Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bumbulance equipment stolen at Ploughing Championships *DONATION DETAILS IN OP*

13»

Comments

I also wrote a status on facebook trying to get friends and family to donate and share the status to try get more donations. Not many things disgust me but robbing from sick kids.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Seen earlier that Lidl have donated 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Donated there :) I'l donate a bit more when I get paid next week, good cause is a good cause after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Bumbleance is in such demand that a second one was needed, hence the visit to the ploughing to fundraise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The Bumbleance is in such demand that a second one was needed, hence the visit to the ploughing to fundraise.

Obviously it is shìt that things were stolen but I suppose to put a good spin on it, this could turn out to be a good thing if extra money and awareness is raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Great stunt by Bumbulance. Pretend that €800 of stuff gets stolen and then look at the donations roll in...

Come on, its AH. Somebody had to say it :)

In all seriousness though, great cause. Easiest €4 donation I have ever made.

Who steals from a kids ambulance ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Donated. That's rough. Hope they get caught.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

one of the charities that I would donate to quite a bit when I can. the work they do, with Liams Lodge and the Saorise foundation too is amazing, and whatever they can do to help the poor kids is worth donating for. good to see so many helping out, and as someone said, something so horrible that can happen could end up actually raising their profile even more and raising more money as a result, so at least some good came of a really, really disgusting act by some lowlife.

but reading through the thread, and this post-
    Hate to say this, but it's a bit crap that it was left unattended at least twice that day I.e. When you were looking at it, and when the theft occurred. No one expects a child's ambulance to be robbed, but at the same time - if I had been the person responsible for it at that time - it shouldn't have happened. The person should have arranged some one else to be on call that day, if being on call meant abandoning that big asset which so many have donated money towards. Some people are ****s, its common knowledge.

I donated before, but tbh I'm not particularly inclined to do so again. I'd question anyone who would leave valuable electronic goods lying around unsupervised.

Of course its only the thieves who are responsible. But at the same time, if you're going to donate to a charity, you'd hope that they could be entrusted with the safekeeping of such valuable equipment ...

I just cannot understand. Yeah, this maybe AH and all, but seriously, you wont donate to a terminally ill childrens charity because you think they cant be trusted to look after the things they buy with your donation. I'm seriously astounded how someone can read an article about how the founder of the charity, the father of 2 deceased kids took a phone call and items get stolen when he turned his back, and you lay the blame at the charity for not looking after their asset.

It would take some absolute scumbag lowlife to rob something from a specially made childs ambulance, someone with absolutely no morals whatsoever. No one would even dare think that someone, at a massively public event would do such a thing, but yet you wont donate to them again because of it.

Do you know what, I'm going to donate again on your behalf. They deserve all they can get for what they do, so if you wont do it, there are many many more who will. so stay up on your high horse slating a charity for not looking after your donation. go get a refund if it makes you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

bruschi wrote: »
    Do you know what, I'm going to donate again on your behalf. They deserve all they can get for what they do, so if you wont do it, there are many many more who will. so stay up on your high horse slating a charity for not looking after your donation. go get a refund if it makes you happy.

Well, great, I'm absolutely delighted to hear that, and I do appreciate the donation on my behalf.

I have only limited funds to donate to charities; LauraLynn House is my favoured one, and that's not going to change, but I'm always happy to see other childrens charities getting much needed support. I do agree that only the lowest of the low would rob from a kids ambulance; at least some good has come out of it in that they have received lots of donations and raised awareness of the service. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Well, great, I'm absolutely delighted to hear that, and I do appreciate the donation on my behalf.

I have only limited funds to donate to charities; LauraLynn House is my favoured one, and that's not going to change, but I'm always happy to see other childrens charities getting much needed support. I do agree that only the lowest of the low would rob from a kids ambulance; at least some good has come out of it in that they have received lots of donations and raised awareness of the service. :)

Really gracious response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ScumLord wrote: »
    I immediately thought of bubbles from the wire.

