Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer meals

Options
  • 25-09-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - I hope this thread is ok here. I know there is a recipe thread already, but I'm looking for something specific.

I'm due a baby early December and will have a bit of time between finishing work and delivery date all going to plan. A lot of websites recommend stocking up your freezer while you have the time to save cooking for the first while after baby comes home. Unfortunately, the websites suggest things like chicken casserole etc.

I usually don't freeze food at all so I don't know what can and can't be made and frozen in advance. I'm looking for some ideas of full meals, and components of meals that I can throw together easily, easy to use ingredients etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I always try to keep a stock of pasta sauces and curries in the freezer, then just reheat them in the microwave and cook some pasta or rice to serve them with. Best of luck with the new arrival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I know it's not a freezer meal, but I make this ALL THE TIME and it's amazing. I use the jars from IKEA (they're about a euro each) and preserve it in portions. It's incredibly handy to have some jars stored in the press with food that you can just pop in a pot, with no thawing out required. You can bulk it up with pasta if you need to also.

I made the sweet potato burgers from this website last week for my freezer, and they're pretty good too.

But mainly, I'd say, stock up on soups and casseroles or chilli; they'll last the longest. Then the usual lasagna etc if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

Fresh herbs can also be frozen. Chop first, then put into freezer bag. Then use them as you need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tbh, that's because it's the meaty things that take longer to cook! It's nearly as fast to make vegan/veggie things from scratch as you need the,.

After my baby was born, poached egg on toast, cheese on toast and avocado on toast were my go-to meals.

We do daals often, but they don't take long to make, especially with split lentils or tinned lentils.

My freezer is stocked with frozen peas, ginger, chillis, cooked/sliced breads and raw doughs.

Do you have a garden? I planted some spuds and onions in my few days before baby arrived. Was nice harvesting them later!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah pwurple I'm dreaming of a soft poached egg on toast.

You're right about the meat taking longer. That makes sense. I might just pre make some sauces and have them there and easy to grab in that case.

I do have a garden but can't plant any food in it due to my thieving dogs :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement