the people who set up Irish Water and not the ordinary workers.

No one said its OK to insult people doing the work. however sullys post, which you agree fully with, only told of how the workers are being treated with complete disregard of how IW are treating the residents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All of the promises made about fixing leaks / having an allowance for illness' etc have failed to materialise. Its only a matter of time before the company is sold to bolster state funds and the floodgates will open.

One wonders how many utility companies people making these criticisms have set up from scratch before.

I'll go out on a limb and guess none. It's a colossal undertaking..and whether pro or anti water charges, I don't think people realise that getting as much as they have done, in the time frame they've done it is actually impressive from a logistical point of view.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    One wonders how many utility companies people making these criticisms have set up from scratch before.

I'll go out on a limb and guess none. It's a colossal undertaking..and whether pro or anti water charges, I don't think people realise that getting as much as they have done, in the time frame they've done it is actually impressive from a logistical point of view.

They have certainly thrown enough money at it to get it this far. maybe gyms, salaries, bonus structures and laughing yoga are just rich peoples priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The Nazi's had the same line after the war.
    "We were only following orders"

When I see posts such as these it's makes me sad to be Irish!
    Is it any wonder it took us 800 years to gain independence from England:(.
    We have to meet it head on regardless of who is at the front line.
    Another tax & another increase to follow if these ever get installed.
    41% dirt tax on your savings. Money put away for a rainy day!
    It won't end & they'll chip & chip away at it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shinzon wrote: »
    Two sides to every coin Sully, protestors aren't the only ones acting thuggish and scummish, my niece was part of the protests in Ferrybank (peaceful I might add) and the Irish Water workers were intimidating the protestors pushing and shoving them and whispering in there ears some very foul stuff.

in the videos that are posted on FB you can see one of the workers telling the digger operator to move forward whilst there were protestors right in front of it, so I think its vastly unfair to paint a one sided picture like that when its simply not the truth for the most part. Also don't misunderstand me anyone whether protestor or worker who engages in this should be hauled up before the courts, but I just wanted to counter balance the argument.

Shin
    Out of interest sully, where did you get the information from that it was only protestors doing the bullying?
    Was it videos from IW you saw? Stories from other people? Or where you there and actually witness this one sides intimidation you convay?
    Was it billy McCarthy who had no problem letting an IW employee on his show to spread the word but wouldn't allow someone with a difference of opinion on for their view?
    You failed to mention the fact that they, a proven private company, want to smash up the foot path outside their residence without permission.

This is actually pretty mild compared to what happend last time.

Not first hand but there are numerous videos and recordings floating around from the protesters - not Irish Water - showing their level of a 'peaceful' protest. Pulling down barriers, obstructing vehicles, robbing equipment (as was done in Ferrybank), shouting abuse, being intimidated and so on so forth. Hence why this was before the High Court in recent days. That's why the Gardai are on sight, not for the craic like.

Now I have no doubt that some Irish Water works are far from peaceful themselves, but I take it there just fed up and retaliating seeing as the hassle and abuse they get for just doing their jobs. Not condoning it by any means.
    thomasm wrote: »
    I have been to a number of meetings on this and the most emphasised point is to have a peaceful protest. Turn your back and do not listen to the provocation from Irish Water workers. You have obviously not heard the comments from IW employees. They are targeting the women in the hope of provoking the men who have NOT responded. Have you actually seen this "ignorant thuggish" behaviour from the residents. I doubt it but your still happy to write it like its a fact.

It's fact when there are NUMEROUS videos online and a High Court proceeding against a number of protesters. Nobody is making it up - there is hard facts straight in front of us.
    Your innuendo that the people protesting are unemployed and stopping people making a living is a low undignified comment not based on fact.

Not what I was implying at all, you chose to pick it up that way.
    One of the reasons residents are protesting is because the water we have is crap. It has a massive concentration of lime in it. At 260ppm it’s greatly above the recommended EU level of 120ppm. However Ireland is one of the only countries not to sign up to the agreement to get supplies to the agreed level yet. It does not have to start work fixing this problem until Jan 2016.