I doubt you'd get too many junkies making their way out to the ploughing championship. I'd say some **** just saw it unguarded and stole it on the assumption they could find someone who would buy the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Donated there

Receipt #4419

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Charity should not only be done, it must also be seen to be done.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Tzardine wrote: »
    Great stunt by Bumbulance. Pretend that €800 of stuff gets stolen and then look at the donations roll in...

In fairness, that would be a good stunt. Or if someone stole from them
    (temporarily or otherwise) in the hope of a response like this. Not that
    that's the case here! I'll top up and donate later, such a great cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Donated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

According to the article they expect to get 15,000 in donations as a result. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

So they need a second ambulance. Whoopsies boobs helped pay for the first one. Will she step up again?

ken wrote: »
    So they need a second ambulance. Whoopsies boobs helped pay for the first one. Will she step up again?

There was a fleet of MWHB ambulances parked up in Nenagh hospital for years. After the abolition of the health boards in 2005 and the roll out of new national ambulance service these 1999-2004 Mercedes Sprinter ambulances (this was in 2005 were just left parked up and later scrapped. Just shows you how the HSE burned money after it was set up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hate to say this, but it's a bit crap that it was left unattended at least twice that day I.e. When you were looking at it, and when the theft occurred. No one expects a child's ambulance to be robbed, but at the same time - if I had been the person responsible for it at that time - it shouldn't have happened. The person should have arranged some one else to be on call that day, if being on call meant abandoning that big asset which so many have donated money towards. Some people are ****s, its common knowledge.

I donated before, but tbh I'm not particularly inclined to do so again. I'd question anyone who would leave valuable electronic goods lying around unsupervised.

Of course its only the thieves who are responsible. But at the same time, if you're going to donate to a charity, you'd hope that they could be entrusted with the safekeeping of such valuable equipment ...

WOW, just WOW. You do realise that BUMBLEance is run by the Heffernans and there are not dozens of employees to answer phones to parents of critically ill children.
    By your standards , if your house is burgled, it is your fault. I'm actually so mad with this comment that I am not going to write much more, but hope you and yours never have need of the BUMBLEance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

WOW, just WOW. You do realise that BUMBLEance is run by the Heffernans and there are not dozens of employees to answer phones to parents of critically ill children.
    By your standards , if your house is burgled, it is your fault. I'm actually so mad with this comment that I am not going to write much more, but hope you and yours never have need of the BUMBLEance.

I also hope not.

Look like I said, only the lowest of the low would stoop so low as to rob a childrens ambulance.

But, the Ploughing Championships attract quite a few of our "lowest of the low" citizens; this is common knowledge. I'm sure whoever runs the charity would agree that, in hindsight, it maybe wasn't the best idea to bring it there if it was going to be left unattended.

If my house is burgled, if I have left it unattended with the doors wide open in an area known for petty theft ... well, it's not my fault, but I'd still admit afterwards that in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have never been but I wouldn't have thought the Ploughing Championship would attract more "lowest of the low" than any other festival/attraction

I also hope not.

Look like I said, only the lowest of the low would stoop so low as to rob a childrens ambulance.

But, the Ploughing Championships attract quite a few of our "lowest of the low" citizens; this is common knowledge. I'm sure whoever runs the charity would agree that, in hindsight, it maybe wasn't the best idea to bring it there if it was going to be left unattended.

If my house is burgled, if I have left it unattended with the doors wide open in an area known for petty theft ... well, it's not my fault, but I'd still admit afterwards that in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

Why are you ignoring the fact that ambulances get left unattended all the time?

You know that anyone can walk into a children's hospital and steal things too, do you want security guards on the doors too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are security guards on the doors of the children's hospitals... All hospitals actually...

Well all of the hospitals I've been in (Crumlin, Temple St, Rotunda, Coombe, Connolly, Mater, Beaumont, Vincents, James's)

January wrote: »
    There are security guards on the doors of the children's hospitals... All hospitals actually...

