Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annual leave

Options
  • 25-09-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

So bit of an issue with my current employer. I work in an electronics retail store. I have been working here since the 27th of January this year and so far not taken a single days annual leave. Not through lack of trying mind you, it seems every time I try to take leave, I get told no either there is alread someone off (although there has been plenty of times where there has been multiple people off) or there is an important product launch happening.

So I finally put down for 2 weeks in October as there is no launches or people off only to be told no we need you!!!! I'm not important or special in anyway just good not great at the job, and that you can have one week and you'll be paid for the second. Normally I would probably say sure fine. But not with this company I have seen people and been messed around with by this company in the past so I would expect that in writing first!

Secondly due to working in retail I can't take any time off between November and the middle of January so the remaining time I have left to take will have to be carried over but I'm only allowed to carry one week when I'll have 3 remaining if I take the above offer. What will happen to the rest? is my employer obliged to pay me for them or will I loose them? Any ideas thoughts and suggestions on all the above would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The company is legally obliged to give you your basic annual leave; paying off the basic 20 days a year is illegal unless you're leaving the company and if you've been there more than 8 months they have to give you 2 weeks off unbroken...

You can find this information and more here inc. where to complain to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Nody wrote: »
    The company is legally obliged to give you your basic annual leave; paying off the basic 20 days a year is illegal unless you're leaving the company and if you've been there more than 8 months they have to give you 2 weeks off unbroken...

You can find this information and more here inc. where to complain to.

Thanks nody. That's a good pdf and clearly written too 😊 I thought that much is 20 days statutory for full or part time I'm part time but do plent of hours

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Thanks nody. That's a good pdf and clearly written too 😊 I thought that much is 20 days statutory for full or part time I'm part time but do plent of hours

Full time.

Part time you are entitled to 8% of the hours you have worked.

So total up all the time you've worked so far this year in hours/days, then multiply by 0.08 and you'll know what you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd be pushing for 2 weeks of before the end of Oct. Once Nov hits you have very little chance of holidays till Feb. Ask around, did others have their holidays paid at the end of the year or did they lose them.

Sign of a bad manager if holidays are not planned throughout the year.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'd be pushing for 2 weeks of before the end of Oct. Once Nov hits you have very little chance of holidays till Feb. Ask around, did others have their holidays paid at the end of the year or did they lose them.

Sign of a bad manager if holidays are not planned throughout the year.

That's what I'm doing I booked 2 weeks from next monday on, over a week ago and this is how all this started essentially, the store hasn't had a proper manager since Oct last year...... they had one for like 3 weeks but he left pretty quick, assistant manager was in charge since October last year and even then took 2 months off due to stress and so on due to how the company/area manager was treating/bullying him.

Can't wait to get a new job :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's what I'm doing I booked 2 weeks from next monday on, over a week ago and this is how all this started essentially, the store hasn't had a proper manager since Oct last year...... they had one for like 3 weeks but he left pretty quick, assistant manager was in charge since October last year and even then took 2 months off due to stress and so on due to how the company/area manager was treating/bullying him.

Have you calculated what you are entitled to as per my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O god, the usual story. Nobody will sign off on employing a manager so they will just let the store limp on to Christmas with anyone driving it, great business decision.

OP is it the case that the assistant manager is not in a position to make the decision on your AL?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    O god, the usual story. Nobody will sign off on employing a manager so they will just let the store limp on to Christmas with anyone driving it, great business decision.

OP is it the case that the assistant manager is not in a position to make the decision on your AL?

Its all sorted showed the pdf that nody posted to my area manager next day I was in I get told you have your 2 weeks off 😀 . I didn't get the chance to calculate it yet but I won't be there soon so I hope they will just pay me what I'm owed when I leave. Thanks for the advice lads and ladies

Advertisement