Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many tonne bags of firewood in a car trailer

Options
  • 25-09-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

How many emptied tonne bags of firewood would fit flat into a iFor car trailer?

Trying to gauge the difference between tonne bags of firewood versus a car trailer load.

I got a couple of flat loose trailer loads last year of ash for round 200. I think it worked out at around 30 fertilizer bags but I've no clue what that is in tonne/tonne bags.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Cubic capacity of trailer divided by Cubic capacity of tonne bag equals how many bags, or part of a bag it will take to fill the trailer. However if maximum weight load capacity of the trailer is 1 tonne then you are only going to get a maximum of 1bag into it, regardless if it fills the trailer or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

How many emptied tonne bags of firewood would fit flat into a iFor car trailer?

Trying to gauge the difference between tonne bags of firewood versus a car trailer load.

I got a couple of flat loose trailer loads last year of ash for round 200. I think it worked out at around 30 fertilizer bags but I've no clue what that is in tonne/tonne bags.

€200 for 30 bags collected would sound expensive even with a premium for seasoned ash.

Some details needed
    -As in ifor williams? Which one - ie what size is the trailer?
    - With the tonne bags do you mean the standard builders rubble bag that firewood is often sold in? (ie approx 90x90x90 - there wont be anything like a ton of firewood in it)

If it is that bag then I found approx 13 bags to fill such a bag.
    Depends how you stack the firewood into bag and if the blocks are consistent size to make then more compact in the bag.
    So depending on these factors then it could be 12 fertiliser bags or 14 bags

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

macjohn wrote: »

If it is that bag then I found approx 13 bags to fill such a bag.
    Depends how you stack the firewood into bag and if the blocks are consistent size to make then more compact in the bag.
    So depending on these factors then it could be 12 fertiliser bags or 14 bags

Ah yes this is what I'm looking for, sorry if I wasn't clear and I'm not sure on the exact size of the trailer, probably 12ft x 5ft.

13 fertilizer bags = 1 builder tonne bag.
    And I think we had 33 fertilizer bags in the trailer, so maybe 2 1/2 builder tonne bags in a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Ah yes this is what I'm looking for, sorry if I wasn't clear and I'm not sure on the exact size of the trailer, probably 12ft x 5ft.

13 fertilizer bags = 1 builder tonne bag.
    And I think we had 33 fertilizer bags in the trailer, so maybe 2 1/2 builder tonne bags in a trailer.

12ft would be moving out of car trailer territory, it would be a decent size trailer, think standard builders trailer - you would be most likely into double axle and should then be towing with a jeep.

Anyways ya, for my money if you were up to 33 bags, rather than 30, you would be gone well over two of the ton bags. Also are they defo fert bags rather than meal bags? Often you fit less in the fert bags than meal bags so might need to adjust up slightly from 13.

Some ton bags will be heaped up in the middle fitting a few more or even another fert bag of blocks, so buying/measuring is an imprecise science so these are all approx figures but most people agree that the better value in buying is to buy in bulk.
    If you got 33 fert bags for €200 if works out at €6 a bag collected by you (it needs to be really really top quality at this price) so you can work back as to best value at 13ish meal bags or 14ish fert bags in the ton bag.

Advertisement