Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A mandolin that actuallly works.... ANYONE?!

Options
  • 25-09-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I need a decent mandolin in my life.
    I have one that was €30 from Arnotts. It does a very sub standard job..
    I also do not know how the hell I still have fingers left as it's so dangerous to use. The safety thing on it is useless.

I'm saving up for a food processor, does a food processor cut mandolin slices?!

Or should I bite the bullet and invest in a good Mandolin..
    Anyone have a Mandolin that makes light work of slicing!?

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

i bought my mandolin from a shop that suppies restuarants/hotels etc. I found it great but paid £75 for it. The shop is not longer there though but I am sure if you contact some catering supplies places they can help. The Guard in it is very good but I still wrap my hand in a towel while using it. (I have a bit of a phobia about getting my fingers cut!)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Cheers.
    Will have a look this weekend.
    I like to hear people's opinions on certain ones as I've bought so many duds over the years..

Oh, how I long for thinly sliced tomatos and sweet potatos and beetroot... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Sorry the boxes on mine is long gone so cannot advise you of the brand name. Hopefully some other people will be a bit more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you find out, please let me know as well.

I've got a food processor, but don't always want to break that out for some sliced cucumber to put in a salad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I have the OXO one, it's only £10 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

I got a MasterClass Mandoline (see kitchencraft.co.uk for more details) as a gift.

The effort to set it up and clean it afterwards is so time-consuming that I find it's only worthwhile if you want to slice large quantities of vegetables.

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have the same one.

this is it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Grips-Hand-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B000YDO2LG/

it's okay, but a mandolin (any mandolin) is one of those things that will try and kill you at every opportunity, they are bloodthirsty little buggers and add to that that any of the OXO tools I've bought have also been very good at their jobs, but that means they are ridiculously sharp and will take any opportunity to slice you up as well as your food, so mandolin + OXO = murderous rampage machine! :eek:

in summary, yes it's good (for a tenner) but I'm (mostly) too scared to use it. :o

seriously, i got a few different tools including the easy peeler and julienne peeler and have cut myself more times than I care to mention, including (the first time I used it) slicing a large section of my thumb off, including about 1/4 of the nail and nail bed over xmas with the easy peeler, which was no fun at all. :mad:

that said, it is a BRILLIANT peeler and you can peel pretty much anything with ease (butternut squash and turnip spring to mind), quickly and with almost no effort at all, but they really don't discriminate and you're just another vegetable as far as they are concerned!

in summary, yes it's great if you're brave/stupid enough to use it! :D

Maybe I should get one of those Oxo ones from amazon and one of those gloves that supposedly protect you from losing your fingaaahs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Maybe I should get one of those Oxo ones from amazon and one of those gloves that supposedly protect you from losing your fingaaahs!

One of those chainmail ones?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are that worried about cutting yourself, get a good food processor, the good ones have either adjustable slicing blades or various depths of cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

How did you cut yourself with the OXO one? It has a guard that you hold the veg with.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Ponster wrote: »

Looks great. WHere did you buy it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

How did you cut yourself with the OXO one? It has a guard that you hold the veg with.

i haven't actually cut myself with the oxo mandolin, just with the easy peeler and the julienne peeler over xmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

rustyzip wrote: »
    Looks great. WHere did you buy it from?

in the UK from Lakeland. I'll see if I can find it on Amazon...

Advertisement