I have had to pay €650 for a water softener to stop my shower, dishwasher, heating, washing machine and pipes getting destroyed. You then have circa €10-15 per month on salt to soften it, €120 per annum on water filters and €80 per annum service charge coming to a yearly total of €380. Now they want circa another €400. We pay for our water through taxes as it is. If I now start paying again who can argue that I'm not paying 3 times for some of the worst water in the country.

What would you do ?

Well I wouldn't be happy paying for it, so I would probably refuse to pay. But I wouldn't go out and protest. Like in many parts of the country eircom broadband is crap, but you don't see people roaring and abusing the technicians working on the lines or coming to your house to see if they can fix it. But people still pay full price for ****e BB - same price as if you were getting the royals royce of BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Is Abbey Park not in kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Not first hand but there are numerous videos and recordings floating around from the protesters - not Irish Water - showing their level of a 'peaceful' protest. Pulling down barriers, obstructing vehicles, robbing equipment (as was done in Ferrybank), shouting abuse, being intimidated and so on so forth. Hence why this was before the High Court in recent days. That's why the Gardai are on sight, not for the craic like.

And hence why I said at the end of my post that anyone engaged in such activity should be hauled up in front of the courts, there sort of help is not needed I agree with you there. But for every video showing the protestors being idiots theres just the same amount the other way around and everyone should not be painted with the same brush that was all I was saying

Shin

Now I have no doubt that some Irish Water works are far from peaceful themselves, but I take it there just fed up and retaliating seeing as the hassle and abuse they get for just doing their jobs. Not condoning it by any means.

It's fact when there are NUMEROUS videos online and a High Court proceeding against a number of protesters. Nobody is making it up - there is hard facts straight in front of us.

Not what I was implying at all, you chose to pick it up that way.

Well I wouldn't be happy paying for it, so I would probably refuse to pay. But I wouldn't go out and protest. Like in many parts of the country eircom broadband is crap, but you don't see people roaring and abusing the technicians working on the lines or coming to your house to see if they can fix it. But people still pay full price for ****e BB - same price as if you were getting the royals royce of BB.

See now isnt it easier to just accept and admit that protesters are not all thuggish scumbags as your first post suggested?
    Well done sully, you've taken the first step towards an unbiased view, keep it up champ ;-)

Its laughable that you would compare water supply to broadband. Broadband does not cake your 200 euro phone in limescale or leave a manky after taste in your mouth when your finished talking to someone. The people do not want to be metered and charged for water and will do anything to halt its progress. I can condone stopping the meters but not by the measures used by some.

BB and water lol

Also if you could show evidence that the ferry bank protesters stole those barriers it would be great. I've often seen people yellow carded for speculative accusations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The people do not want to be metered and charged for water.

Oh really? And these people would be who exactly? Am i and the majority of people involved in this thread not part of that little group you have made up?

Oh really? And these people would be who exactly? Am i and the majority of people involved in this thread not part of that little group you have made up?

The people that are protesting? Maybe?
    What little group have I made up?

Can you explain what offendes you in my post please because I'm detecting some hostility there.

If you think I'm putting you in the thuggish group I'm not, whatever it takes for people that don't want meters in they will do it. Whether it be stopping them unloading a digger or sitting on the stopcock cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The people that are protesting? Maybe?
    What little group have I made up?

Can you explain what offendes you in my post please because I'm detecting some hostility there.

If you think I'm putting you in the thuggish group I'm not, whatever it takes for people that don't want meters in they will do it. Whether it be stopping them unloading a digger or sitting on the stopcock cover.

Okay i will ask first why this group of louts who just give everyone dirty looks as they drive into or walk into estates in Ferrybank think they represent me? Why are they not just blocking their own individual install?

Also why do they think its ok to have their 4 year olds playing on the main road causing people to have to creep past to dodge them?

Advertisement