I meant at every door so that absolutely no piece of equipment is ever stolen.

I work in a hospital. That doesn't, and shouldn't, happen.

• Advertisement

Wellll stuff is robbed from Crumlin all the time, even down to the remotes for the TV... They ask you for a 5 euro deposit to use the remote in the heart centre in Crumlin now. They've have baby bouncers, high chairs, DVD players robbed on them before. It shouldn't happen but it does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wellll stuff is robbed from Crumlin all the time, even down to the remotes for the TV... They ask you for a 5 euro deposit to use the remote in the heart centre in Crumlin now. They've have baby bouncers, high chairs, DVD players robbed on them before. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Would that mean you wouldn't ever donate to them again because they can't be trusted to look after the valuable money you donated?

bruschi wrote: »
    Would that mean you wouldn't ever donate to them again because they can't be trusted to look after the valuable money you donated?

No, in fact I'm actually actively trying to fund raise for the heart centre at the moment so they can get more equipment in... It's unfortunate that low life people can do that to hospitals/ambulances but they can't physically chain stuff down or no one would get the use of it.

No, in fact I'm actually actively trying to fund raise for the heart centre at the moment so they can get more equipment in... It's unfortunate that low life people can do that to hospitals/ambulances but they can't physically chain stuff down or no one would get the use of it.

Unfortunately you missed the point of my posts entirely.

I know that stuff is robbed. The point is indigo twist thinks that if equipment can be stolen, it makes the charity irresponsible and therefore she wouldn't donate to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Has the NPA made a donation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Fcuking tinkers sick bastarding, had a win on the golf I'm gonna send the winnings to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Donation done, scumbags to do that to a childrens ambulance, I hope they never need it's services!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I hope they never need it's services!!:mad:
    Or they do and it's not available.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I also hope not.

Is it?! Certainly news to me, and I've attended quite a few times. Maybe you're more familiar with the championships than I am though. Still, as pointed out by others, the BUMBLEance is run by a very small crew and having a stand at the Ploughing Championships is an invaluable opportunity to raise awareness about what they do. The robbery was a horrendous occurrence, but please don't state it was expected behaviour from the type of clientele that the show attracted Your stance comes across as unrealistic and incredibly mean-spirited.

The only time I've seen trouble at the Ploughing was guys trying to sell fireworks in the car park or the occasional pick pocket. Any way, the point is that we need to support Bumbleance. If you cannot see why, then don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I just want to leave the country and never come back when I see things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

daRobot wrote: »
    I just want to leave the country and never come back when I see things like this.

This sort of thing happens all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

This sort of thing happens all over the world.

In some places more than others. Outside of Ireland and the UK, the chances if something like this happening are significantly less. There really is a special breed of lowlife in existence on these islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I must admit I never heard of the BUMBLEance until I heard Chris and Ivan on Newstalk Breakfast discussing what happened.

I decided to make a donation there and then, not just for what happened, but because BUMBLEance is such a bloody cool name for anything that it deserves a donation just for that !

I hope those who stole from it are caught and get what they have coming to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Why is it called a Bumbulance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The founder's daughter, who died from Batten's disease, loved bees. They are the icon of the charity Bee for Battens for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Oh, that's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Macavity. wrote: »
    Why is it called a Bumbulance?

Because it goes nee-naw-nee-naw? The bee's nees, obviously. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Nice little thank you card received in the post this morning. Nice touch for a small donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

This is an incredibly disappointing outcome if it's true. I still think it's a wonderful charity and has helped so many young children in dire times and I will continue to donate to it. Short sighted gains may well have irreconcilably damaged the huge amounts of work put into this by the heffernan family. It's very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What's the implication here? I read the article, but I am tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

keith16 wrote: »
    What's the implication here? I read the article, but I am tired.

That the alleged theft was made up to get publicity and extra donations I guess?

Going to wait until the CCTV is reviewed by and if any action taken by Gardai before commenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Jaysus :(

Advertisement