Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perform action on receipt of an email

Options
  • 25-09-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi I get an email into my outlook every day.

I was wondering if anyone had a vbscript or a batch file that could automate an action on receipt of this email?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Hi I get an email into my outlook every day.

I was wondering if anyone had a vbscript or a batch file that could automate an action on receipt of this email?

Google is your friend..
    Basically, write the code in VBA, and create rules in outlook.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/306108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Thanks for the input, but it's not specifically just rules, the vb script would require the ability to automate the movement the mouse and click outside of the email client.

Thanks for the input, but it's not specifically just rules, the vb script would require the ability to automate the movement the mouse and click outside of the email client.

I can see very few instances where any program would want to take control of the mouse.

Anyway, vba won't do that.

(fyi, the more info you give, the more likely you are to get a helpful response)

I'm behind a firewall at work so I'm unable to get at these mouse controller programs.

I'm trying to automate specific tasks, like check email, on receipt of email, tick a box on a jobsheet, copying and pasting in a comment etc.

Or something as simple as clocking in to my computer and pressing a button, I got pretty far with this on vb but the last button is a hidden button so I can't reference it to click it.

• Advertisement

I'm behind a firewall at work so I'm unable to get at these mouse controller programs.

I'm trying to automate specific tasks, like check email, on receipt of email, tick a box on a jobsheet, copying and pasting in a comment etc.

Or something as simple as clocking in to my computer and pressing a button, I got pretty far with this on vb but the last button is a hidden button so I can't reference it to click it.

For the "tick a box on a jobsheet".. this can be done through vba assuming the jobsheet is an excel spreadsheet. Similarly copying and pasting comments can be done through VBA into word or excel.

As for clocking in to your computer or control the mouse, you won't be able to do this through VBA and the outlook rules won't allow you to use VB or other scripts.

tenifan wrote: »
    For the "tick a box on a jobsheet".. this can be done through vba assuming the jobsheet is an excel spreadsheet. Similarly copying and pasting comments can be done through VBA into word or excel.

As for clocking in to your computer or control the mouse, you won't be able to do this through VBA and the outlook rules won't allow you to use VB or other scripts.

The tick the box is through a web based interface, so I'm not sure if I could get it that accurate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're looking for hints on navigating through the site using a script, you might want to try the Selenium plugin for Firefox, and the Selenium IDE.

You can navigate through the website using a browser with the mouse and it'll create a script that you can replay, or investigate for the method that it's using to select the webform's buttons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The tick the box is through a web based interface, so I'm not sure if I could get it that accurate...

If the button on the page is just a HTTP POST/GET you can do that from a batch file by just opening explorer.exe with the correct URL.

Advertisement