Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of gas meter tampering!

Options
  • 25-09-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I got home today to find a letter from Bord Gais saying I have "Unlawfully interfered with a gas meter". I called them two weeks ago to let them know there was an error appearing on my meter, I noticed it when I was topping it up, and that I owed 19 Euro. So I was in debt on the meter by 19 euro yet I was still getting gas in my home. I turned off my heating which is the only thing in my home that runs on gas and I called Bord Gais to tell them, they said it sounds like the meter wasn't working correctly. That evening a technician came out and took the meter and put in a new one.

Now this letter says I have to pay 250 Euro!!!! To replace the damaged meter that it had been tampered with. I rang them to tell them the meter wasn't working properly and now I'm being told I have to pay this ridiculous fee. I called them and I was told by the guy who answered the phone that he wasn't able to deal with my call that he would have to get someone to call me back. This is a joke I try and talk to someone about this and I'm told I have to sit here and wait for a call when they are ready to talk! A technician called out maybe only 2 months ago and checked the readings on my meter and he said everything was perfect!" Now I'm being accused of tampering with the meter! So which is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Infrastructure

There have been recent prosecutions for meter tampering. I don't know what type of meters or type of interference was involved.

Might it have been done before you moved in?

As you are essentially being accused of a criminal offence, it may be advisable to speak to a solicitor. www.flac.ie or your local Citizens Information Centre may be of assistance if you can't afford one.

Advertisement