Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you miss Derek Mooney?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Where has this story come from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

He's staff, isn't he? He'll be around till 65 or 66 annoying people till then.

If it is true and he is indeed going, it doesn't really change anything.
    He'll be replaced by some other irritating RTE insider - McAnally, Shay Byrne, Blathnidge.
    Brenda Donoghue will still be on and the 'back of a fag box' production will still be to the fore.

White noise for two hours would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I thought he was like Joe "circus" Duffy and married to Montrose for life? In fact he is a full time RTE employee and can't be got rid of! whether he decides himself to leave or not is entirely up to himself but he will hardly be missed as he is only on his own show a few days a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

The only reason i can see RTE would have for removing Mooney from afternoons would be to create a vacancy for the return of Tubridy to R1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Absolutely not......I would take very careful aim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

He'll still be working in rté.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

I miss him when he takes his 45 holidays a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He's on Irish radio? No, I wouldn't miss him. I don't listen to irish radio. I use TuneIn. Gives me access to good radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If I did I'd reload and try again.

Cant stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Where has this story come from ?

The indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Get rid of RTE completely, it's dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ahem.

It's Mr. Derek Mooney.

And yes. Yes I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Like a hole in the head!!! He is unlistenable rubbish for the entire afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Where will we get our Eurovision and Jedward news from now? This is thoroughly depressing on an already dull day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

BuhbYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEE

And don't let the door.... etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Where will we get our Eurovision and Jedward news from now? This is thoroughly depressing on an already dull day.

Or panto season news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Or panto season news.

Or singing in the shower?

Good riddance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This reminds me of the time Marian Finucane's Monday to Friday programme in the mornings was axed.

People were calling it the 'end of an era' and other such nonsense. Joe led the tributes with an entire programme of Liveline given over to the big news and paraded caller after caller to relay their sorrow that Marian wouldn't be there in the mornings anymore.

Duffy of course nearly choked on his own sychophantic superlatives in his gushing admiration for one of the great 'stars' of RTÉ.

Meanwhile, Marzie continues to present her hugely popular show at the weekends now instead and is as much a presence on the airwaves as she ever was, commanding a huge salary to boot. (But we won't go into that now as the mouse said to the trap.)

Marian hasn't gone away you know. Neither is Derek Mooney. I wish him the best of luck in his new departure and congratulations to him on getting a job in an area he has a passion for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But who will watch the birdies for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

NIMAN wrote: »
    But who will watch the birdies for us!

I am sure Eanna and Brek will line up something for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

signostic wrote: »
    I am sure Eanna and Brek will line up something for themselves

Richard won't freeze either, what with the amount of hot air he spouts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Birds don’t recognise boarders, nor should we

Christ, with that kind of insight, R1 will be loosing one of its keenest minds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"Birds don't recognise borders"

They also don't recognise Gay marriage, what's his point?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"Birds don't recognise borders"

They also don't recognise Gay marriage, what's his point?

In the interest of balance, Mr Mooney & RTE would like to point out that some penguins have been observed acting in a manner consistent with homosexuality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I would not miss Mooney, per se, although I do think that he is very good with Wildlife and Nature, however I would really hate for that muppet, Brenda, to get the full time gig. She was a pain in the arse with Gerry, and then she became a pain in the arse on Mooney.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

When I find myself listening to derek mooney, I get depressed and that critical little voicecin my head comes back saying how did my life come to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No. I haven't listened Mon-Thurs for ages and ages, for reasons suggested above. Still tune into the Friday show. Will probably follow it to the weekend. (if that happens.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I like the show, especially the nature stuff but not particularly Derek or Brenda. Depending on who replaces Derek, it will hopefully survive in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

The popular radio host will take up a position as Executive Producer across nature and wildlife programming.

Mooney Goes Wild on RTÉ Radio 1 will air at weekends, and Derek will continue to produce content on radio and TV including a new nature strand on Radio 1 which will air in autumn 2015, and nature features for TV.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/derek-mooney-quitting-radio-show-to-become-wildlife-executive-30798733.html

Following in the footsteps of maid Marian...

First planning meeting for the new show, Mooney "now staff how can we link our new Saturday morning wildlife show to Louis Walsh, Jedward, The Eurovision, gay marriage and Mary Byrne...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

signostic wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/derek-mooney-quitting-radio-show-to-become-wildlife-executive-30798733.html

Following in the footsteps of maid Marian...

First planning meeting for the new show, Mooney "now staff how can we link our new Saturday morning wildlife show to Louis Walsh, Jedward, The Eurovision, gay marriage and Mary Byrne...

And just like Marian at the time of her switch to weekends, he'll probably get a pay rise for working reduced hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Great job he has landed,whats his expertise in wildlife anyway or is it something he fell in to and people think he is brilliant at it?wink.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Overweening vanity, a serial interrupter and ladyboy subjects - whats not to like ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I dont mind Mooney himself. I think he brings a different fresh approach and view to some subjects. Its the pack of hangers on he drags around with him that annoy me. Self important self appointed experts that must be pulling in a small fortune for doing very very little. Mooney could have done with a strong producer who was able to detatch them from their cash cow. I certainly wont miss them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Montefiore

Not really. I moved over to Moncrieff a few years ago.

Sean can occasionally veer towards insufferable liberal territory, but for the most part it is a really lovely radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Ray D’Arcy is leaving Today FM for RTÉ
    D’Arcy will take over the slot vacated by Derek Mooney from 3pm on weekdays from 2 February

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

I'm baffled at how long it took rte to realise Mooneys program was dreadful

joe6pack wrote: »
    I would say they knew all right,they just had to wait for a producer or executive position to come up to reward him for his mediocrity,thats the way they roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Bear in mind that it was Mooney himself that wanted out... RTE seemed to be happy enough with him and that Foghorn O'Donohue....I wonder does that mean that Brenda will be on the new D'Arcy show.. They're both from Kildare, so I'm sure they probably get on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ray Darcy to move back to RTE and fill the slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Ray Darcy to move back to RTE and fill the slot

As has just been pointed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Bear in mind that it was Mooney himself that wanted out... RTE seemed to be happy enough with him and that Foghorn O'Donohue....I wonder does that mean that Brenda will be on the new D'Arcy show.. They're both from Kildare, so I'm sure they probably get on..
    Mooney was pushed ,can't believe you've been taken in by the spin ... 'Nature and wildlife executive producer' !what a load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Rte IS AWFUL generally, It caters mainly for conservative oldies. Its depressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Saintly Scholar

Brenda is out of her depth and Pat O'Mahoney sounds like he's asking himself 'Where did it all go wrong for me?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

Why is Mooney Off so often ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Brenda is out of her depth and Pat O'Mahoney sounds like he's asking himself 'Where did it all go wrong for me?'

Allow me to have a go at answering that.
    He has no talent, an horrendous radio voice (yet another filthy Kildare accent in the same time slot as Madame Donohue), and he once called journalist David Quinn "a poisonous C$$t" on Twitter (for which he later apologised).

Actually, that last bit may have been the highlight of his career, depending on one's opinion of Mr. Quinn.

Why is Mooney Off so often ?
    Probably worked for three weeks in a row and found that he had a lot of back holidays due to him because of that marathon stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

In December, 2014, he left his afternoon show on Radio 1. "That was absolutely my decision. I just needed a break from it." Does he regret it? "Yes, completely, I regret that decision. I should have just taken a break."
    https://www.independent.ie/life/there-are-so-many-dull-people-on-radio-and-tv-35977489.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement